Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
blue218

The Move To North Eastern Town

Updating the reno blog really requires discipline and energy... :sport-smiley-003:

Went over to check out the reno today. Kitchen, yard, utility room and bathrooms are almost completed. Hall is halfway through. My ID told me that tiling should be completed by the end of this week, that is a week ahead of schedule.

tiled-hall1.jpg

tiled-hall2.jpg

tiled-masterbath.jpg

tiled-kitchen.jpg

Overall I am happy with the progress. The kitchen floor looks a bit too dark to my liking - I want bright, and space! :dunno:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I didn't go down to look at the site today but I guess the progress should be good, I have a good ID. :good:

Today, Peeka delivered the first batch of my 12W LED down lights purchased from taobao. My husband connected to the main and tested it. The quality of the build is fantastic. It's very slim, about 2cm thick. With this thickness, you can reduce the height of your false ceiling to 4 inches.

led1.jpg

led2.jpg

The brightness for each 12W downlight is 1000 lumens. You can check out the link here http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=18383058423

It's RM85.80 each. I shipped 20 pieces via Peeka on a 7 days express shipping. The shipping charge is $100.

I was told by my ID that these LEDs are cheap but the quality doesn't last. He mentioned that the reason is that it is very slim and heat doesn't get dissipated fast thus it will damage the LED over long usage.

To me, it doesn't matter. It's cheap, I can replace it anytime it spoils. :D

The progress of my renovation is fantastic. I really need not do any followup with my ID, he's project management skill is tip-top!

Tiling has been completed and false ceiling done. They are doing the first coat of paint now. My ID's painting contractor are outsourced to Nippon Paint, they are doing a good painting job so far. I saw them scrapping impurities off the wall, sanding the wall and also putty the wall. :good:

Over the next 2 days, my ID told me that they will put marble gum on the grout lines before glazing the tiles next week. The plumber and electrician will also come in to complete the necessary installations.

My shipping of LEDs down light from TMall is delivered. Sanitary wares are also delivered. I bought 15 T5 LED lights locally through LEDLightSG. It is slightly more expensive than TMALL, but still much cheaper than most of the retailers. And I am given a 1 year warranty.

Also, I have spoken to the electrician to get all the switches replaced with Legrand switch. I am not getting the designer model, just the normal type. I chose Legrand because the switches are soft and smooth during use. My electrician charges me $450 for the whole house, including material.

Today, I've got a door contractor to replace my main door with Veneer fireproof door and also install the Yale YDM4109 Digital lock. Should be ready in 5 days time.

Here's some photos of the current reno.

Paint0.jpg

Paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

The air-con was delivered and installed yesterday. It was my fault not to have checked with my ID clearly to confirm the installation. My ID actually told me to get the installer to install the drainage pipes first so that it can be concealed. But I thought that he had wanted me to get the guys to start installing the air-con. Anyway, the installer is a friendly guy and he told me not to worried. He will cover up the FCU after the installation.

aircon_installing.jpg

I have got an excellent deal for my Starmex 3-in-1 and 2-in-1from Tim at Hong Huat Electrical. Do check with him if you need to!

Tim is very professional, he calculated the BTU needed for my rooms. So I have 12k unit for my master bedrooms, and 2 x 9K for common room with a 28k compressor. For my hall, I have got an 18k unit and 9k unit for the dining with a 28k compressor.

Hi blue318,

How much u pay for the starmex 3-in-1. Is this the latest model. I was quote $3150 by my ID

Hi blue318,

How much u pay for the starmex 3-in-1. Is this the latest model. I was quote $3150 by my ID

I paid $2750 for the 3 in 1 - 12k+9K+9K. If I remember correctly, the original quotes is $30xx incl. of GST. But I didn't change my piping so I have got extra discount.

I paid $2750 for the 3 in 1 - 12k+9K+9K. If I remember correctly, the original quotes is $30xx incl. of GST. But I didn't change my piping so I have got extra discount.

And it comes with 1 free servicing.

I bought 3 x KDK M11SU ceiling fans for the rooms. It's the smallest KDK fans that you can find - 44" blades. I like KDK fans because it has a simple and uncomplicated design. I can't afford to buy so many Haiku fans, so this replacement will do... :lol:

6.kdk_fans.jpg

The electrician has fixed the LED lights in the rooms. He has commented that the made quality of the LED is good, he has seen so many China-made LED which have inferior quality. He asked where did I got these LEDs, I told him that I have got from taobao too... :D

6.LED-Ceiling.jpg

Marble gum was applied to the grouting lines yesterday. They will polish and glaze the tiles next week. With the first coat of painting done, the house looks so bright now. :good: It's a big difference from pre-reno.

6.hall2.jpg

A quick and short update on the progress...

1. Lights installation completed except dining light, I have got it delivered yet;

2. Fans installation for the rooms completed. Haiku fan in the living room will be installed this coming Saturday;

3. Marble gum applied to the tiles and polished completed;

4. Parquet flooring vanished;

5. Rain shower and mixer installed.

ID called and updated me that carpentry will be delivered and fixed on 11th Sep. They will be washing the unit on Monday. The project is ahead of schedule.

Here's some photos:

KDK fan and LED downlight in the room before the parquet was vanished.

7.room.fan.jpg

Our 12 inch rain shower and mixer in the master bathroom

7.masterbath.jpg

Polished marble gummed tiles in the living room with the LED down light turned on

7.hall.jpg

The entire house looks so bright now. :)

Edited by blue218

Hi, nice to see your reno almost complete.

Is it easy to self remove your taobao downlight? in case of need to DIY fix?

The LED downlight that was purchased from taobao was very well made. The electrician told me that the design is very easy to remove for replacement. Anyway I bought an additional 10 for replacement. :D