Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
summerela

Drill Wall

Hi, I am trying to learn to install shelf and is there any website that have a guide abt the type of drill to purchase and way of using it.

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi, I am trying to learn to install shelf and is there any website that have a guide abt the type of drill to purchase and way of using it.

Thanks.

buy those "impact drills" (with hammer function), drill bits buy those 'masonary drill bits" the tip is somewhat flat and chrome in color (not those black ones)... oh btw if u are drilling into walls do get those better bits (eg. B & D) else after a few drillings, ur bit will be blunt, waste $$...

can go to any DiY or hardware shops..

Buy a 10mm impact hammer drill, Borch or Black and Decker, ard $80. do not get those cheap $40 kind with no name!.

Buy a 5.5mm masonary drill bit, or get a set. Buy B&W.

Get some plastic wall plugs (Ask for same size for drill bits)

Buy Screws (Ideally stainless steel ones,)

Buy hammer and screwdriver. Hammer is to dot punch (with the drill bit) the wall so that when drilling, the bit dun run all over the wall.

Buy a 10mm impact hammer drill, Borch or Black and Decker, ard $80. do not get those cheap $40 kind with no name!.

Buy a 5.5mm masonary drill bit, or get a set. Buy B&W.

Get some plastic wall plugs (Ask for same size for drill bits)

Buy Screws (Ideally stainless steel ones,)

Buy hammer and screwdriver. Hammer is to dot punch (with the drill bit) the wall so that when drilling, the bit dun run all over the wall.

sound simple enuff, will pop down to handyfix this weekend.

Thanks

sound simple enuff, will pop down to handyfix this weekend.

Thanks

Some useful tip that I use all the time:

1) get someone to hold the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner near your drilling hole to prevent dusting your house with fine white plaster/cement.

2) Don't drill behind a wall where you think there is a electric wire/water pipe running underneath the plaster (especially private homes). Common sense will tell you not to drill anywhere in the wall above a wall plug or electric socket.

3) Don't drill at night otherwise your neighbours will be up in arms.

Some useful tip that I use all the time:

1) get someone to hold the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner near your drilling hole to prevent dusting your house with fine white plaster/cement.

2) Don't drill behind a wall where you think there is a electric wire/water pipe running underneath the plaster (especially private homes). Common sense will tell you not to drill anywhere in the wall above a wall plug or electric socket.

3) Don't drill at night otherwise your neighbours will be up in arms.

hi topspin! hehe i do the vacuum cleaner thing too! :sport-smiley-004: really helpful in reducing dust!! but real noisy. vacuum cleaner + drill on at the same time.. can go deaf:P i had to stuff tissue into my ears to tone down the noise.

hi topspin! hehe i do the vacuum cleaner thing too! :yamseng: really helpful in reducing dust!! but real noisy. vacuum cleaner + drill on at the same time.. can go deaf:P i had to stuff tissue into my ears to tone down the noise.

A more 'troublesome' but quieter way is to use an unwanted cloth.

1) Wet cloth and squeeze it dry so that it is slightly moist

2) Positioning the drill bit properly

3) Get someone else to wrap moist cloth AROUND drill bit on the wall. Ensure that there is some space between cloth and drill bit else you'll be in trouble when you drill.

4) Proceed with drilling. Debris and cement will be gathered on the moist cloth. Once there is too much for the cloth to handle, rinse and repeat step 1-4

Edited by pencil

A more 'troublesome' but quieter way is to use an unwanted cloth.

1) Wet cloth and squeeze it dry so that it is slightly moist

2) Positioning the drill bit properly

3) Get someone else to wrap moist cloth AROUND drill bit on the wall. Ensure that there is some space between cloth and drill bit else you'll be in trouble when you drill.

4) Proceed with drilling. Debris and cement will be gathered on the moist cloth. Once there is too much for the cloth to handle, rinse and repeat step 1-4

Erm..even simpler..just tape an envelope below the hole to be drilled....

I have a problem, with drilling walls. need some advise

I was drilling my concrete wall and when it reaches a depth of abt 3cm, the drill bit refuses to move in further. no matter how much i drill, the depth still the same.

Anyone encountered a similar problem? how to solve? I'm using a hammer drill btw

That is probably the max depth that your drill can drill to. It should be written in the manual or on the packaging itself.

Any deeper than that one must get a higher powered drill.

I was drilling my concrete wall and when it reaches a depth of abt 3cm, the drill bit refuses to move in further. no matter how much i drill, the depth still the same.

Anyone encountered a similar problem? how to solve? I'm using a hammer drill btw

One of the reason could be it hit a hard rock/stone. Try hammering it with a strong steel nail (those big ones) and try to drill again. Usually should not be the case with hammer drill but no harm trying.

Err.. could be a rebar, or it could be electrical steel conduit. Masonary drillbit will not cut into steel.

Alternatively.. if u living in those super high rise building (like those 40+ storey buildings), where the concrete is those high strength concrete.. maybe u only manage to get through the screed layer but can't get into the high strength concrete. I would not force my way through.