Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Raydon

Our Reno Journey

I have started our renovations for about 1 month. Finally decided to start a blog to document the journey.

I have seen a couple of my neighbour sharing their reno journey too.. so my floorplan is not something new.

Floor Plan

gallery_60950_431_37227.jpg

did not have the before pictures but i guess can refer to DarkWingZ's blog. The only difference is that i did not take the HDB tiles.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/65739-construction-of-our-little-estimos-nest/

Edited by Raydon

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

We have been researching online for something we like.. and finally found one that is so nice.. that we decide to replicate it!

We hope there is no such thing as copy right for interior design. Is there? :idea:

So knowing what we want, we can just show them the photo and ask them to follow. which is why we decided on a contractor.

The ID/Contractor Selection process

We had a tight budget. Initially thought i could do everything at $20k thereabouts.

But after meeting a few contractors/ID, we realised that its not quite possible due to the design we want for our kitchen and living room.

we met a total of 11 ID/contractors!! didn't know until i count it today.

In the end, we choose the contractor that did 2 of my relative's place. Not the cheapest.

Will give final verdict when renovation is over.

Edited by Raydon

Some of the items that we bought.

Fujioh FX900

gallery_60950_431_19449.jpg

Rinnai RB7503D GBSM

gallery_60950_431_17894.jpg

Bosch HBN331E2J

gallery_60950_431_110086.jpg

Fanco F1 56"

gallery_60950_431_1451.jpg

my mrs keep complaining that this look like something a coffee shop will use. :dunno:

all the items in my bomb shelter now..

fa8vw4.jpg

Edited by Raydon

More hoots from TB

My kitchen Sink

2rqm1e1.png

With this

25ku5ub.png

Basin 1

kcfexf.png

with Tap

25klb2t.png

Basin 2

34oot2g.jpg

with Tap

2vl8ysp.png

Lets hope they come as good as the picture shows.

Edited by Raydon

As I will be using vinyl for my floor, I requested HDB to help us do cement screed.

it has been a long and tedious process.

the work has been delayed for 3 weeks. on the 4th week after i submit my form, they finally start work. but here comes the problem.

First, the sub-contractor (lets call him Mr. T) hired by HDB tried to 'con' my money.

He mentioned that HDB will only provide up to 40mm of cement screed and anything more we have to do it ourselves - which is true as this is mentioned on the form

Then he said if I need to level the floor up to 5mm of my kitchen, it will definitely be more than 40mm - which is also true

So, here comes the bomb. he says i can top up 600 and he will do it nicely for me.

being skeptical, i told him i'll think about it and let him know again.

went online to my bto facebook and asked if anyone got the same thing. luckily i asked.

this neighbour of mine called the HDB supervisor in charged, and he told us not to pay the contractor anything.

he will settle with the contractor.

this happen on friday.

the next day evening (sat), Mr. T call and say he will do it the next day (sun). no mention of any payment.

i thought finally i can proceed with my renovations.

Few days later came the 2nd horror. some neighbours complained that the cement screed done by Mr. T is sub-standard. they used too much sand.

Went to my place and mine is also affected. so, hdb asked them to hack away the cement screed and do again. need to wait.... again.

there is a lot more issues but i shall not bore u all with that

this was the floor done the first time round.. not sure if you can see.. but notice the floor at the entrance of my 2nd bedroom.. its very white.. which means too much sand is used..

nbq5vr.jpg

so FINALLY.. after 2+ mths.. the floor is finally done. :yamseng:

2rnk193.jpg

end of my nightmare. hopefully no more nightmare....

Edited by Raydon

Hi Raydon! Might sharing how much u spent for that sink, faucets, basin etc?

kitchen sink - CNY828

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=26058692108&spm=a1z09.2.9.30.sdHGNb&_u=s1umporm51b7

the basin and tap i bought as a set. first set CNY488. 2nd set CNY408

All from this link

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=38290984988&spm=a1z09.2.9.263.3e8pcL&_u=s1umporm34c7

faucet CNY230

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=14128297101&spm=a1z09.2.9.105.3e8pcL&_u=s1umporm0705

Edited by Raydon

Welcome bRo!

Glad u finally got the screening settle.... u got screeding problem and we got our tiling problem haiz~ u wasted time and i wasted money T.T

Great hood you got... Maintenance free... too bad i did not have top cabinet hence have to buy chimney type. your kitchen sink tap look nice and cute!! haha~

Dun worry about the fan, when it is moving, u wun even know how it look like..... (take pic with the fan running =x) the remote seem cool~

thanks bro! saw that u also posted on our facebook page! haha

hope the kitchen sink and tap reaches me in 1 piece. hahaha

i had to use this pic to convince my mrs that its not that 'coffee shop' looking.. :lol:

etwq61.jpg

Welcome bRo!

Glad u finally got the screening settle.... u got screeding problem and we got our tiling problem haiz~ u wasted time and i wasted money T.T

Great hood you got... Maintenance free... too bad i did not have top cabinet hence have to buy chimney type. your kitchen sink tap look nice and cute!! haha~

Dun worry about the fan, when it is moving, u wun even know how it look like..... (take pic with the fan running =x) the remote seem cool~

Vinyl Flooring

Choosing colour for my floor is also headache. As my wall will be light colours (white and blue), should i go with darker or lighter colour flooring?

initially we wanted to go for Evorich HERF - Amsterdam Eggshell Design but they are a bit out of our budget.

taken from Evorich facebook

10338404_777094225656095_921195866543229

Went to source around and found one that offer me a cheaper quote.

looks a bit too white...

2ro2h6a.jpg

in the end.. i decide to let my contractor settle instead of engaging another company myself.

even thou he is a little more expensive and less colour avaliable.

the colour that he has.

2nlr2a9.jpg

guess which one i took in the end?

whats your take? Light coloured wall with light coloured floor or Light coloured wall with dark coloured floors?

Edited by Raydon

ask ur id to come out with two design of diff colour for you to choose =x i would choose dark colour for light wall as there will be a contrast. but light on light also go well with one another.... haha~(like giving you "Fei hua" like that =x) u have put your furniture colour into consideration as well not just the wall colour.

I like the third one (dark)! Clockwise from the white sample. For light-coloured floors, I prefer the light brown (anticlockwise third one)

haha my contractor doesn't provide 3D..so all have to use our imagination.. hope the one we choose turn out well...

ask ur id to come out with two design of diff colour for you to choose =x i would choose dark colour for light wall as there will be a contrast. but light on light also go well with one another.... haha~(like giving you "Fei hua" like that =x) u have put your furniture colour into consideration as well not just the wall colour.

i think we choose the light brown that u liked.. (if i counted correctly) haha

I like the third one (dark)! Clockwise from the white sample. For light-coloured floors, I prefer the light brown (anticlockwise third one)

we had a long/major discussion with our contractor on our living room design.. as mentioned, he does not provide any 3d drawings.

so he jus drew what we want on our wall for us to 'visualize'

not sure if u can see the drawings on the wall...

iem55h.jpg

2liivc9.jpg

as we are busy with work, we can only visit our place during weekends.

so we had a pleasant surprise the following week. they have started work!!!

surprise because we haven't even paid our deposit yet. :good:

false ceiling is up. wall partition on the left is also done.

electric works also done.

2qc3xp0.jpg

Kitchen cabinet base done

wioso2.jpg

Partition for MBR in progress

2lv1yrl.jpg

Cornices at passageway done

2r70n5v.jpg

Edited by Raydon