Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Maverick28

Building Greenhouse On Penthouse Open Terrace

Hi all,

Just wondering if it's possible to build an all glass/perplex greenhouse on the open terrace? Possibly a generator running some lights or automated watering machine for the plants.

It doesn't cast a shadow, so not sure if it applies to BCA rules.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Maverick,

Just curious, why do u need to do greenhouse? Singapore is hot and humid , you can grow any plants here without greenhouse,

and one more thing, why do you concern about BCA rules bout this?

Sorry Maverick.....just curious...:)

Cheers

greenfielddrive.th.jpg

Edited by indira

Hey indira,

Well, it really isn't growing any particular plant, but it's because I use to have a greenhouse when I was living overseas, and I always liked having a greenhouse, something to enclose my plants. It's kinda similar to having a flower shop of your own, wahaha.

And BCA rules state that you can't have any covering on the terrace that might increase the built-in sq footage, so not sure if a glass structure complies with that ruling...

Hi Maverick,

Just curious, why do u need to do greenhouse? Singapore is hot and humid , you can grow any plants here without greenhouse,

and one more thing, why do you concern about BCA rules bout this?

Sorry Maverick.....just curious...:)

Cheers

greenfielddrive.th.jpg

Usually ppl will build a terrace, portico or verandah, coz its more tropical design...:)

Hey indira,

Well, it really isn't growing any particular plant, but it's because I use to have a greenhouse when I was living overseas, and I always liked having a greenhouse, something to enclose my plants. It's kinda similar to having a flower shop of your own, wahaha.

And BCA rules state that you can't have any covering on the terrace that might increase the built-in sq footage, so not sure if a glass structure complies with that ruling...

It is probably not in compliance. I had a similar case at my development where a glassed structure was built and was deemed to violate BCA's ruling following discussion with the managing agent and committee. This is more so as it is a fixed structure which obviously increase the built-in area, regardless the kind intentions of the owner to serve a noble purpose. Even if it passes your local management committee's test, neighbours would still be able to highlight that for BCA's inspections. My advise is not to construct the fixed structure but you can always built a "floating canopy" to house your plants supported by movable beams. This would be similar to what you see at most nurseries. This would also facilitate your purpose in nuturing your green fingers!

Agree with Canary,

Canopy is sufficient to enclose plants in tropical country..and probably cheaper than glass house

- Increase in GFA, no approval. http://www.corenet.gov.sg/einfo/circulars/htmlandpdf/URA_19990303010.pdf

- Permanet "fixture" which cast shadow, no approval.

So,

Just make whateven "house" you call, be "movable", transparent/net/transluscent covering & no solid shadow cast. Read URA's "strata living", around page 5-7, if I recall correctly.

Hi all,

Just wondering if it's possible to build an all glass/perplex greenhouse on the open terrace? Possibly a generator running some lights or automated watering machine for the plants.

It doesn't cast a shadow, so not sure if it applies to BCA rules.

Any insight would be appreciated.

- Increase in GFA, no approval. http://www.corenet.gov.sg/einfo/circulars/htmlandpdf/URA_19990303010.pdf

- Permanet "fixture" which cast shadow, no approval.

So,

Just make whateven "house" you call, be "movable", transparent/net/transluscent covering & no solid shadow cast. Read URA's "strata living", around page 5-7, if I recall correctly.

Very interesting read and thanks bepgof.

Sorry to OT here but does anyone have guidelines re bbq restriction on balcony?

Not an issue as long as the pit is movable and those smoke, smell, oil stuff generated are "self contained".

I've once kena a "black & white" from MC for "inappropriate usage" of bbq pit space for boiling big pot of water (for boiling abt 20 rice dumpings at one go), and unauthorised shifting of shading umbrella. Unhappy abt the letter, paid $50 to get a NEA weather report as proof of rain, at certain day/time for certain station/location, called up MA and MC, and sat in the monthly meeting about what was deemed "appropraite usage" of bbq pit and in certain day/time, no member of MC was available to give consent to shift certain "common property"......

Sorry to OT here but does anyone have guidelines re bbq restriction on balcony?

Yes, it is quite possible to build a glass or plexiglass greenhouse on an outdoor terrace. Greenhouses made of glass or plexiglass can provide plants with optimal conditions for growth, protecting them from adverse weather conditions, creating a suitable microclimate, and providing sufficient lighting, windows can be upgraded, and an autovent greenhouse can be installed to maintain the desired temperature. To automate the care of plants in such a greenhouse, you can use lighting generators or automatic watering systems. However, before you begin building a greenhouse on your deck, it is important to consider structural and engineering considerations and ensure that it will comply with local building codes and permits.