Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

1 hour ago, honeybunny said:

for service yard, as far as i know stove cannot be there even if hacked the wall.

for the concealed piping, without hacking, it could be concealed with overlay of existing flooring tiles? i have seen some tblogs here where they concealed piping in flooring as well. 

honestly i think its ridiculous, in old flats where there are no service yards, the area where you hang clothes is really close to the stove. whats their main issue anyway? smell? fire? or what? anyway one contractor told me the water inlet pipe is big, and the ground won't be enough to conceal fully. its either you build a cement screed over and yr island area will be higher than the rest of yr house, or build a platform over and put the piping underneath. aiyo just lots more work and configuration and more money just for the idea of a sink, forget it.

2 hours ago, Alpc said:

Er, I only read no hacking of flooring in bathroom, have not seen anything about kitchen. I will be asking for removal of the windows and door at the kitchen/SY part, so I will be submitting that for approval. Thought of having the whole wall hacked, but then I was told the warranty on the flooring for both kitchen and SY will be gone, so decided to to remove the windows and doors only.

@matchalatte since you are a baker, what build-in oven are you getting? I am still deliberating on which one should I get and don't seem to be able to make up my mind! LOL! I don't have one at the moment but would like to have it in my upcoming BTO flat, so really looking around, and asking around... Most of my friends say Bosch.

yup thats what i was told, warranty for floors and walls will be void. but thats ok, i cannot live with a 2.4m kitchen if i don't hack the service yard so i will take the risk. so you'll remove the windows & door so the yard area looks like it has a half wall? its the wall that is "zhor deng". 

good question abt the oven, honestly i have no idea/preference at all. and i wouldn't know as well since i haven't worked with a built in oven before. but if given a choice (and budget), most likely it will be european brand like bosch, miele, teka. but honestly to me, an oven is just a tool, it doesn't affect the outcome of yr product much. its ok as long as it does the job. i've been baking for 10 years with a small 28L panasonic microwave/convection oven, even churning out difficult bakes like macarons and croissant with no difficulty. i'm actually geared towards attractively priced bundles like hood+hob+oven or hob oven & sink sort of thing. so i will take anything that is cheap. honestly though, european brands in sg are not very good. i hear that parts are rare and expensive, and the customer service are also not responsive.

9 hours ago, fifteenmay said:

my id told me that if you do the by left method, u might need to restore things before u sell your house next time cos hdb officer might suka suka check..i do know that hdb officer needs to come down to check the windows before u can sell your flat so if that hdb officer is the by the books one see it, might ask u to reinstate

yup! contractors told me that too. there will be a resale inspection. in fact i just sold my flat and the guy from the branch office came up to look. i didn't know it was to look at windows because he looked everywhere else, esp at beams & ceiling. he also checked the whole house against the reno permit floorplan we submitted years ago. one of the contractors i spoke to say if you do "by left" method, its preferable to just buy an induction cooker, remove it and cover the hole with something if they come up and check, then say u don't cook at home LOL. but on normal days, don't let neighbors complain abt the smoke & smell la, coz if they come and check thats it. 

17 hours ago, spooky said:

Regarding the cooking at service yard, I did see an official HDB page on its website that stated installing a hob in the service yard isn't permitted (no mention of wall hacking). That means no need to even apply for a permit; it was an outright no. That's why I gave up the idea even though I considered it. That was perhaps a year ago though. I just tried to look for the website link again but I couldn't find it, strange. Maybe regulations have changed?

yeah i couldn't find the clause too, read through the whole reno guidelines and couldn't find it. i guess lots of things are "grey areas" so they didn't bother putting it down? maybe i'll call HDB and ask. because according to the contractors i spoke to, all 10 of them, they all don't know the answer too because how many actually want to cook there, except me lol

Edited by matchalatte

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
2 hours ago, matchalatte said:

yup thats what i was told, warranty for floors and walls will be void. but thats ok, i cannot live with a 2.4m kitchen if i don't hack the service yard so i will take the risk. so you'll remove the windows & door so the yard area looks like it has a half wall? its the wall that is "zhor deng". 

good question abt the oven, honestly i have no idea/preference at all. and i wouldn't know as well since i haven't worked with a built in oven before. but if given a choice (and budget), most likely it will be european brand like bosch, miele, teka. but honestly to me, an oven is just a tool, it doesn't affect the outcome of yr product much. its ok as long as it does the job. i've been baking for 10 years with a small 28L panasonic microwave/convection oven, even churning out difficult bakes like macarons and croissant with no difficulty. i'm actually geared towards attractively priced bundles like hood+hob+oven or hob oven & sink sort of thing. so i will take anything that is cheap. honestly though, european brands in sg are not very good. i hear that parts are rare and expensive, and the customer service are also not responsive.

For my case, it's not so much of "zhor deng" - I can still take it lah although it would be nice to have more space, but it's the extra cleaning I have to do with the (louvre) windows and that door. Since I am going to put windows at the SY, I might as well remove these so that I don't have extra things to clean! More light to the kitchen too!

Oh.. Ok. Hiaz... I am doing with my current combi oven and some turns out ok, some don't, but overall it was ok. Failed with bread, so never try croissants - all bread I make are so dense, that it's not really bread to me! This will be my first huge oven, so want to find something that will not given me problems (like I have to turn it around half way through the bake because it's hotter inside and all that).

1 hour ago, Alpc said:

For my case, it's not so much of "zhor deng" - I can still take it lah although it would be nice to have more space, but it's the extra cleaning I have to do with the (louvre) windows and that door. Since I am going to put windows at the SY, I might as well remove these so that I don't have extra things to clean! More light to the kitchen too!

Oh.. Ok. Hiaz... I am doing with my current combi oven and some turns out ok, some don't, but overall it was ok. Failed with bread, so never try croissants - all bread I make are so dense, that it's not really bread to me! This will be my first huge oven, so want to find something that will not given me problems (like I have to turn it around half way through the bake because it's hotter inside and all that).

you have a point! not hacking & doing away with windows is the best of both worlds. i do not like to clean windows, ever. especially not when there are so many panels! i think if yr kitchen is big(ger) u can do that but mine is a laughable 2.4m or less, i really dont know how to utilize that space if i dont do away with the service yard. imagine having to cram everything like stove, sink, fridge, rice cooker in there. omg haha, hardly any space at countertop. my neighbor already renovated :

IMG_5544.JPG

as u can see, stove & sink is nx to each other, and fridge already put the other side. and so only can utilize that small counter together with the dining table. i so wanna cry lor.

24 minutes ago, matchalatte said:

you have a point! not hacking & doing away with windows is the best of both worlds. i do not like to clean windows, ever. especially not when there are so many panels! i think if yr kitchen is big(ger) u can do that but mine is a laughable 2.4m or less, i really dont know how to utilize that space if i dont do away with the service yard. imagine having to cram everything like stove, sink, fridge, rice cooker in there. omg haha, hardly any space at countertop. my neighbor already renovated :

IMG_5544.JPG

as u can see, stove & sink is nx to each other, and fridge already put the other side. and so only can utilize that small counter together with the dining table. i so wanna cry lor.

My kitchen according to floor plan size is slightly smaller than 3100 x 2800 (since part of the wall that meets the common bathroom eats into this space), it will be a challenge too. Not forgetting the BS door opens into the kitchen as well near to the kitchen door...

So not much bigger than yours lah.

Edited by Alpc

2 hours ago, Alpc said:

My kitchen according to floor plan size is slightly smaller than 3100 x 2800 (since part of the wall that meets the common bathroom eats into this space), it will be a challenge too. Not forgetting the BS door opens into the kitchen as well near to the kitchen door...

So not much bigger than yours lah.

ya these bto layouts are not good for people who cook or bake often :angry: i will have 3100 if i hack my service yard haha. still beats a 2400 one! dont think a 3 room bto kitchen can get any smaller than mine.

forgot to reply u abt the bread earlier. what kind do u make? most of the rustic bread i make eg baguette or ciabatta made with starter are dense also, but the japanese/breadtalk kind are usually softer because i use a mixture of bread & cake flour (high & low gluten) and i knead with my standmixer until when u stretch it will be translucent eg. must pass the window pane test. but bread that is dense has lots of causes also so its hard to troubleshoot. could be under or overproofing also. but u feel its the oven's problem? many ovens have different temp throughout, some are hotter inside, my convection is hotter outside near the door but since it has a turntable so my bakes are evenly baked throughout. 

7 hours ago, matchalatte said:

ya these bto layouts are not good for people who cook or bake often :angry: i will have 3100 if i hack my service yard haha. still beats a 2400 one! dont think a 3 room bto kitchen can get any smaller than mine.

forgot to reply u abt the bread earlier. what kind do u make? most of the rustic bread i make eg baguette or ciabatta made with starter are dense also, but the japanese/breadtalk kind are usually softer because i use a mixture of bread & cake flour (high & low gluten) and i knead with my standmixer until when u stretch it will be translucent eg. must pass the window pane test. but bread that is dense has lots of causes also so its hard to troubleshoot. could be under or overproofing also. but u feel its the oven's problem? many ovens have different temp throughout, some are hotter inside, my convection is hotter outside near the door but since it has a turntable so my bakes are evenly baked throughout. 

Now i use a bread maker and a rowenta oven to bake those individual buns.. Going to use bosch in my new home 

19 hours ago, matchalatte said:

Normal one, like those Gardiner or Sunshine type - not rustic or soft type. Don't think it's the oven, but I am using my combi-oven to bake.

12 hours ago, fifteenmay said:

Now i use a bread maker and a rowenta oven to bake those individual buns.. Going to use bosch in my new home 

I also failed with bread maker lor!!! Borrowed my friend's bread maker and follow the instructions in the manual, but still comes out bad! :rolleyes:

So I am hopeless with bread making!!! :P

3 hours ago, Alpc said:

Normal one, like those Gardiner or Sunshine type - not rustic or soft type. Don't think it's the oven, but I am using my combi-oven to bake.

I also failed with bread maker lor!!! Borrowed my friend's bread maker and follow the instructions in the manual, but still comes out bad! :rolleyes:

So I am hopeless with bread making!!! :P

ok like the normal sandwich/toast type. understand. how many recipes did u try anyway? i also got no luck with breadmaker lol. last time when carrefour was around i bought their housebrand one called bluesky. luckily i didnt invest on an expensive one! it even had a kaya/jam function but mine just turned out curdled. 

hello guys, i need help with a quote, is this too expensive? basically i wanted a wet & dry kitchen. U shaped at wet kitchen with only a top cabinet at one side, full height cabinet for oven & fridge + island at dry kitchen (at my dining) area.

• supply labor, material & tools for 24ft quartz countertop, 5 blum drawers, casement hinge & glass backsplash - $8500
  • unit of 6ft cabinet at dining - $2112
  • unit of full height 3ft cabinet with blum at kitchen - $1600
  • island unit (800x2400mm) with volakas countertop & blum hinges at dining - $4125 

grand total of $16,337 of kitchen capentry for my teeny tiny 3 room BTO? not sure i want to spend that much!

16 hours ago, matchalatte said:

ok like the normal sandwich/toast type. understand. how many recipes did u try anyway? i also got no luck with breadmaker lol. last time when carrefour was around i bought their housebrand one called bluesky. luckily i didnt invest on an expensive one! it even had a kaya/jam function but mine just turned out curdled. 

try those tangzhong recipes or the 40 min bread recipe 

http://thedomesticgoddesswannabe.com/2014/04/40-minute-bread-rolls/

On 2/1/2017 at 1:53 AM, matchalatte said:

HOUSEHOLD SHELTER

household.jpg

i really like this idea of movable shoe shelves inside the bomb shelter, opening up to reveal a tiny space behind for stuff like vacuum cleaner & luggage. as you can see, i don't have a proper place for a shoe cabinet and the DB box just won't do, so i will go for this idea instead.

I have no space for shoe cabinet too! :~ But I'm afraid if I do this way, the whole bomb shelter will smell haha.

1489424547960.png

i've also decided on black sanitaryware & accessories like mixer taps, rainshower, stone kitchen sink etc. hubby approves! the only white ones will be the toilet bowl and bathroom sink. 

hoping that they'll look good together. fingers crossed. 

OMG I love LOVE your black and gold rainshower! If you are buying that, let me know how it fares please~

we finally collected our keys! here are some pics of the bare unit.

IMG_0429.JPG.c0967a32b8bfe7bfbe4f53b386799d30.JPG

view from entrance

IMG_0242.JPG.8c4e2869e478863c91db38ab5999a9da.JPG

view from living room

IMG_0262.JPG.ba902857ef4c51e4e1c7e2aa0a682732.JPG

pool view!

1502458351698.jpeg.842a55c2c85135dbd275da65b543c480.jpeg

main door

1502458542601.jpeg.b335848ded79d0b6545de5a003963b3d.jpeg

dining area

1502458147324.jpeg.1b504a04ccd0c9d55fd0c71cc55e0edb.jpeg

teeny tiny kitchen that only measures a glorious 1.9m on this side :wacko:

1502458283653.jpeg.f6a3daa0eb908f346aa36c3a8606d7ce.jpeg

teeny tiny kitchen on the other side. i actually like the lines of the wall tiles!

IMG_0253.JPG.ac585e9526d50cef32a024a7c53bfbb9.JPG

BR1

IMG_0255.JPG.378bb3ab1b42e141a39d6565ad4e07a5.JPG

MBR

IMG_0309.JPG.15ba2f0202b88084ad8b1277bb33de9f.JPG

common bath

IMG_0304.JPG.a01716872c220e8ed33d592b4b27aaa5.JPG

MBR bath

overall im pretty happy with the view. super love the view of the pool and theres no blockage all around. workmanship is seriously awesome, i hereby declare there arent any, or rather, much defects so we wont be filling up the defect form. my only major gripe is the extremely low water pressure. water flow is so ridiculously small even though the valve is at the max, this i probably need to report to BSC. 

Edited by matchalatte