Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RyanYTH

My Modern Zen 2-Room 35sqm (Type 1) HDB BTO Apartment Renovation Journey

6 hours ago, matchalatte said:

re the curtain in the bathroom, maybe try the ikea curtain rod? it can be mounted on both the ceiling and wall. like this :betydlig-wall-ceiling-bracket-black__040

of course another alternative would be to do the window sticker but your window is already frosted, whats the point of putting frosted sticker on a frosted glass? you wont be able to open the window anyway :huh:

Thank you for the suggestion. :)
Although...in your sample picture shown, the curtain bracket is a little bit short. Even if i put this, the whole curtain will drape down look abit unnatural.
But its still interesting to know that such curtain pole got fix on ceiling version instead of affix to wall version. I'll take note of it when fixing curtain for
both my bedroom and living room.

Actually HDB original glass is not frosted. (i think) Its just a piece of sticker that covers it to prevent it from being scratched.
The original default is still clear. Cheapest way of course is to simply not remove that piece of protective sticker lah hehehe

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hmm... why do you need a curtain / blind in the bathroom? I believe the existing is already a translucent glass? It will only show your silhouette at night. And you are at the top floor. Are there opp units that can see your bathroom clearly via the window? Are you going to open that window most of the time?

I just realised that I did not take any picture of my bathroom blind. Will go take a detail look this weekend.

Initially I left my bathroom window open wide most of the time and roll down the blind whenever I need to use the bathroom. But lately getting lazier to roll up and down everytime so I have been leaving the blind rolled up and just open the window a small gap for ventilation, probably also because I got 2 doors so ventilation is not an issue. So the blind is sort of "useless" now. But this is also because my opp neighbour (who is only about 3 meters opp) is still no where to be seen...

1 hour ago, mmoh said:

hmm... why do you need a curtain / blind in the bathroom? I believe the existing is already a translucent glass? It will only show your silhouette at night. And you are at the top floor. Are there opp units that can see your bathroom clearly via the window? Are you going to open that window most of the time?

I just realised that I did not take any picture of my bathroom blind. Will go take a detail look this weekend.

Initially I left my bathroom window open wide most of the time and roll down the blind whenever I need to use the bathroom. But lately getting lazier to roll up and down everytime so I have been leaving the blind rolled up and just open the window a small gap for ventilation, probably also because I got 2 doors so ventilation is not an issue. So the blind is sort of "useless" now. But this is also because my opp neighbour (who is only about 3 meters opp) is still no where to be seen...

This is the view from my Bathroom window. People from outside corridor will be able to look in if I open the Bathroom window.

IMG_20171012_114802.jpg.5949720c6bf02100c6d120c8d59c3d42.jpg

But you're right lol.

Upon closer inspection, the window provided by HDB is indeed an opaque glass instead of a piece of protective film just covering a clear glass as ive initially thought.

Guess a Curtain blind or Frosted glass won't be necessary for the bathroom after all :D I just need to close the bathroom window or leave the tiny sub window at the top to open for ventilation. That said I wonder if there is still some way to decorate it instead of just a plain standard hdb toilet window. Perhaps a bead curtain purely for cosmetic purposes? :P

IMG_20171012_115254.jpg.23ff05fb7ab2c7dc3b850881ad2f5f3f.jpg

Edited by ryanyth

I saw this windows blind problem and I have the same windows as you and then I go to see how they installed on my windows, the L bracket is drilled into the aluminium frame, so you can still just install a venetian blind. attached my pic from my blog for your reference. yrs is maybe 1 cm lower then mine but should be ok to install.

VDining9.jpg.5b6ae573ef33c8b6e859ad368a95de88.jpgVDining10.jpg.d34b1cc8809c49ddaf2d30d973ff4de0.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, andotang said:

I saw this windows blind problem and I have the same windows as you and then I go to see how they installed on my windows, the L bracket is drilled into the aluminium frame, so you can still just install a venetian blind. attached my pic from my blog for your reference. yrs is maybe 1 cm lower then mine but should be ok to install.

VDining9.jpg.5b6ae573ef33c8b6e859ad368a95de88.jpgVDining10.jpg.d34b1cc8809c49ddaf2d30d973ff4de0.jpg

L Bracket is drilled into the aluminium frame? Sibeh skill bro.

Thanks for showing your pics! :)

Looks really good!!

Your pics make me so happy and here I thought it was a lost cause for me! :D

Edited by ryanyth

10 hours ago, ryanyth said:

This is the view from my Bathroom window. People from outside corridor will be able to look in if I open the Bathroom window.

IMG_20171012_114802.jpg.5949720c6bf02100c6d120c8d59c3d42.jpg

But you're right lol.

Upon closer inspection, the window provided by HDB is indeed an opaque glass instead of a piece of protective film just covering a clear glass as ive initially thought.

Guess a Curtain blind or Frosted glass won't be necessary for the bathroom after all :D I just need to close the bathroom window or leave the tiny sub window at the top to open for ventilation. That said I wonder if there is still some way to decorate it instead of just a plain standard hdb toilet window. Perhaps a bead curtain purely for cosmetic purposes? :P

if i rmb correctly, u did not do a door, just a partition. is the partition right beside the window? 

actually i think dun need to "decorate" the window lah. cos every item that you add on to the house, u need to clean it. so for me, the lesser the better.

9 hours ago, andotang said:

VDining9.jpg.5b6ae573ef33c8b6e859ad368a95de88.jpg

hello andrew! :D reminds me of your house's good view!

5 hours ago, mmoh said:

if i rmb correctly, u did not do a door, just a partition. is the partition right beside the window? 

actually i think dun need to "decorate" the window lah. cos every item that you add on to the house, u need to clean it. so for me, the lesser the better.

hello andrew! :D reminds me of your house's good view!

Erm, i do have a door. 35sqm bathrooms only have 1 door by default.
The partition is a glass panel seperating between wet and dry areas.

A Quick Update:
Hey folks, please note:
I've also made a backup of this blog on Wordpress incase the blog is taken down by Renotalk for
any reason in the future. Other than a few slight formatting changes, the contents will be identical.

Any future updates and comments will of course still carry on as usual on Renotalk first.
However if you are looking for a more streamline version to read EVERYTHING at one go
without any interruptions, the Wordpress version is more suitable in that way.

https://hdb2roomrenovation.wordpress.com/

So yea, thanks. :)

Edited by ryanyth

3 hours ago, mmoh said:

Ok. I know you cant see from this picture but my blind was drilled onto the aluminium frame.

20171015_102502.jpg

Thanks mmoh the fact it is possible to drill it into the aluminium frame is good enuff. Will let those curtain people handle it if I'm buying curtains.

Blog Entry Date: 15th October 2017 Sunday
Click Here to go back to Page 1 - Table of Contents

Kitchen / Bathroom Fittings Shopping at SaniQUO

Some sharp eyed readers may have realized that I have removed the Blog Entry that showcased my
Window Shopping visit previously to Luxury @ Joo Chiat. I have since decided not to purchase from them. I figured I might as well remove the Blog Entry and not do free advertising for them. lol. :D Moving on, any vendors that I've shortlisted in this blog, but did not engage the services of, I will also be removing their entries.
----------------------------------------------------------

Continuing on, it has been a busy weekend. Really busy. :o
Not only have I finally made my Kitchen and Bathroom Fittings purchases, i've also met up with the Carpenter and discussed about Carpentry works to be done for my Kitchen, Bathroom and Bedroom, which was quite honestly a very interesting learning experience.

Because of so much things I did over the weekend, I have split it into 2 parts. This part you are reading is my shopping spree. My meeting with Carpenter will be posted on the next post.
----------------------------------------------------------

For shopping, the place i've decided to shop was
"SaniQUO Bathroom and Kitchen Gallery" at Sims Avenue (At Paya Lebar)

http://www.saniquo.com.sg/

https://www.google.com/maps/place/SaniQUO+Pte+Ltd+-+Bathroom+%26+Kitchen+Gallery/@1.31625,103.8883483,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x31da183d4fd6eddd:0xc9fdc08b04670907!8m2!3d1.31625!4d103.890537

The place is just 1 level, within walking distance from Paya Lebar MRT.
Interior Views of how this place looks like:

saniquo1.jpg.0df00cab578fe67852dd7ae4632a4040.jpg
saniquo2.jpg.a294087ac8070ed19568d8d1ebf8b6e8.jpg
saniquo3.jpg.b12526357b4ffe690544c8df8d91db6e.jpg

Actually i've been to this place before to recee because of some good reviews i've read.
The prices while not particularly cheap, I still feel is affordable for me.

That said, when you visit, insist on this guy Tommy. He's a very friendly chap and from our conversations, he sounds knowledgeable on what he is selling. When I got my ID Jason and him to check measurements and such, they clicked very well and talked as if they were old friends lol! :D

Below are the list of items i've bought. Total i've spend $3000 on them after discounts.
Yea you can probably lower this price alot more if you are diligent enough to buy online from Taobao or from Malaysia.

Pictures will be numbered and the actual items will be listed below for easier reference:
59e34c547d36a_123.jpg.2ac992b2d3b564ca63a0db592b0cff26.jpg
59e34c559ea8c_456.jpg.f0150e5b200e494e304859ded0dfe494.jpg
59e37b067bc1e_789.jpg.c16cd1b36b5c92277f26d0aeda8138fa.jpg
59e34c573be4f_1011.jpg.de76514532d71833e64b921f3489eaf5.jpg
59e34c58bdd20_121314.jpg.86f217b33b6dec3f582d1e26f8b0415e.jpg

1) ALBE Single Bowl Kitchen Sink
2) SR Kitchen Sink Cold Tap
3) MT70 Toilet Paper Holder
4) FD 107-10 Angle Valve
5) GLB 06 Hand Spray
6) G-Ferretti Tall Basin Tap

7) Fujioh 2 Cooker Induction Hob FH-ID 5125
(It was a choice between EF and this one, and I've heard EF is pretty bad, and this one is supposedly Made in Japan?) :huh:

8) Ariston 71L FA3-834-H-IX-A-AUS Built In Oven
(Weekend Baking Adventures Here I come!!! :D)

9) Ariston Andris Slim 20 Storage Heater 20L
(I really like how modern this thing looks compared to the stereotypical metal drum look of most storage heaters. I hope it works well enough.)

10) FD Corner Black Glass Shelf X 2
11) TMA 02 Towel Rack

12) ALBE Bathroom Stone Basin (I fell in love with this basin the first time I saw it. It looks so classy!) :D

13) GROHE BE Bath Mixer
14) GROHE Shower Set
(Weehee!! Everyone say Grohe so good so good, I guess I'll give them a try see if they are really that good or not :D)

And thats it.
My Shopping for Kitchen and Bathroom Fittings are finally done! :D
Stay tuned, I'll update about my meeting with my Carpenter in the next post!

Click Here for the Next Blog Entry:
Meeting with my Carpenter for Discussions

Edited by ryanyth

Blog Entry Date: 16th October 2017 Monday

Meeting with my Carpenter for Discussions

Continuing on from where we left off, this 2nd part will be about the meetup I had last Saturday
with the Carpenter (Ah Mun) who will be designing and fabricating all the carpentry works in my apartment.

It was a very interesting process, and I will try my best to slowly explain how it all goes. :D

Here's Jason and Ah Mun discussing on Carpentry Works:
IMG_20171014_161310.jpg.16c2a7df8c599d67cb108fa994f96b08.jpg

Apparently, before we even met up, the Carpenter actually went up to my apartment and did his own personal survey already. What he did was to take down EXACT MEASUREMENTS of every pillar, beam, nooks and cranny of my place, and drew them in this sketchbook that he carried.

I don't know exactly what this drawing is called in the Renovation industry, so lets just call it "Initial Measurement Sketch" :D

Measurements in this sketch MUST BE ACCURATE, there are no room for error. :o
IMG_20171014_161323.jpg.02b7a813a9015dd715537d8dbdeba0be.jpg

With the "Initial Measurement Sketch" done, he then meets me and Jason for further discussions on the design I wanted, including laminates to use, what sort of drawers, etc. He will then use the earlier "Initial Measurement Sketch" as a reference to RE-DRAW ANOTHER DRAWING of the cabinets, fittings and any carpentry that will be done.

Again, I don't know exactly what this 2nd re-draw is officially called in the Renovation industry, so lets just call it "Carpentry Design Sketch" :D

Apparently the 3D Drawings made by ID way back previously isn't just for showing to Home Owner. It is also used as a visual guide for the Carpenter to gauge the type of Carpentry design that is required of him.

This "Carpentry Design Sketch" is the sketch that once I approve, I will sign off on it, and he will send it to his workshop for fabrication, so every measurements and spacings again, MUST BE ACCURATE. :wacko:
IMG_20171014_171230.jpg.55f4f10c7e816b9aab0a82972ceed729.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Below will be a series of images of my Kitchen, Bedroom and Bathroom containing first,
the "Initial Measurement Sketch", and secondly, the "Carpentry Design Sketch" to let you have a look how it went:

Kitchen1-I.jpg.82d32b28d044238b03400bb21b7decbe.jpg
Kitchen1-C.jpg.a8aeeed2230d93d044c6e389ad4d151c.jpg

---------------------------------------------------
Kitchen2-I.jpg.d81f0c6d4897b478ef37112fbb902f55.jpg
Kitchen2-C.jpg.a9a3876562b0b2dbe434837be2a67484.jpg
Bedroom-I.jpg.74d46d443f720750ec5aae016b3a7fd6.jpg
Bedroom-C.jpg.a9cd2c916405411bd10fc94c5a45a259.jpg
Bathroom-I.jpg.8f766893cdab6c0e32596c58b90a1cee.jpg
Bathroom-C.jpg.57dacf2610114c65d5475ed4781abfd3.jpg

Wasn't that fascinating? :D
There's more!

Did you notice in the "Carpentry Design Sketches", there are horizontal or vertical lines drawn using Highlighters? These are actually the direction of the Wood Grain that Laminates are supposed to go! Ok maybe that sounds abit cryptic here, let me explain it more clearly. :huh:

-----------------------------------------------

So let me show you once again, the laminates i've chosen way back:
Do you notice that Laminates 0909WB, 8848NT, 5489NT have a Wood Grain design on them compared to 0949G and 0909 which are just plain design?

These wood grains are what I'm talking about. How the laminates are pasted on my Carpentry, depend on whether I want them to align Horizontally or Vertically, and it actually will have a significant look depending on what I choose! :o

(Well of course instead of me deciding, I let Jason and Ah Mun decide how best for Wood Grain to be shown, since they're more experienced in this.) :D

Fascinating right?
I never knew Carpentry Design need to be so detailed until Wood Grain direction also need to be indicated properly! :lol:

laminates.jpg.94cbde463ac28e70be6fff65460723e3.jpg

Needless to say, because the meeting was so involved and painstakingly detailed,
it took a very very long time. We started the meeting at 4pm and only ended close to 8pm. (CLOSE TO 4 HOURS!! :wacko:)

My apartment is only a small little 2 room. I can't even begin to imagine how much time it would take for Carpentry design for larger sized (3 rooms and above) or for Apartments or Landed Properties with more complex Carpentry Designs....Wooo!! :wacko:

This meeting really lets me appreciate the amount of WORK and SWEAT being poured into Renovation that most of us never appreciates. :D
--------------------------------------------------------

Oh yes, in addition to Kitchen, Bedroom and Bathroom Carpentry being worked on,
I also took the opportunity to enter into discussions with the Carpenter to get an even lower price on that DBBox Door in my Living Room.

Remember it was initially quoted as high as a Heart Attack Inducing $750, then lowered slightly to $650? I managed to get it even lower to $350 now which is...much much more acceptable. *breathes sigh of relief* :lol: Jason was also trying to psycho the Carpenter give me a better price lah. Ok Jason I forgive you. For now.:lol:

But this means, i'm going to have to reject Rufus58's ID friend's quote who had agreed to help me. :( (She quoted me $450) Nevertheless, whether I choose Rufus58's ID friend or not to do my DB Box or Pole Wardrobe system, I will still credit her as a Special Thanks once this blog comes to its conclusion.

OMG Rufus58, please tell Yvonne i'm so sorry!! :(

--------------------------------------------------------
And so thats the meeting I had with my Carpenter. Interesting right?
Once again, thanks for reading, and I hope to see you in my next entry! :yeah:

Click Here for the Next Blog Entry:
5th week after Key Collection. Painting, Delivery of Lightings, Bathroom and Kitchen Fittings

Edited by ryanyth

wow didn't know carpentry works are so tedious process.

Do u kind sharing the carpenter contacts as I am looking for direct carpentry work for my reno. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, spikeling said:

wow didn't know carpentry works are so tedious process.

Do u kind sharing the carpenter contacts as I am looking for direct carpentry work for my reno. Thanks!

Hi, sorry i don't have his direct contact.
I can provide you with Jason's contact if you want, i'm not sure if his Carpenter can freelance.
Or even better I'll give you Yvonne's contact, she is Rufus's friend. (if Rufus allow me to give her number of course lol) :D

Edited by ryanyth

New Entry: Blog Entry Date: 20th October 2017 Friday
Click Here to Access.

Updates: 5th week after Key Collection

Yet another mostly Prep week.
Painting for my Apartment completed.
Delivery of all my Lightings, Kitchen and Bathroom Fittings.