Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
owlNbear

Owl & Bear's Parisian-Chic-Lookalike Nest

Hi!

Loving your concept and especially your dark toilets! We made the decision to overlay 1 wall of both toilets (the one with the accent design) but if we had more budget, we would have definitely gone with a resort-like concept too. Excited to see yours! :sport-smiley-018:

Thank you so much! Your bathroom accent wall looks really good. It's still nice to have clean white bathroom, won't feel so claustrophobic.

As for me, I'm having some trouble matching the doors now, because we geh kiang use different concepts. Hahah!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thank you so much! Your bathroom accent wall looks really good. It's still nice to have clean white bathroom, won't feel so claustrophobic.

As for me, I'm having some trouble matching the doors now, because we geh kiang use different concepts. Hahah!

Yeah, we didn't like the HDB accent tiles so we decided to overlay with blackish tiles (;

Haha different concepts make it interesting! Hmm, we are using black doors to our rooms (painting the door frames black too). For the toilets, we are using glass frosted swing doors. That's a possibility if you are not into PD doors etc.?

Yeah, we didn't like the HDB accent tiles so we decided to overlay with blackish tiles (;

Haha different concepts make it interesting! Hmm, we are using black doors to our rooms (painting the door frames black too). For the toilets, we are using glass frosted swing doors. That's a possibility if you are not into PD doors etc.?

I've considered frosted glass doors, but I can't really reconcile frosted glass with the raw kind of look that we're going for, I guess it's more suitable for Scandi designs. Here's a door I've shortlisted. Actually, tomorrow gotta decide. I hope it's matching! Any opinions?

doctordoor-aluminiumdoor_zpshtpxtpug.jpg

Was wondering why you didn't hack off both sides of the kitchen wall? That a structural beam?

Hi Chang! Nope, but behind it is the fridge, washer and dryer, and a row of top cabinets.

But the hacking the whole kitchen entrance wall would make the door super wide and heavy, so we decided to leave that wall intact.

I've considered frosted glass doors, but I can't really reconcile frosted glass with the raw kind of look that we're going for, I guess it's more suitable for Scandi designs. Here's a door I've shortlisted. Actually, tomorrow gotta decide. I hope it's matching! Any opinions?

doctordoor-aluminiumdoor_zpshtpxtpug.jpg

Nice! The black frames fit your raw-look! But personally am not a fan of the pebbled glass - doesn't look very resort-like. Perhaps plain frosted glass would be better? Hmm..

Nice! The black frames fit your raw-look! But personally am not a fan of the pebbled glass - doesn't look very resort-like. Perhaps plain frosted glass would be better? Hmm..

Yaaaaa...if it fits the kitchen, then it won't fit the bathroom. And vice versa lol. Hence my dilemma :dunno: But I should really look into plain frosted glass too...how much do your doors cost?

Edited by owlNbear

Yaaaaa...if it fits the kitchen, then it won't fit the bathroom. And vice versa lol. Hence my dilemma :dunno: But I should really look into plain frosted glass too...how much do your doors cost?

Mine full glass are $450 each from Siong. Oh! I meant keep the black frames (like in your pic) but change the pebbled glass to plain frosted glass.

I actually like this pebbled glass. this black door is very suitable for the theme and this textured glass has a retro style.

Mine full glass are $450 each from Siong. Oh! I meant keep the black frames (like in your pic) but change the pebbled glass to plain frosted glass.

I actually like this pebbled glass. this black door is very suitable for the theme and this textured glass has a retro style.

Thanks for the votes guys!

Penguin, I can't change the glass cos it's an off-the-shelf door (from doctordoors), but I guess this is good enough :)

It took us two trips to Lian Seng Hin to finalize our tiles. Our second visit was to confirm the tiles that we had selected previously. We also learnt that it is a must to have 30 x 30 tiles at the shower (or wet) area. This is so that the floor can be sloped, thus helping with water drainage.

The tiles were up shortly after the plastering, and masonry works are still in progress. I estimate it to be just about 60-70% complete. Also, I realized that what might seem easy, really isn't, and I've developed a newfound respect for the tilers.

tiling1_zps2srxshhn.jpg

These tiles come with around 9-10 different patterns, that the tilers mixed and matched themselves. I wanted to match them myself, but after our last few interactions with the head tiler, we decided that we could place some faith in him. Love how its turned out :) Best thing is, if the walls were to ever grow algae one day, nobody would realize. Lolol.

tiling2_zpsrmfcmsau.jpg

I wanted to have a dark floor at the shower area, but the sales lady at LSH stressed repeatedly that it would stain very noticeably, and would be a b**** to maintain, so we decided not to. Also, I have a paranoid fear that a xiaoqiang would appear on the floor, and I wouldn't be able to see it. Haha!

Also, notice the curved corner? That corner is a jerk. The head tiler (who has been really helpful and informative, and regularly goes out of his way to explain things) spent a long time discussing the tile layout with us. We wanted a 工字型 (running bond pattern) layout for the tiles, but there were some areas where this couldn't be done. Like that corner for example, so its done using a stack bond instead. Not the first incident where it has caused much inconvenience. Still, it didn't turn out so bad after all.

tiling4_zpsw8dbrgxr.jpg

tiling3_zpslbwctrvt.jpg

Here's our kitchen, and the tilers, meticulously laying out the tiles. I find it especially tedious because some of the tiles have to be cut and trimmed down to size in order to fit the area.

The head tiler (the topless guy), we found, is really knowledgeable even though he looks pretty young. And from one particular incident, we realized that he genuinely takes great pride in his work. More about that below.

wrongwall1_zpsltvrnxst.jpg

So, here's a wall full of subway tiles that no longer exists, and has a little story behind it.

After one of our visits, I was reviewing the photos when I realized that we had made a major booboo with the tiles and LSH had delivered the wrong subway tiles. So Bear rushed down immediately and informed the tiler, who actually lost his temper and blew up at our contractor (but he still managed to remain polite to Bear). In order to compensate, we offered to do away with another wall that had to be tiled.

Head tiler then explained to us that it really wasn't about the amount of work to be done. He just couldn't help but take it personally, because it was his work, something that he had taken great pains to cut, plaster and lay. And now he had to take it down again. Hearing that, we felt really bad. But it also left a pretty good impression. To us, that really speaks volumes about the pride that he takes in his work.

Anyway, enough of stories. Things are starting to take shape now, and we're really excited! Next up, a meeting with the plumber and the electrician!

Edited by owlNbear

The wall that was taken down - was it meant to be subway tiles with bevelled edges? The contractor is supposed to check mah.. so what is the new concept? Just concrete screed?

It took us two trips to Lian Seng Hin to finalize our tiles. Our second visit was to confirm the tiles that we had selected previously. We also learnt that it is a must to have 30 x 30 tiles at the shower (or wet) area. This is so that the floor can be sloped, thus helping with water drainage.

The tiles were up shortly after the plastering, and masonry works are still in progress. I estimate it to be just about 60-70% complete. Also, I realized that what might seem easy, really isn't, and I've developed a newfound respect for the tilers.

tiling1_zps2srxshhn.jpg

These tiles come with around 9-10 different patterns, that the tilers mixed and matched themselves. I wanted to match them myself, but after our last few interactions with the head tiler, we decided that we could place some faith in him. Love how its turned out :) Best thing is, if the walls were to ever grow algae one day, nobody would realize. Lolol.

tiling2_zpsrmfcmsau.jpg

I wanted to have a dark floor at the shower area, but the sales lady at LSH stressed repeatedly that it would stain very noticeably, and would be a b**** to maintain, so we decided not to. Also, I have a paranoid fear that a xiaoqiang would appear on the floor, and I wouldn't be able to see it. Haha!

Also, notice the curved corner? That corner is a jerk. The head tiler (who has been really helpful and informative, and regularly goes out of his way to explain things) spent a long time discussing the tile layout with us. We wanted a 工字型 (running bond pattern) layout for the tiles, but there were some areas where this couldn't be done. Like that corner for example, so its done using a stack bond instead. Not the first incident where it has caused much inconvenience. Still, it didn't turn out so bad after all.

tiling4_zpsw8dbrgxr.jpg

tiling3_zpslbwctrvt.jpg

Here's our kitchen, and the tilers, meticulously laying out the tiles. I find it especially tedious because some of the tiles have to be cut and trimmed down to size in order to fit the area.

The head tiler (the topless guy), we found, is really knowledgeable even though he looks pretty young. And from one particular incident, we realized that he genuinely takes great pride in his work. More about that below.

wrongwall1_zpsltvrnxst.jpg

So, here's a wall full of subway tiles that no longer exists, and has a little story behind it.

After one of our visits, I was reviewing the photos when I realized that we had made a major booboo with the tiles and LSH had delivered the wrong subway tiles. So Bear rushed down immediately and informed the tiler, who actually lost his temper and blew up at our contractor (but he still managed to remain polite to Bear). In order to compensate, we offered to do away with another wall that had to be tiled.

Head tiler then explained to us that it really wasn't about the amount of work to be done. He just couldn't help but take it personally, because it was his work, something that he had taken great pains to cut, plaster and lay. And now he had to take it down again. Hearing that, we felt really bad. But it also left a pretty good impression. To us, that really speaks volumes about the pride that he takes in his work.

Anyway, enough of stories. Things are starting to take shape now, and we're really excited! Next up, a meeting with the plumber and the electrician!

Thanks for the votes guys!

Penguin, I can't change the glass cos it's an off-the-shelf door (from doctordoors), but I guess this is good enough :)

I see! Glad that you made up your mind about the doors, 1 less thing to worry about now :sport-smiley-018:

LOVE the blackish tiles in your toilet! :notti: And YES IKR to the "if got algae on the wall cannot see but must be able to see xiaoqiang on the floor" LOL :rofl:

Don't you just love people who take their job seriously and take pride in the outcome of their work? :good: