Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
potatoes

My 1St Em @Serangoon N

I have still not approach any ID or contractor yet since 2nd Appt is quite far away (5 July). I would love to put up photos in my reno journal, but currently nothing to put up. Frankly speaking, I don't really want to put up anything of my EM in its current state because the owners are still staying there.

However, I have this photo which I took yesterday that shows the view from my living hall.

IMG_1948.jpg

SANY0789.jpg

Edited by potatoes

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Really.... Can I drop by to visit u and see ur beautiful EM? I was walking around the blk yesterday to see what the neighbors have done.

Congrats in finding your new home! :yamseng:

COV nowadays are very high, and yours at good location + quite good view so have to pay a bit more. Like what kobelala said, all resale owners paid so much COV that left little for reno. My reno also as budget as possible. :sport-smiley-018:

You get the city skyline view and fireworks - mine is blocked and I can't see the CBD :yamseng:

U r right! That is one of the reasons why we were willing to accept the unit even though it was in it's very original state. .... We tried to bargain for lower COV, but owner turned down.

I didn't want to miss the opportunity of getting this EM unit, so I settled for the deal.

Now, I am thrown into a tight budget situation with very little left for major renovation.

Anyone can recommend a contractor that will settle for a reasonable 25k? Cant even go for anything more than this amount. Sigh...... :(

It would depend on what you what to get done. 25k is probably only enough to hack and change the floor tiles and fittings in toilets and kitchen, do cabinets and not much else. No new floor tiles for the rest of the house, no new windows or grilles. Depending on whether you've got three or two toilets, that will vary your cost by $1000. A new System 4 air con will cost you $4000. And we haven't started talking about essentials like furniture, washing machine, stove, etc. Rewiring the house will cost another $2000-3000, as will new plumbing, both of which I feel is necessary given the age of the house.

Are you prepared to put up with just painting over the rest of the house? You might want to post more photos showing the condition of the place so that we can see the scale of work required.

Thanks Cleong for sharing.

Looks like I have to put in more $$$$ for renovation.

1. The marble flooring for the lower floor will remain, air condition sytem for all 3 rooms will also remain,

2. I intend to use laminate wood for upper floor and staircase.

3. Hack of part of kitchen wall and redo the kitchen cabinet.

4. Redo the 3 toilets.

5. Have a small yard for laundry purpose.

6. Build storage area under staircase.

U r right! That is one of the reasons why we were willing to accept the unit even though it was in it's very original state. .... We tried to bargain for lower COV, but owner turned down.

I didn't want to miss the opportunity of getting this EM unit, so I settled for the deal.

Now, I am thrown into a tight budget situation with very little left for major renovation.

Anyone can recommend a contractor that will settle for a reasonable 25k? Cant even go for anything more than this amount. Sigh...... :(

Hi potatoes, if you do not mind not having ID, I can recommend you my contractor... you can have a look at my place first (on the finishing) before deciding... I spend less than 35k so far but do quite alot of stuffs...

You would be better off setting aside $40k. Anything less than that would be a bonus. For the bedrooms, are you planning to construct new built-in wardrobes or use the existing ones?

Hi potatoes, if you do not mind not having ID, I can recommend you my contractor... you can have a look at my place first (on the finishing) before deciding... I spend less than 35k so far but do quite alot of stuffs...

Thanks for ur kind recommendation. I am alright with just a contractor and I will try to work within what I can afford at this moment. I like the philosophy abt what u mention in the 1st page of ur blog.

To me, though it would nice to have exquisite things and beautiful reno for my home, what matters most is really the people that makes up my home. I want my wife and kids to be happy staying in this unit.

I hope to get a good and reasonable contractor to do up my new home.

You would be better off setting aside $40k. Anything less than that would be a bonus. For the bedrooms, are you planning to construct new built-in wardrobes or use the existing ones?

Thanks Cleong for ur advice. At this moment, I will just do built-in wardrobes for MBR. The rest will do if budget allows.

Edited by potatoes

Thanks Cleong for sharing.

Looks like I have to put in more $$$$ for renovation.

1. The marble flooring for the lower floor will remain, air condition sytem for all 3 rooms will also remain,

2. I intend to use laminate wood for upper floor and staircase.

3. Hack of part of kitchen wall and redo the kitchen cabinet.

4. Redo the 3 toilets.

5. Have a small yard for laundry purpose.

6. Build storage area under staircase.

u can squeeze my contractor and also other contractor for the price u want :o

Thanks for ur kind recommendation. I am alright with just a contractor and I will try to work within what I can afford at this moment. I like the philosophy abt what u mention in the 1st page of ur blog.

To me, though it would nice to have exquisite things and beautiful reno for my home, what matters most is really the people that makes up my home. I want my wife and kids to be happy staying in this unit.

Bro, nice to have u sharing the same sentiments... can tell u are a great hubby and loving daddy :sport-smiley-004: this itself is priceless.... even if u don't reno your place, your wife n kids will also be very happy to stay in your EM with u .... :good:

If u want my contractor to quote, u can PM me, I'll pass u his contact n u can deal with him direct, or if u want to look at his work first (another forumer here also using him), u can arrange to come to my place... just drop me a PM...

Edited by Kobelala

hi potatoes,

im over at park villas rise,just across the road, looking at your photos, i actually went to take a look at my shortlised contractor's then on-going unit doing reno still there, its along the feeder bus stop road right? such coincidence!

can pm you the contractor im using currently too.