Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mellenur

Bringing Scandinavia To Tampines! ~5A Reno Blog~

I have a bit of a sad story.

Yesterday in my mad morning rush to send the kids to the school bus, I left home without wearing my engagement and wedding ring. It's not my first time and I never had problems. But yesterday when I reached home, I only found my wedding ring. My solitaire engagement ring was missing. I searched every inch of my WIW where it could possibly be, traced my steps for the past few days but still couldn't find it. There's only 1 person at my house who was at that area - my maid. She had changed the towels in the MBR toilet. How could I accuse? I have no evidence. I asked nicely and she said no she didn't see my ring. I went through all her things but I don't like humiliating people with them watching me. I didn't find anything. :dunno:

I'm so sad. I'm slowly accepting the fact that I may have lost it forever. It's not so much the value of the ring but the sentiment behind it. It's been with me for almost 8 years. Sigh. My anniversary is coming up next week and I'm hopeful for a surprise in a blue box! :notti:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

oh no sorry about to hear about the story of your engagement ring. Hey, at least you can look forward to another prezzie from the hubby ya?

Who knows, you may actually still find it hiding in a corner of your house somewhere one fine day? Be hopeful!

oh no sorry about to hear about the story of your engagement ring. Hey, at least you can look forward to another prezzie from the hubby ya?

Who knows, you may actually still find it hiding in a corner of your house somewhere one fine day? Be hopeful!

when that day comes, you will have 3 brillaint rings !!:good:

awwww....so sweet of you guys! I'm feeling hopeful again!

Thanks!

when that day comes, you will have 3 brillaint rings !!:good:

I have a bit of a sad story.

Yesterday in my mad morning rush to send the kids to the school bus, I left home without wearing my engagement and wedding ring. It's not my first time and I never had problems. But yesterday when I reached home, I only found my wedding ring. My solitaire engagement ring was missing. I searched every inch of my WIW where it could possibly be, traced my steps for the past few days but still couldn't find it. There's only 1 person at my house who was at that area - my maid. She had changed the towels in the MBR toilet. How could I accuse? I have no evidence. I asked nicely and she said no she didn't see my ring. I went through all her things but I don't like humiliating people with them watching me. I didn't find anything. :dunno:

I'm so sad. I'm slowly accepting the fact that I may have lost it forever. It's not so much the value of the ring but the sentiment behind it. It's been with me for almost 8 years. Sigh. My anniversary is coming up next week and I'm hopeful for a surprise in a blue box! :notti:

Sorry to hear about this. :( Would you consider making a police report? From what I've heard, the police will contact the pawn shops, etc.

Guys, need some help and contacts :help::help::help:

I have a mahogany bed frame and table in my current house which I was planning to either paint white or do white wash and bring over to the new house because it's solid mahogany wood. Do you know anyone who can do this?

So far I've contacted K of Wah King and Tommi Furniture. K came to my house to view the items almost 2 weeks ago but have gone silent. I've tried calling and sms-ing and his last reply was he's in hospital. Tommi gave me a quote to whitewash the items at the cost I paid for them - table was quoted $3,500. :jawdrop:

Both won't work for me, and for now since I cannot contact K, I will have to look for others.

Anyone else can help? My table is below.

20131230_184412.jpg

Tommi is ex! he quoted me 4 times the price of what K quoted to restore a study desk. :jawdrop:

if you are not in a rush, let K do it. There are other restorers in the market though.

Tommi is ex! he quoted me 4 times the price of what K quoted to restore a study desk. :jawdrop:

if you are not in a rush, let K do it. There are other restorers in the market though.

thanks retchlow, I'm holding out for K hehe!

Sorry to hear about this. :( Would you consider making a police report? From what I've heard, the police will contact the pawn shops, etc.

thanks inthechouse. I think my problem is that I have no evidence. CNY is around the corner and although I'm not superstitious, I want to end and start on a good note. I'm already transferring her out to another family and they are aware of this issue. It's crazy but on some level, I'm sure I've misplaced it. I want to believe that it was my mistake, and even if she did take it, then it was my mistake for making it so easy for her. Channeling all positive thoughts to that Blue Box or a Bvlgari! One can hope :)

thanks inthechouse. I think my problem is that I have no evidence. CNY is around the corner and although I'm not superstitious, I want to end and start on a good note. I'm already transferring her out to another family and they are aware of this issue. It's crazy but on some level, I'm sure I've misplaced it. I want to believe that it was my mistake, and even if she did take it, then it was my mistake for making it so easy for her. Channeling all positive thoughts to that Blue Box or a Bvlgari! One can hope :)

Positive mindset! :good: You're right, let's look ahead. :thumbs up:

Edited by inthechouse

Wow. such positive thinking. I am sure your are a very happy person. !!

塞翁失马 焉知非福。

this may mean a new Blue Box on the way and then *voila* the old ring reappears to keep the new one company :sport-smiley-018:

Happy CNY !

I don't have much to update.

Whole of last week, finishing up of tiling works and plastering was done. I'm tempted to type only plastering but I have no knowledge of this business so I'm not sure if my expectations were too high. To be fair, the plastering is very good and thorough! Some tiling works in the toilet were outstanding for a week plus because the windows were pending approval to be changed. After I chased my contractor and asked to be provided a HDB contact on Thursday, the approval came within hours. Apparently there were safety concerns as I'd initially wanted a top hung window at the common toilet but that opening faces my service yard such that if I swung the window out, I may hit someone's head on the other side. It was so so simple, if you'd have told me, I would have said fine, don't do it. Just change to normal louvers pane. Oh well, approval is in now and hopefully windows will come in at some point this week and tiling works will be completed.

Plumber came in on Friday and worked till very late but still couldn't finish everything. I spotted the below in the common toilet, please tell me I'm not overreacting when I said it's ugly and should be re-done. I've never experienced this because my current house is BTO and had concealed pipes. The reason for the "cross over" is because of the hot and cold pipe flow. All these pipes will not be concealed so I'd have to live with the sight below. I asked my contractor and he suggested I speak to the plumber direct. Hubby then called and explained how we thought it should be corrected. All my guidance was just prev experience by renotalkers. Sigh...give me ideas lah, Mr Plumber! I suggested that the "cross over" be done at the corner where there's a bidet or behind the WC so not so obvious. Plus I had to ask my contractor to re-tile those with holes due to wrong drilling. :curse:

So I turn to you my trusty renotalkers, any one who has experience the same case below and can advise? :help:

Problem is that the lower pipe is hot water so to link to my shower mixer, it has to cross upwards but blocked by top pipe cold water thus the unsightly bending.

20140117_204509.jpg

20140117_204516.jpg

Any solution for the above? I have the same problem for my common and it was explained that they do not put the hot water above the cold. Either way actually since either pipe needs to go over the other for storage heater. My master bathroom wise, they used a connector for the same exact purpose which I found leakage initially and of which they then repaired with lots of white plumbing tape.....I still find it worst Than bending and weaker due to the joint connector being installed at such a weird angle (the bended area)

Edited by tltanus

hi, sorry for the late reply. the solution for me was to do the crossover at a point which cannot be seen clearly by the naked eye - for me it was behind the WC (there's a curve) so that's where i chose to hide it.

Any solution for the above? I have the same problem for my common and it was explained that they do not put the hot water above the cold. Either way actually since either pipe needs to go over the other for storage heater. My master bathroom wise, they used a connector for the same exact purpose which I found leakage initially and of which they then repaired with lots of white plumbing tape.....I still find it worst Than bending and weaker due to the joint connector being installed at such a weird angle (the bended area)

apologies for the lack of updates.

it's been a busy few weeks for me at work especially.

let the pics do the talking!

living and dining room. painting, wiring and lighting almost all done. my hubby bought 12 pieces of the track lights and so the electrician decided to be really generous and fixed them all. i think it's a tad overdone! but mad love for the white craft-stone wall (i'm thinking to leave it in that finish) and also for the green subway tiles. we bought our downlights from JB for about RM40 each and so far so good. the small TV area my hubby used Philips downlights with dimmer and we're undecided on whether we still want to get a pendant light like the one below to put in the centre. mad love also for the dining lights from IKEA! they were very low, me at 1.62m already bang into them but my hubby said it's okay as it sits above the dining table.

20140206_195940.jpg

20140206_195741.jpg

IMG-20140207-WA0006.jpg

white wall with lights!

20140206_194806.jpg

up-close of kitchen with my kraus sink in the corner

20140206_195645.jpg

and the study room:

20140206_195842.jpg

Edited by mellenur

master bedroom is sweet shade of blue:

20140206_195439.jpg

MBR toilet (in the day) - a slightly older pic

20140125_181622.jpg

and MBR toilet at night (thanks to a fellow renotalker who inspired the spotlight at shower area)

20140206_200119.jpg

my little girls' room with their Philips animal pendant lights my hubby insisted on getting! but quite lah..I LIKE!

20140206_195312.jpg

20140206_195012.jpg

and my 3rd bedroom. not quite sure yet what to do for this room as for now it's empty. love the shade of bluish-grey - TWILIGHT! i really love this shade IRL - it's very sweet.

20140206_195243.jpg

ok just to share something we did for this and my girls' room. we know that eventually they will want their own rooms and the common toilet is quite a walk away from both rooms, especially at night. they won't wear diapers forever! so we created a light toggle from their rooms to each of the kitchen pendant lights so if they need the toilet, they can switch it on at night. it does look a little silly for now as there's a light gang which doesn't seem to switch on any lights IN the room but hope they will appreciate it when they are older.

Edited by mellenur

service yard and its lights. also where i'll keep my cats and where we intend to make a cat tree.

i love the lights, can move and twist around one. wasn't too hot about it when i first saw it but love it now that it's up.

20140206_195525.jpg

20140206_195516.jpg

and the common toilet with downlights. again something i didn't completely agree with. you see, i'm very safe. i don't do what others don't do because i think there must be a logical reason. but i saw another comment frm another blog that it's okay to have downlights in toilets as apparently condos have them too. i don't have relatives/friends staying in condos - can someone confirm this? haha!

plumber has also fixed my bendy pipes as you can see.

20140206_195553.jpg

Edited by mellenur