Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zer061zer0

Bought A Resale Flat, And Still Receiving Ex-owners And Tenants Letters!

I bought a resale flat, and completion was done last month (28/1).

This house was tenanted for the last few years, but the tenants had shifted away since Oct 2010.

However, I am still receiving all their mails, including CPF, bank and other statutory board letters. Is there anyway I can complain to ICA or SPF that the tenants are still using my address on their IC? This is rather worrying, as it means they can go borrow money from loansharks, and I will be the one bearing all the problems!

Thanks guys!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I bought a resale flat, and completion was done last month (28/1).

This house was tenanted for the last few years, but the tenants had shifted away since Oct 2010.

However, I am still receiving all their mails, including CPF, bank and other statutory board letters. Is there anyway I can complain to ICA or SPF that the tenants are still using my address on their IC? This is rather worrying, as it means they can go borrow money from loansharks, and I will be the one bearing all the problems!

Thanks guys!

Its always like that for resale flat. Give another 2month and look out for ex owner letter & not tenant letter. If after few months stillreceive owner letter like income tax etc.. then you should be worry. I also having same problem like yours few months ago and lucky enough no more ex owner but still receive 1 or 2 letter from ex ex tenant and I use to write on the letter "This person has moved" and put back the return mail box but now I just throw away those letter not belong to me.

first 6 mth, I wrote

1. "No such person" for those name does not belong to the previous owner.

2. CPF, IRAS, Banks, Insurance letter belong to the previous owner, wrote "this person has shifted out on MMYYY"

After 6 mths, all went straight to dustbin.

The only things didn't went straight to dustbin is national geographic magazine that they had subscribe.

If they don't bother to change their address. Mean those letter are not important.

Will Stat Boards like CPF/ IRAS etc all be bothered to change the addresses on their end if I do that?

Also, the ex-tenants have owed SP services more than 600bucks (according to the agents) , and the reminder letters are still coming!

Will Stat Boards like CPF/ IRAS etc all be bothered to change the addresses on their end if I do that?

Also, the ex-tenants have owed SP services more than 600bucks (according to the agents) , and the reminder letters are still coming!

No.

CPF and IRAS don't change the address base on your input. Need the exact person go and change his address on NRIC.

May be they will put a record in their database. Person not contactable.. <my guess>

Ex-tenants.. that's under his name not yours.

reminder letter.. just return back to SP services. If they still keep on sending after few return.

email to spservices@singaporepower.com.sg

No.

CPF and IRAS don't change the address base on your input. Need the exact person go and change his address on NRIC.

May be they will put a record in their database. Person not contactable.. <my guess>

Ex-tenants.. that's under his name not yours.

reminder letter.. just return back to SP services. If they still keep on sending after few return.

email to spservices@singaporepower.com.sg

Great! Thanks for your advice!

I have received three different firm's lawyer letter because the previous owner default his credit card payment to the banks, after I have moved in for more than 3 months.

I check with the lawyer to see if I can lodge a police report because apparently, the previous owner never update his new address to the bank or government. The lawyer told me that the police has little to help on such cases.

I always wonder why the previous owner never give me his contact , nor he have ever contact me since he moved out.Now I am praying hard the previous owner never use this address to borrow money from loan shark...

Appreciate if anyone have a solution to this issue...

Great! Thanks for your advice!

1. SP's SAP computer programme is smart enough not allowing 2 different clients' ID under same address, otherwise SP eats north-east wind liao. SP will get court's order to deduct o/s amount from that person's cpf account as & when they deem fit.

2. Statutory boards letters received mean this tenant has not updated his address! It is illegal thus constitutes an offence if address not updated within 28 days after moving out. Public Prosecutor has the POWER to bring him to court. SPF will notify PP if to bring him to court if SPF has the evidence which needs to be provided by you! This is a criminal act, SPF has the constitutional duty to handle this.

3. Question is, can police catch hold of him?

If I were you, I will make a police report, attached with the relevant letters on tenant's name & IC number. Frame up the police report, take note of the report number, name of police office who makes the record, and the date. Keep all the incoming st board letters (write date of receival on outside), discard the rest of letters, for 1 month. If no improvement, go to MP with all the st board letters & the report.

Edited by bepgof

1. SP's SAP computer programme is smart enough not allowing 2 different clients' ID under same address, otherwise SP eats north-east wind liao. SP will get court's order to deduct o/s amount from that person's cpf account as & when they deem fit.

2. Statutory boards letters received mean this tenant has not updated his address! It is illegal thus constitutes an offence if address not updated within 28 days after moving out. Public Prosecutor has the POWER to bring him to court. SPF will notify PP if to bring him to court if SPF has the evidence which needs to be provided by you! This is a criminal act, SPF has the constitutional duty to handle this.

3. Question is, can police catch hold of him?

If I were you, I will make a police report, attached with the relevant letters on tenant's name & IC number. Frame up the police report, take note of the report number, name of police office who makes the record, and the date. Keep all the incoming st board letters (write date of receival on outside), discard the rest of letters, for 1 month. If no improvement, go to MP with all the st board letters & the report.

I beg to differ on pt 2, from my experience. SPF and ICA will not take any actions, all they will do is play tai chi, pushing the responsibility to each other. No actions had ever been taken for not changing address, at least not reported in the papers. :horse:

Pt 3 is quite useful, at least in my case. No letters from legal creditors after sending them a copy of the report and pasting the police report outside my house. Hope the peaceful days will last! :D If the problem persists, I will be gg to my MP and the idiots will get into trouble, esp those working in govt bodies.. :bleah:

No complaints = no actions from SPF, therefore no alert to public prosecutors, tenants are at large. Even complained, SPF has no "strategy" to act on situation like this(pt 3).

The supercomputer at SPF stores thumbprints of all citizen, perheps, SPF should input the "culprit"'s biodata & work with ICA's computers at various checkpoints to deny entry/exit when "culprit" happen to be gaining entry/exit there. :D

I beg to differ on pt 2, from my experience. SPF and ICA will not take any actions, all they will do is play tai chi, pushing the responsibility to each other. No actions had ever been taken for not changing address, at least not reported in the papers. :horse:

Pt 3 is quite useful, at least in my case. No letters from legal creditors after sending them a copy of the report and pasting the police report outside my house. Hope the peaceful days will last! :D If the problem persists, I will be gg to my MP and the idiots will get into trouble, esp those working in govt bodies.. :bleah:

Edited by bepgof

For me, first two month after 2nd appt, consolidate and ask ex owner to take, at the same time final reminder. Third month open envelope scan n pdf n email to sender. Subsequent month str8 into junk mail.

Though SPF can't produce practical & effective help on this, it is SPF's CONSTITUTIONAL DUTY (they take taxpayer's money, should make them work for you)to crack down any CRIMINAL act. Not updating address within 28 days is classified as "criminal act". That is why I said earlier that please take down officer's name, report number and date. Go to meet Wong KS if this criminal act can't be solved within a certain time!

Next, you have everyright to COMPLETELY ignor those letters(white, or red) where you are not the addressee. Anyone(except police)not that you know of come & harass you, ask police to handle, as simple as that.

I have received three different firm's lawyer letter because the previous owner default his credit card payment to the banks, after I have moved in for more than 3 months.

I check with the lawyer to see if I can lodge a police report because apparently, the previous owner never update his new address to the bank or government. The lawyer told me that the police has little to help on such cases.

I always wonder why the previous owner never give me his contact , nor he have ever contact me since he moved out.Now I am praying hard the previous owner never use this address to borrow money from loan shark...

Appreciate if anyone have a solution to this issue...

Edited by bepgof

Made the effort to call the banks regarding the change of address of previous owner. Most bank are quite responsive but..

1. Citibank - Makes the calls to request of no less than 6 times, nonetheless, still receiving letters from them. It's so frustrating that they are even sending credit service firm employee to harass my unit. Withdraw all my accounts from Citibank and sent a complain letters to Citibank right after, Citibank still requesting me to go down to singpost and returned all the previous owner's letter. No apologize on any matters pertaining the mails nor the credit service firm's harassment, unbelievable !

2. CIMB bank - They responded that they will only updates the address only when the previous owner requested to do so. It is so apparent that the previous owner's purposely avoiding all the letters. Make some noise on my second calls to them , hopefully no more letters gonna receive from them.

Was so upsetting about how the banks operates.. I am sure I am not the first case anyway..

Though SPF can't produce practical & effective help on this, it is SPF's CONSTITUTIONAL DUTY (they take taxpayer's money, should make them work for you)to crack down any CRIMINAL act. Not updating address within 28 days is classified as "criminal act". That is why I said earlier that please take down officer's name, report number and date. Go to meet Wong KS if this criminal act can't be solved within a certain time!

Next, you have everyright to COMPLETELY ignor those letters(white, or red) where you are not the addressee. Anyone(except police)not that you know of come & harass you, ask police to handle, as simple as that.

Made the effort to call the banks regarding the change of address of previous owner. Most bank are quite responsive but..

1. Citibank - Makes the calls to request of no less than 6 times, nonetheless, still receiving letters from them. It's so frustrating that they are even sending credit service firm employee to harass my unit. Withdraw all my accounts from Citibank and sent a complain letters to Citibank right after, Citibank still requesting me to go down to singpost and returned all the previous owner's letter. No apologize on any matters pertaining the mails nor the credit service firm's harassment, unbelievable !

2. CIMB bank - They responded that they will only updates the address only when the previous owner requested to do so. It is so apparent that the previous owner's purposely avoiding all the letters. Make some noise on my second calls to them , hopefully no more letters gonna receive from them.

Was so upsetting about how the banks operates.. I am sure I am not the first case anyway..

Personal experience. Updated new address with SP services, Starhub, M1, Banks..... all acknowledge and update of change in address, but con't to send the statements and bills to old address. 2nd month after shift out, called again to inform and update changes. Again received acknowledgement, then cycle repeat again. Only on the 4th month then the mails get to the correct address. Lucky thing is the buyer of the flat is very nice and always keep the letters and passed to my ex-neighbour.

Out the blues now (6th month) received a Bill from Starhub indicating an outstanding bill from the old address where we paid before suspending the services for 1month during the reno period. KNN.