Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tingshen

Compensation Due To Delay In Delivery

Hi all,

My renovation is delayed for at least 2 months, and the worse thing was, some of the carpentry(including main door and features) and lightings accessories were damaged during installation/due to improper installation.

Just wondering how do you guys calculate the compensation amount? The conservancy fee? Rubbish collection? and what else? Do you think we shall also clock in the time and effort wasted at our side(eg rental incurred while waiting for handover)? How do you measure them by $$$?

Any suggestion?

Edited by tingshen

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

guess first thing you'll have to refer to the contract

if there's a clause somewhere that say they are not responsible for any delay then :fire:

there should be something regarding the compensation amount for delay

also, they should pay for everything they've damaged and make good those not well-done

if you want, you can try to claim everything from them but whether they pay or not is another thing

would you really go to court to claim?

First of all, did they mention when they will finish their reno? Also u got give them a deadline?

Then count from the dealine till now what things u have done for the house and also the money u spend.

My renovation is delayed for at least 2 months, and the worse thing was, some of the carpentry(including main door and features) and lightings accessories were damaged during installation/due to improper installation.

All the capentry how badly damage is it? As they be able to solve it? If serious damage, make them redo a new one. Not worth to cover it.

For lightings, they break it they pay for it.

Just wondering how do you guys calculate the compensation amount? The conservancy fee? Rubbish collection? and what else? Do you think we shall also clock in the time and effort wasted at our side(eg rental incurred while waiting for handover)? How do you measure them by $$$?

Conservancy fees quite hard to say. It depends on hows ur comversation with them.

Rubbish collection are to be done by them not u.

It will be good u discuss with them.

aiyo, small amount only, the claimable $$$ also can't cover the court fee.

Just a verbal thingy lah, i dun want to press them too much also, at least must wait until they fix up everything then I see if I want to bring out this thing

aiyo, small amount only, the claimable $$$ also can't cover the court fee.

Just a verbal thingy lah, i dun want to press them too much also, at least must wait until they fix up everything then I see if I want to bring out this thing

if its too little..just go to CASE..no point goin to small claim tribunal cos usually they might counter sue back

Nowadays I don't think contractor would ever commit to a handover deadline unless its a fully-detailed project. The reason is simple: There are just too many "unforeseen circumstances" when details are not properly finalised.

In commercial cases where the deadline is determined, there are also leeways for unforeseen circumstances, but they define clearly how long certain works are to be completed.

Thus, its actually very very difficult to get the contractor to agree to pay you any compensation unless you can prove that they had GROSSLY and UNNECESSARILY delayed the works. Eg the contractor took two weeks to lay the floor tiles.

Things like 'unacceptable workmanship' and 'improper installation' resulting in delays are very subjective, because everyone's quality standards is different. They can always say to them this is good enough liao, but since you want to change it then of course will be delay lor.

TS, same situation like yours, even worse, got item lost during work. I dun think my id will pay $$ to compensate for us cos they will only think of their bottomline and their pocket.

i think I give up the idea already. furthermore we had paid more than enough and waiting for them to refund the extra $$$ we paid.

nevertheless, I think they are trying their very best to make sure things are okay. It's lucky that we are not rushing to move in so soon. Imagine, A total of 6 months of renovation since CNY......like building a palace like that lol!

I do not want to give them hard time, I think as long as you tell them nicely, and press them a bit to rectify the problems 1 by 1, they will make sure everything would be delivered as promised, besides the dateline sigh....