Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Catt

Small House Holding Our Big Dreams

On 4 September 2016 at 7:37 PM, Catt said:

Haha but I have to admit that I have a soft spot for the Billy bookcase and I'm keeping my Helmer drawers cuz they are a perfect fit for nail polish bottles!

Who am I kidding, I desperately want an ikea kitchen as @ricepapergirl well knows, been badgering her about it. I don't want to graduate from the scandinavian design school at all! Haha

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 3:47 PM, Catt said:

7 Sep'16 Update:

Squeeeee the sofa and console are here! I was all ready to wait it out till 6pm with my laptop, but everything was delivered before 3.30pm. 

Let me indulge you (mostly myself :D) with some pictures!

I waited for you for sooo looonnngg (2 years? 3 years??) It's smaller than I thought or maybe the wall turned out to be quite big in the end.

2i9tsp0.jpg

Inside view for those who are curious what it holds...

14uyp6v.jpg

Darkling Half's couch (please note she may be the one that loves it, but that entire spot with the cushions is MY SPOT). Oh yes, I ordered those cushions from Taobao via Ezibuy. Way cheaper than getting them from Spotlight and I really like the designs. The packaging was good too, covers came rolled up in brown card/paper, ala Muji.

2uy0x0y.jpg

All together now. I feel the 90X90 coffee table is going to look tiny... and so is our 42" TV.

s2xvts.jpg

Didn't have time to comment yesterday but I really really love the sofa and the TV console!!!! Is that real leather? It looks really comfy!

47 minutes ago, ricepapergirl said:

Didn't have time to comment yesterday but I really really love the sofa and the TV console!!!! Is that real leather? It looks really comfy!

Thanks Ricepapergirl! The sofa is real leather, it's the Hendrix sofa from OM. Bought it when the price dropped during the GSS! I originally wanted a fabric sofa as leather can stick to one's skin during humid days, but some people :P just insisted on leather, so I'm going to drape it with a throw on my end (I'm the sweaty one).

I was bored waiting around the house for Citigas and Caeserstone to show up, so I decided to unpack the goodies I bought from Tangs with the vouchers I accumulated from completing work projects. I must say, the irony and snobbishness of it struck me when I realised I now own a sponge-holder and dish rack holder that have 5 years warranty (seriously?? My last dish rack was from HuaHua provision store and it was with me for 7 years). My dustbin (Brabantia or something like that) has a 10 year guarantee sticker on it... OMG. I think I wouldn't have bought these if not for the company vouchers.

I realise that Caeserstone provides a 10 year warranty and you can call them up to arrange for a free cleaning demo by one of their techs and receive a free cleaning kit. Oookkaaayyy.. so atas!!

intz0l.jpg

Edit: Can I just say CHEYYYYY! I was wondering how come my Caeserstone countertops didn't come with a Caeserstone steel tag embedded into the edge of the counter to show that this is the real-deal. So I asked the technician about it and he took out these steel tags with adhesive stickers behind it (the cleaning kit came with the tag in it). He gave us 3 tags and we stuck it on ourselves. CHEY! The cleaning kit also very chey. Essentially you use a 3M sponge (not too rough) and some Cif (white bottle) and just do a wash. :jawdrop: Ok la, low-maintenance.

v7sdg2.jpg

Edited by Catt

On 9 September 2016 at 4:35 PM, Catt said:

I was bored waiting around the house for Citigas and Caeserstone to show up, so I decided to unpack the goodies I bought from Tangs with the vouchers I accumulated from completing work projects. I must say, the irony and snobbishness of it struck me when I realised I now own a sponge-holder and dish rack holder that have 5 years warranty (seriously?? My last dish rack was from HuaHua provision store and it was with me for 7 years). My dustbin (Brabantia or something like that) has a 10 year guarantee sticker on it... OMG. I think I wouldn't have bought these if not for the company vouchers.

I realise that Caeserstone provides a 10 year warranty and you can call them up to arrange for a free cleaning demo by one of their techs and receive a free cleaning kit. Oookkaaayyy.. so atas!!

intz0l.jpg

Edit: Can I just say CHEYYYYY! I was wondering how come my Caeserstone countertops didn't come with a Caeserstone steel tag embedded into the edge of the counter to show that this is the real-deal. So I asked the technician about it and he took out these steel tags with adhesive stickers behind it (the cleaning kit came with the tag in it). He gave us 3 tags and we stuck it on ourselves. CHEY! The cleaning kit also very chey. Essentially you use a 3M sponge (not too rough) and some Cif (white bottle) and just do a wash. :jawdrop: Ok la, low-maintenance.

v7sdg2.jpg

When they installed the caesarstone slab, were you there to watch? I was astounded when they fixed the short slab on the wall, and when it was short of about 1mm, the installer casually tore a small piece of cardboard lying on the floor and placed it under the slab so it would be even. I was really speechless. 

Whoops. The caesarstone guy forgot to give me the sticker! Anyway he cautioned that caesarstone is still prone to dings, and advised that we should be careful with it. It's also not entirely scratch proof!

On 7 September 2016 at 3:47 PM, Catt said:

7 Sep'16 Update:

Squeeeee the sofa and console are here! I was all ready to wait it out till 6pm with my laptop, but everything was delivered before 3.30pm. 

Let me indulge you (mostly myself :D) with some pictures!

I waited for you for sooo looonnngg (2 years? 3 years??) It's smaller than I thought or maybe the wall turned out to be quite big in the end.

2i9tsp0.jpg

Inside view for those who are curious what it holds...

14uyp6v.jpg

Darkling Half's couch (please note she may be the one that loves it, but that entire spot with the cushions is MY SPOT). Oh yes, I ordered those cushions from Taobao via Ezibuy. Way cheaper than getting them from Spotlight and I really like the designs. The packaging was good too, covers came rolled up in brown card/paper, ala Muji.

2uy0x0y.jpg

All together now. I feel the 90X90 coffee table is going to look tiny... and so is our 42" TV.

s2xvts.jpg

My cousin's place has the same layout I realise, and the tv console is positioned under where your aircon FCU is (rotate 90 degrees).

You have such a spacious living area, that's why everything else looks small in comparison! :D 

Oh well, can consider upgrading your tv now.... hahaha....

2 hours ago, trcd said:

When they installed the caesarstone slab, were you there to watch? I was astounded when they fixed the short slab on the wall, and when it was short of about 1mm, the installer casually tore a small piece of cardboard lying on the floor and placed it under the slab so it would be even. I was really speechless. 

Whoops. The caesarstone guy forgot to give me the sticker! Anyway he cautioned that caesarstone is still prone to dings, and advised that we should be careful with it. It's also not entirely scratch proof!

@trcd no I wasn't present but the installers were not the neatest people. I went in to check after work and it was wet around the counter and bits of glue(?? some whitish stuff) on the counter edges as mine is black and could be seen. It's good I wasn't present because I would probably have a fit watching what they were doing. 

Let me just say I'm not impressed by Caeserstone's cleaning demo and kit. They sent me a mandarin-speaking guy with a strong provincial dialect accent (what if I didn't speak Mandarin?) who just unceremoniously handed me the cleaning kit in a ziploc bag containing a 3M sponge and a bottle of 'special' cleaning liquid by Caeserstone. He promptly told me just use CIF as it's the same as the Caeserstone cleaning liquid. Didn't explain what else was in the kit (some booklet and the steel stickers). Dripped water all over the floor when he sloppily applied the Cif to show me how to clean...and left his sponge behind in the sink's drainage hole when he went off. Haiz. 

Did you register your counter with Caeserstone online? If you did they will send you an email with phone number...you just SMS and arrange for the kit to be delivered and tech to come provide a cleaning demo. The Caeserstone steel tags are in the kit.

Edited by Catt

1 hour ago, trcd said:

My cousin's place has the same layout I realise, and the tv console is positioned under where your aircon FCU is (rotate 90 degrees).

You have such a spacious living area, that's why everything else looks small in comparison! :D 

Oh well, can consider upgrading your tv now.... hahaha....

Haha I did the electrical outlets with the intention of being able to switch around the position of the console and sofa. Only thing is that silly beam..cannot centralise the console!

Omg yes I want a 60" now. I'm so used to a 42" and watching it in a small living room I think I will struggle watching it further away :P

Went out yesterday and bought poufs from Make Room. While we were at Tan Boon Liat Building we decided to trawl the other popular stores like Journey East and Pomelo for accessories like cushions or throws. I don't know man... asking me to pay $99 to $350 for a simple cushion is kinda ridiculous...

We bought the poufs below for $69 bucks since Make Room was getting rid of stock. I believe it was originally $129??

2laa4id.jpg

Maybe I wasn't satisfied with expensive Tan Boon Liat so we went Ikea and bought a bunch of stuff...to be continued...Darkling Half chasing me off for dinner..

PS: She chose the liliac pouf... not me!!

Edited by Catt

Continued after dinner and a friend's birthday drinks...

So I broke my boycott (because I'm practical like that) of Ikea today and headed there and bought a couple of items the equivalent price of a $350 cushion in Tan Boon Liat:

Actually this is quite useless in the kitchen as I do not have upper cabinets and I can't use it to reach the wall sconces for polishing. But I must say it makes a great seat for smoking while watching Darkling Half (in a creepy watching manner) cooking. So cute right?!

68bt5j.jpg

Seriously anyone who is a nail polish aficionado who missed out on the release of Chanel's Jade polish would snap anything jade-coloured up. Our future bedside lamps. I really want to do a Ruffian manicure with this green colour and some gold.

2cesxl3.jpg

Then I had to get something for Darkling Half because she thinks I'm feeling guilty about taking over the L-shaped part of the couch. Which is also why she thinks I bought the poufs for her to prop up her legs when I can just recline on 'my side'. Movie and TV show-buffs will totally understand why a laptop stand like this is absolutely crucial and essential.

149nrxg.jpg

Then of course I was feeling bu gan yuan (not happy to let go)  about Tan Boon Liat and wanted to thumb my nose at it...so I went and bought 4 cushions (the bigger grey one which has a nice velvety feel and the elongated pillow)...all for 60 something bucks. So go stuff your $350 cushions up your $@#$ TBL Building shops. I also bought another 2 throws (I have 3 in total now) so the sofa is no longer meant for anyone to sit in.

16gy1rc.jpg

I also bought more glass bottles for cold water (coz I'm going to have more fridge space) and other nonsensical stuff that I thought I might need. :drunk:

I must say though, Ikea is really following trends and I am ENVIOUS of the Shaker kitchen cabinets on display and those antique-looking handles that they are now selling..totally understand why you want those cabinets @stray OMG those grey shaker cabinets!!!

@Catt right right RIGHT!!! Although I am terribly disappointed now because 1 of my kitchen walls that I intend to line with cabinets is a bomb shelter wall. Spoke to the AZ creative installer ladies, they were adamant that you can't install ikea metod shelves on those walls (as you gotta mount the suspension rail), so with that — my ikea kitchen dreams has been killed. Those reading lamps are like GORGEOUSNESS btw :wub:

Checked out Tan Boon Liat last week and I was astounded at prices as well. My rude introduction to crazy expensive furniture, think i've been doing my budgets all wrong! hahahha But Pomelo is sooooo <3! Wanna get everything in there.

What other colours were left at Make Room for those poofs, do you remember? Wondering if I should jump the gun and start buying stuff, hiaaaaak hiak hiak

Edited by stray

@stray really cannot? Oh i thought those rest on the ground and back glued to the walls...or can build a thin hollow wall and mount the cabinets on that wall? I know it's eating up maybe a couple of inches but we sacrifice for beauty eh...

They have liliac, grey, black and beige left (may have another Fuschia one). I only don't recommend the black as dirt shows up on it easily. 

Yeah Pomelo is really nice...I just went a little spastic when I saw the astronomical prices.

@Catt totally justified, haha! But for someone who splurged on an OM leather sofa, and caesarstone countertop, ermmmmm... hahahha

Edited by stray

Just now, stray said:

@Catt totally justified, haha! But for someone who splurged on a OM leather sofa, and caesarstone countertop, ermmmmm... hahahha

Yeah that's why broke already :P I'd better be using them for 10-20 years!! 

I can already see more splurges coming up inevitably! Just gotta match that sofa, .... and that bookcase.... and that..... hahaha *kaching*