Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
nestlee

Clean Scandinavian Design 4-room

On 8/21/2016 at 3:53 PM, nestlee said:

Hi Inam, I will not be sharing my contractor details until the whole renovation progress is completed. Hope you can understand. :)

Hey there! When might your renovation end? Looking forward to seeing the final piece! 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Any updates on your reno? I am interested to see the half wall effect for the kitchen/dining area.

Edited by Alpc

RENOVATION WORK- Part 3 
Painting

We have decided to paint the house ourselves! I think we should be able to handle the painting since it is a new flat and we can also get to choose the better quality of paint. We have decided the colour during the weekdays and spent of one of weekend for painting. 

We have earlier invited a fengshui master to our house and advise us on the colours and layout of the house. We will paint one of walls in living room and dining room grey. Cream colour for both study and my mum's room. Maybe dark blue for one of the walls for master bedroom. 

There are so many shades of white to choose from. We bought the painting tools and paint from one of the painting shop at AMK. 

FullSizeRender (3).jpgFullSizeRender (4).jpg

We are Nippon painters! Let's start painting. :jammin:
FullSizeRender (12).jpg

Yeah, we are done with painting and this is final product. It is not bad but it is different what I thought it will be. Initially, I wanted light shades of grey but we went to choose a more greyish blue. The greyish blue is so much darker and I was so worry that it will not turn out well. My phone can't really capture the real From the picture it looks so grey but it actually more bluish in real life. We haven peel off the masking tape on the ceiling it looks not so straight in the picture. I like the white colour we choose. It looks so white! I love white :lol: 
FullSizeRender (7).jpgFullSizeRender (8).jpg
Everything looks very smooth but in facts there are some hiccups during the process for painting. The walls for the study room and master bedroom actually became watery and there are small bubbles appeared on the wall.:o 
We had no choice but to scrap off the whole patch. Maybe we need to seek some help from the experts in rectifying this!!! :(

FullSizeRender (10).jpgFullSizeRender (11).jpg
Another issue is the cream colour of the walls for the common bedroom and studyroom appears too yellowish for my liking! :bangwall:
It is very contrasting with the white walls in the living room. I was so tempted to repaint the whole thing but my husband say it will look fine with furnishing. I really hope so. 

Overall, we had great sense of achievement for painting the house and contributing to building our desire home! If you have time to spare, you may want to do your part by painting the house. 

Edited by nestlee

• Like 1

RENOVATION WORK- Part 4

Choosing laminates. Our initial choice was Wintry Grey for the kitchen with white Quartz counter top. However, the contractor advised the colours may be too light. We changed to a darker colour grey for Kitchen and white for wardrobe. 

FullSizeRender (15).jpg
FullSizeRender (16).jpg

Shower screen is up for common toilet and master bedroom toilet. Although we wanted to have the shower screen with black frame, the contractor advised that the paint is not lasting. 

IMG_7554.JPG

IMG_7555.JPG
FullSizeRender (17).jpgFullSizeRender (18).jpg

The toilet doors and window for service yard is ready too! 

Edited by nestlee

• Like 1

8 hours ago, nestlee said:

RENOVATION WORK- Part 4

Choosing laminates. Our initial choice was Wintry Grey for the kitchen with white Quartz counter top. However, the contractor advised the colours may be too light. We changed to a darker colour grey for Kitchen and white for wardrobe. 

FullSizeRender (15).jpg
FullSizeRender (16).jpg

Shower screen is up for common toilet and master bedroom toilet. Although we wanted to have the shower screen with black frame, the contractor advised that the paint is not lasting. 

IMG_7554.JPG

IMG_7555.JPG
FullSizeRender (17).jpgFullSizeRender (18).jpg

The toilet doors and window for service yard is ready too! 

Hi nestlee, 

may i ask what is the brand of your quartz given? As i am interest in the marble like quartz valskas M1 bottom left.

hope u can share.

many tha ks!! 

Hi Marc31kelly

The contractor allowed us to choose either iQuartz (more expensive) or brandless Quartz. As we are not so brand conscious and can't really tell the difference between this two, we chose the brandless white quartz (Q1). Personally i think quartz is quartz and shouldn't diff too much. :X 

We were considering the valskas M1 as our first choice too! But we were told by the contractor that valskas M1 is actually marble not quartz. 
If you intend to use it as countertop, it may stain easily and requires high maintenance. 

If you have the budget, I will suggest to consider Caesarstone for the marble feel. Hope it helps and all the best for your reno :D

•  
  •  
  •  
16 hours ago, marc31kelly said:

Hi nestlee, 

may i ask what is the brand of your quartz given? As i am interest in the marble like quartz valskas M1 bottom left.

hope u can share.

many tha ks!! 

Hi Razor Rahman 

Thank you! I only be sharing the contractor details after we have completed the renovation. Hope you understand :)

5 hours ago, Razor Rahman said:

Hi,

I have almost an identical design for my house and am happy that the reno works have gone well for you. Do you mind sharing the contractor's contact details pls?

Thank You

FURNISHING PART 1- Curtains

We wanted to have venetian blinds for the living room and day and night curtains for all bedrooms. We contacted a few curtain maker to enquire about the price. Surprisingly, the curtains can cost so much! :unsure:

We learned about there are two types of materials available for venetian blinds; PVC and timber.
Initially, we thought that timber is a better choice. One of the curtain markers explained that PVC is better as it is waterproof and more lasting whereas timber will bloat when comes in contact with water and the paint will come off easily. He even offered to meet up at our new flat to take measurement. He and one of the assistant came with many different samples and demonstrate the black out fabric under the light. 

We chose the light grey fabric as night curtains and white fabric as day curtains for 2 bedrooms. I think it is about 70-80% black out which is sufficient for our needs. For master bedroom, we chose dark grey fabric as night curtains and off-white fabric as day curtains. For living room, it is standard white blinds with black woven tape. 
All the curtains will be in full length and wall to wall except for living room. 

FullSizeRender (20).jpg

IMG_7631.PNG
The installation will be arranged after our chemical wash. :D

42 minutes ago, nestlee said:

FURNISHING PART 1- Curtains

We wanted to have venetian blinds for the living room and day and night curtains for all bedrooms. We contacted a few curtain maker to enquire about the price. Surprisingly, the curtains can cost so much! :unsure:

We learned about there are two types of materials available for venetian blinds; PVC and timber.
Initially, we thought that timber is a better choice. One of the curtain markers explained that PVC is better as it is waterproof and more lasting whereas timber will bloat when comes in contact with water and the paint will come off easily. He even offered to meet up at our new flat to take measurement. He and one of the assistant came with many different samples and demonstrate the black out fabric under the light. 

We chose the light grey fabric as night curtains and white fabric as day curtains for 2 bedrooms. I think it is about 70-80% black out which is sufficient for our needs. For master bedroom, we chose dark grey fabric as night curtains and off-white fabric as day curtains. For living room, it is standard white blinds with black woven tape. 
All the curtains will be in full length and wall to wall except for living room. 

FullSizeRender (20).jpg

IMG_7631.PNG
The installation will be arranged after our chemical wash. :D

Hi.. can u share with me how much is ur curtains and blinds? I'm now searching for curtains and blinds contractor and would appreciate it if you could give a gauge.

11 hours ago, nestlee said:

Hi Marc31kelly

The contractor allowed us to choose either iQuartz (more expensive) or brandless Quartz. As we are not so brand conscious and can't really tell the difference between this two, we chose the brandless white quartz (Q1). Personally i think quartz is quartz and shouldn't diff too much. :X 

We were considering the valskas M1 as our first choice too! But we were told by the contractor that valskas M1 is actually marble not quartz. 
If you intend to use it as countertop, it may stain easily and requires high maintenance. 

If you have the budget, I will suggest to consider Caesarstone for the marble feel. Hope it helps and all the best for your reno :D

•  
  •  
  •  

Thank nestlee for info, i agree with u too. Cesearstone is out before the base is cream not white. I also dun mind brandless marble like quartz as long is reliable!

meanwhile i managed to source is lian hin, iquartz, seasonstone and colorquartz. Yet to compare price

• Like 1