Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
summersann

The Experience: Our First Home

Then it's still not too bad...at least electrical and aircon are in.

Mine without all these is 84k now.

Damm worried after FS audit, it might increase. :dunno:

Yah. We met quite a few IDs, and it was more or less all around 80-90 (there were some who told us 30-50, but it sounded too good to be true. plus they gave zero input during the discussion). And all these IDs don't include electrical and air-con in the quotation. Our ID was the only one who included everything in the quotation (except for the air-con, which they gave us separately on another sheet of paper for us to see and use to find other providers before we decide who we want to engage for air-con).

All the best with yours! Start your t-blog soon! :D

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

It's been a busy weekend of shopping (and mourning for the bank account).

Lights + bathroom accessories shopping on Saturday. Designers brought us to a place for lights. The lights were really expensive. Probably could have saved more if we went sourcing for the lights ourselves, but it's too exhausting sourcing for everything, so we caved in :bangwall:

Was so engrossed in the lights that I forgot to take pictures, so these random online pictures will have to do.

IMG_0471_zps7e96452a.jpg

Our track lights look something like this, except ours is completely white. The back part where the wire comes out from was black, but we requested for the shop to change it to white for us.

IMG_0476_zps0229ef64.jpg

Bought a few loose bulbs for lighting. 7 of them will be for the stairwell and 4 for all the bathrooms. The bulbs look something like this, but slightly bigger and the bulb holders are white. Very excited about these bulbs!

IMG_0472_zps8a04c744.jpg

The floodlight for our balcony looks somewhat like this, but ours only has 9 bulbs inside. The shop is also going to change the outer covering to white for us, leaving just the light board black.

IMG_0473_zpsd5610e1f.jpg

The wall mounted lamp for our balcony looks something like this, but ours is white.

IMG_0474_zps345d8236.png

Also got our fans from the same shop. Relite petite.

The bank account is groaning in pain.

Edited by summersann

Lights shopping on Saturday, furniture shopping (on our own) today.

Went to Tong Yuan building to check out egg3 and Grafunkt. And I thought Air was expensive enough. Grafunkt was just ridiculous. Was about to leave when we saw that Grafunkt was having a warehouse clearance sale on the 3rd floor. I didn't think it'd be worth our time, but the boy wanted to go. Was good that we went, because we found out that some of the pieces on level 2 were actually under clearance sale (because they had the same pieces on level 3). We spotted a coffee table we liked, and the price after discount was much more reasonable (can't say the same for some of the other discounted pieces). Went back to level 2 with the shop assistant to take a better look at the selection. Finally picked out our coffee tables!

IMG_0481_zpsb87572ee.jpg

Went up to egg3 again after popping by Grafunkt. The prices there were much more reasonable (yes I know, it's not "designer", but seriously, $500 for a stool or $7000 for a bed frame?!).

IMG_0480_zps4683c637.jpg

Fell in love with this stool when we first went in. Returned to get it after getting shocked by "designer" prices downstairs :good:

IMG_0479_zpscf1e0cf5.jpg

The shop assistant was nice enough to let us move chairs around the place to find the perfect match for our island/dining table. We ended up buying 5 chairs/stools!

IMG_0478_zps1dd1db87.jpg

The chair that the boy really wanted for the study table. But I didn't think it'd be as outstanding against our parquet floor. Took it out after much thought :P

Hi.

Can you let me know the name of the shop selling the relite fan and how much you bought the relite petite for?

As for the loose bulbs, I guess you are hanging them from the top ceiling above the stairs. Mind me asking, how do you plan to replace the lights in future?

We already confirm on one ID but haven't sign up. Waiting for their final quotation. Think should hit 80k at least. We too lazy to go around sourcing for many ID but just go ahead with this one whom we feel comfortable with.

Now can't wait for second appointment ! Hehe

Oh just to find out with fellow EM owners.. your staircase is homogenous tiles, parquet or?

My concern is also about my dog.. She may do a long jump from staircase .. Zzzz

Hi.

Can you let me know the name of the shop selling the relite fan and how much you bought the relite petite for?

As for the loose bulbs, I guess you are hanging them from the top ceiling above the stairs. Mind me asking, how do you plan to replace the lights in future?

If I remember correctly, the shop's called i-lite. It's at Jalan Besar. Not sure if it'd be the best place to get stuff from though, because I didn't do research on where to buy lights and just followed the designer. Our relite fan is $148.

Hahaha yeah, I think the loose bulbs will probably be hung from the ceiling above the stairs. They'll be staggered, so some will be lower than others. The boy is planning on keeping a ladder in the storeroom anyway, so I guess he'll be the one changing the lights! We're planning to use poles or something along that line to hook the light bulbs over for changing or something. If all else fails, we'll ask our designer for help. Hahaha :sport-smiley-018:

We already confirm on one ID but haven't sign up. Waiting for their final quotation. Think should hit 80k at least. We too lazy to go around sourcing for many ID but just go ahead with this one whom we feel comfortable with.

Yeah, it's important to pick someone you're comfortable with, who understands (or at least seems to understand) exactly what you want. You're going to be paying ID prices, you might as well pick someone you're comfortable with so that you don't have to constantly worry if they're doing the right thing :P

Oh just to find out with fellow EM owners.. your staircase is homogenous tiles, parquet or?

My staircase was originally some sort of really old-school mosaic-looking tile. We're overlaying the steps with parquet planks (the risers(?) will be screed smooth and painted white) because we wanted to preserve the vintage-looking staircase railing & handle.

We have a dog too, and him falling down the stairs in his excitement are what we're worried about as well. We're going to install a gate of sorts at the bottom of the stairs on the 1st floor so that we can stop the dog from going up the stairs when we're not home (in case he injures himself when there's no one around to help). Our designers are going to custom-make some sort of a gate for us, so we're still waiting to see how it turns out.

Edited by summersann

Spikedoll, congrats on confirming your ID. When is your 2nd appt?

Our staircase is parquet.