Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

I guess both of you have very valid points.

The HTB and I weighed up the pros and cons (he's the type who cannot tahan the heat) but due to budget constraints as well as the fact that our unit is quite 'airy and breezy', we've decided to opt out of the air conditioning for the first level. We've gone with the ceiling fan + standing fan option for the first floor so we'll observe the situation first. But like what vanessa said - if all else fails, let's escape to the rooms! :dancingqueen:

My unit is one of the most windy apartments my contractor/IDs/relatives/friends have encountered, but can still be uncomfortably warm in "summer" months when there is no wind. Had a few recent house parties and I actually sort of regret not installing AC in the kitchen too. You can't quite install ac easily post reno so do seriously consider having AC installed. It's those times when you need AC that you'll seriously miss not having one I think.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Guys, i've been reading silently all of your EM blogs! Very naise!

The husband and I are looking to get one. But not sure if we should just stick to EA. Considering market now, was wondering if paying 40k for a * EM is reasonable? The home we are looking at is fully furnished but like not very modern design lah. But definitely move in condition. Any advice?

Is EA cheaper?

Guess it really boils down to personal pref. I paid more than $40k for COV and had to gut the entire place... But I need 3 toilets... Stairs is another factor - needs a bit of getting used to and not sure if I wanna climb stairs when I am an old lady.

Not to mention location... It's all very much personal pref IMO.

Hi all! Am a newbie to Renotalk & all reno stuff basically lol :sport-smiley-018:

Just got my keys earlier this month for my EM at Hougang Ave 7. Any neighbours?

Hubs & I initially wanted to get an ID to help out, decided not to cos need to save cost for our hefty reno bills - so far the quotes we got were all approx $100k!! :jawdrop: , some more!

Really need all the advice I can get re how I can layout my toilet, pls. (Ahyoh, I dunno how to upload the pic of my toilet! :( )

My 2nd fl common toilet is very narrow & long, with lots of pipes (1.4m * 3.3m), PLUS the lousy toilet bowl is right at the end (under the tiny ventilation window). This doesn't give much space to have a proper shower cubicle (we wanted a glass framed one), cos the toilet's sooooo narrow :o Some IDs/ contractorsw e spoke to suggested putting the wet shower area in the centre (ie between the bowl & sink). But this'll mean there's a wet portion to walk thru for anyone wanting to use the toilet bowl. Not safe since I have young kids :wacko:

PLEASE HELP!! (Tks in advance!)

Hi all! Am a newbie to Renotalk & all reno stuff basically lol :sport-smiley-018:

Just got my keys earlier this month for my EM at Hougang Ave 7. Any neighbours?

Hubs & I initially wanted to get an ID to help out, decided not to cos need to save cost for our hefty reno bills - so far the quotes we got were all approx $100k!! :jawdrop: , some more!

Really need all the advice I can get re how I can layout my toilet, pls. (Ahyoh, I dunno how to upload the pic of my toilet! :( )

My 2nd fl common toilet is very narrow & long, with lots of pipes (1.4m * 3.3m), PLUS the lousy toilet bowl is right at the end (under the tiny ventilation window). This doesn't give much space to have a proper shower cubicle (we wanted a glass framed one), cos the toilet's sooooo narrow :o Some IDs/ contractorsw e spoke to suggested putting the wet shower area in the centre (ie between the bowl & sink). But this'll mean there's a wet portion to walk thru for anyone wanting to use the toilet bowl. Not safe since I have young kids :wacko:

PLEASE HELP!! (Tks in advance!)

Welcome!! I am at Hougang Ave 10...just moved in to my EM. Not sure if it is the same layout as yours...but check out my blog (in my signature), maybe it will help :)

Nice to see more EM owners!

Initially we were debating if we should install AC for L1 but we decided to go ahead since we didn't have AC in our previous house's living room and we really hated it esp on hot days. We installed one big AC **** area and within 10 minutes the whole L1 is cooling 😁 very good esp on hot days and when we have guests. We also have 2 fans in L1.

Nice to see more EM owners!

Initially we were debating if we should install AC for L1 but we decided to go ahead since we didn't have AC in our previous house's living room and we really hated it esp on hot days. We installed one big AC **** area and within 10 minutes the whole L1 is cooling very good esp on hot days and when we have guests. We also have 2 fans in L1.

Thanks for your welcome. Am hoping to learn more so that my reno will go smoothly. :good:

Spikedoll, do you hv AC in yr 2nd fl rooms? Wah, I sure hope my current rating will be sufficient to support 2 compressors. Dun think my family can survive w/o AC in the bedrooms :lol:

Btw, can anyone pls HELP!! regarding how I can layout my 2nd fl common toilet? We're banging our heads over it....sigh! :bangwall: Thanks all in advance!

Woohoo! Got our Hansgrohe Axor bathroom fixtures last weekend from the sale. Saved a bundle! Yippee! :sport-smiley-018: Good thing a relative told us about the sale just the night before, else we would've missed it.

But just got BAD news from HDB...apparently the current rating is only 30 amps, cos not yet upgraded....so there go my 2 A/C compressor wish :~ .

Vanessa, has your Hougang Ave 10 EM been upgraded? Can you install 1 or 2 A/C compressors?

Woohoo! Got our Hansgrohe Axor bathroom fixtures last weekend from the sale. Saved a bundle! Yippee! :sport-smiley-018: Good thing a relative told us about the sale just the night before, else we would've missed it.

But just got BAD news from HDB...apparently the current rating is only 30 amps, cos not yet upgraded....so there go my 2 A/C compressor wish :~ .

Vanessa, has your Hougang Ave 10 EM been upgraded? Can you install 1 or 2 A/C compressors?

erm i am not sure cos we decided to only AC the bedrooms. (we are tree huggers) So we didn't check if it has been upgraded. But i doubt it...we are still on "tong" gas...it is not piped

erm i am not sure cos we decided to only AC the bedrooms. (we are tree huggers) So we didn't check if it has been upgraded. But i doubt it...we are still on "tong" gas...it is not piped

Hahaha, sori ah, we are tree-killers :lol: ..... my kids & I will be like zombies if overheated :dribble:

But looks like now we need to adapt & make do w/o airconditioning in the living room. I can foresee that the whole family will be constantly camped in the airconditioned bedrooms...so terrible right? :o

Yup, my blk has no piped gas either...sigh! I dread the thot of lugging the gas tank into my new kitchen too..huummm....

Do you have a special drawer or tray to place your gas tank on? I assume the tank is inside your cabinet right? Can I pls trouble you for a pic? Tks much (in advance)!

Actually hor....... think can support 2 compressors one.

Just make sure you turn on one blower at a time.... slowly, as in give time between turning on one blower and the next.

Just don't ask me how I know OK... :dancingqueen::sport-smiley-003:

Dear Maisonette owners,

My partner and I are eyeing at buying a resale maisonette at some point. We love the idea of having 4 rooms as well as an additional open-air terrace with almost no ceiling where we hope to chill out over great views. However, we are also in a dillemma over the following issues and hope you can help advise !

1) Cleaning - Due to the large sqm and spanng over 2 floors ! Is the cleaning a huge hassle ?

2) Staircase - Seemed like fun in the beginning, but does it start become a hassle overtime ? Forgetting things going up and down etc... ?

3) Storeroom under the stairs - The store under the staircase seemed very small and impractical - where else do you guys store your stuff ?

4) Birds flying into open air terrace - I've been reading previous posts about birds flying into the open air terrace - is that a normal thing ? We really like the idea of an open air alfresco feel and have no intention of sealing it up with windows... But have never thought of birds flying into the area and dirtying the place ! Yikes !

5) Renovation cost - How much was your overall renovation cost ? Seeing that it spans over 2 floors involving a staircase and they are all resale, I imagine an overhaul is very much needed !

5) 3 toilets - Has anyone has any issue dealing with 3 toilets ? We think it's too many and unnecessary and we were thinking of knocking the 2 toilets on the 2nd level to form a larger toilet for the master bedroom. Does anyone have any advise on this ?