Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

On 13 April 2016 at 8:25 AM, twinklecloud said:

Still trying to resolve my Swing Issue.

Spoken to the boss who did the balcony for me with the steel bar, he mentioned I need to get a heavier duty fan hook (see pic below) courtesy from Ks Toh.

Anyone can advise where I can get the hook?

24238403119_4206403f84_n.jpg

Don't worry. The steel of the ceiling hook I showed you (picture above) is thicker than the steel of the chains of your swing (which I saw above). Your swing chain will break first before this hook breaks. I use two of these hooks to secure my frangipani tree which is in danger of falling to one side. I thought I wrote something about this on my blog but I now I cannot find it. To my horror, I also realised that my Table of Contents (first page) has been truncated (not by me). Did this happen to anyone else?

Anyway, this is how I secure my tree using the hooks.

24497829652_a281300ff6.jpgUntitled by ks_toh, on Flickr

What you should be more concerned is whether your beam can support your swing and how you are going to secure this hook to the beam. Assuming the beam can support the weight of your swing, then the most important part is the securing part. If you can find a "n" steel bracket to go over the beam and bolt the hook to this "n" bracket, that will be strongest. Otherwise you will have to weld or bolt this hook to the beam. This may be the weakest link.

If you look at the way your swing is hung at the shop, it uses a small hook with a single bolt. The hook I showed you is bigger and with two bolts. You will need two hooks i.e. 4 bolts. In my case, I use expansion bolts to secure my hook to the ceiling slab.

You should be able to get ceiling hooks from any hardware store. I bought mine from Lida Hardware at Bedok Simpang, near my house.

Check out my blog! --> http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62505-top-kew-drive/

Edited by Ks Toh

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
5 hours ago, Ks Toh said:

Don't worry. The steel of the ceiling hook I showed you (picture above) is thicker than the steel of the chains of your swing (which I saw above). Your swing chain will break first before this hook breaks. I use two of these hooks to secure my frangipani tree which is in danger of falling to one side. I thought I wrote something about this on my blog but I now I cannot find it. To my horror, I also realised that my Table of Contents (first page) has been truncated (not by me). Did this happen to anyone else?

Anyway, this is how I secure my tree using the hooks.

24497829652_a281300ff6.jpgUntitled by ks_toh, on Flickr

What you should be more concerned is whether your beam can support your swing and how you are going to secure this hook to the beam. Assuming the beam can support the weight of your swing, then the most important part is the securing part. If you can find a "n" steel bracket to go over the beam and bolt the hook to this "n" bracket, that will be strongest. Otherwise you will have to weld or bolt this hook to the beam. This may be the weakest link.

If you look at the way your swing is hung at the shop, it uses a small hook with a single bolt. The hook I showed you is bigger and with two bolts. You will need two hooks i.e. 4 bolts. In my case, I use expansion bolts to secure my hook to the ceiling slab.

You should be able to get ceiling hooks from any hardware store. I bought mine from Lida Hardware at Bedok Simpang, near my house.

Hey Ks,

what do u mean by "n" steel bar?

I managed to get the hooks you mentioned and we did explore a few possibilities. #1 drill a hole thru the metal beam and use expansion bolts x 2 and the fan hooks to secure. #2 to wield a metal steel bar and wield both the "fan hooks" onto the steel bar to support the swing. (though it's not very heavy but just in case)

After much discussion and some friends are quite concern so we decided to go with option 2. it's quite costly to do so but for the safety.. we have to go ahead. hope this will work out. *cross fingers*

thanks alot for your advise.

On 13/04/2016 at 3:24 PM, ricepapergirl said:

*PATS* Actually it looks okay!! What is opposite the toilet bowl, just the sink? Or showers? Your door doesn't go all the way to the top of the toilet?

I must say I like the black painted pipes! I had the same idea as well to paint all my big pipes black. If you can't hide them might as well show them off. :)

hey ricepapergirl,

not really ok.. =( opposite the WC is the mini sink and tap. :( the door is not able to go all the way up due to the pipe.. all in all.. super cramp..really regret +++. shld have expanded out more the toilet.. now just have to live with it.

haha.. yeah the pipe is nice.. but kind of weird coz the color change when it got connected to the WC. :wacko:

4 hours ago, twinklecloud said:

Hey Ks,

what do u mean by "n" steel bar?

I managed to get the hooks you mentioned and we did explore a few possibilities. #1 drill a hole thru the metal beam and use expansion bolts x 2 and the fan hooks to secure. #2 to wield a metal steel bar and wield both the "fan hooks" onto the steel bar to support the swing. (though it's not very heavy but just in case)

After much discussion and some friends are quite concern so we decided to go with option 2. it's quite costly to do so but for the safety.. we have to go ahead. hope this will work out. *cross fingers*

thanks alot for your advise.

By "n" bracket, I mean something that can go up and over your beam so that there is total support. This is only possible if there is a gap between your beam and the polycarbonate roof, and provided you can find such a bracket. I am not sure if such a bracket exist. I am referring to something like this: outrigger-beam-hold-down-bracket-2.JPG

Can you take a close up picture of the ceiling hook your purchased? Did you get the strongest type? The ring for mine is 2 inches in diameter. And the ring is solidly welded to the flat portion, not just spot welded in some places.

I am not sure if expansion bolts work with a steel beam, so I agree with the welding solution. But why can't you weld the hook directly to the beam?

Edited by Ks Toh

Hey Ks,

this is what I got for the hook.

hookss_zpsbnwhzbne.jpg?t=1460806354

Yes yes. we are also contemplating of welding the hook directly to the beam if the drilling doesnt work. We consulted a few people, 90% claimed the drilling is enough to hold. so I got all these...

hooks_zpsy45qo51p.jpg?t=1460806449

Will see which work out!

Hope these will work out.

cross fingers..

Hi twinklecloud

The ceiling hook looks same as mine. Should be strong.

For the drill bit, if you are drilling into your steel beam, make sure you get a metal and not masonry drill bit.

I am not entirely sure how you are going to secure the ceiling hook to the beam. If you are going to drill right through the beam (in one side and out the other side) and secure the hook to the beam using the bolt and nut, it will be very strong. But if you are going to just insert the screw into the steel beam, I think it is not good enough.

What is the carabiner for? Is it to secure your chair chain to the ceiling hook? If so, yours look kind of small.

Check out my blog! --> http://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/62505-top-kew-drive

Hey Ks,

Yess. U r absolutely right! after much discussing, we are going to drill thru the beam and secure the hook to the beam using bolt and nut. =)

This will be very secure.. that's what everyone been assuring.. *cross fingers*

The carabiner is to hook the chain of the chain together to prevent it from moving too much on the hook. =) It is small but tried on the chain and it went thru. =) hehe

thanks alot for your help. Next week will get the swing up. Will update once it's done up.

This week nothing much.

waiting for the arrival of all the appliances (washing machines, oven, dishwasher etc) and putting up of the swing! *cross fingers*

Plus busy getting some quotations from some movers company.

will write a review on them after I shift.=)

Btw anyone has any good movers, curtains contact can share?=)

I got my curtains from a JB shop. Gave them a whatsapp message and they came to measure at your house. If you like, I can PM you the contact.

I engaged Helping Hand's mover service for transporting  bulky items I purchased online  to whole house move. They always do a good job and the charges for whole house move is very reasonable . For single bulky items it's market rate or slightly higher but I don't have to worry about the movers (often the boss + a helper)  hurting their back or causing damage to my purchase.

sarah833,

apparently helping hands only do moving during office hours.. anything on weekend, they do not work.. so that's out for me.

I am looking for weekend move.

So far, I have got 3 quotes.. still pending 2 more to come in.

The Swing chair is up!

97f6e355-3062-4613-afac-fc255fc39971_zps

Waited quite a while for the handyman(recommended by a friend) to come, had to call him twice and he did not even bother to tell me he had something and couldnt make it on time. late for 1.5hours. Felt so bad, ID came and help out and had to wait for this guy to come.

Ended up. He told us he couldn't do drill on the beam!!! :bangwall:So he suggest this way, on the side walls to hang the swing.. So ID did the measurement to ensure it is in the centre, mark for him to drill the brackets up. All he did was drill hole. (if we knew it was like this, ID could have ask him workers to help out instead of waiting for this guy,:unsure:)When done we adjusted the height and tried sitting on it. Overall not too bad!

Just feel the space behind the swing is like wasted.. we cant do anything.. :~

but at least the swing is up.. feel the background color green doesnt really match the whole balcony with the swing chair white.. what do all of u think?

The house is complete!! What's left is the curtains.. will probably get it up by next week

the final product.

kitchen!

IMG_20160422_192043_zpsismwe4wx.jpg            IMG_20160422_192009_zpsjkbsp47n.jpg

Everything is here.. now there is some issue. =( when the fridge door open.. it bang on the door handle. :~ and there is not sufficient space for the fridge door to completely open... :(

the whole row of switches.. on the left.. some changes need to be done.... apparently the first one connects my stove and my dishwasher.. Already inform ID and he will get electrician to retify...

the floor tiles for the kitchen is quite fragile..see pic below. ID will get his tiler in to change the tiles... cross fingers no more chip...=(

IMG_20160420_134142_zpsppboria2.jpg

Edited by twinklecloud

1 hour ago, twinklecloud said:

sarah833,

apparently helping hands only do moving during office hours.. anything on weekend, they do not work.. so that's out for me.

I am looking for weekend move.

So far, I have got 3 quotes.. still pending 2 more to come in.

Oh! That's useful to know! I was thinking of using helping hands as well! Will take this into account (husband and I might just take a week's leave to move in and settle stuff)...