Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
whitefantasy

New Refrigerator Delivered With Hairline Scratch

If new refrigerator which is closed to S$3.9K and when delivered noticed a 2cm hairline vertical scratch on front door which can be seen eye level whenever you open the door, but certain angle slightly visible only, is it still ok to accept & bear with it or ask for replacement. The fridge is design like those stainless steel type with matt lacquer. Hope to seek opinion & advises on it. Thank you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If new refrigerator which is closed to S$3.9K and when delivered noticed a 2cm hairline vertical scratch on front door which can be seen eye level whenever you open the door, but certain angle slightly visible only, is it still ok to accept & bear with it or ask for replacement. The fridge is design like those stainless steel type with matt lacquer. Hope to seek opinion & advises on it. Thank you.

Hi,

Below reply is just my personal opinion. At $3.9K, the fridge you are buying is not considered cheap in my context. Amount of money spent aside, as long as the fridge that you are buying is not a display unit, you have all right to ask for an exchange.

However, if we see things from retailer's perspective, an exchange will only be allowed if the fault is discovered during delivery. It is a similar situation as compared to buying a new car. Any scratches or dentsvon the car have to be reported during your collection at the showroom or new car collection centre. Once you drive the car out, any paint defects or dents found, dealers have the right not to give any compensation.

From your description, I presume delivery of your fridge has taken place. Did you put any remarks on both copies of the DO? If you did, please go all out for a replacement, if you didn't , no harm trying to call the retailer now, try your luck. You never know. :yamseng:

Hi,

Below reply is just my personal opinion. At $3.9K, the fridge you are buying is not considered cheap in my context. Amount of money spent aside, as long as the fridge that you are buying is not a display unit, you have all right to ask for an exchange.

However, if we see things from retailer's perspective, an exchange will only be allowed if the fault is discovered during delivery. It is a similar situation as compared to buying a new car. Any scratches or dentsvon the car have to be reported during your collection at the showroom or new car collection centre. Once you drive the car out, any paint defects or dents found, dealers have the right not to give any compensation.

From your description, I presume delivery of your fridge has taken place. Did you put any remarks on both copies of the DO? If you did, please go all out for a replacement, if you didn't , no harm trying to call the retailer now, try your luck. You never know. :yamseng:

Hi Phintastic,

No, i did not put any remarks on the DO as i hv told the deliveryman abt the vertical scratch but at that point he mention it is not so visible and ask me if there is any concerns ask me to call their service centre. He did not even tell me to reject it or so. So I don't want to make things difficult for the deliveryman to bring out the heavy fridge again and then bring in our old fridge in again. As you know for new thing, once u know there is some defects you will tend to look at it more often and the more you look at it the more you

felt heart pain and unhappy.

Today morning i call the service centre and tell them abt my unhappiness but the reply can consider quite negative coz they mention i hv already on the power and started using the

fridge so replacement might not be possible.

It look like i got no choice but to accept and bear with it and maybe put a small piece of fridge magnet to cover that area, maybe it will make me feel better?

Really appreciate what you hv advise and thank you so much.

It is not a issue of whether it is a 3k plus fridge or a $300 fridge. Just treated this as the following solution:

Actually it is like buying canned food in supermarket. U choose a canned food from the shelf . You yourself had already noticed the dent, u make payment at the cashier. Went out of the supermarket, went home cook and eat. # days later you fall sick. Ask yourself whose fault.

The cashier or yourself?

In the first place i will not accept the fridge coz there are flaws on the fridge. U are buying first hand not second hand.

Do not signed on the DO. tell the delivery guy to sent it back. Call the CS to complain about the scratch.

Now still u said that the CS had told you that the fridge had been switched on. You will b luckily if they want to make an exchange for you.

It is not a issue of whether it is a 3k plus fridge or a $300 fridge. Just treated this as the following solution:

Actually it is like buying canned food in supermarket. U choose a canned food from the shelf . You yourself had already noticed the dent, u make payment at the cashier. Went out of the supermarket, went home cook and eat. # days later you fall sick. Ask yourself whose fault.

The cashier or yourself?

In the first place i will not accept the fridge coz there are flaws on the fridge. U are buying first hand not second hand.

Do not signed on the DO. tell the delivery guy to sent it back. Call the CS to complain about the scratch.

Now still u said that the CS had told you that the fridge had been switched on. You will b luckily if they want to make an exchange for you.

That's why i never pinned too much hope that they can make an exchange for me. I should hv be more firm & ask the delivery guy to send it back and just hack care if they angry or not.

Just call and ask for a replacement. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Anyway, for the price you paid you should expect your item to be in good condition.

Yes i hv already call, but as what i hv mention they say the fridge on & started using(actually is the deliveryman who on for us) so a bit difficult for replacement.

The problem is when i mention the scratch, the deliveryman just say not visible and never mention anything like bring back and just tell me any problems can call

service center. So i presume any complaints can be done thereafter. Anyway the service center say will see what they can do and call me back. So now can only wait.

I had the same problem with the fridge i ordered too. It was a samsung, saw the delivery guys unwrapped from carton box, when they wheeling it in.

I noticed 2 small dents at the side but very visible.... :furious:

I juz accept it la since its at the side, who can notice, the front/inside all ok, no prob.

my opinion, just live with it. like a spanking new car, the first scratch/dent/ding is always heartpain. thereafter it won't. time will heal all wounds. there's more important things in life to worry than this.

if it's eyesore, get those sheet magnet and paste post-its on the door.

Edited by neubie

It does sound like the delivery man is aware of the issue but is intent on getting his job done quickly as possible without any hassles n delays, so get on with switching on the fridge once it is in position.

This way, so long as electricity runs thru, the customer would have no case against the seller for any exchange thereafter...& that delivery fellow is thus 'saved' on all troubles.

The 'proper' way is: peel off all stickers on the new fridge, then open all its doors for a good 2 hours' airing before turning on the switch.

Since it had happened, I do agreed with neubie u jus got to look at the brighter side lor. But prior to that, do as Bunnymummy'd advised...yes go fight it out first!

For similar incidents faced in future, not only can u pen down on the flaws but oso do remarked 'delivery guy switched on the elec without my consent'...

Do hope u can have a brand new replacement though :)

Cheer Up!

I had the same problem with the fridge i ordered too. It was a samsung, saw the delivery guys unwrapped from carton box, when they wheeling it in.

I noticed 2 small dents at the side but very visible.... :furious:

I juz accept it la since its at the side, who can notice, the front/inside all ok, no prob.

Thaniks for sharing your experience.

Yes at the side seldom noticed one, for my case is on the top of the left hand door at eye level so you get to see it everytime when door is open, the rest of the door ok.

I wanted very much to accept that, i think i am strange lor, if i know somewhere got defects especially for new products, my eyes will automatically see that area more often.

So the more i see, the more heartpain i am. But this is the first time i rec'd electrical product with defects.

my opinion, just live with it. like a spanking new car, the first scratch/dent/ding is always heartpain. thereafter it won't. time will heal all wounds. there's more important things in life to worry than this.

if it's eyesore, get those sheet magnet and paste post-its on the door.

Yes maybe i should let it go not easy but will try. Still looking around for some nice fridge magnet to cover that area.

Thanks for your valuable opinions :)

It does sound like the delivery man is aware of the issue but is intent on getting his job done quickly as possible without any hassles n delays, so get on with switching on the fridge once it is in position.

This way, so long as electricity runs thru, the customer would have no case against the seller for any exchange thereafter...& that delivery fellow is thus 'saved' on all troubles.

The 'proper' way is: peel off all stickers on the new fridge, then open all its doors for a good 2 hours' airing before turning on the switch.

Since it had happened, I do agreed with neubie u jus got to look at the brighter side lor. But prior to that, do as Bunnymummy'd advised...yes go fight it out first!

For similar incidents faced in future, not only can u pen down on the flaws but oso do remarked 'delivery guy switched on the elec without my consent'...

Do hope u can have a brand new replacement though :)

Cheer Up!

Yes i agreed with what you hv said. He seem rushy after i pointed out the scratch and just switch on. Thereafter quickly asked me sign on the DO and say if any problems can

call service center. Yeap i will try to look on the bright side while waiting for their positive reply, hopefully.

Thank you, your words make me feel slightly better :)

Edited by whitefantasy

Hi All,

I just rec'd a call fm the service center. They say they can only replace me with a brand new door which i think shd be good enough? So they will dismantle that scratch door and replace with a new one tmw afternoon.

Hopefully all goes well, plus dismantling & installing will not affect the surface of other doors. Or is there any precautions i shd take beforehand to ensure no further

hiccups?