Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
boyblunder

Our 1st Place

D day +25

Updates: Part 1

More pictures of the renovations. Slower than planned but i guess it's quite normal.

Trunking and wires for my electrical works.

2a4cd0b9.jpg

25f9d843.jpg

Laying of the shower kerb.

f74f6452.jpg

The completed shower kerb, Wc and pipings.

b13a0843.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Part 2

High wire act for the trunking for my stair lights

b668bbb4.jpg

This is some of the work which i felt was not done nicely. The electrician said it will be patched up with silicon. Hopefully it will be nice.

cdc7b840.jpg

I take it you got your speaker wire then ;).

It is coming on pretty well so far.

The filling for the trunking is usually passed on to the painters by the electricians so will need to check them. Fillin gin the big gaps is not so easy to get a nice finish. I tend to cut fill plastic pieces from left over trunking and glue them to fill most the gap then seal up and hide all joints with filler.

RB

D Day +26

Aircon is done ip today and tomorrows gonna be the false ceiling guys coming over. But now i face a problem! I wanted to run trunking for the fibre optic cable to run for open net in the future as my opennet will only be installed in 2012. But my electrician advised me against it as he said he had a few cases of guys who did that and opennet installation guys refused to pull the cable through those trunking he has installed earlier. Headache!! :unsure:

D Day +26

Aircon is done ip today and tomorrows gonna be the false ceiling guys coming over. But now i face a problem! I wanted to run trunking for the fibre optic cable to run for open net in the future as my opennet will only be installed in 2012. But my electrician advised me against it as he said he had a few cases of guys who did that and opennet installation guys refused to pull the cable through those trunking he has installed earlier. Headache!! :unsure:

Hi Boyblunder, I rem reading tis before:

Seashall from Renotalk shared the reply he got from the OpenNet team:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25567

folks,

this is an <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>important msg </b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->especially if u have built in feature wall or tv console:

<a href="http://www.opennet.com.sg/network-rollout/" target="_blank">http://www.opennet.com.sg/network-rollout/</a>

there is a islandwide installation of cable that is meant for high speed internet and watch high def tv... it is actually meant for Singapore’s Next Generation National Broadband Network (Next Gen NBN). refer to IDA website on this: <a href="http://www.ida.gov.sg/Infrastructure/20060919190208.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.ida.gov.sg/Infrastructure/20060919190208.aspx</a>

so if u have built in feature wall or tv console, u may have to ask your carpenter/electrician to follow opennet's instructions to make way for their installation to avoid ugly trunking to surface!

Not sure if this helps if not can ask Soichiro who just did up his place? And maybe can ask RimBlock the resident tech guy? Hope you can find a good solution.

On the bright side, reno seems to be progressing well. :thumbs up:

UPDATE: Oops, the stuff I read last time is gone! Paiseh. Luckily I saved in my blog before: http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/how-to-avoid-ugly-trunkings-for-opennet-installation/

This is the reply from OpenNet staff on the guidelines:

Attached are some suggestions on general guidelines which may be helpful to home owners who may be doing some renovations works within the Home.

1. Designate a Location:

(i) Designate a particular location, such as a designated closet, where all the telecommunication facilities can be installed within. This will facilitate connections and ensure that the installation can be performed presentably & neatly.

2. Ensure “Conduit or Path” To The Designated Location So That Fibre Can Be Installed

For Condominiums / HDBs / High Rise Residential Homes

(ii) Ensure or cater for an empty 20mm uPVC conduit or PVC trunking compartment to the above location (eg. The closet). The conduit should be installed in straight runs or be able to accommodate bending radius of the central line of the conduit not less than 100mm.

(iii) A draw rope shall be provided in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

For Landed Homes

Ensure 1 empty 50mm diamerter uPVC continuous lead-in and underground pipe to be provided from 1m beyond the roadside drain to the designated location.

Ensure that there is a draw rope in the empty conduit so that the fibre cable can be installed subsequently.

This will facilitate the installation of fibre into the home & near points of connection.

3. Ensure Accessories At The Designated Location Is Catered For

(iv) Install twin 13A power point/socket at the designated location (eg. Within the closet), so as to provide power to any equipment.

(v) Install RJ45 patch panel. No. of ports should be greater than the no. of rooms of units .

4. Internal Wiring / Cabling

(vi) Owners are encouraged to install Cat 6 cables for internal cabling from the patch panel to all rooms. This will ensure internal cabling connectivity.

Its important to note that Unshielded Twisted Pair (Cat 6) cables should not exceed 100m runs from the RJ45 patch panel to the RJ45 wall outlet.

Regards

The OpenNet Team

Edited by adidaem

Hi Boyblunder, I rem reading tis before:

Seashall from Renotalk shared the reply he got from the OpenNet team:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25567

Not sure if this helps if not can ask Soichiro who just did up his place? And maybe can ask RimBlock the resident tech guy? Hope you can find a good solution.

On the bright side, reno seems to be progressing well. :thumbs up:

UPDATE: Oops, the stuff I read last time is gone! Paiseh. Luckily I saved in my blog before: http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/how-to-avoid-ugly-trunkings-for-opennet-installation/

Thanks adi, i got useful advice from RB earlier as well. I also got the email from Opennet regarding the installation of the trunking. Also asked Sochiro about his running of his trunking. It's just that its frustrating that my electrician keeps asking me to buy the cable without knowing much details himself. Just a few experiences with the opennet guys that refused to pull the cable for him. I wonder why. :dancingqueen:

Thanks adi, i got useful advice from RB earlier as well. I also got the email from Opennet regarding the installation of the trunking. Also asked Sochiro about his running of his trunking. It's just that its frustrating that my electrician keeps asking me to buy the cable without knowing much details himself. Just a few experiences with the opennet guys that refused to pull the cable for him. I wonder why. :dancingqueen:

Hey Boyblunder, I'm not too savvy about this kinda technical stuff, but my SO told me he's asking the Hub/Star (??) Troopers from Starhub to visit our place to advise on the Cat 6 cable installation - we may also use their electrician for the cabling.

Errrr... is that even helpful? Sorry, am such a ditz at such things. :P

But hope you get the wiring thing settled soon.

when the opennet guys came to install for my current place last year, they were more than happy to run whatever could be done through my existing trunking and then install the rest themselves. perhaps things have changed since then with new rulings in place to cover opennet's backside after unreasonable customers :rolleyes:good luck anyways!

u can get the contact for the opennet guy from Mae, should be able to buy the fiber cable off him and get ur electrician to run it first with terminating points unconnected. Or just pay the 220sgd+ for the opennet guys to installed all the way through and save yourself the headache of future installations, albeit free.

Hey Boyblunder, I'm not too savvy about this kinda technical stuff, but my SO told me he's asking the Hub/Star (??) Troopers from Starhub to visit our place to advise on the Cat 6 cable installation - we may also use their electrician for the cabling.

Errrr... is that even helpful? Sorry, am such a ditz at such things. :P

But hope you get the wiring thing settled soon.

Sorted i guess. Just drill more holes nia. :dunno:

when the opennet guys came to install for my current place last year, they were more than happy to run whatever could be done through my existing trunking and then install the rest themselves. perhaps things have changed since then with new rulings in place to cover opennet's backside after unreasonable customers :rolleyes:good luck anyways!

Thanks!! i guess its consumer power and i just have to be nice to the installers.

u can get the contact for the opennet guy from Mae, should be able to buy the fiber cable off him and get ur electrician to run it first with terminating points unconnected. Or just pay the 220sgd+ for the opennet guys to installed all the way through and save yourself the headache of future installations, albeit free.

Thanks buddy. I tried calling the opennet guys to ask for contractor contact but they refuse to gimme. I even said i will pay for it but answer is no again. False ceiling is going up as i am typing now. So i guess i got no time le. Just have to do what my electrician suggest. Well, i guess its a case of me doing things last minute again thats killing me.

D Day + 38

Floor tiles should be all done by today. Leaving with just the cleaning up and carpentry to go. Also some of my lights are arriving from china today as well. I really hope they are nice! Here are some photos of the reno in progress.

The Work in process for the box up in Common toilet

cb96ed6b.jpg

IMG_3572.jpg

The boxed up pipes in my Master bedroom toilets

019e0564.jpg

b1f5e177.jpg

nice progress bro, can see that your staricase railings will be WOW ! :sport-smiley-004:

Thanks thanks, i also hope it will be wow.

Yup I second that. Can't wait to see how the staircase turns out - it's coming along very nicely!

Thanks!!!! i also can't wait.