Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Nice to hear that. How about sharing some photos with us here when all is done?

When all ready then I will some pre & post photos. Just minor renovation;)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi all,

Officially shifted into our EM on Sunday...8 Sept....check out my t-blog for some photos...

Everything done up within my schedule of 1 month...yes ! I done it again... :notti::jammin:

Polls: To raise or flatten the balcony deck?

In my design brief to ID, I had spec for an extended raised timber deck for my balcony. I was trying to create a very open feel of a semi outdoor space inside an apartment. I had seen from photos of another EM doing that and took a liking to the idea.

My ID strongly disagree with my concept citing, "We are not convinced the raised timber deck extending to the toilet is ideal for the design circulation for the unit. We feel visual separation between the toilet and interior space is already apparent with the use of different flooring finishes without raising the level, and the spaces are better integrated if they are on the same floor level. Nevertheless we will design (although reluctantly) for the raised timber deck all the way to the toilet since you had strongly requested for it."

Now I have mixed thoughts, should I listen to the professionals who spend all their working time planning space for others? Or should I go with my own preference since I will be living in it?

Any thoughts and comments from fellow forumers here will be much appreciated.

i1ef.png
xe15.png

Photo example taken from property guru for a raised deck balcony;

1l16.jpg
0ryb.jpg

Hi Vdubber,

I have the same thoughts as you. In fact, I stole the entire design from the place at Pasir Ris! Lol! :sport-smiley-018:

We also wanted to create an outdoor feel for our abode and the raised decked worked perfectly when we went to view the same unit with this design.

However, after speaking to many contractors, they have raised their concerns regarding getting the approval to raise the height.

For maintenance wise, we chose to go with wood tiles into of timber decking.

Hi Vdubber,

I have the same thoughts as you. In fact, I stole the entire design from the place at Pasir Ris! Lol! :sport-smiley-018:

We also wanted to create an outdoor feel for our abode and the raised decked worked perfectly when we went to view the same unit with this design.

However, after speaking to many contractors, they have raised their concerns regarding getting the approval to raise the height.

Hi Vdubber,

Nice hearing from you Linglun. That was certainly a very nice unit, if not for the triangular shaped rooms, I would have loved to put in an offer. Nice as it may be, I doubt they will sell it to me anyway as owner was expecting 150K COV.

My ID have advised me that the minimum requirement for parapet is 1 meter. So with the raised deck, I will have to do a new railing at the balcony to raise its height to suit. Also I must sign a letter of undertaking before approval will be even considered.

Wood tiles are great for easy maintenance, but will the feel be the same to the feet? Do you mind sharing with me the wood tile cost per sq/ft?

Thanks.

Nice hearing from you Linglun. That was certainly a very nice unit, if not for the triangular shaped rooms, I would have loved to put in an offer. Nice as it may be, I doubt they will sell it to me anyway as owner was expecting 150K COV.

My ID have advised me that the minimum requirement for parapet is 1 meter. So with the raised deck, I will have to do a new railing at the balcony to raise its height to suit. Also I must sign a letter of undertaking before approval will be even considered.

Wood tiles are great for easy maintenance, but will the feel be the same to the feet? Do you mind sharing with me the wood tile cost per sq/ft?

Thanks.

Hi Vdubber,

We went there specifically to have a look at their design. And you are right, their odd-shaped rooms kinda threw us off.

But level 1 was truly a beauty.

And the agent was trying to convince us that 150 COV was very worthwhile.. lol

Hmmm, what is the purpose for the letter of undertaking? My contractor's only gripe was the weight of the raised deck. He mentioned that there are new regulations now and he just did one place with a raised deck, hence he knows how to get the application approved. Something to do with the material you are using etc. You may want to double check with your IDs.

I have not given detailed thought about the railings yet, but thanks for the heads up, I better start checking on what to do.

The wood tiles feel is definitely different. But maintenance weighed more for us, especially since we have kids and a dog.

Wood tiles are about $4-$7 psf. Depending on country and size. We are considering the 15 x 60 rectangular long stripes.

Congrats to all the new EM owners. Looking forward to seeing pics of your home Reno. :)

Hi 3Dyms,

Have been following your T-blogs and learnt alot from you and all the other EM owners! :jammin:

Hi Guru, just asking if anyone have changed their EM staircase to Spiral type before, like the one show here. Cheers.

My IDs told me that this unit came with a "fishbone" stairs which they retained, but had to repair most of the structure as the "bone" wasn't in great condition.

http://www.atelier-ma.com/en/projects/116CLEMENTI2.php

Polls: To raise or flatten the balcony deck?

In my design brief to ID, I had spec for an extended raised timber deck for my balcony. I was trying to create a very open feel of a semi outdoor space inside an apartment. I had seen from photos of another EM doing that and took a liking to the idea.

My ID strongly disagree with my concept citing, "We are not convinced the raised timber deck extending to the toilet is ideal for the design circulation for the unit. We feel visual separation between the toilet and interior space is already apparent with the use of different flooring finishes without raising the level, and the spaces are better integrated if they are on the same floor level. Nevertheless we will design (although reluctantly) for the raised timber deck all the way to the toilet since you had strongly requested for it."

Now I have mixed thoughts, should I listen to the professionals who spend all their working time planning space for others? Or should I go with my own preference since I will be living in it?

Any thoughts and comments from fellow forumers here will be much appreciated.

I do think the different material is sufficient without requiring a raised platform and I have concerns re:

- practicality - having a deck recessed makes more sense given the location in the balcony. It does rain... And you wouldn't want rain flowing into your kitchen or living room. Unless you install windows, then it defeats the whole outdoor purpose ya?

- toe-stubber - raised platforms can be a love or hate thing, and I belong to the latter after visiting a few units with raised decking. Moldy belows aside, if the wood warp or loosen then it is awful not to mention fairly dangerous/painful to step on (again, from visiting units with raised decking that are a few years old)

- mold or creepy crawlies in the empty deck space - mmm just gross.

But it is your place so do go with whatever you like. Most importantly that you like your place anyway, not whether others will.

I do think the different material is sufficient without requiring a raised platform and I have concerns re:

- practicality - having a deck recessed makes more sense given the location in the balcony. It does rain... And you wouldn't want rain flowing into your kitchen or living room. Unless you install windows, then it defeats the whole outdoor purpose ya?

- toe-stubber - raised platforms can be a love or hate thing, and I belong to the latter after visiting a few units with raised decking. Moldy belows aside, if the wood warp or loosen then it is awful not to mention fairly dangerous/painful to step on (again, from visiting units with raised decking that are a few years old)

- mold or creepy crawlies in the empty deck space - mmm just gross.

But it is your place so do go with whatever you like. Most importantly that you like your place anyway, not whether others will.

Hi Adidaem,

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. I have long been a beneficiary of your legendary blog! Kudos to your very informative and inspiring write ups.

What you have pointed out are all very valid considerations and make much sense now that I think about them. My only concern is if I choose the flat route, won't the floor material change create the undesirable effect as shown in your unit's "before reno" living room photo? I recalled reading somewhere too where you showed pictures from " Loft of Love" where it's owner also had a floor change from tiles to parquet, which I too find not so nice.

I was hoping with some level change that it may break up that "line". I have only till October to make up my mind which treatment to go with.

Btw, I really like your balcony roller shutter with the option of 2 settings. Would you kindly share with me the contact? Much thanks mate.

Hi Vdubber,

We went there specifically to have a look at their design. And you are right, their odd-shaped rooms kinda threw us off.

But level 1 was truly a beauty.

And the agent was trying to convince us that 150 COV was very worthwhile.. lol

Hmmm, what is the purpose for the letter of undertaking? My contractor's only gripe was the weight of the raised deck. He mentioned that there are new regulations now and he just did one place with a raised deck, hence he knows how to get the application approved. Something to do with the material you are using etc. You may want to double check with your IDs.

I have not given detailed thought about the railings yet, but thanks for the heads up, I better start checking on what to do.

The wood tiles feel is definitely different. But maintenance weighed more for us, especially since we have kids and a dog.

Wood tiles are about $4-$7 psf. Depending on country and size. We are considering the 15 x 60

Hi Linglun,

I reckon the letter of undertaking is to take legal responsibility for having the floor to parapet height below the regulation? I shall check with ID the exact purpose of this and let you know.

Wood tiles are certainly not cheap too. I look forward to seeing your completed photos in the future to see the effect. Thanks.

Hi Adidaem,

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. I have long been a beneficiary of your legendary blog! Kudos to your very informative and inspiring write ups.

What you have pointed out are all very valid considerations and make much sense now that I think about them. My only concern is if I choose the flat route, won't the floor material change create the undesirable effect as shown in your unit's "before reno" living room photo? I recalled reading somewhere too where you showed pictures from " Loft of Love" where it's owner also had a floor change from tiles to parquet, which I too find not so nice.

I was hoping with some level change that it may break up that "line". I have only till October to make up my mind which treatment to go with.

Btw, I really like your balcony roller shutter with the option of 2 settings. Would you kindly share with me the contact? Much thanks mate.

Hi Vdubber,

My unit originally came with roller shutters and I almost wanted to keep it. Until someone pointed out an important fact. I'm doing an open concept when there are no walls separating kitchen from living area and service balcony. But... My aircon compressor for level 1 has to be installed within the service balcony. Problem - if my aircon compressor is there, and its raining, I'll need to close the shutters to prevent rain from splashing in. With the roller shutters down, there is no way for the hot air from the compressor to escape. This will totally defeat me having the aircon switched on. To go around this problem, I removed the roller shutters and installed 6 panels of top hanging windows. The compressor will be installed such that the fan will be blowing out wards and the top hung window where the compressor is, will be kept open. The rest of the 5 panels will be closed. This way, I also hv sunlight coming in on raining days and it won't feel so dark. You can refer to my T-blog link below (page 5) for pics of the windows at the service balcony and page 6 for my kitchen extension into service balcony area. Just wanted to highlight this in case you are going for total open concept too.

Edited by 3Dyms

Hi Vdubber,

My unit originally came with roller shutters and I almost wanted to keep it. Until someone pointed out an important fact. I'm doing an open concept when there are no walls separating kitchen from living area and service balcony. But... My aircon compressor for level 1 has to be installed within the service balcony. Problem - if my aircon compressor is there, and its raining, I'll need to close the shutters to prevent rain from splashing in. With the roller shutters down, there is no way for the hot air from the compressor to escape. This will totally defeat me having the aircon switched on. To go around this problem, I removed the roller shutters and installed 6 panels of top hanging windows. The compressor will be installed such that the fan will be blowing out wards and the top hung window where the compressor is, will be kept open. The rest of the 5 panels will be closed. This way, I also hv sunlight coming in on raining days and it won't feel so dark. You can refer to my T-blog link below (page 5) for pics of the windows at the service balcony and page 6 for my kitchen extension into service balcony area. Just wanted to highlight this in case you are going for total open concept too.

Actually we keep a small gap open if we still want the aircon. No problems with this arrangement. Installing glass means some slightly dangerous cleaning or learning to adapt to dirty window panels... Not a fan of either so I will still go for shutters. With windows the effect is quite different vs opening to the sky. Anyway am not a fan of the toilet windows opening into an enclosed balcony concept.

My balcony is tiled so no problem with it getting a bit wet. In fact we chose outdoor tiles cos we expected the balcony to get wet (and so wanted less slippery tiles).

Hi Fellow EM owners,

I need some advice.

We are planning to change the orientation of our stairs. Only the bottom half to be exact. I have seen it done previously but now for my submission, I am having some problems.

The entry of the stairs is now facing my main door, and I would like to change it to face the kitchen instead. We do have a PE ready to endorse but now we are told we need to get approval from BCA? That would take 2 months and another 8k. ;(

We wanted to work around it by adding an additional flight of stairs to join the landing and covering up the original bottom half so that technically, we are not changing the structure and orientation by hacking.

Now we are stuck since adding another flight of stairs requires BCA approval.