Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sapphire89

Nordic Crush

Ok! I'm in quite a dillemma at the moment and I wonder if anyone can help me!!

Originally, we decided to let the ID do the bathroom carpentry i.e. top and bottom cabinets but they said it's not advisable to use drawers cause of the piping clearance required which I understand. I found the Godmorgon washstand with 2 drawers which I loooovvvveee and it brings my overall costs down by about $300- $400 inclusive of the sink etc...

I was just wondering if anyone's got a suspended IKEA washstand? How was it installed? Did you need to convert any piping? And any reviews after use?

This is the stand that I'm looking at!

godmorgon_zpswahp6bfr.jpg

My concern is the drainage pipe (picture below) that doesn't look like my drawers can close if I go with it? Anyone got experience with this?

Photo%203-10-15%202%2009%2045%20PM_zpsro

Thanks!!!

Edited by sapphire89

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hey! I almost went with them (sooo close) since I was going to get the kitchen done by them as well. In the end, I let my contractor do everything. 2 reasons: (1) price of installation can bring it close to $500 anyway. I know, I've tried to ask. I liaised with AZ Interiors from IKEA Alexandra and the price quoted was >$120 for installation. So didn't save that much. Add in the plumbing by them (including sink / tap etc) and the cost might be even higher cus see next point. (2) Plumbing is slightly more difficult and troublesome according to my contractor. He said things were routed differently so it took him a lot of pains to install it. But if your contractor / carpenter is willing and able to go down to IKEA to take a look for you, then that shouldn't be a problem. But my contractor told me it was a hassle and he would do it for me if I really wanted... But in the end I decided not to trouble him any further.

Don't think you need to convert any piping per se (piping provided by IKEA I think) but their people know how to install it best.

You also need to have a glass shower screen since it is chipboard and better protection should be preferred.

That said, their finishing is nicer than carpenters IMHO, but that's because I love IKEA's finishing - always looks double the price. I slightly regret not going for them though, since I really do not like the finishing of local custom carpentry. It really depends on how much you like it -- if you really prefer IKEA more than custom carpentry, then it might be worth the trouble. If not, everything do via contractor also easy la.

HTH.

Hey! I almost went with them (sooo close) since I was going to get the kitchen done by them as well. In the end, I let my contractor do everything. 2 reasons: (1) price of installation can bring it close to $500 anyway. I know, I've tried to ask. I liaised with AZ Interiors from IKEA Alexandra and the price quoted was >$120 for installation. So didn't save that much. Add in the plumbing by them (including sink / tap etc) and the cost might be even higher cus see next point. (2) Plumbing is slightly more difficult and troublesome according to my contractor. He said things were routed differently so it took him a lot of pains to install it. But if your contractor / carpenter is willing and able to go down to IKEA to take a look for you, then that shouldn't be a problem. But my contractor told me it was a hassle and he would do it for me if I really wanted... But in the end I decided not to trouble him any further.

Don't think you need to convert any piping per se (piping provided by IKEA I think) but their people know how to install it best.

You also need to have a glass shower screen since it is chipboard and better protection should be preferred.

That said, their finishing is nicer than carpenters IMHO, but that's because I love IKEA's finishing - always looks double the price. I slightly regret not going for them though, since I really do not like the finishing of local custom carpentry. It really depends on how much you like it -- if you really prefer IKEA more than custom carpentry, then it might be worth the trouble. If not, everything do via contractor also easy la.

HTH.

Hi Kara!!

I remember you nearly went with them. I so agree that their finishing is nicer than traditional one... The issue I have with my current design from the ID is that they can't give me the drawers cause they say the pipes will prevent the doors from closing. They just sent me the new design today. The drawer is the small white part as they say the top is the pipes! I don't like the design. I mean what can I do with the small drawer?!? So if it's not too much hassle for them to install for me I'd really rather go with the prefab one in IKEA... My ID's going to ask his carpenter what issues we might face... The GODMORGON range is solid wood though I do have shower screens in the bathrooms.

master%20bathroom%20Carpentry%203_zpsemf

Edited by sapphire89

Hi Kara!!

I remember you nearly went with them. I so agree that their finishing is nicer than traditional one... The issue I have with my current design from the ID is that they can't give me the drawers cause they say the pipes will prevent the doors from closing. They just sent me the new design today. The drawer is the small white part as they say the top is the pipes! I don't like the design. I mean what can I do with the small drawer?!? So if it's not too much hassle for them to install for me I'd really rather go with the prefab one in IKEA... My ID's going to ask his carpenter what issues we might face... The GODMORGON range is solid wood though I do have shower screens in the bathrooms.

master%20bathroom%20Carpentry%203_zpsemf

The frame is still particleboard

Wash-stand with 2 drawers:

Frame/ Rail/ Drawer front: Particleboard, Foil, ABS plastic

Drawer sides/ Drawer back: Solid birch, Clear acrylic lacquer

Drawer bottom/ Partition: Particleboard, Melamine foil, ABS plastic

Your vanity looks shorter than normal? If it can be slightly longer (closer to the ground), that drawer could be made larger and in the same laminate? I think that might get you the same look as Godmorgon.

My price was not too far away from custom so I just went with custom I suppose. Easier to maintain in the long run also la I guess. Not so nice, but we've had an issue with water ponding there and there was no damage to my cabinet at all, if it were IKEA... Well I know IKEA well enough to know that ponding does no good! IKEA stuff still needs protection.

But the angmohs all use it, so if you really really love it then go for it lor! I think the current design is ok la, just that ya the drawer is a bit small.

The frame is still particleboard

Wash-stand with 2 drawers:

Frame/ Rail/ Drawer front: Particleboard, Foil, ABS plastic

Drawer sides/ Drawer back: Solid birch, Clear acrylic lacquer

Drawer bottom/ Partition: Particleboard, Melamine foil, ABS plastic

Your vanity looks shorter than normal? If it can be slightly longer (closer to the ground), that drawer could be made larger and in the same laminate? I think that might get you the same look as Godmorgon.

My price was not too far away from custom so I just went with custom I suppose. Easier to maintain in the long run also la I guess. Not so nice, but we've had an issue with water ponding there and there was no damage to my cabinet at all, if it were IKEA... Well I know IKEA well enough to know that ponding does no good! IKEA stuff still needs protection.

But the angmohs all use it, so if you really really love it then go for it lor! I think the current design is ok la, just that ya the drawer is a bit small.

I think it's a little short too... and honestly the usable space might as well don't have... my toilet carpentry for the top and bottom cabinets a little ex so it's like almost $1100 already... And that's without buying the sink and tap yet... That's why even if we have IKEA come install for us also cost wise shouldn't vary that much? Do you remember what were the costs like when they quoted you?

Edited by sapphire89

I think it's a little short too... and honestly the usable space might as well don't have... my toilet carpentry for the top and bottom cabinets a little ex so it's like almost $1100 already... And that's without buying the sink and tap yet... That's why even if we have IKEA come install for us also cost wise shouldn't vary that much? Do you remember what were the costs like when they quoted you?

U mean for both toilets?

My vanity alone is $500 thereabouts but we're going to fight the amount.

I got the drawers kind too from IKEA think $300+ with sink plus $120 min for installation... Added up to $400+ and still might have additional charges when they come down.

U mean for both toilets?

My vanity alone is $500 thereabouts but we're going to fight the amount.

I got the drawers kind too from IKEA think $300+ with sink plus $120 min for installation... Added up to $400+ and still might have additional charges when they come down.

For just the master bedroom carpentry... top and bottom... so IKEA actually works out to be cheaper... I just wonder the trip down and the installation how much does it usually cost... We're only doing one toilet... the other one will just use the pedestal sink HDB installed..

For just the master bedroom carpentry... top and bottom... so IKEA actually works out to be cheaper... I just wonder the trip down and the installation how much does it usually cost... We're only doing one toilet... the other one will just use the pedestal sink HDB installed..

Ah... Ok.

Then I think u can go down to IKEA Alexandra and ask? Don't go the tampines one trust me.

Just ask him install the whole thing how much lor. Cus their prices didn't tally with the ones printed

Ah... Ok.

Then I think u can go down to IKEA Alexandra and ask? Don't go the tampines one trust me.

Just ask him install the whole thing how much lor. Cus their prices didn't tally with the ones printed

Tampines that terrible ah? My flat so near there I thought it might be more convenient!

I'll go ask during the weekend... Thinking of going to check Castlery out. We still can't decide on our furniture~

Hello, just checked out Castlery this morning after work. The items looked fab online but I still wanted to do my butt test :P

They do not have the full ranges in the showroom but I managed to shortlist 2 sofas and a dining table. No crowd in the morning and the staff are friendly enough to let me butt test all the sofas and chairs but one thing I realise is the fabrics are the same? So it only boils down to the design...

I'll check out Star Living tmr...

Hello, just checked out Castlery this morning after work. The items looked fab online but I still wanted to do my butt test :P

They do not have the full ranges in the showroom but I managed to shortlist 2 sofas and a dining table. No crowd in the morning and the staff are friendly enough to let me butt test all the sofas and chairs but one thing I realise is the fabrics are the same? So it only boils down to the design...

I'll check out Star Living tmr...

Did the sofas pass the butt test?? I'm looking at the Tana or Corla one... Just need to know if it feels good!

Tampines that terrible ah? My flat so near there I thought it might be more convenient!

I'll go ask during the weekend... Thinking of going to check Castlery out. We still can't decide on our furniture~

Artbuild is infamous for their crappy work

AZ is quite busy cus all the east side people also go all the way to Alexandra.

Ya... sofa is all about the feel.. and for me the depth is important too, cos I'm too short. Think the ones you are looking at are too deep for me... got my eye on the Hanford and Naomi..

Did the sofas pass the butt test?? I'm looking at the Tana or Corla one... Just need to know if it feels good!

I wonder if it's too much trouble for the carpenter to cut the drawers around the pipes though? Hmm...

It is possible to cut the drawers around the pipes but you lose a bit of storage space. I did this for my present house.

22723698486_151ed79a29_b.jpg

Open shelves with hinge doors will maximise storage space but more difficult to reach things stored inside.

Edited by Ks Toh

Ok! I'm in quite a dillemma at the moment and I wonder if anyone can help me!!

Originally, we decided to let the ID do the bathroom carpentry i.e. top and bottom cabinets but they said it's not advisable to use drawers cause of the piping clearance required which I understand. I found the Godmorgon washstand with 2 drawers which I loooovvvveee and it brings my overall costs down by about $300- $400 inclusive of the sink etc...

I was just wondering if anyone's got a suspended IKEA washstand? How was it installed? Did you need to convert any piping? And any reviews after use?

This is the stand that I'm looking at!

godmorgon_zpswahp6bfr.jpg

My concern is the drainage pipe (picture below) that doesn't look like my drawers can close if I go with it? Anyone got experience with this?

Photo%203-10-15%202%2009%2045%20PM_zpsro

Thanks!!!

I think you are referring to the drain pipe - the concern that the drawer can't close properly as its blocked by the drain pipe.

Most drawers will be cut a U shape to go around this problem. Not an issue with most carpenters. You can also measure how much allowance you need to clear the drain pipe. The drawer can be made shorter but bot advisable as this reduce storage space.