Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

Would like to hear your expert opinions on outdoor decking. Composite wood vs timber flooring for outdoor patio and side yard. Strong afternoon sun. 

Any company to recommend for outdoor decking that you have personally engaged that gives good service and great workmanship.

thanks in advance. 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

either one is fine but know that if there’s direct sun the lifespan is around a decade or so

My builder did it for me, you can google charis and ask for a quote. Just know that building costs have gone up a lot now 

if you’re getting Chengai make sure it’s not young wood. 

I've been told even Chengal wood will warp. It seems like composite wood is the only one that will not warp but people tell me it feels hotter to walk on under the sun compared to real wood. But what i wonder is if they can last after a few years. Anyone has any experience? Read the experience of a fellow forumer here:

Composite wood like panel will warp too. Look around at some mall/sports hub  roof garden access, even parks that has use composite to fabricate a bench/long chair. They deteriorate quite quickly. 

either leave it as bare cement screed or just tile it up with wood patterned tiles. easier to maintain compared to having decking and also less headache on materials warpping over time

you might want to check this out, i'm thinking about this for some outdoor use case as well... considering this for louvres 

http://www.mmftimberhub.com/work_detail.php?id=12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OWEkUMW9tU

On 7/16/2021 at 11:00 AM, snoozee said:

either leave it as bare cement screed or just tile it up with wood patterned tiles. easier to maintain compared to having decking and also less headache on materials warpping over time

The wood patterned tiles is a good idea, I use it in the backyard. The catch is how hot they get, but they will last a very long time.

For the covered areas, having wood under my feet feels great, but you always need to understand there are replacement costs. It may last longer when it's out of the sun, but it's still subject to wear and tear.. 

the look, touch and feel of wood is very different, its definitely not replaceable by wooden looking tiles.

my previous resale unit, the owner left me with some really good quality wood decking on my balcony, after 10 years of rain and scorching sun, it still looks amazing. too bad i didnt had the chance to ask him what material and where he got it.

my only worry for any wood in outdoor is termite