Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Scandipenguin

Our Modern/industrial (& Hopefully Rustic) Scandinavian Nest

hey, ur reno looks good. love that kompactop, but most of the contractor i speak to don't have it.

see that you are using wood gain tiles for your living. was told that it will be difficult to maintain, sticky feeling according to contractor uncle. any of such comment from your ID?

can i know where u got your sink? it so pretty...

Elkay 2 bowl stainless steel drop-in kitchen sink with tap hole (Size: L800xW448xD230mm; Thickness: 1.2mm)

- including a chopping board and drainer tray

sml_gallery_60641_388_8022.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hey, ur reno looks good. love that kompactop, but most of the contractor i speak to don't have it.

see that you are using wood gain tiles for your living. was told that it will be difficult to maintain, sticky feeling according to contractor uncle. any of such comment from your ID?

can i know where u got your sink? it so pretty...

Elkay 2 bowl stainless steel drop-in kitchen sink with tap hole (Size: L800xW448xD230mm; Thickness: 1.2mm)

- including a chopping board and drainer tray

sml_gallery_60641_388_8022.jpg

Normally the sticky feeling you will only get with vinyl flooring?

I got the sink from Heritage. It's really nice in the sense that it has customised drain tray and chopping board which fits nicely on the sink. So you can have a flushed surface and also much more table top space! It is slightly more ex than normal sinks but you do pay for quality. ;)

Thanks for the inform, i will check out at heritage.

As for the wood grains tiles, i was told that due to the lines, dirt will get trap and become sticky. Personally dont know anyone with wood grain tiles, no chance to step on it. But they look really nice.

Like many other forumers here, we decided on finding an ID instead of contractor as we thought an ID would give us ideas on how the renovation should go given that we are noobs. We consulted a couple of them.

- Brim Design (I** Y***): We booked a consultation with him. Drove all the way down from the west to his very nicely decorated office. Spoke to him for 0.5 hr or so and left feeling enthusiastic about the quote that he is going to give. Of all the so called IDs we've consulted, he is really an ID because of his fresh ideas. He didn't really give a lot during the consultation and yet he made us wanting to be surprised by him. We told him of our budget (30-40K then) and we did not get any reply back from him again. Called him back again to remind him. Clearly he had forgotten about us and said that he had to check. And we never ever got a reply from him AGAIN.

- Intradesign (A*******): Pretty office, nice lady. Told us upfront that they only provide lump sum quotations. We wanted breakdown of costs and immediately we decided to scrape her off our list.

-Nid Design Studio (S**): Same as Brim, we ended the consultation with him feeling very enthusiastic and excited. In the end, he got another colleague to follow up with us. We went down to review his quotation and was disappointed that everything that his colleague has designed for us is not what we had initially discussed with him. Decided not to engage an ID who threw our job to another colleague.

-Summit Design (K****): An extremely nice person. Introduced us to the HERF flooring and Kompac Plus tops when all the other IDs know nuts about it. Patient and keen on following up. Probably because he hasn't got the job yet but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Very courteous and nice. Although lacking a bit on the design flair as he seems to be more apt in modern designs. His quotation to us is also the lowest. We went down to one of his past projects (well not his, but his colleague), but felt that they are lacking in the workmanship. We decided to drop him. He is so nice to ask us have we settled on an ID and when we told him he is rejected, he even wished us well. *KAM DONG!*

-3D Innovative/Innovations/etc: Another contender. We went down to his past project (he did a scandi theme before and got featured in SQ RM) and indeed his design is kind of what we wanted. Carpentry works are also better than Summit. Although a bit on the pricey side, we still decided to engage him as we thought he would be more knowledgeable and experienced in what we want and thereby more capable to do a good job.

Initial journey was nice. He was also good enough to join us at a furniture show to help us choose some sofa and dining table and what not. Very fast in reply and follow-up. Exactly like what some fellow forumers over here says. (a recent check shows the post was written in 2011)

And then we signed the contract. We find ourselves doing site visits to check on his workers. He speaks well and does a great job in selling. But we are starting to find that the work we see was not what was promised to us. Perhaps this happens to other IDs as well but it is really saddening to see so much money being paid and things are not done according to what you want.

My reno is still undergoing. I am not going pin him down yet and say they are a bad ID company. We have expressed our concerns and again we hear some promises. We hope all these promises can be met. :unsure::unsure:

Here is the post about lights which we got from Taobao through OOPS.sg. Very cheap lights but we don't know the quality yet as they are still on a ship in transit. Some pictures of the interesting lights we bought.

Walk-in Wardrobe

T2s_s5XjXXXXXXXXXX_!!1761435729.jpg

Bedside Lamp

T2rVoOXktaXXXXXXXX_!!1707444029.jpg

• Like 2

False ceiling.
pfz6.jpg

Partition wall up.
fyky.jpg

Inside the master.
yajo.jpg

Living.
uxqs.jpg

Things with my ID got slightly better. Had another thrash discussion and we managed to get him to remove the grouting and re-lay in darker colour at no additional cost. Results are definitely better and more consistent with what we had wanted initially. We don't feel so imbalanced now at least. :good:

7 June 2014

The partition for my WIW in the master is done!

nk6ev.jpg

View from the door. Sleeping on the left and Study on the right.
qcln.jpg

View from study.
4siwp.jpg

View of living with the false ceiling and feature wall partition up. Today is laying of the craftstone wall!
fcvv.jpg

Laying in action.
v2l9.jpg

Preliminary works done! Looking pretty rustic! :jammin:
u0gm1.jpg