Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jaykr

An Experiement In Designing My New Home

Hi jus4fun,

Yeah! that was my thinking too. They are the experts and that's we consult them right?

Wrong laminate yikes! so did they take it out and put the new one?

They did the same for me...if you see the top cabinets, they are glass doors with wood frames. The frame is suppose to be similar color as the laminate below. If you look at the drawing we gave them it shows that as well as we told them a few times but in the end they the frame is in white color. grrr......

When I asked the carpenter, he gave me an excuse that it is because of the glue you cannot use other colors. I know for a certain that I have seen people use different colors for the frame and I even asked another carpenter and he said yeah..no problem using other colors. So you see, they are as usual giving excuses or telling a lie for the mistake they made . :angry:

If you made a mistake, own it and be responsible for it. sigh :(

Ha ha I did the same. They r after all the experts & we pay for their service.. shd give their professional advice de.. But somehow, still got comms gap between ID/contractor, carpenter & us lor. In my case, wrong laminate used for my vanity cabinet some more! haiz! :(

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi MK,

The person who did the Kitchen Cabinet is not Ah Meng. His work is very good and will post the pictures later.

This was another carpenter who just does Blum carpentry. His work in general is good but I felt this was just a bad excuse for mistake they made.

Wow that's a lame excuse!

Hi there,

May I have Alan's contact ? By the way, is he an ID or contractor??

Thanks

hi Ashleyjo,

I hope this is not too late, Alan is nice guy . I find his quote is reasonable. I just completed my Reno two weeks ago.

But to give you a head up , he is super busy and if you are in rush then may be you have to reconsider.

he is one man show contractor but he is very fortunate to have good team of people working for him. He did deliver what he promised, but must keep reminding him.

His number is 98892008.

Hi Jaykr , sorry to hijack your blog . How is your Reno progress so far?

Hi ProjectH,

Sorry, didn't get to my thread for some time. ;p

I don't think I have a handover date. ;p Most of the work from my contractor is completed. I just need them to throw some of the floor coverings and I am done.

I still have the City Gas appointment to fix the gas piping to the stove and turn in the gas as well as fan and tv fixture to be done by third party people.

Everything should be completed by this week. =)

Jiayou! Reno coming to an end soon?! Whenz ur handover date?

HI mukcid,

Wahhh.....I'm honored....your 1st post and you made it in my T-blog.....heh.... ;p

My renovation has ended, just getting some third party folks to do some installations and then I am done. Next will be furnishing the house. ;p

hi Ashleyjo,
I hope this is not too late, Alan is nice guy . I find his quote is reasonable. I just completed my Reno two weeks ago.
But to give you a head up , he is super busy and if you are in rush then may be you have to reconsider.
he is one man show contractor but he is very fortunate to have good team of people working for him. He did deliver what he promised, but must keep reminding him.
His number is 98892008.

Hi Jaykr , sorry to hijack your blog . How is your Reno progress so far?

Fan Installation update :

Due to the low ceiling of my flat 8ft, and the people in the house are most taller 1.79 and some even taller than that, we need to get a low ceiling fan. After looking through so many fan brands and models, decided on the Relite low ceiling fan. Please see picture below. Hope it works well and last long. Just got to wait and see. I am hoping to do some D.I.Y. work and paint the overlapping short panels on the blade with black color. hopefully it turns out well.

Petite-Senorita-Ceiling-Fan.jpg

Hi jaykr,

staying in woodlands since 4-5 years old. stayed at marsiling drive side then shifted to woodlands 88 nearby. now back to marsiling road coz of the space. new flats' sizes are terribly small. used to be living in big spaces so bought the 179sqm flat. my floor plan is the mirror image of your floor plan.

i hacked the wall separating the kitchen and the dining room thus bigger dining room.

converted the small space at the end of the service balcony at the front door into a maid's room. nice space with windows for ventilation.

the service yard wall separating the dining room and the toilet was also hacked away to create more space and lights into the dining room. super airy too.

can i ask how much COV u paid or u buy through SOBF?

Fan Installation update :

Due to the low ceiling of my flat 8ft, and the people in the house are most taller 1.79 and some even taller than that, we need to get a low ceiling fan. After looking through so many fan brands and models, decided on the Relite low ceiling fan. Please see picture below. Hope it works well and last long. Just got to wait and see. I am hoping to do some D.I.Y. work and paint the overlapping short panels on the blade with black color. hopefully it turns out well.

Petite-Senorita-Ceiling-Fan.jpg

hi folks

hdb always has a prob w ceiling fans....

checkout our choice of fans here

HI Rtch!

Sorry for the late reply, super busy at work.

Will post pictures tomorrow . thanx for reading my blog. its nice to know people still read my blog....;p

Pictures!

hi Spyder,

msged you.!

Hi Jaykr,

Could you please share your transport contact as I'm getting craft bricks from jb too.

Thanks..!!!

Update on my brick wall in my study room ( We want your help / opinion, please read below. thanx!) :

When Alan & company did the red brick wall in my study room, they used white concrete to spread all over and they said it is a standard practice and the remainder will be removed when they do acid wash. They replied that when I asked, shouldn't they wipe off the white cement of the brick. However, when the time to do acid waste came, they did not do it . They said cannot do it as I have marble flooring and if the acid touches the marble floor it will damage the marble. So in the end my red brick is not what I wanted it to look like. The is how the brick wall looks. Whitish and smeared all over the wall.

8680261547_5caf907333_c.jpg

When I highlighted this to Alan, Alan suggested to fix it by using Shalex or lacquer. I didn't want to do both as I seen before that it gets very glossy and shiny when you do it , especially if the workmanship is bad. The original look and feel of the brick would be gone.

So there was no other solution they offered and have to live with it.

So after much thinking , we decided to do some DIY work in the brick wall and see what is the outcome.

ME & Mr E. provided some a great idea on how you can paint using acrylic paint so decided to try that.

---------------------------------

Here are couple of pics of an area of the wall that has been painted. We stopped at this because, there is a disagreement between me and my wife on the outcome. One feels that it looks good, the other feels its just too reddish and the color needs to be toned down to be look more like the original brick color.

SO, we want YOUR opinion. Can you please look at the photos below and provide your honest comments on what do you think? I

Does it look good and goes along with the study room table and bookshelf ? or is it too reddish and has lost its original look and feel and thus does not look good?

Based on your views and ours we will make a decision on what to do. We appreciate your honest comments, thank you!! The picture are below.

The pictures were taken at night and thus not natural light.

Taken with T5 fluorescent light on :

9383884137_d5aaa6a03d_c.jpg

Taken with T5 fluorescent light on :

9383651915_1b25781a5a_c.jpg

Taken with deco light on :

9386690996_a9cc5a0eb2_c.jpg

Contrast between current brick look vs painted wall close up look

9386420390_77b1e90d0c_c.jpg

9383645393_ab2e387644_c.jpg

Edited by jaykr