Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
HappyAng

Renovation Journey For Our Em @ B.batok

I prefer Tiffany blue with white pairing, much like their boxes:

tiffany-blue-box.jpg

With black cabinet and counter, the entire kitchen may look a bit dark?

It's all down to personal pref, but if black granite top is a must, I'll go for black granite top, white cabinets, metal backsplash and tiffany blue accents like these:

tiffany+blue.jpg

Or if tiffany blue backsplash is a must, I'll go for tiled kitchen tops (like Paloma's place) or white solid surface or marble top with tiffany blue backsplash.

phoebe+howard.jpg

Both options gives a 'bright' kitchen, which I like. I guess I consider tiffany blue to be an accent colour rather than a main colour, which I find to be a bit overwhelming in large doses:

2tiffany-blue-kitchen_grande.jpg?828

Then again, my place is nearly all-white, which speaks volumes about my 'colour tolerance'. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Most important is to go for whatever your missus wants. :lol: :lol:

Wow.. Thanx adidaem for your photos and comments. Will discuss with my wifey on the colour combination. Once it's firm, will post the 3D drawing here. :paint:

Also thanx summersann & potatoes for your precious comment. :yamseng:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I prefer Tiffany blue with white pairing, much like their boxes:

tiffany-blue-box.jpg

With black cabinet and counter, the entire kitchen may look a bit dark?

It's all down to personal pref, but if black granite top is a must, I'll go for black granite top, white cabinets, metal backsplash and tiffany blue accents like these:

tiffany+blue.jpg

Or if tiffany blue backsplash is a must, I'll go for tiled kitchen tops (like Paloma's place) or white solid surface or marble top with tiffany blue backsplash.

phoebe+howard.jpg

Both options gives a 'bright' kitchen, which I like. I guess I consider tiffany blue to be an accent colour rather than a main colour, which I find to be a bit overwhelming in large doses:

2tiffany-blue-kitchen_grande.jpg?828

Then again, my place is nearly all-white, which speaks volumes about my 'colour tolerance'. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Most important is to go for whatever your missus wants. :lol: :lol:

Impressive Adidaem! Did u photoshop the photos? The pictures explains everything to the core:)

Impressive Adidaem! Did u photoshop the photos? The pictures explains everything to the core:)

Nah... I'm a computer klutz. I just turn to trusty Google for pics. Ta-dah:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiffany+blue+kitchen&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=u&rls=en&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=QUeuUOj5Oo3trQezn4HIAQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ

Anyway I always wonder if people with strongly coloured rooms ever get sick of those colours? I mean, just for kitchens I've seen red, pink, green, yellow, blue, maroon... well, like all the colours of the rainbow, but do owners ever get sick of those colours? Just curious cos I can't imagine staying in a pink or blue room for the rest of my life...

Any owners can share their thoughts/experiences?

nice layout ! how i wish i can have such a big space like urs ! u r HappyAng, and i'm SadAng now after paying all for my renovations.. haha

nice layout ! how i wish i can have such a big space like urs ! u r HappyAng, and i'm SadAng now after paying all for my renovations.. haha

Thanx bro. My EM and your EA only few sqm different nia.. Btw, how much is your damage?

Challenge #2:

Balcony:

Currently, living hall and balcony is open concept. No sliding door between living hall and balcony and there is a drop of 100mm which we not intent to level up (save some $). Wifey and I were thinking of doing a simple partition to separate living room and balcony. It looks a bit funny if there is not separation. Any ideas to share? Or is there any better solution? Many thanx. :yamseng:

Edited by HappyAng

Challenge #2:

Balcony:

Currently, living hall and balcony is open concept. No sliding door between living hall and balcony and there is a drop of 100mm which we not intent to level up (save some $). Wifey and I were thinking of doing a simple partition to separate living room and balcony. It looks a bit funny if there is not separation. Any ideas to share? Or is there any better solution? Many thanx. :yamseng:

No door between living room and balcony? How will you be keeping the rain out (pardon me if you mentioned it previously)?

No door between living room and balcony? How will you be keeping the rain out (pardon me if you mentioned it previously)?

Seller previously removed the sliding door between living room and balcony. Balcony area, seller construct a roof and casement windows. Balcony will not get wet when rain..

What do you intend to do with your balcony? Will it be part of the living room, or for growing plants, or as a chill out spot? I think the suggestions should take into account your lifestyle, and is definitely something that your ID should help with.

Say you want it to be a balcony, grow some plants... have a small breakfast nook. Perhaps can consider installing artificial grass so that visually it looks like a balcony? I wouldn't bother with sliding doors/partition cos those won't be cheap and your budget is pretty tight.

Something like what ymjp100 did, except that his was open to the weather:

We have finally succumbed to the temptation of "greener pastures".

IMG_0630.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

His t-blog: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36231

His EM layout is very much like yours, so makes for good reference I think.

Btw, since you have engaged an ID, make use of his/her service. Else pay design fees for what? I'll be interested to know what your ID has suggested. After all it should be their forte to provide space planning and suggestions that suit your lifestyle. This includes guiding you through colour selection, and creating a design that helps you keep to your budget.

Edited by adidaem

What do you intend to do with your balcony? Will it be part of the living room, or for growing plants, or as a chill out spot? I think the suggestions should take into account your lifestyle, and is definitely something that your ID should help with.

Say you want it to be a balcony, grow some plants... have a small breakfast nook. Perhaps can consider installing artificial grass so that visually it looks like a balcony? I wouldn't bother with sliding doors/partition cos those won't be cheap and your budget is pretty tight.

Something like what ymjp100 did, except that his was open to the weather:

His t-blog: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36231

His EM layout is very much like yours, so makes for good reference I think.

Btw, since you have engaged an ID, make use of his/her service. Else pay design fees for what? I'll be interested to know what your ID has suggested. After all it should be their forte to provide space planning and suggestions that suit your lifestyle. This includes guiding you through colour selection, and creating a design that helps you keep to your budget.

We prefer our balcony as a chill-out corner.

We intent to use timber looked alike tiles for balcony floor. Living hall, we will keep the current marble flooring and do a polishing. Was thinking if not doing any partition or sliding door, by the differentiate of tile and a drop (100mm) at the balcony area, will it looks funny? I don't wish to do a simple partition, end up become a white elephant. And also waste $ lor. By the way, the current balcony wall (below the casement windows) is bricks wall. We are thinking just to paint it white rather to plaster it. Roof is also in good condition, so we will not do anything to it.

adidaem, u are really helpful and resourceful. Thanx a lot for your comments and ideas. :yamseng:

Challenge #2:

Balcony:

We prefer our balcony as a chill-out corner.

We intent to use timber looked alike tiles for balcony floor. Living hall, we will keep the current marble flooring and do a polishing. Was thinking if not doing any partition or sliding door, by the differentiate of tile and a drop (100mm) at the balcony area, will it looks funny? I don't wish to do a simple partition, end up become a white elephant. And also waste $ lor. By the way, the current balcony wall (below the casement windows) is bricks wall. We are thinking just to paint it white rather to plaster it. Roof is also in good condition, so we will not do anything to it.

Well... I do think the 100mm drop will be visually jarring, which is why I suggest to go for the artificial grass. It's a huge contrast colour and texture wise, which makes it look purposeful (rather than trying to hide the difference, sorta bring it out more) and gives a clear separation between the living room (marble) and balcony (grass). Re: wood tiles/timber decking, I did consider but abandoned the idea cos... think cos of the original condition of my place. Lemme show you the contrast:

living-1-before.jpg

Also similar to what was done in this reno:

loveoflove02.jpg

Dunno, just don't like it. My personal preference I guess. I don't like the wood/marble contrast. :unsure:

Cost wise, both tiling and timber decking is expensive too. Esp if you plan to hack and then tile, you may also risk damaging the marble at the edges. If you do the artificial grass, just lay it over the existing tiles. Thought it's the most economical way.

Anyway if you are not gonna use the partition (which you probably won't cos there is window anyway), then don't waste the $. You'll save a few k on that one item.

adidaem, u are really helpful and resourceful. Thanx a lot for your comments and ideas. :yamseng:

Ummmm... am being a total kaypoh. :P

Think you can try asking the other Gen 1 owners on their thoughts. They've stayed in their place for a while so would be good to tap on that experience.

Edit: Oh ya you probably can't level up anyway. The standard material used in the past has been banned cos of fire safety. Dunno if anyone has found a way around the new ruling, but read a few reno where this is causing a lot of angst.

Edited by adidaem

Well... I do think the 100mm drop will be visually jarring, which is why I suggest to go for the artificial grass. It's a huge contrast colour and texture wise, which makes it look purposeful (rather than trying to hide the difference, sorta bring it out more) and gives a clear separation between the living room (marble) and balcony (grass). Re: wood tiles/timber decking, I did consider but abandoned the idea cos... think cos of the original condition of my place. Lemme show you the contrast:

living-1-before.jpg

Also similar to what was done in this reno:

loveoflove02.jpg

Dunno, just don't like it. My personal preference I guess. I don't like the wood/marble contrast. :unsure:

Cost wise, both tiling and timber decking is expensive too. Esp if you plan to hack and then tile, you may also risk damaging the marble at the edges. If you do the artificial grass, just lay it over the existing tiles. Thought it's the most economical way.

Anyway if you are not gonna use the partition (which you probably won't cos there is window anyway), then don't waste the $. You'll save a few k on that one item.

Ummmm... am being a total kaypoh. :P

Think you can try asking the other Gen 1 owners on their thoughts. They've stayed in their place for a while so would be good to tap on that experience.

Edit: Oh ya you probably can't level up anyway. The standard material used in the past has been banned cos of fire safety. Dunno if anyone has found a way around the new ruling, but read a few reno where this is causing a lot of angst.

adidaem, you are not kaypoh. In fact, you are very helpful and provide many useful information and ideas. Thanx thanx.. :D

Hmm.. maybe we will wait for our ID to propose some solutions for the balcony separation ba.. Will be meeting my ID today for site visit and measurement.

With the new HDB renovation ruling, ID / contractor must think of a solution for level up the flooring. Lucky we got no intention to level up, minus a thing to headache.

adidaem, you are not kaypoh. In fact, you are very helpful and provide many useful information and ideas. Thanx thanx.. :D

Hmm.. maybe we will wait for our ID to propose some solutions for the balcony separation ba.. Will be meeting my ID today for site visit and measurement.

With the new HDB renovation ruling, ID / contractor must think of a solution for level up the flooring. Lucky we got no intention to level up, minus a thing to headache.

Oh your ID hasn't been given your design brief? Cos for me/us when we did our ID sourcing we went to them with the same brief and told them our key concerns (kitchen too dark, staircase too dark, wanna retain balcony space, etc), and then evaluated the designs/quotes based on how well our brief was adhered to and how well the 'problems' were addressed.

Anyway you are so lucky to be able to retain your marble flooring.