Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
PoppyLove

Our Adventure

After 11 years building memories in a pigeonhole we called HOME, it's time we say goodbye. It's hard leaving a place we build many memories in. From barely anything in the house, till fully furnished bit by bit over the years :( And this was where we start our lives as husband and wife and raise our babies. But I guess, sometimes in life, we have to move on especially when it's for the better :)

And a new chapter awaits us in our new home with many memories to build :)

This was our home for 11 years...

58966_1273458056924_1844125433_568076_5267870_n.jpg

Next, i will post the quotation I get from my very reliable contractor :-)

Edited by PoppyLove

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

As I already know what I want to do with the flat and am a very opnionated person who only want what she wants, I don't want to use an ID. Been to Chew, Uhome and couple more and met up with respective IDs but none got what I want and end up giving me ideas which I am soooo not into. Some, I can say quite rediculous. And they are quoting me such rediculous price for such rediculous ideas and won't be able to give me anything free except for a $150 toilet bowls, MBR sink and heater. So our hunt went on and finally I met a contractor who understands what I visualize and easy to communicate and work with. His suggestions are all good and he even helped me to cut unneccessary costs which is RARE. So long story cut short, he isn't those kinda bosses who will squeeze ur bank dry on reno :)

01.jpg

02.jpg

Your current place looks quite nice! Very Balinese modern resort. Why move?

Hi Striking Reality,

it all started when I told hubby that I wanted a new kitchen. And he suggested we get a slightly bigger space as the kids are growing. Quite lame if u ask me :P But it has always been his dream to buy a 5rm and he knows it has always been my dream to have a balcony in a home. So he did his calculations and consulted an agent who was at that time, assisting my mom & sister in their selling and buying. And when the agent got back to us with a positive reply, hubby straightaway go for it.

But we had our fair share of setbacks after setbacks. Hubby almost bought a flat at $550k but i stopped him. i dun wanna buy an overly priced flat esp when we dunno what the future holds. what if under whatever circumstances that we are forced to sell the flat? To breakeven will be impossible and we'll end up still paying for a hse we dun own. It took us 11 years of waiting to get a breakeven of a hse worth $269k and get some profit.

Sorry for being so longwinded :D:P

Here's the floorplan.

Original and the one I did myself for my contrator :)

floorplancombined.jpg

1. Study room will be hacked. Raise suspended platform with lightings underneath. Convert to living area where we watch the tele.

2. Trying an open concept balcony for couple of months. If I can't adapt to it, then will install balcony door.

3. Seal up MBR door and open one next to BDR3 door.

4. Plaster living and kitchen walls. No tiles in kitchen as I'm going for the sleek finish.

5. Matt black suspended kitchen cabinet with red glass backing and lights.

6. Partial balcony/study room wall will be hacked to install glass to create an illusion of a bigger space as well as see the balcony from tv area.

7. Walk-in wardrobe in MBR.

8. L-box and false ceiling (dining).

These are the major ones. I do quite a bit of hacking, seal up doors and open new doors :-)

Edited by PoppyLove

Very very good floorplan!!! Squarish and good to plan!

Is this new place a 5A or EA? Looks very big and spacious.

I noticed the MBR walk in Wardrobe area is along the Toilet wall, 1.7m wide? If both sides are wardrobes and they are 50 to 60cm deep, then leave 50 to 70cm for walkspace?

Maybe can hack down the wall between the MBR and the Kitchen to expand the space for your Walk in wardrobe area? Just my 2 cents...

Your floorplan really looks nice. :good::good:

Very very good floorplan!!! Squarish and good to plan!

Is this new place a 5A or EA? Looks very big and spacious.

I noticed the MBR walk in Wardrobe area is along the Toilet wall, 1.7m wide? If both sides are wardrobes and they are 50 to 60cm deep, then leave 50 to 70cm for walkspace?

Maybe can hack down the wall between the MBR and the Kitchen to expand the space for your Walk in wardrobe area? Just my 2 cents...

Your floorplan really looks nice. :good::good:

Hi gnipihz,

thanks for reading my reno blog :-))

It's a 5I Pasir Ris :-) We're thinking of it too. But our kitchen is kinda tiny :-( But we'll see what can be done :-) I appreciate your suggestions, I really do. Coz being a silent reader here, I see many nice homes :-)

I literally slept with the floorplan and spent whole day to do it myself and show it to my contractor :-)

Hubby and I decided to make our way to JB in the morning after we sent the kids to school. We were told to go recce for lightings in JB and we found a good store. We saw all the exact same lightings in most lighting stores along Balestier and Geylang, in this shop. The salesman was a very friendly, knowledgable, honest and helpful. I give my two thumbs up. Knowing how difficult and fussy of a person I am when it comes to buying, I wasn't quite keen at first. But the salesman sounded convincing with the product knowledge and very honest with the crystals.

We walked around the whole store both first and second floor. We saw 90% of their lights are those we saw in shops selling in stores along Balestier and Geylang. We were quite surprised. Then, I saw this light which won my heart over the moment I set my eyes on it. I first saw it in a store at Balestier. I fell hard for it but it costs $1.2k in Singapore. We tried haggling and the lady gave us $1.8k best price :( Reluctantly and with such heavy heart, I gave it a pass coz I think it's too much and I wanna go hunt for better bargain. The moment I saw the EXACT same light in this store in JB, I was stoked! I looked at the price, it was RM980. I scrutinized every inch of the light and YES, it's EXACTLY the same!!!

The store is having a sale and we got it at SGD$238 after conversion. It was a STEAL! :sport-smiley-004: It's a combi of LED and halogen and comes with remote control too.

LivingRoomLight.jpg

Then, we bought ourselves the MBR light. This is selling at SGD$133 after conversion. We changed the bulbs to energy saving bulbs. Light is a combi of LED and energy saving bulbs. If you wanna use just the normal bulbs, it's only about SGD$115 :)

There are about 2 guys who came in the store to get their supplies of lights and they are from Singapore coz I see the name of the store on their uniform :) And we overheard their conversation as one of the guy was just standing next to us :P

Overall, I am one :sport-smiley-004: HAPPY woman today. We got ourselves a great bargain. AWESOME!!! :yeah: Will be coming back to get the downlights with led bulbs and more lights for the kitchen, kids bedroom, service balcony, balcony, toilets and storeroom :-)

Hi PoppyLove,

mind to share the location for recce for lightings in JB?

Im very interested to get LED lights too..do they carry a lot of LED products?

U can PM me for details

Tks

your former home looks lovely. congrats on your new place and may you have a smooth reno journey, look forward to your updates.

you got good deals on your lighting from jb! sport-smiley-004.gif

your former home looks lovely. congrats on your new place and may you have a smooth reno journey, look forward to your updates.

you got good deals on your lighting from jb! sport-smiley-004.gif

Hi sleek :)

Thanks for your compliment :) And yes i seriously hope reno goes smoothly :)

Yea I think I've got good deals on the lightings too :) Am coming back for more!! lol

Thanks for dropping in :):yamseng:

Hi, I am interested in the JB lighting shop too! Pls provide address.

Btw, who can help to fix up the chandelier? That's one of my concern cos I knw that some electrician can't handle them well...

Hi PoppyLove,

Wonderful choices and wonderful writeup you have there. :)

Is it possible you share with us where the shop in JB is? You may send me a PM if you wish. I'd rather support our neighbours in JB than buy from here if the price difference is so much! It doesn't make sense....

Thank you very much! Wish you more fun in planning for your reno. :)

Hi PoppyLove,

I think u can earn some reference fee :sport-smiley-004:

7 Potential buyer and counting down~:

1) w3ngal

2) angelbutterfly

3) Erwinong

4) Terencetcw

5) adrielx

6) yaolong

7) mango13

Maybe the shop owner will give us more discount hehe :sport-smiley-004:

Awaiting for address thanks! :dribble: