Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Thanks for the reply! mine will be the rectangle balcony. Would you recommend any ID or contractors?I'd love to learn from yr ideas or any advice you can offer after you or anybody else has gone thru the experioence with renovation of an EM

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Thanks for the reply! mine will be the rectangle balcony. Would you recommend any ID or contractors?I'd love to learn from yr ideas or any advice you can offer after you or anybody else has gone thru the experioence with renovation of an EM

Oh, then we have the same rectangle balcony! :D Hmm, my contractor is Yeak. Contact details can be found at rondy's siggy and the people who engaged him can be found at preciousjam's siggy. Can check out their tblogs for workmanship etc if u like.

I think the contractor who's doing kopi's EM is quite reasonable too, can check him out. Not too sure about IDs though, didn't really talk much to IDs since I know wat I want for my place liao. :) Any budget for ur reno?

Hi people,

I m thinking of getting an em but got one question.

Why HDB doesn't allow those polycarbonate roof for balcony?

Anyone knows?

Thanks

Hi all

Just upgraded my current EM in Queenstown and will be ready by end Mid Jan 2010.

My Id is U-Home from Thomas.

U post the pics once ready.

Cheers

Edited by putter

Angel

Kopi engaged Jason rite? is he a contractor or ID? Ill follow his thread cosely cos I think his is also similar floor plan as mine. Budget ah... not sure really if kopi approximated 60k hen looks like I might have to approx about there as I might hack quite a bit. Theres 20 yr old marble in the living room but I dun like the colour so either overlay with good laminates or hack n do up some nice marble/homo.

Do you know anyone who knocked down level one washroom or the kitchen wall facing you as you enter main entrance or even the utility store room? I'm considering these options to open up the apartment a bit.

mabe ill browse yr thread for ideas too.

where do u hang yr laundry btw

pnokio

I thought can put polycoarbonate roof? Isnt coffeeo doing that?

pnokio

Is it? Didn't know/see that! Will try to look coffeeo up.

Thanks jazzfish!

Hi all

Just upgraded my current EM in Queenstown and will be ready by end Mid Jan 2010.

My Id is U-Home from Thomas.

U post the pics once ready.

Cheers

Congrates on ur new EM. :D Wah, tat will be in time for CNY. :D

Angel

Kopi engaged Jason rite? is he a contractor or ID? Ill follow his thread cosely cos I think his is also similar floor plan as mine. Budget ah... not sure really if kopi approximated 60k hen looks like I might have to approx about there as I might hack quite a bit. Theres 20 yr old marble in the living room but I dun like the colour so either overlay with good laminates or hack n do up some nice marble/homo.

Do you know anyone who knocked down level one washroom or the kitchen wall facing you as you enter main entrance or even the utility store room? I'm considering these options to open up the apartment a bit.

mabe ill browse yr thread for ideas too.

where do u hang yr laundry btw

pnokio

Yoz, yup kopi engaged Jason to do his reno. Haha, tink lots of kopi's stuff r rather x leh. He spent $6k for his glass staircase railings and spent alot more on tilings cuz of his mosaics. He also did parquet for the rooms/corridor upstairs. So if u're not doing such stuff, can minus abit from the budget lar.

There were a couple of forumners who did those stuff that u mentioned. Can't find all of them, but can check out happywolfie and tristesse blogs. Think u'll find wat u're looking for there. :)

I hang my laundry in the kitchen. The hanging area will be rather small, as part of the kitchen's width is taken up by the L1 toilet. However, I prefer my laundry to be in the kitchen so that other places will be nice and neat. Kopi intends to hang his in the balcony in case u're wondering. :)

Is it? Didn't know/see that! Will try to look coffeeo up.

Thanks jazzfish!

Yoz, check out familyof4's tblog too, as she installed polycarbonate roof at her recess area (her EM is corridor end).

angel

can I ask if the foyer at yr place is there by default or you had to hack down walls

ad did you consider hacking down lvl 1 washroom or know anyone who did anything lik that, if so how do they conceal the pipes. Thanks!

angel

can I ask if the foyer at yr place is there by default or you had to hack down walls

ad did you consider hacking down lvl 1 washroom or know anyone who did anything lik that, if so how do they conceal the pipes. Thanks!

Morning! The previous owner hacked the utility wall and bought over that little recess area liao, so the area was like that wen we bought the place. But that was our intention, so I think if the previous owner didn't hack, we would have. :P

We did think of hacking the lvl1 washroom, but didn't in the end. Main reason was that guests will not need to climb upstairs to use the toilet. Wet pails can also be hidden in the washroom when guests come.

I think u can check out the happywolfie's blog link that I attached previously, and see if they concealed the pipes. If it's me, I'll box up the pipes and do a tall cupboard next to it to camouflage it. Should you hack away the washroom, u'll need to think of how to soak ur clothes b4 washing (if u do that), take water for mopping, and daily stuff like that. :)

Hi everyone,

I am new into this forum. I just purchased a 20 yr old EM from HDB sales of balance flat.

The EM is located in Yung Ho Road. Is it worth the buy? I mean I could forfeit the deposit money....

the house is 148 sqm and the price is 373k

Hi everyone,

I am new into this forum. I just purchased a 20 yr old EM from HDB sales of balance flat.

The EM is located in Yung Ho Road. Is it worth the buy? I mean I could forfeit the deposit money....

the house is 148 sqm and the price is 373k

It's really up to u. If u like the location, the layout and everything, then just go ahead with it. :) For me, it's rather far from the MRT, and u'll have to take a feeder bus to the MRT. However, if u drive, then it's pretty convenient for u. U'll have Sheng Siong, Mac, the bowling alley very nearby. Bad side is that there's quite alot of foreign workers there, so not very safe for the ladies.

Oh yah, and there'll be the chocolate smell from the nearby factories. If you don't like that smell, don't take the flat. :)

well is a gd price i suppose for an EM .. i thats yr budget then i suppose ul learn to live with the constraints. for me i prefer to pay more for a location most suitable ie near mrt, near workplace etc

Angel

thanks for the input so far3, iv looked thru happy wolfie's thread and am quite inspired. as much as i think this old EM design is far from perfect, there ways of getting round it. Do you not miss a storeroom now hat uv got a 'foyer' instead?

gonna start looking for contractors ... i miht check with happywolfies's since he's aready experienced in doing a few EMs

Edited by jazzfish

Angel

thanks for the input so far3, iv looked thru happy wolfie's thread and am quite inspired. as much as i think this old EM design is far from perfect, there ways of getting round it. Do you not miss a storeroom now hat uv got a 'foyer' instead?

gonna start looking for contractors ... i miht check with happywolfies's since he's aready experienced in doing a few EMs

Hee, hope that it helps. And rem to post pics to show us k? :D Well, I have a storeroom under the staircase. I prefer not to have too much excess storage, as it will mean more place for junk. :P

Hi,

Can anyone help me to get me started on thing i need to plan for reno.

First thing first, I am in budget constraint.

Do I need to get an ID or not? I heard getting ID and everything will be costly.

Sure I am not sure if I should get them.

What other things I need to plan out? Can anyone help?

Hi,

Can anyone help me to get me started on thing i need to plan for reno.

First thing first, I am in budget constraint.

Do I need to get an ID or not? I heard getting ID and everything will be costly.

Sure I am not sure if I should get them.

What other things I need to plan out? Can anyone help?

Congrats on EM purchase.

Frankly, on renovation it depends on the condition of the unit and what you intend to do? Will you be overhauling the whole unit. It can easily cost you 50k to 70k and even more. Since you have budget constraint, your only option is to go straight to contractor. That will save u 15% - 30% at least.

1) Get a list of what u want to do, your design, your concept, your theme

2) Short list contractors, check their profile, send them your request for quotation.

3) Compare and short list contractors that have reasonable pricing and can meet your dateline.

4) Invite them for site measurement and revised quote.

5) Check out their workmanship, project site etc.

6) Check for GST? HDB license? RADAC?

7) Payment structure

8) Their after sales service, rectification work etc.

You must be comfortable dealing with the contractor and contractor can meet your deadline. Most important, pay according to work progress. My rule, "no work done no payment" you need to protect yourself as a consumer.