Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

All the room door frames and doors installed in the past whole week, today doing touch up and lacquering. Important to check thoroughly and make sure all doors and door frames properly done.

EB13A27D-F390-45A3-866C-539AE7C5319E-2276-000001ED8D4814EC.jpg

The door to the room for my domestic helper

C9F21F4A-947D-45B8-909C-264BBD6E79BB-2276-000001EDBEDEA08C.jpg

Edited by jumbopanther

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Personally prefer the lever type than knob type of handle, easier to open and close. Do specify stainless steel ironmongery, meaning the handle and lock set, and not forgetting stainless steel magnetic door stopper.

4D702E5F-3BD5-4481-85C0-A8BC80CC8A62-2276-000001EDCF3009D4.jpg

Magnetic door stopper

8E52B8B7-D902-4531-92E7-F4825C09F8CE-2276-000001EDDF22FA80.jpg

Personally prefer the lever type than knob type of handle, easier to open and close. Do specify stainless steel ironmongery, meaning the handle and lock set, and not forgetting stainless steel magnetic door stopper.

4D702E5F-3BD5-4481-85C0-A8BC80CC8A62-2276-000001EDCF3009D4.jpg

Magnetic door stopper

8E52B8B7-D902-4531-92E7-F4825C09F8CE-2276-000001EDDF22FA80.jpg

oh ... nice door for helper... not frosted ? so she cant change in her room....

Hi,

Your blog interests me a lot. Will be renovating my single storey corner terrace soon. Pls PM me the details of your contractor and the various services you used for your house.

regards

Hi singing bird, of course the door is frosted, she can change inside, no problem. Haha. I wouldn't dare try see through.

By the way, though the photo shown above is for my domestic helper, but i have also installed this same door design in all our other bedrooms as well.

The beauty of this door is its mixture of dark wood contrasting with light glass, majority is glass, most importantly my intent was to make this door a natural 'light box', bringing more light through as well as keeping privacy in place.

Perhaps this angle is better

53D2BFC0-DF8E-4212-9DEF-5B5252FE008C-2276-000001EEFFD0F27E.jpg

Edited by jumbopanther

Hi singing bird, of course the door is frosted, she can change inside, no problem. Haha. I wouldn't dare try see through.

By the way, though the photo shown above is for my domestic helper, but i have also installed this same door design in all our other bedrooms as well.

The beauty of this door is its mixture of dark wood contrasting with light glass, majority is glass, most importantly my intent was to make this door a natural 'light box', bringing more light through as well as keeping privacy in place.

Perhaps this angle is better

53D2BFC0-DF8E-4212-9DEF-5B5252FE008C-2276-000001EEFFD0F27E.jpg

:yamseng: :yamseng: :yamseng::P

Hi,

Your blog interests me a lot. Will be renovating my single storey corner terrace soon. Pls PM me the details of your contractor and the various services you used for your house.

regards

Hi I have already pm you my contractor's contact

Edited by jumbopanther

Hi Jumbopanther

Great stuff you put in your t-blog, massive amount of info, and thanx for sharing.

Just checking...you didn't employ an ID, did you?

Was it tough making all the creative/aesthetics decisions?

I have a regular contract that I trust, he has done my mom's flat and my current flat. I have automatically asked him to do the renovation for my new house, but somehow I feel I don't know what I'm missing if I do not shop around.

Then again, shopping around takes time and you also may not end up with the best (or even a good one).

Cheers and looking forward to your reply.

Hi Jumbopanther

Great stuff you put in your t-blog, massive amount of info, and thanx for sharing.

Just checking...you didn't employ an ID, did you?

Was it tough making all the creative/aesthetics decisions?

I have a regular contract that I trust, he has done my mom's flat and my current flat. I have automatically asked him to do the renovation for my new house, but somehow I feel I don't know what I'm missing if I do not shop around.

Then again, shopping around takes time and you also may not end up with the best (or even a good one).

Cheers and looking forward to your reply.

Hi Drillbit, to answer your question, right, I did not employ an ID.

2nd question, was it tough making all the creative/aesthetics decisions, well, not really, because I have already in my mind what design I want.

This is actually the reason why I don't get an ID, because I don't need an ID to tell me what I like. And very often, what the ID designs, is usually not what I want. So for me, I would rather spend the $ on ID to $ spent on actual renovation for my house. But please let me qualify, ID has got his or her merits too and could be useful for other owners, who are usually new to house renovation, but it just does not work or apply to me.

As for your situation of whether to use the regular contractor you trust or shop around for others. My take is depend on your risk appetite. If you have budget constraints and conservative sort of person, i would suggest go for the lower risk, your regular contractor. However, if you try others, you may get surprises ( maybe good or bad too), no risk, no gain. But for your own benefit, you can get your regular contractor to quote, then get other contractors to quote as well on the same requirements, so that you have a fairer comparison instead of accepting whatever amount your regular contractor quote you, just because he knows he is the only one.

Hi Drillbit, to answer your question, right, I did not employ an ID.

2nd question, was it tough making all the creative/aesthetics decisions, well, not really, because I have already in my mind what design I want.

This is actually the reason why I don't get an ID, because I don't need an ID to tell me what I like. And very often, what the ID designs, is usually not what I want. So for me, I would rather spend the $ on ID to $ spent on actual renovation for my house. But please let me qualify, ID has got his or her merits too and could be useful for other owners, who are usually new to house renovation, but it just does not work or apply to me.

As for your situation of whether to use the regular contractor you trust or shop around for others. My take is depend on your risk appetite. If you have budget constraints and conservative sort of person, i would suggest go for the lower risk, your regular contractor. However, if you try others, you may get surprises ( maybe good or bad too), no risk, no gain. But for your own benefit, you can get your regular contractor to quote, then get other contractors to quote as well on the same requirements, so that you have a fairer comparison instead of accepting whatever amount your regular contractor quote you, just because he knows he is the only one.

Thanx for your advice Jumbopanther.

That's what I thought I shld do...get a couple of comparative quote. Otherwise the thought of being ripped off will longer.

Get some advice from you about eletricals...did you buy your lightings, fans etc. from Singapore, of you tried to get cheaper alternatives from JB.

I understand the savings can be substantial.

Problem is, my regular contractors says the lightings/fans are not PSB certified. So I don't know if there will be further complication down the road.

Suay suay the lighting cause a fire...will the insurance be void coz it's not PSB certified?

Sorry...sounds very kiasu...but it's not worth the risk I feel.

Thanx in advance.

Hi drillbit, depends on whether you are submitting electriical works for authority testing and approval. If you are changing yr electrical, eg upgrading to new 3 phase, snd changing the meter to the gatepost, then yes, you should comply and get psb certification.

Otherwise, Everyone has different risk threshold. Well, yr concern is yes, some equipment from JB may not be psb certified, well yes, suay suay if got fire, maybe insurance could likely will have an issue with that, .....,the possibility is there. But I am not sure abt the probability. Meaning how often these electrical causes fire? ( Then again, Of course, just 1 time is already quitedisastrous.)

If anyone knows of the number of cases, electrical equipment causes fire, please share.

That also means if true, houses in JB will face this problem too.

Anyway, I am a risk taker ( calculated risk )

Edited by jumbopanther

I'm a risk taker too, and have bought all lightings from malaysia.

I think we have more than enough safety features in our houses to prevent electrical fires. Bulbs have grounding cables, ballasts have fuses. We have fuses anywhere so it wont be a big issue. Hence the only danger I can see is that naked wires might create some "spark jumping" opportunities and may cause a fire. This can be easily mitigated by using copper wires (not copper fibre wires) with thicker insulation and proper installation.

That said, if you're still worried about insurance, there are PSB approved branded lights that are sold in both malaysia and singapore. By buying them in malaysia, you get the same "PSB-approved" assurance at a cheaper price. Might be a good option for those who takes calculated risks.

Thanks lancified.

Yes, it's equally important that the electrical works are properly installed. What you said is correct, to ground the light fittings; beside that, my main water pipe and DB are also grounded, as well as new lightning protection tape grounded front and back yard. My electrical contractor probably is even more 'protective' than I, making sure everything is done properly.

One more matter to note abt door frames and skirting, so suggested sequence of works is floor tiling first, then door frame. However, the tiler will also do the skirting when he is doing tiling. But the last piece of skirting tile near the door frame got to do later. Let the door frame install first, the cut the last tile to match the remaining size to full the gap, then you will get a nice fit for the end product.

Please note: don't cut the door frame to match skirting. That's unsightly.

This is nice fit

508A8175-1E07-4180-AC46-64762D7CBCC4-2805-0000026B7C0C503C.jpg

Edited by jumbopanther