Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hello, I have purchase a piece of land of 2700 sqf so I am looking to rebuild it to my own liking. Heard a lot of nightmare about contractors. Any recommendation for Architect or builders?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

2700sqf is quite a big land size. Semi-d?

to rebuild, you definitely need an architect to sign off whether it's directly or through the builder

Yeah is semi D. Very old house so wanna craft my own space requirement. I am quite a sucker for facade. Hope some good recommendation on architect/builders. 800k enough?

how much built up area are you looking at? current average construction prices is about $300 psf and this excludes professional fees and submission fees. so if you are intending to have a built up area of > 3000sqf, you would be looking at a budget of 1M thereabouts.

Some forum members (myself included) have actually been discussing this on a similar thread: Builders Vs Architects.

Please jump in on it and share your thoughts there together so we can all consolidate our experiences and benefit others, especially for the newcomers to this renovation world.

We've all already started and even completed on our our individual journeys and what an amazing adventure it's been for all of us.   

On 26/07/2017 at 9:22 AM, Xyberace said:

Hello, I have purchase a piece of land of 2700 sqf so I am looking to rebuild it to my own liking. Heard a lot of nightmare about contractors. Any recommendation for Architect or builders?

bro, exchange contacts? i jus started my rebuild with a architect. builders haven find. see we can save cost tgt?

On 7/26/2017 at 9:22 AM, Xyberace said:

On 8/1/2017 at 4:29 PM, confucius87 said:

Edited by cymon

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Xyberace said:

Thank for the wonderful help. Have no lead where to start.... hahaha. Taking my own sweet time read and read. 

go and look for an architect or builder. there's documents to be purchased before the new house can be designed. Things like sewage interpretation plan, drainage interpretation plan, road line plan can be purchased by yourself but you still need someone who is familiar or qualified to interpret the plans and the descriptions.

There's also the topography survey which needs to be done to verify your land's boundaries and make sure there's no encroachment. Normally the topography surveyor will rely on the cadestral plan which can also be purchased. but if you had completed the house purchase and the land is transferred to your name, the cadestral plan can be downloaded from SLA for free. Then there's also the soil investigation which needs to be done for your land as well. The topography surveyor and soil investigation normally will be arranged by the architect or your builder (if you choose not to deal with an architect). Once you have finalized your house design, it needs to be signed off by an architect and approved by URA before works can start.

so as you can see, the first thing you should do is to look for an architect or builder to guide you through the process.

On 8/9/2017 at 12:22 AM, snoozee said:

go and look for an architect or builder. there's documents to be purchased before the new house can be designed. Things like sewage interpretation plan, drainage interpretation plan, road line plan can be purchased by yourself but you still need someone who is familiar or qualified to interpret the plans and the descriptions.

There's also the topography survey which needs to be done to verify your land's boundaries and make sure there's no encroachment. Normally the topography surveyor will rely on the cadestral plan which can also be purchased. but if you had completed the house purchase and the land is transferred to your name, the cadestral plan can be downloaded from SLA for free. Then there's also the soil investigation which needs to be done for your land as well. The topography surveyor and soil investigation normally will be arranged by the architect or your builder (if you choose not to deal with an architect). Once you have finalized your house design, it needs to be signed off by an architect and approved by URA before works can start.

so as you can see, the first thing you should do is to look for an architect or builder to guide you through the process.

2 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Under what condition are we required to do soil test?

If you are building new structure in an A&A or reconstruction, it would be better to do soil test just to know the soil condition. It doesn’t cost much to do but at least you will be assured that the design of the foundation of the new structure will not sink under the load

Xyberace,

The following are some possible scenario:

Assume your frontage to be 10 metres & your property is a semi D. Probable estimated built in 2997.567 sq ft (2 storey with an attic - 2.5 storey)

However some location allow building up to 3 storey with an attic, then this will be estimated 3986.528 sq ft

The above 2 scenario's area can possibly be increase by adding basement (Maximum additional area of 2099.812 sq ft). But due to added requirements by authorities, Cost for basement can be pretty steep (needs separate geo-technical professional engineer, shoring works, temporary works, etc)

If location can be provide I can help to advice on possible owner's budget.