Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
neubie

Hdb Abolishes Sibling Scheme

SINGAPORE: Unmarried Singaporean and Permanent Resident (PR) siblings whose parents live overseas can no longer buy a new or resale HDB flat, from Monday.

The government said they can either rent a room or a small flat from the open market.

It said with the liberalisation of the subletting market for HDB flats over the years, the Citizen-Singapore PR sibling scheme, introduced since 1990, is now no longer necessary.

Previously, the government allowed unmarried Singaporean siblings to buy a new or resale HDB flat, while PR siblings could buy a resale flat on a case-by-case basis with certain conditions attached.

Senior Minister of State for National Development & Education Grace Fu said: "As HDB has been very stringent in assessing applications for this scheme, the number of such cases is small.

"There are about 300 cases each year, or less than one per cent of total flat transactions".

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
basically this scheme benefit to PR rather then Singaporean.

but if both singaporean siblings are orphans, then they have to rent room or flat by themselves? If the parents didn't leave behind housing for them lah....

but i agreed! seldom hear singaporean will use this scheme.

but if both singaporean siblings are orphans, then they have to rent room or flat by themselves? If the parents didn't leave behind housing for them lah....

but i agreed! seldom hear singaporean will use this scheme.

i think that will fall under the "Orphan scheme", not the "sibling scheme".....

btw, thanks bro neubie for keeping us updated with property news :)

Edited by marshmallow

Basically GE is coming so they are able to push issue thru rapidly. If you realised, not even need to mention by HDB or debate in the house, they can get things going. But don expect the same resolute after GE.

Altho is just 1% of the market but the need of a roof above head is still there mah, funny tho Singaporean cannot buy HDB under "sibling scheme" but can buy as single above 35yrs old. case by case gua.... anyway is just directly closing the door for SPR under "sibling scheme" since they dun have the option to buy as single above 35yrs old. ;)

I think likewise. Now fast hand fast leg patching up the "holes", not letting opposition have "holes" to shoot.

CPF scheme's hole too big, cannot be patched up in time. This hole is getting bigger. Luckily Mr.Goodyear realised this and run away fast.

Basically GE is coming so they are able to push issue thru rapidly. If you realised, not even need to mention by HDB or debate in the house, they can get things going. But don expect the same resolute after GE.
Edited by bepgof

This scheme in the first place don't make sense.

One hand, government is telling us to accept PR b'coz we need them to fill up the population quota.

ALL b'coz we citizen didn't give birth to 4 or more children.

If PR buy HDB unit with sibing, then it defeat the purpose of filling up the population quota.

Regardless what, they react so fast , all b'coz of election is coming.

Altho is just 1% of the market but the need of a roof above head is still there mah, funny tho Singaporean cannot buy HDB under "sibling scheme" but can buy as single above 35yrs old. case by case gua.... anyway is just directly closing the door for SPR under "sibling scheme" since they dun have the option to buy as single above 35yrs old. ;)

Haha that action of govt will indirectly influence more Single PRs to get married now so that they can buy resale HDBs. More get married, more babies?

An article on Temasek Review actually shows that PRs have a lower birth rate than Singaporeans. :P

Edited by forgotten

Haha that action of govt will indirectly influence more Single PRs to get married now so that they can buy resale HDBs. More get married, more babies?

An article on Temasek Review actually shows that PRs have a lower birth rate than Singaporeans. :P

i think PRs face more problems than citizens when considering babies... higher costs to them and no grandpa grandma to take care.

On a side note, i would think that PRs should not even be given the right to buy resale HDB. HDB BTO prices are pegged to resale market and this is increased the burden of citizens buying BTOs.

When they ban PRs from buying, thats when i will salute HDB and say that they are doing it for the people here. The mere act of abolishing sibling schemes do not go far enough on a country perspective.

i think PRs face more problems than citizens when considering babies... higher costs to them and no grandpa grandma to take care.

On a side note, i would think that PRs should not even be given the right to buy resale HDB. HDB BTO prices are pegged to resale market and this is increased the burden of citizens buying BTOs.

When they ban PRs from buying, thats when i will salute HDB and say that they are doing it for the people here. The mere act of abolishing sibling schemes do not go far enough on a country perspective.

if they ban PR from buying, then many of the PR can just convert to citizen after 2 years and fight with you for BTO/any new HDB flats/CPF grant/HDB loan. is that what we want too? ;)

I would prefer single PR should not have the right to buy HDB.

Don't underestimate them.

I know 1 china couple. Wife convert to Singaporean. Husband PR.

So they can buy direct HDB.. price cheaper. Take HDB loan. Take CPF Grant and simi grant they can take

Wife expecting..

if baby girl. Give birth in Singapore. Got baby bouns and edu $, etc

if baby boy, take leave, go back to china and give birth. Declare the boy as china citizen. Avoid NS.

if they ban PR from buying, then many of the PR can just convert to citizen after 2 years and fight with you for BTO/any new HDB flats/CPF grant/HDB loan. is that what we want too? ;)

no need convert both. Just convert 1 , can flight with you for BTO and etc

i believe citizenship would not be granted as easily as PRs. Not all PRs would want to convert to citizens as they have to give up their citizenship elsewhere..

well, since they become citizens, we should look at them in the same light le. Notwithstanding no NS served. :P