Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edenstrauss

What Type Of Led Lights Is Suitable?

Hi folks,

I'm feeling terribly lost... :unsure: Heard of LED lights before but have never had any at home; only saw them being used in showrooms (LED strips) or signages.

I need to install LED lights at 2 distinctive locations on the ceiling of my HDB flat, turned them on 24 by 7. However, I had only gone down to a lighting shop near Lucky Khoon @ Joo Chiat to take a look.

A 3-watt LED spot-light (for ceiling) which we felt that were suitable in lighting up those 2 spots, was quoted as $298 each. That was really steep!

The staff there claimed that their product was made in Taiwan. But warranty was only 1 year.

When we tried to obtain the best price from the staff, she said that she risk losing her job if she asked her boss & we decided not to go ahead with the purchase after the discount was given. So we thanked her & walked out of the shop.

Could anybody be as kind to enlighten me on what's really recommended for our requirements? Are all LED ceiling lights that consume relatively lower watts so expensive?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi folks,

I'm feeling terribly lost... :unsure: Heard of LED lights before but have never had any at home; only saw them being used in showrooms (LED strips) or signages.

I need to install LED lights at 2 distinctive locations on the ceiling of my HDB flat, turned them on 24 by 7. However, I had only gone down to a lighting shop near Lucky Khoon @ Joo Chiat to take a look.

A 3-watt LED spot-light (for ceiling) which we felt that were suitable in lighting up those 2 spots, was quoted as $298 each. That was really steep!

The staff there claimed that their product was made in Taiwan. But warranty was only 1 year.

When we tried to obtain the best price from the staff, she said that she risk losing her job if she asked her boss & we decided not to go ahead with the purchase after the discount was given. So we thanked her & walked out of the shop.

Could anybody be as kind to enlighten me on what's really recommended for our requirements? Are all LED ceiling lights that consume relatively lower watts so expensive?

Maybe u can go to lighting.com.sg and ask about it.

Hey edenstrauss ,

If your purpose is to have 2 areas lit up 24 hours a day, you may not necessarily need LED lights. LED lights are more expensive and tend to be less bright.

You could visit lightings.com.sg and seek their advice. Tell them your criteria, to leave on for long periods, etc. They are the sole distributer for some philips lights, which I think have very good quality products in their range.

Hi folks,

whether is led recessed downlight or led surface light,

the price she quote are crazy price, dun buy from them, you can get it cheaper else where. a guide for you

the MR16 3W led lamp itself should not be more than $50 dollar each excluding driver and housing.

whether is led recessed downlight or led surface light,

the price she quote are crazy price, dun buy from them, you can get it cheaper else where. a guide for you

the MR16 3W led lamp itself should not be more than $50 dollar each excluding driver and housing.

Hi joemit7850,

thank u too for your advice :)

U r all very helpful with blur-queens like myself :P

But please do pardon me for my ignorance. What is MR16 3W LED lamp? It's not those tiny weeny bit of LED lamps for signages right?

driver - I think I can understand what it is.

housing - what is it? Is it a cover to cover the bulb?

:unsure:

And how big is the MR16 LED lamp?

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi Jaskel & Soichiro

thanks for your advice :)

lightings.com.sg had a few branches. R there any preferred branch that I should be going to?

U can go to balestier showroom

Hi joemit7850,

But please do pardon me for my ignorance. What is MR16 3W LED lamp? It's not those tiny weeny bit of LED lamps for signages right?

MR16 3W LED lamp is just like spotlight, instead of halogen they using LED. Think that is a thread on MR16 LED.

Hi joemit7850,

And how big is the MR16 LED lamp?

MR16 is the type of 2pin type led lamp which normally ppl are using to replace those small recessed halogen downlight , it different from those use in signage which are normally those continous strip led.

all led lamp need led driver to power up or call it operate.

housing refer to the "house" to kept your led lamp.

you did not mention what type of led fitting you are looking for eg: recessed downlight? or those more decorative surface (not recessed) led fitting, if you do , i can provide more information.

Hi joemit7850,

what is recessed downlight?

I'm not going for those romantic type of ambience... becox all we require is just the light there on the ceiling to be turned on 24 hours a day without turning it off.

We're not concerned about designer style but so long as it serves the function of lighting up that area of the room, that'll be good enough. Has to be mounted on the ceiling :)

But those MR16 LED lights - becox they've a 2-pin, will it be tough to plug them in on the ceiling or pull them out eventually? (that's if they need to be unplugged)

And they'll "die" on us if we use 2 much force to pull it out or the pin might jux break & get stuck in the power socket... It happened to us when we were dismantling electrical appliances before...

Many LED bulbs come with multiple emitters in it. Note that you have to decide when to change the bulb as the emitters will die one by one. Sometimes abit waste to change whole bulb when only a few emitters are gone, just not as bright.

Hi joemit7850,

what is recessed downlight?

I'm not going for those romantic type of ambience... becox all we require is just the light there on the ceiling to be turned on 24 hours a day without turning it off.

We're not concerned about designer style but so long as it serves the function of lighting up that area of the room, that'll be good enough. Has to be mounted on the ceiling :)

But those MR16 LED lights - becox they've a 2-pin, will it be tough to plug them in on the ceiling or pull them out eventually? (that's if they need to be unplugged)

And they'll "die" on us if we use 2 much force to pull it out or the pin might jux break & get stuck in the power socket... It happened to us when we were dismantling electrical appliances before...

recessed downlight are those round or square light which install inside your ceiling if you have fault ceiling, since yours are direct install to the concrete ceiling, the price will be higher as you need to include the light housing,

LED life span should be longer therefore chances for you to pull it out are very low.

recessed downlight are those round or square light which install inside your ceiling if you have fault ceiling, since yours are direct install to the concrete ceiling, the price will be higher as you need to include the light housing,

LED life span should be longer therefore chances for you to pull it out are very low.

what is "light housing" ?