Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Hi hunguptodry,

Cheers!

Bringing all the things up to 3rd floor via stairs should be pretty tedious!

Are you nearer to 102 or the other end?

Nice meeting you neighbour-to-be! hee.. :)

Hi neighbour,

I'm near your block. see u soon.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi Guys,

I would like to ask for the normal cost of awning, false ceiling below awning, grilling up of the whole house (EM), staining of the parquet for staircase and 3 bedrooms.

My ID quoted me approx $6k for the construction of the above and is wondering that its kinda steep .. does anyone has a breakdown for the above items?

Thanks in advance for any replies..

I think it is quite reasonable. The awning and awning false ceiling easily cost your around 3k. Do u mean varnishing parquet? If yes that will be around 1k plus as well.

That means your whole house grilling cost less than 2k.

6k should be quite ok.

Edited by chronograph

Just wanna check, I am wondering if I can change the colour of the parquet flooring?

Can paint over it?

What do u mean? Brown to vanilla? Shouldn't be a problem but normally most people will do varnishing.

I think it is quite reasonable. The awning and awning false ceiling easily cost your around 3k. Do u mean varnishing parquet? If yes that will be around 1k plus as well.

That means your whole house grilling cost less than 2k.

6k should be quite ok.

hmmm.. thanks for the advice Chronograph.

for my parquet.. its considered as staining of the parquet to walnet colour only.. i dont think its varnish. I was quite surprised to see a $6k increase in my quotation though.. but thanks for the clarification.

Initially i wanted to do a laminate glass trellis for my balcony (garden feel) , but after many consultations it seems that HDB wont allow. Wonder if any one did it for their home?

Does any ppl with balcony has a different setting than ceremic roofing awning.

hmmm.. thanks for the advice Chronograph.

for my parquet.. its considered as staining of the parquet to walnet colour only.. i dont think its varnish. I was quite surprised to see a $6k increase in my quotation though.. but thanks for the clarification.

Initially i wanted to do a laminate glass trellis for my balcony (garden feel) , but after many consultations it seems that HDB wont allow. Wonder if any one did it for their home?

Does any ppl with balcony has a different setting than ceremic roofing awning.

My contractor always tell me, do whatever u want as long as it will not affect the structure and stability of the building and u don't find it troublesome to revert back original should u want to sell one day. Cos HDB inspection sure to fail if it is illegal.

Hi,

We dun like the existing colour - either a change in the colour tone or a complete change in colour.

So it's possible? wow! good!

Hum.... cannot answer your question. PM me for my "consultant" contact for any queries. :P

Hi,

We dun like the existing colour - either a change in the colour tone or a complete change in colour.

So it's possible? wow! good!

Hmmm... The old school parquet is glossy de.. and I happened to see my neighbour turning her glossy parquet to matt ones.. and the shade is different too ..

Hmmm... The old school parquet is glossy de.. and I happened to see my neighbour turning her glossy parquet to matt ones.. and the shade is different too ..

i met my ID over the weekend and she recommend me matt ones instead of glossy ones....

but it seems those old school parquet (glossy versions) seems to have the kind of more lasting feel...

i retained the parquet and got it re-varnished to matt too...and i like the look of it. down side is the scratches are real obvious.

Hi red devil,

We paid $75 for 1 data point. We're using StarHub Broadband, and placed our wireless router in one of the bedrooms on 2nd floor which we're using as guest/studyroom. No problem with internet access even when using laptop in MBR or in living room downstairs.

Rdgs,

CC

Hi CC,

Our family are avid internet surfers. Am worried that wireless signals are not strong with router. Planning to have 3 desktops in living room, MBR and bedroom 2. Where would be the best place to place the router? Living or MBR? Also when you meant data points, they are wired from the router to each external socket where you can plug in for wired connection? Are they clearly better than wireless? Pardon my inquisitivity.

hello ...... it's been a while since i last log in.....

and it seem like we have got more an more kakis....

well for me.... i'm still waiting for the 1st appointment which falls on the 1st Oct.

some how the 1st appointment seem longer than usual.....

but hopefully i can get it as soon as possible.

also for the reno...... i have found a company which is willing to do the whole hse for 50K.

but the material is still unknown.

so what do you ppl think??

Hi CC,

Our family are avid internet surfers. Am worried that wireless signals are not strong with router. Planning to have 3 desktops in living room, MBR and bedroom 2. Where would be the best place to place the router? Living or MBR? Also when you meant data points, they are wired from the router to each external socket where you can plug in for wired connection? Are they clearly better than wireless? Pardon my inquisitivity.

We can get good WiFi coverage all over the house if there is one user. Our router is on level 2 guestroom/studyroom. If more than 1 person is accessing (from laptops) or when room doors are closed, MBR & living room gets a very low 1Mbps signal. But no problem if only one user in the house.

However, we are using the almost obsolete Wireless-G technology. New wireless sets are Wireless-N which offer vastly extended range (can access wireless from 10 floors below) so coverage becomes a non-issue for EMs.

Note that if there is too much wireless traffic going on in the room/house/block, your connection speed can drop because everyone is on the 2.5GHz wavelength (microwave oven running very close by at 2.45 GHz can affect too).

If your block has a lot of internet savy people, it's better then to get the Dual-N router so you can switch to 5GHz which is still "uncommon" and enjoy uninterrupted bandwidth while you have that headstart. That however, means you also need to get adaptor for your lappy that can work on 5GHz frequency too - a big expense if you have many sets, but the enjoyment is worth it.

Your desktops will be better served with a LAN cable as LAN'll be faster than Wireless.

As for whether it's better to place the router in MBR or living room, with Wireless-N, it makes no difference. If you're still using Wireless-AB, you should upgrade at least to Wireless-G to enhance your surfing experience.

Hey all!

I love this thread!

We are now awaiting our 1st appointment at HDB mid November to purchase our EM in Woodlands. And because we're doing contra, we really need to get things going re. renovation wise. Just spoke to Mr Yeak and he's turned down our project to start in December as he's got way too many projects on hand. Waiting for Jason to revert on his quote. I think I am almost afraid to pengsan to see the quote as we have to do a major overhaul of the flat.

Any recommendations for reliable contractors?