Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
babykms

Please Advise How To Get Rid Of New Cabinet Smell....

I just renovated my 5-rm and the smell from all the cabinets (kitchen, wardrobes, shoe cabinet) make my eyes tear when I open them! Air fresheners not working. Help.......!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You can rid the smells by using charcoals. Alternatively, you can also place chopped onion (disect onion into half) in water (partial submerge) in a small container such as those used for KFC whipped potato (small). But do remember to rid the onions within the next 2 days. If not, the smell will be worse than the newly renovated smell.

I do have the same problem as well, I thought it is because of the paint!! haha...

Is the activated charcoal the charcoal that we used for BBQ?

If you've purchased wood furniture that has a musty smell, of if you've been storing furniture in a basement or another damp area, you can get rid of the musty smell without stripping, sanding, and refinishing the furniture. You don't have to put up with musty smelling wood furniture every again!

Coffee

Ground dry coffee is a great odor remover. Truck drivers use it to remove stale odors from inside their rigs, and I've used it to remove musty odors in a cabinet beneath my sink. If the interior of wood furniture smells musty after cleaning, place bowls of fresh ground coffee in the drawers and cabinets. Allow it to absorb odors for at least 24 hours before removing.

Charcoal

In many cases, ordinary charcoal briquettes are even better at removing musty odors from wood furniture. I like the fact that charcoal briquettes are virtually odorless, and once odors are removed, the furniture

won't smell like anything in particular. Place bowls of charcoal briquettes inside musty cabinets and drawers, and allow them to remain undisturbed for at least 24 hours. After removing musty odors, the briquettes don't have to go to waste. If desired, they can be returned to the bag and used once again for odor removal or charcoal grilling.

Baking Soda

If you want to try something inexpensive that also works well to get rid of foul odors in wood furniture, place bowls of baking soda inside musty cabinets and drawers. Baking soda is a natural odor remover, and it will effectively remove musty smells from all types of wood furniture. You'll find baking soda in large boxes that are meant for cleaning and deodorizing large areas, and you'll be surprised by how cheap it is compared to other odor removal options.

I tried Lemons.

It works too. :thumbs up:

<!--quoteo(post=607710:date=Jan 28 2011, 11:43 AM:name=Chanel26)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chanel26 @ Jan 28 2011, 11:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=607710"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you've purchased wood furniture that has a musty smell, of if you've been storing furniture in a basement or another damp area, you can get rid of the musty smell without stripping, sanding, and refinishing the furniture. You don't have to put up with musty smelling wood furniture every again!

<b>Coffee</b>

Ground dry coffee is a great odor remover. Truck drivers use it to remove stale odors from inside their rigs, and I've used it to remove musty odors in a cabinet beneath my sink. If the interior of wood furniture smells musty after cleaning, place bowls of fresh ground coffee in the drawers and cabinets. Allow it to absorb odors for at least 24 hours before removing.

<b>Charcoal</b>

In many cases, ordinary charcoal briquettes are even better at removing musty odors from wood furniture. I like the fact that charcoal briquettes are virtually odorless, and once odors are removed, the furniture

won't smell like anything in particular. Place bowls of charcoal briquettes inside musty cabinets and drawers, and allow them to remain undisturbed for at least 24 hours. After removing musty odors, the briquettes don't have to go to waste. If desired, they can be returned to the bag and used once again for odor removal or charcoal grilling.

<b>Baking Soda</b>

If you want to try something inexpensive that also works well to get rid of foul odors in wood furniture, place bowls of baking soda inside musty cabinets and drawers. Baking soda is a natural odor remover, and it will effectively remove musty smells from all types of wood furniture. You'll find baking soda in large boxes that are meant for cleaning and deodorizing large areas, and you'll be surprised by how cheap it is compared to other odor removal options.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have found that using Baking Soda is a key. It has been well know to pull smells out of refridgerators and also works into cabinets as well. Buy placing an open box inside of each cabinet and leave it in the cabinet for a month, you should see an inprovement in the smell within a week. This is safe dext to dishes and inexpensive to purchase.

You can try the charcoal specially for removing odours, I bought from Daiso, one packet of 8-10 sticks is $2. I tried it in my new fridge and after a few days the smell was gone. :)

hi all, will tea bags work? i tried pandan leaves but wasnt effective..

maybe i can try using soap as suggested by rickoveron

My new cabinet has a v strong smell n makes my eyes tear. Have tried charcoal, baking soda, vinegar, and smell is still there after 1 yr. Furthermore it still makes my eyes tear !! any advice ?

so is it better to leave some gap between cabinet doors to avoid the strong smell in the cabinet?? :/

Edited by ling00

Hi all! I heard here that this yellow fruit is a real treasure that can make any meal twice as delicious and fresh. http://livecustomwriting.com/blog/spare-lemons-left-in-fridge-use-them-wisely If you are expecting guests and don't know what to cook for them, don't worry! Just take some of my lemon recipes that are easy and not even a very skilled cook.