Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

That was why I shared my "stupidity acts" to make ppls here smarter and wiser.

Back to basic, I couldn't help believing into a bachelor holder could sign a reno contract ended into "such a stage". Believed the story has been somehow being "distorted", want ot bet?.

No point to start with saying: " sorry to hear this or that.." I've passed out from school long long long time ago (btw I'll be going back to school in coming Jan 2012 again)I'm frank, blunt and direct nd most importantly, speak my mind. Aim and hit, wouldn't want to waste any bullet anymore, have been wasted a lot liao.

You've missed my words of comfort.

My friend, bachelor degree is just about gaining knowledge and not wisdom. Everyone makes mistake even a professor can make silly mistakes as well.

There is nothing wrong in speaking your mind but do be considerate to other's feeling. You don't go to funeral and tell decese's family that he is dead, do you?

Bullets? Are we fighting war here? Save your bullets. This is not army, my friend.

Anyway, Nat... Option 1 seems to be a wiser choice. Just don't pay him anymore. Option 3, must well get another realiable contractor to take over the job.

Cheer up... There's always light at the end of the tunnel...

This is not the 1st case, there were tons of them and I personally seen before.

Nat no more payment please and stop liasing with this company, go file in to case trust immediately to get a professional loss calculation over the contract signed with this contractor, follow by small claim over this amount.

Meanwhile you have to find your place to stay during the progress, find out how much money you have left and start sourcing for renovator base on your balance...hope my advise help this poor guy. :(

I would recommend that you take up the 3rd option with your renovator.

Consider the 2nd option & get compensation from him.

That is a bad advice... he will get more money cheated... I dun believe the contractor will do the work for him...

first of all, don't b too sad. look at the bright side. sit down n think of the possible solutions.

by the time i write this post, i think u would have met ur contractor.

do pls update us.

my contribution... go to small claims now n do not delay any further.

maybe u can bring along a close friend when u meet the contractor. with the power of modern technology, try recording the conversation/negotiation between u n him.

i stop short of calling ur contractor a bast*rd coz i stil wan to b a gentleman :sport-smiley-018:

I am 27yo. I earn my money the hard way. Every cent got blood and sweat. But old doesnt mean wise. Old ppl also get cheated. And my education sadly didn't teach me to pick out the rotten apples from the good ones.. I just feel sad that there are such ppl around.

As what I've guessed. I'm 20 yr older than u. Learning to be wiser is a process which has no end. My heart has been broken many times which leave many "scars". To be frank, only old broken hearts could comfort young broken hearts.

Old broken heart could understand how the broken spirit/heart makes the bone dry. Please, walk straight, stand up and lift up yr head, tmr yet to be continued. Believe me, monetary stuff is "small" thing in life, money can never be earned enough!

- Bear in mind; Small claim amount maximun is $20,000 AND the "defendent" must be willing to appear in court, otherwise, the Tribunals has no power to enforce and grant money order.

- Police statement is a waste of resources for both parties, unless proven a must then worth carry on.

- Ask yrself this: how much can be get back from him, then the next action. To be frank, through legal means take time, by the time an Order is given, all already half-dead.

- Pm me if you wish; I can recommend u an ID whom I've known since 2006 and she has done up my condo & 1 hdb 5rm.

As what I've guessed. I'm 20 yr older than u. Learning to be wiser is a process which has no end. My heart has been broken many times which leave many "scars". To be frank, only old broken hearts could comfort young broken hearts.

Old broken heart could understand how the broken spirit/heart makes the bone dry. Please, walk straight, stand up and lift up yr head, tmr yet to be continued. Believe me, monetary stuff is "small" thing in life, money can never be earned enough!

- Bear in mind; Small claim amount maximun is $20,000 AND the "defendent" must be willing to appear in court, otherwise, the Tribunals has no power to enforce and grant money order.

- Police statement is a waste of resources for both parties, unless proven a must then worth carry on.

- Ask yrself this: how much can be get back from him, then the next action. To be frank, through legal means take time, by the time an Order is given, all already half-dead.

- Pm me if you wish; I can recommend u an ID whom I've known since 2006 and she has done up my condo & 1 hdb 5rm.

Agreed legal action takes time... but u still need to take back ur money... Go small claim now... Believe is the best way now... dun waste time on ur contractor... see him in court...

He didn't come yesterday. At first say 7pm. Then I called at 715pm, he told me he can only come at 8/830pm. Waited til 9pm. Called him. He said he is in a meeting with all the sub cons to discuss the price and timings they can come to do our house. Excuses, then he say can we meet on Sunday at 3pm. I just called him. He off his phone. I already scold him so bad already. Use all the bad words, then he say cannot scold him like that. He cannot work if we continue to scold him.

He didn't come yesterday. At first say 7pm. Then I called at 715pm, he told me he can only come at 8/830pm. Waited til 9pm. Called him. He said he is in a meeting with all the sub cons to discuss the price and timings they can come to do our house. Excuses, then he say can we meet on Sunday at 3pm. I just called him. He off his phone. I already scold him so bad already. Use all the bad words, then he say cannot scold him like that. He cannot work if we continue to scold him.

i can only say WTF?! God will take care of him properly

I think u shud jus report to case. With all the documents/contracts u had with you. And the receipts for each payment u made. No point "begging" to meet him. He's acting more like a boss, than u, when u r the paying customer. Dont drag and make ur life more miserable.

See so many replies make my hands itchy again. I don't mind to be a KPO and a "bad guy" here. Let's look at some details.

1. nat0206, I supposed u're a singaporean and married. Assuming this is yr 1st loan, so u are allowed to take up 70% mortgage loan. Out of the first 30%, 5% has to be cash and stamp duty of (3%-5,400) has to be cash(can reimburse back later by cpf), the rest can be of cpf.

2. 1,700 sqf=158sqm, let say the unit is very "run down", I expect it would cost at least 900k.

3. 900k x 30% = 270k, 3%-5,400 of 900k = 21.6K, reno = 56K. Total = 347.6k. Well, considered super rich at age of 27, assuming no parental financial support.

4. Free tiolet bowl(nothing), free 36"TV(something), free downlight(presume u've worked out number of pts), are u a young working professional? Do u konw the cost of these???

5. No breakdown of items and respective items cost? No payment terms being discussed b4 hand? Then what "contract" u have signed with him?.

Would you mind "help" to clear the doubts?

Lol..cheeky bugger, he seems to be having fun at your expenses. :rolleyes:

FYI, always check properly, if free items inclusive of "installation". Cos they may give u free items and later charge u for the "installation" fees. On top of that, some items like nyatoh solid door n frame, not only need installation but also varnish. So when they quote u the door price, check if all these are inclusive to avoid "hidden costs" at the end of the bill. Toilet stuff like heater, etc, may require addtional "piping costs" as well (for hot point, as most only provide cold point). All these are to look out for. Frankly, when a ID quote u for the first time, normally they will just quote u d basic stuff (as to avoid d quotation look over-pricing, as most customers will get MANY quotations from MANY company). But if u put it straight forward to the ID on what u want/need, and request for a DETAILED quotations no hidden costs, they should be listing down all those tiny-mini stuff that we would normally overlook. If u had made urself clear n yet not getting a detailed quoatation, u might need to consider changing of ID company.

On the other hand, we cant totally blame those ID for not detailing the first quoations, cos MOST customers only SEE the pricing to compare. So if first quotation too high (compared to others, who mostly hide costs),the company dun even have a second chance to talk to customers (cos customers got scared away with the pricing).

As for packages, do not be too carried away with the pricing. Always check the detailed lists of items included. Supply labour means only installation, and the item is not included. It's always good to double check what's included and what's not.

To put it in a nutshell, ALWAYS think what u want, DELIVER d msg clearly to the ID, and ask for a DETAILED quotation.

Just my two cents of advice. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

See so many replies make my hands itchy again. I don't mind to be a KPO and a "bad guy" here. Let's look at some details.

1. nat0206, I supposed u're a singaporean and married. Assuming this is yr 1st loan, so u are allowed to take up 70% mortgage loan. Out of the first 30%, 5% has to be cash and stamp duty of (3%-5,400) has to be cash(can reimburse back later by cpf), the rest can be of cpf.

2. 1,700 sqf=158sqm, let say the unit is very "run down", I expect it would cost at least 900k.

3. 900k x 30% = 270k, 3%-5,400 of 900k = 21.6K, reno = 56K. Total = 347.6k. Well, considered super rich at age of 27, assuming no parental financial support.

4. Free tiolet bowl(nothing), free 36"TV(something), free downlight(presume u've worked out number of pts), are u a young working professional? Do u konw the cost of these???

5. No breakdown of items and respective items cost? No payment terms being discussed b4 hand? Then what "contract" u have signed with him?.

Would you mind "help" to clear the doubts?

1. First loan can take up to 80%

2. 900k only if it's in mei ling street or a penthouse/rare unit type, other places 800k+ can buy already

Things has progressed a little, he called me just now to try to 'settle' things. He say now there is only 3 options:

1. Sue him

2. Terminate the contract (he didn't say how much he will pay us back)

3. Pay 'his workers' so that work can progress. Which surmounts to be about $30000. And he will pay me back the difference in 6 mths. (how can u still believe someone like him?)

I like the second option the most as I have had enough of him, But if he can't pay us back anything now, then how am I going to look for another contractor to finish the job? I have not much cash left. Not even close to $30000...

Even if I get a renovation loan, I cannot pay back next yr and the burden will be on my family. I will be going away to study, I can't give up the studying part, coz it is an opportunity that is hard to come by.

What other options I have?

Hope you don't take option 3, this guy can't be trusted anymore. 8|