Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I have been lurking around the forum since we started our house search... and after a long, long search, we finally got our new home early this year :dancingqueen:

And after another long wait for the HDB appointments... the renovation finally starts End April 2013.

PS : Well... alot of patience is required to search & wait :wacko: ... Patience is a viture :P... I totally agree now...

To kick start, here's the layout plan.

20130430_FloorPlan.JPG

To cut the long, long story short... we didn't spend a lot of time searching or talking to IDs/Contractors, just met up with a few and confirm with my current ID. The "ultimate" selection is all about whether there's chemistry, we confirm with the current ID because our thoughts/ideas gel together pretty well and we can accomodate to each other requests :rolleyes: .

Well.. my wishful thinking was ID will do "everything", I just make decisions will do :bleah: ... as the reno progress, there were tones of decision to make/tones of things settle :blink:

Tiles selection was a breeze as ID has shown us the 3D and we have in mind the type of tiles of we wanted.

First visit to the house after reno starts and we were welcome by these debris as we turn into the carpark on first day of reno...

TP425_03_Debris.jpg

Begining of demolation...

The partitions & laminated flooring all removed... kitchen hacking also started...

TP425_03_DemolationD1.jpg

And it continues...

More hacking done...

TP425_03_DemolationD2.jpgTP425_03_DemolationD2_StoreRmWall.jpg

We are really excited to see things progressing... :yeah:

Edited by dreamzgal

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Before yesterday site visit...

The short wall to separate Kitchen and a tiny yard area is up... main purpose of the wall is to "hide" the washer and the "dustbin" :ph34r:

More progess from yesterday site visit :notti:

Kitchen progress - Backsplash tiles are up & floor waterproofing in progress.

Common bathroom - Tiling in progress.

Brick wall between Living & Study is up :good: ...

TP425_04_RebuildWall.jpg

Master Bathroom wall tiles also up :good: ... the effect of the "feature wall" turns out better than I expected :wub:

TP425_04_MBath.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates soon... ...

Edited by dreamzgal

Morning, folks.. hope everyone has a great weekend :D

In this post, I would share my shopping experience :P

Lighting
I bought 80% of my lightings on Taobao via Peeka.

Taobao lightings are definetely cheaper but I can only comment on the quality when shipment arrives end May.

The total savings is about 50% as I'm using sea freight.

The lights for bathroom & store cost us less than SGD$25 each & foyer light cost us less than SGD$50 as we bought on sale items from Lightcraft.

Please refer here for Foyer Light

Appliances

We did our round of shopping at fairs & at big brand stores.

For fairs, if you can accept display items, usually the price is abt $100-$200 lower but delivery is usually after the fair.

We didn't check on the payment terms as we only require delivery in June hence have to give this option a miss :unsure:

We bought most of our appliance at Gain City as we were convinced by the sales :P

Aircon is definetely from GC as we have heard about their services from friends and we also wanted to get extended warranty for the aircons.

I fell in love with a Samsung fridge as it's a design without the ugly handles but end up buying an LG one.

It works via a

which does not have any microchip that exist in most inverter appliances.

The repalcement cost of the microchip is pretty high.

20130426_App_LGFridge.JPG

And a Samsung washer becomes...

20130426_App_HitachiWasher.JPG

We were convinced by this Hitachi washer for it's eco sensor & tangle-free feature.

The eco sensor will serve hubby well as it sets the mode automatically upon detecting the load.

I shall comment later after I get to used it :)

GC also allows the flexibility of paying a deposit first and full payment upon before delivery.

Overall, rate their service 9/10. Good product knowledge and patience to listen to our requirements. :good:

Stay tuned for more...

Edited by dreamzgal

Hey welcome to RT!

I have also purchased lightings from taobao via Peeka and it's arriving in est. 4 days (soooo exicted). However I only bought a few, not as hardcore as you, hahahaha...

You really have a big kitchen, I kinda envy that because my new BTO flat's kitchen is very very small. :(

Anyway happy reno & have a fantastic week!

Cheers!

:seeya:

Is your house at Lengkok Bahru ? The floor plan looks exactly like my current house.

I used to stay at lengkok bahru! I miss it so much. Block 45!

Thanks, Bengologist.

Wow.. you must be waiting anxiously for your lights : :notti: Do share the photos when your lights arrive :notti:

The living room consist of mainly LED light strips and downlights... and also a few tracklights... so that makes up to almost 80% of the lighting in the house... All bedrooms will be installed with ceiling fan + lights which we bought locally, lights for bathroom and store are also bought locally... hmm... maybe I should reduce the taobao lightings to 70% :rolleyes:

Anyway I'll update again when I received the lights and if they are okay, I will share the links too :D

Wish you a great week ahead :lol: and Happy reno too :lol:

Hi ucypmas, my place is at Tampines :P

Edited by dreamzgal

Ok for a moment I thought you bought somewhere here although I could not recognise the area outside your windows...

This is a very good layout - 122sqm with no wasted space. Plenty of windows too all around...

Hi ucypmas, yes.. there are many panels of windows... which I guess my curtains/blinds going to cost a bomb :jawdrop:

There are no odd corners so that makes the space functional :good:

Hi juzstapose... will post more photos soon as the house is still pretty messy with works going on :wacko:

Lighting -- Updates
We haven't bought the dining light yet and this has been the back of my head... hence we make another trip to Light Craft @ Jalan Besar.
Light Craft is having sale for some lightings so for those of you searching for lights can drop by :notti:

This is the bathroom light we purchase together with the Foyer light but i forget to take photo earlier... so here it is :P

Please refer here for Bathroom Light

Furnitures

We visited a few fairs & furniture shops... bargining is a must :jammin:

Some of the furniture shop offers package for sofa + dining set with selection choice while a rare few allows selection of items in the shop and if the price exceed then you top-up, if you are going for these packages just have to make sure that items or T&C are clearly written in the invoice.

We bought our sofa & dining set from Novena at Expo fair.

It's a 3+2 recliner in Taupe colour :bleah: , it's not my ideal sofa design but Hubby like it alot... :bleah:

20130430_Furn_Sofa.jpg

But I like the dining set and we got it in black :wub:

20130430_Furn_Dining1.jpg

More updates coming soon...

Edited by dreamzgal