Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oldskool

Blast From The Past

as much as we w like to have a original ph5, the cost and budget just doesnt allow.

so we ended up with a replica one, which is looking really good, but at the same time the most ex light we spent on.

we have this up in our bedroom, so that its the first thing we see when we wake and last thing we see when we sleep hahah

gallery_55498_86_29394.jpg

we felt that the cable provided was too 'modern', and requested for them to change it to black. here's a pic of it installed in the room.

gallery_55498_86_42055.jpg

again i must thank all the info shared from the various tblogs which i was stalking silently to get these info :)

we also got inspired from a restaurant and decided to diy our entrance light with this:

gallery_55498_86_80634.jpg

up on the ceiling:

gallery_55498_86_49493.jpg

we actually had a more vintage looking nescafe, but it was pretty badly rusted, and we decided not to use it. but we have it still in the even if we wanna interchange them.

this is the cheapest light in our place! i dont think it's most people cup of tea but we felt it blended in quite well, hanged near our vent blocks. :)

This is a really cool idea!!! I would really love to see how the entire thing turns out.

I'm sure it'll be unique and amazing!

I actually think a Milo tin might be better hahahahaha

Regarding G.O.D, I agree - their items are quite expensive!

The only thing we have from there is the coffee mug that my HTB uses in his office. It's the 'Delay No More' mug which had my HTB in sniggers when he saw it. *roll eyes*

Boys will be boys

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I love the tin lights. somehow reminded me of those shop houses with retractable milo tin cash registers :)

as much as we w like to have a original ph5, the cost and budget just doesnt allow.

so we ended up with a replica one, which is looking really good, but at the same time the most ex light we spent on.

we have this up in our bedroom, so that its the first thing we see when we wake and last thing we see when we sleep hahah

gallery_55498_86_42055.jpg

Hi how do you find the brightness of the PH5?

I was intending to buy one from taobao but i think that the lighting may be too dim/diffuse based on what other people review.

Planning to use it as a dining table light.

Awesum lights!! Where to get in SG for those black/white cables and bathroom cage light? Nice looking!!

hey hanafi, i got them from hock eng hin, opposite tiong bahru market. its a old school hardware shop with really friendly uncles. 71 seng poh rd.

I love the tin lights. somehow reminded me of those shop houses with retractable milo tin cash registers :)

yea these are non existence these days with technology arent they :)

Hi how do you find the brightness of the PH5?

I was intending to buy one from taobao but i think that the lighting may be too dim/diffuse based on what other people review.

Planning to use it as a dining table light.

i think it would be ok if used on a round table that seats maybe 4-5. anything bigger might not be bright enuff. then again, you can always change the bulb to a higher watt for brightness.

This is a really cool idea!!! I would really love to see how the entire thing turns out.

I'm sure it'll be unique and amazing!

I actually think a Milo tin might be better hahahahaha

Regarding G.O.D, I agree - their items are quite expensive!

The only thing we have from there is the coffee mug that my HTB uses in his office. It's the 'Delay No More' mug which had my HTB in sniggers when he saw it. *roll eyes*

Boys will be boys

hey zihui, yeah initially we thought of milo tins, but these days most of them came with a paper wrapper for the logo so we ended up with nestum which has the logo printed on the tin itself.

hahah that G.O.D. mug will be applicable for all of us i guess :)

moving back on the reno...as we had a slightly longer living room area which is marked as the study area for most 5 rooms these days, we wanted to use that as a chill, and relax area.

the initial plan was to build a platform, and throw a couple of bean bags on it.

our ID however came up w a idea to have a bar island top, and we went with it.

we wanted to have a feel of a place where we can seat have a cuppa or beer while surfing or watching soccer over the weekend. one thing that came to mind was to have it similar to what is slowing being phased out today at our void decks.

those growing up in the 90s will probly remember the blue and white round concrete table, with a chess mosaic layout on it.

so we went with that concept and came up with this :) :

mosaic choosen:

gallery_55498_86_58659.jpg

middle of mosaic table with simpsons tiles.

being an avid fan of simpsons, these were added for a personal touch to the table.

gallery_55498_86_146002.jpg

view from front entrance:

gallery_55498_86_43699.jpg

power point at side of table for possibe coffee machine or other devices

gallery_55498_86_50042.jpg

moving back on the reno...as we had a slightly longer living room area which is marked as the study area for most 5 rooms these days, we wanted to use that as a chill, and relax area.

the initial plan was to build a platform, and throw a couple of bean bags on it.

our ID however came up w a idea to have a bar island top, and we went with it.

we wanted to have a feel of a place where we can seat have a cuppa or beer while surfing or watching soccer over the weekend. one thing that came to mind was to have it similar to what is slowing being phased out today at our void decks.

those growing up in the 90s will probly remember the blue and white round concrete table, with a chess mosaic layout on it.

so we went with that concept and came up with this :) :

mosaic choosen:

gallery_55498_86_58659.jpg

middle of mosaic table with simpsons tiles.

being an avid fan of simpsons, these were added for a personal touch to the table.

gallery_55498_86_146002.jpg

view from front entrance:

gallery_55498_86_43699.jpg

power point at side of table for possibe coffee machine or other devices

gallery_55498_86_50042.jpg

OMG I have many fond memories of that mosaic table and am so impressed with the personal Simpsons touch (D'oh!)!!!

I think your design is one of the most unique and quirky ones in RT and am eagerly looking forward to see the completed outcome!

i think it would be ok if used on a round table that seats maybe 4-5. anything bigger might not be bright enuff. then again, you can always change the bulb to a higher watt for brightness.

What kind of bulb are u using now? Energy saving or normal incandescent?

OMG I have many fond memories of that mosaic table and am so impressed with the personal Simpsons touch (D'oh!)!!!

I think your design is one of the most unique and quirky ones in RT and am eagerly looking forward to see the completed outcome!

thanks zihui, im sure your mission impossible is gonna turn out very possible! looking forward!

What kind of bulb are u using now? Energy saving or normal incandescent?

hey lala, on the ph5, we are using energy savings, i gotta check the watts on this.

same for the kitchen lamp and main living room light.

on the nestum tin we are using incandescent, for the looks and also the fact we wont on this for long.

the rest we have got philips led bulb in them.

hope this helps!

haha ya i think the new generation wont know of the blue mosiac tiles table these days.:)

i'm looking forward to see photos of your completed home! very inspirational!

thanks!

at this point we are pretty much done with all wet works.

we have quite a bit of cement items going on, including cement screed flooring, walls, cement top for all kitchen table top, oven & hob, as well as dining table.

common toilet:

gallery_55498_86_29651.jpg

master bedroom toilet:

gallery_55498_86_73227.jpg

hob oven and dining table:

gallery_55498_86_94948.jpg

gallery_55498_86_52146.jpg

kitchen tiles:

gallery_55498_86_32828.jpg

we are pretty much left with plumbing and carpentry, almost there!

thanks hanafi!

the lights were all up and we pop by to see how it looks at night.

all the installation coordination was done by the ID and we din have to be there which was a big plus point for us.

with technology this day, we got 'live' updates from our ID on the progress, and could make changes even though we are not there physically which i think is a big plus for us.

chicken cage light from bali for main living area. think this is what they used in kampung to catch chicken.

gallery_55498_86_12359.jpg

dining lights:

gallery_55498_86_21669.jpg

blackboard wall:

gallery_55498_86_35169.jpg

corridor lights:

gallery_55498_86_11603.jpg

view from kitchen:

gallery_55498_86_60182.jpg

the lights above the mosaic table looks abit like donut to go with the simpsons tiles on it. :)

gallery_55498_86_19762.jpg

we also got some items to put up in the place once done:

diamond clock with red black wires:

gallery_55498_86_3717.jpg

ping pong dishes :)

gallery_55498_86_138197.jpg

vintage 60s wall display:

gallery_55498_86_24967.jpg

it seems really fast how things are moving, and esp so when things has been smooth flowing for us so far.

cant wait for the furniture to be in!