Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DKWM

Tv Selection

Hi Bros & Sisters,

I am having a hard time finding the right TV... I heard that there is no LED Panel only LCD and only Samsung & Sharp are doing LCD Panel so all the other brand are using their panel... Can anyone enlighten me ? I really having headache to select value for money TV.

I went to Court on sat and were told that the Sony TV is much more natural than Samsung TV. True enough that the Samsung TV has a much brighter colour than Sony. So how about LG ? Panasonic ? Toshiba ? Any one advise me ?

Regards

Desmond

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Bro,

To my understanding samsung have both LED and LCD. Most of their new model are LED, like e SMART TV. You can try mega discount at kallang lesurise, I don't most of my electric appliance from them. But I spend a bomb hahaha....

Buying TV is quite a headache, different brand of the same size are all of different price. So it's very impt to compare apple to apple.

Just some pointer;

1. Size

2. LED or LCD

3. Model (if the model is new or old)

4. Frequency (100Hz, 200Hz, etc)

To me the best way to compare is by the frequency because many time when u compare TV base on different brand or even same brand the price always differ by few hundred. It's because the frequency is different is different, the high the frequency the better pic quality therefore more expensive.

Eg. For samsung 6 series model have different freq even through they are all the same series.

Hope this help

Edited by skylimit

Hi Sky,

I am thinking of getting from Parisilk or Everjoint cos I believe their price are cheaper than most of the mega store.

I am choosing between normal LED & 3D LED, there are too many brand to choose and most of the review are good in website.

Any one got knowledge in TV selection ?

Regards

Desmond

I think the technology for TV is changing too quickly for "regular" homeowners to actually grasp a good knowledge of it. Once you buy your TV, you stop your research for a while, and then after that, when the time comes to buy the next TV, technology has improved by heaps and bounds and what you know is no longer valid.

But anyway, just to share, this is what we bought over the weekend.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39424&view=findpost&p=650876

Hi Striking,

It seem like everyone are buying Samsung TV, how much you got your Samsung TV series 5000 ?

I actually find that Samsung TV are really brighter in colour than Sony but only series 6000 and above are with full internet function.

I will be choosing either samsung or sony more or less, just hope to get some information abt Panasonic / LG / Toshiba / Sharp.

Btw, I have heard there is no LED panel, only LCD Panel with LED back light. Is that true ?

Any bros / sister out there have the knowledge to enlight me.

Regards

Desmond

We got the TV at the Gain City Expo Sale - $1249.

The TV decision was made by my hubby, so I can't answer you much about why we got it. But all I know was that we were deciding between a Samsung and LG, because of the Smart TV feature. Hubby likes the apps function of the Samsung.

You may want to pose the same qn to my hubby about the TV on my t-blog and he may be able to answer you there (he doesn't venture out of the t-blog thread much).

:)

I like the Philips 8000 LED series. the 100Hz does makes a difference, bec i watch soccer.

I was told that the Samsung 5000 series 100Hz is not real 100Hz. when view side-by-size betw samsung and Philips or toshiba, the CNA news flashing scrolling is clearer for Philips and Toshiba.

But the philips is made in China, some in M'sia, so depends on ur luck.

It all depends on ur priority, whether u watch action, fast moving film or just normal TV show.

for some reason or another...i will only buy japanese brands...dont know why!

thats just me...love jap brands....sony, sharp, panasonic...pioneer..

i find that the glossy finished border around the screen very distracting...

the internet thingy is quite redundent actually..

i was very inclined to buy that sony internet tv when the salesperson showed it to me...loved the sleek lines of it!

but my wife knocked me back and said "you got iphone...you got ipad..you got a laptop and now you want your tv to check emails!?" made sense to me..haha...

whats more..you cannot plug a wireless keyboard to it..you got to use the numberpad system to key in alphabets..and thats gonna kill...

so in the end i just went for a modest panasonic since my panasonic have served me well for the last 3 years..

Edited by archenemy

for some reason or another...i will only buy japanese brands...dont know why!

thats just me...love jap brands....sony, sharp, panasonic...pioneer..

i find that the glossy finished border around the screen very distracting...

the internet thingy is quite redundent actually..

i was very inclined to buy that sony internet tv when the salesperson showed it to me...loved the sleek lines of it!

but my wife knocked me back and said "you got iphone...you got ipad..you got a laptop and now you want your tv to check emails!?" made sense to me..haha...

whats more..you cannot plug a wireless keyboard to it..you got to use the numberpad system to key in alphabets..and thats gonna kill...

so in the end i just went for a modest panasonic since my panasonic have served me well for the last 3 years..

Bro think you are wrong, for samsung smart tv, beside using the number pad you can use galaxy tab or iPhone or iPad as keyboard. Am slightly luckier then u, my wife love the function of the web browser and face book

bro...i mean the sony one...

i also can use my vaio laptop as a sort of link...but what if i change laptops leh?

samsung? no thanks...not even if they have better features whatsoever...thats just me :yamseng:

bro...i mean the sony one...

i also can use my vaio laptop as a sort of link...but what if i change laptops leh?

samsung? no thanks...not even if they have better features whatsoever...thats just me :yamseng:

oic.. i agree with you. too bad sony cant use ipone or ipad maybe in a later stage when the apps is ready.

Hi Bros,

I went to tamp court, the salesman actually say he can use I-phone to control Sony TV.. Confused ..

Actually for me, Internet option is good to have but no must. But if without compromise other function or quality, I will choose to have a internet option TV.

Archenemy Bro, so you got panasonic TV but compare to the Sony or Samsung, is it better in quality or function ? If panasonic or toshiba can give a better quality or function, i am going to give up Internet TV.

Regards

Desmond

Hi Bros,

I went to tamp court, the salesman actually say he can use I-phone to control Sony TV.. Confused ..

Actually for me, Internet option is good to have but no must. But if without compromise other function or quality, I will choose to have a internet option TV.

Archenemy Bro, so you got panasonic TV but compare to the Sony or Samsung, is it better in quality or function ? If panasonic or toshiba can give a better quality or function, i am going to give up Internet TV.

Regards

Desmond

use iphone to control sony internet tv? wah..i didnt know that! ask him to demo leh...haha..

compared to sony..i will say its on par..just without the internet function...

dont ask me samsung or LG..cos it has never crossed my mind and i didnt bother to look at the specs also..cos no matter how good the specs are or how good the price is..i wont buy..

toshiba is lacking far behind...dont bother..i think its the lousiest of the jap brands...

there is only plasma and lcd panels..

led are actually lcd panels with led backlit..most models here use edge lit led (meaning around the perimeter of the led lcd). there is another type with full panel led backlit (which is the most expensive). so far did not see any model of that before. when those salesman keep pestering me when i was looking at tvs, i asked those salesman what is the difference between led and lcd, they can't even tell me.

anyway i gotten myself a 52 inch sharp full hd led tv. no 3d or internet. coz we felt there is no need to hv this. dun like wearing glasses at home. and dun need to surf net on tv. can always plug into tv using lappie. so we dun really wan to pay the price for things we dun need.

We got the TV at the Gain City Expo Sale - $1249.

The TV decision was made by my hubby, so I can't answer you much about why we got it. But all I know was that we were deciding between a Samsung and LG, because of the Smart TV feature. Hubby likes the apps function of the Samsung.

You may want to pose the same qn to my hubby about the TV on my t-blog and he may be able to answer you there (he doesn't venture out of the t-blog thread much).

:)

oh we got a toshiba 40" LCD during an so-called 'hourly special' @ $599 with foc hdmi cable, only to find out later in the night that Sin Min Daily News advertised the same set for $499!!! :furious: wt...heck!!!