Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zirhk3355

All Tanglin Halt Road Neighbours! Report In Here!

My Hokkein is quite bad but I can undestand a few words here and there. They think I cannot understand any, that's why I think she dared to scold me in Hokkein, thinking I do not understand. Sorry, I only pretend I cannot understand, not that I really cannot understand a word.

Anyway, "chao ban" I believe is a nasty way of saying somebody only wants his/her way, stubborn.

I never even call her names for being so thick-skinned and telling me what to do in my own house. :( That's what I get for staying firm on my decision. I rather say first to them that I WILL NOT be making grills, then to cave to the pressure, and say yes, and later never do. I'm not that sort. I dare and I said upfront, "I've already made up my mind already. I'm not doing grills." She kept insisting, I still said the same thing, "Anyway, I'm not doing.." She still insisted and said MUST DO, blah blah.. I said "there's no such thing as MUST" Like that she must scold me so vehemently behind my back already. Finally see some true colours.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Your husband shouldn't tell his parents that YOU do not want to do grills, he should say, "WE do not want to do the grills." By saying the word 'YOU', he's like pointing the finger at you and took the blame on you. As a couple, it's wrong to blame each other, this will affect your marriage. Both of you must stick together and be strong and insist together not to do the grills. Then the parents will have nothing to say. If the parents still nagging, then let it be, they will stop once both of you have strictly decided not to do grills. Meantime, you must understand your husband that this problem will make him stress up. Try to give in a bit if possible so that your husband understands that you still care for him and not want to stress him.

Btw, if you have curtains and no window grills, it's nice. But once you want to do the grills in the future, the brackets for the curtain tracks may need to extend longer.

I feel that his actons are quite cowardly. Actually I suspect he himself does not really want the grills too, but he's more chin chye (easy-going), so when his parents wants grills in our house, he gave in to them. Then how about me?:(! :~ I'm the one living in the house, having to face the grills. Not them!

Day before yesterday, both of us went up to our unit. Again, I tried to let him see the illogicalness of making grills. I said when the need arise, I will do it, but not now! I said his nephew wouldn't come often anyway. He exploded and told me to stay out of his family's affairs and his nephew is none of my business, then he stormed out and slammed the door.

He keeps losing his temper. I should be the one who's stressed out!

Then he said ok, we'll not be doing grills. I half-believed him. I so wished he would keep to his word and that they are true. Then yesterday...haha..truth is, he just wants to shut me up that night, but has no intention of keeping to his words. :lol:

Saw this at sinbrides forum .. really sad abt our neighbourhood. What is up man? Dirty? Break in?

PRGR (prgr)

Hey djulyn, wow your id same like my contractor charge so ex just to install a small spray :(

Your ID is dyel design? I saw their website, looks good. Are you happy with their work? How much did you pay for your reno? Who is your designer? You have any pics to share with us?

Hi J21,

yup My ID was DYEL design. They are good. So far so good. We chose them because they gave us a very unique layout compared to the other IDs. total reno was $32k excluding fittings.

Here is a link to the photos my hubbie took and posted on another forum.

http://www.bob.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?t=41685

I feel that his actons are quite cowardly. Actually I suspect he himself does not really want the grills too, but he's more chin chye (easy-going), so when his parents wants grills in our house, he gave in to them. Then how about me?:(! :~ I'm the one living in the house, having to face the grills. Not them!

Day before yesterday, both of us went up to our unit. Again, I tried to let him see the illogicalness of making grills. I said when the need arise, I will do it, but not now! I said his nephew wouldn't come often anyway. He exploded and told me to stay out of his family's affairs and his nephew is none of my business, then he stormed out and slammed the door.

He keeps losing his temper. I should be the one who's stressed out!

Then he said ok, we'll not be doing grills. I half-believed him. I so wished he would keep to his word and that they are true. Then yesterday...haha..truth is, he just wants to shut me up that night, but has no intention of keeping to his words. :lol:

I think your husband is really 'sandwiched' between you and his family. When he lost his temper and slammed the door at you, these are symtoms of stress. When a guy cannot think of a solution to a problem, he'll get really mad, I sometimes do. Guys cannot let people (especially the wife) to think that we are useless or incapable of doing things or solve problems. If things can get serious, the guy may get into depression, unless with a supportive friend or spouse. What you have to do now is try to calm him down and not talk about the grilles, imagine a non-living thing (window grille) making everyone unhappy, affecting emotions, worth it?

Another great solution is to install air-con for the whole house so no windows is to be opened at all times. Well, provided that you have enough budget for that...hehe..

Well, the water pressure is the confusing part. Some say use citygas while some say must use storage tank and not individual electric heater.

I guess not on the heating part. the retailer should advise on the water pressure part, else rain like no rain.

hello

i using water storage heater and so far bath tub, rain shower, mixer all working well.

I think your husband is really 'sandwiched' between you and his family. When he lost his temper and slammed the door at you, these are symtoms of stress. When a guy cannot think of a solution to a problem, he'll get really mad, I sometimes do. Guys cannot let people (especially the wife) to think that we are useless or incapable of doing things or solve problems. If things can get serious, the guy may get into depression, unless with a supportive friend or spouse. What you have to do now is try to calm him down and not talk about the grilles, imagine a non-living thing (window grille) making everyone unhappy, affecting emotions, worth it?

Another great solution is to install air-con for the whole house so no windows is to be opened at all times. Well, provided that you have enough budget for that...hehe..

Thanks for your insights! Maybe he's stressed, so am I! I also think it's ridiculous that grills are the cause of all these conflicts. I'm not so rich as to on the aircon 24/7. :~ Anyway, I'll be staying with my parents tonight, their house is near Tanglin Halt too, so I'll pop by alone to view unit..Heehee...Yesterday we were supposed to go down, but in his anger, he said not going already. I should be the one who's angry, yet he got angry with me for getting angry with his family members! :( He's on their side more than mine. For our wedding, I also had to fight very hard for what I want. I really envy those girls whose husbands give in readily to their every whims. My wedding was beautiful, but the memories of the fightings tarnish those beautiful memories... :P During the wedding, he thanked me for doing all the planning and giving him such a beautiful wedding. He gave me h-ell during the planning! Now after the wedding, he reminded me I'm a tua CC and only know how to spend alot and that the wedding is not even what he wants in the first place! :lol:

I'm think the reno will be no different. H-ELL..

Hi Djulyn, thanks for sharing the pictures. It's so nice to see the various decors of Tanglin Halt units. I've spend hours in the office planning and replanning the layout of my house to squeeze in as many things into my small unit. The Fengshui master came down on Sunday, in a way he made my job easier, told us how to arrange. Quite useful. Now can't wait to start reno. Not sure how things will go...conflicts and all. Quite stress.

How much is it to do aluminium frame frosted glass wardrobes? Is the price the same for both sliding and swing doors? I know most contractors seem to be quoting $250 per foot, is there any out there that's cheaper?

I also got some relatives tried to insist that I must install grilles, I simply told them smilingly, "Don't worry, I will buy a few of these, you can use them when you bring your kids into my house".

child_leash.jpg

They usually shut up immediately. Hello, its YOUR child, so if there is any inconvenience, it should be at YOUR expense, isn't it? Why inconvenient ME for the safety of YOUR child??

But at least I am lucky that my wife is on my side - do try to speak nicely to your husband lor, JS21...

Hi J21,

yup My ID was DYEL design. They are good. So far so good. We chose them because they gave us a very unique layout compared to the other IDs. total reno was $32k excluding fittings.

Here is a link to the photos my hubbie took and posted on another forum.

http://www.bob.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?t=41685

Julyn, love your cosy area with the platform!! Very nice.... Now Im trying to think if I can do that anywhere in my place !!

no grille means no grille...I've even took away the bottom ugly looking grille. So how does one break into our neighbour's house. Anyone knows what these people did? Through windows or main door? !!

no grille means no grille...I've even took away the bottom ugly looking grille. So how does one break into our neighbour's house. Anyone knows what these people did? Through windows or main door? :)

To be worried about break-in via windows is an overkill lah! Most of our flats' windows can only be reached by spiderman, and spiderman is a hero, so won't break-in your flat one, don't worry!!

BTW can take a pic of your windows with removed grilles? How did you take it out, just unscrew?? I was worried that the whole window will come out, haha silly me...if really can take out I also want to remove...

Edited by zirhk3355

no grille means no grille...I've even took away the bottom ugly looking grille. So how does one break into our neighbour's house. Anyone knows what these people did? Through windows or main door? :)

Can remove the bottom grilles meh? Is this allow?

Really can? If can, I also wanna remove. Haha, instead of putting on grilles, I remove more grilles! :)

Can I check with y'all, I'm having headache over this, I want a 2-bowl sink. Is "L" shaped kitchen better where the sink is resting on shorter "L" and washing machine at the end near the kitchen window, or should I put the sink near the kitchen window where part of it jutting out because the protuding wall is too short. Or should I put the sink beside the protuding wall very near the cooker? I hope y'all will know what I'm saying because I think our kitchens should be similar. Any insights would be great. I need to know ASAP, hope to confirm floor laying and kitchen this weekend.

I intend to place a 1.5m (L) x 0.7m (W) kitchen table at the opposite wall. Which of the above will be the best layout? I'm thinking of putting the sink perpendicular to kitchen window where part of the jutting out of the protuding wall. Is that layout good?

Can the washing machine be put on the opposite wall and the dryer above it? I'm a shortie, can I reach the dryer this way? Can Citygas water heater be shifted slightly to the top or right or is there only one fixed point for installation? So many questions, hopefully some people can answer them. Thanks!

I think posting your layout here would help - not all our kitchens are similiar leh.

The washer + dryer is not going to be very high; me is Bosch one and its only about 1.7m in total, sure can reach one lah. As for the citygas, yes it can be shifted to the right/left, but cannot shift all the way to the ceiling because need clearance for the heat/flame.