Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MaCe

Money $$$ Not $$$ Enough Blog

I think air-con is not about producing cool air to a room, but it's about removing heat from a room. So if your room is facing the afternoon sun, the air-con will need more energy to make the room cool, thus take more time ba... :unsure:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Weather HOT HOT = blast the aircon = $$$

Weather COLD COLD = fire up the water HEATER = $$$

either way we are screwed... :lol:

how i wish got LA type of weather.....always 17-20+ C..

Hi Bro Mace, want to ask you hor, my MBR toilet heater is not up yet, we have the heater & the box(If you know what I meant) but no wire to link up both together. Can we do it ourselves or must get an electrician to do it?

Edited by storeberry

Hi Bro Mace, want to ask you hor, my MBR toilet heater is not up yet, we have the heater & the box(If you know what I meant) but no wire to link up both together. Can we do it ourselves or must get an electrician to do it?

better get a electrician - i believe you both are still very young, many more years to live... :lol:

One thing i keep wanting to say - but aint nice on other pple's blog.

Why spend $50-$60k to engage a Interior Designer only to find out that 99% of all those new houses in your block looks MORE or LESS same as yours? :dunno:

feature walls(tv console) - when 99% of your neighbours all have this - what/how feature is this feature wall?

string curtains - as above, unless you hang G-strings in a row :lol:

wall decals - when it starts to peel off by itself, you will know "HOW" special it is.

pebbles/sand - when it comes to cleaning HA! very very special indeed. not applicable to those who can afford maids.

Stuffs meant for hotels/restaurants

false ceiling virtually EVERYwhere - from livingroom to bedrooms to toilets/kitchens.

99% of hdb flat have low ceiling except for some units(top most flr) - why make a low ceiling even more lower? :dunno: lower ceiling is HOT/warm.

99% of kitchen and toilets have moisture = things starts to get ugly real soon unless appropriete measures are taken(ventilator).

30x-50x downlights - WOW, most pple wont switch all of them on after moving in - especially after receiving their first PUB bill. 50 pieces of lets say energy saving 5w bulbs = 250 watts, very energy saving indeed.

"salt onto the wounds" = Downlights with built in ballast

- another WOW, when you need to replace the ballast.

To top it up - 50k-60k are reno loans = super WOW!!! hopes everyone keep their job for the years to come.

If you are paying CASH 50-60k for it = geez , you must be rich!!!

All the above are my personal opinions - your money, not my money, how you spend your money none of my/our biz but everyone definitely have the right to laugh.

Phew, I don't have any of these in my newly renovated flat :P

From this forum, I get to know that a lot of people go for feature wall, but didn't know that pebbles/sand is the in thing too.

People still go for string curtains meh? I thou that was only popular in the 70s or 80s?

I didn't even do plastering to the walls. Ho Bee's painter asked me a few times why I didn't want to do that, I told him I am ok to see brick lines on the walls ;)

Phew, I don't have any of these in my newly renovated flat :P

Dont you think it's just plain LOGIC that if you were to spend 50-60k engaging a ID - you want your house to look SPECIAL and different from everyone else's house? :notti:

I only spent $10k to get Ho Bee do the basic things, so I guess my house looks the same as everyone else liao.

Frankly speaking, how special & diff can a house be? One still has a TV, sofa, dinning set, kitchen cabinet, fridge, w/m, bed, wardrobe etc, how diff can one go? If one wants his/her house to look special & diff, turn it into a cave with none of the above items listed. I am very sure it will be the one & only one in Sgp :lol:

I only spent $10k to get Ho Bee do the basic things, so I guess my house looks the same as everyone else liao.

Frankly speaking, how special & diff can a house be? One still has a TV, sofa, dinning set, kitchen cabinet, fridge, w/m, bed, wardrobe etc, how diff can one go? If one wants his/her house to look special & diff, turn it into a cave with none of the above items listed. I am very sure it will be the one & only one in Sgp :lol:

Oh what u do that can spent 10k I also one a simple hse with all the necessarities.

One thing i keep wanting to say - but aint nice on other pple's blog.

Why spend $50-$60k to engage a Interior Designer only to find out that 99% of all those new houses in your block looks MORE or LESS same as yours? :dunno:

feature walls(tv console) - when 99% of your neighbours all have this - what/how feature is this feature wall?

string curtains - as above, unless you hang G-strings in a row :lol:

wall decals - when it starts to peel off by itself, you will know "HOW" special it is.

pebbles/sand - when it comes to cleaning HA! very very special indeed. not applicable to those who can afford maids.

Stuffs meant for hotels/restaurants

false ceiling virtually EVERYwhere - from livingroom to bedrooms to toilets/kitchens.

99% of hdb flat have low ceiling except for some units(top most flr) - why make a low ceiling even more lower? :dunno: lower ceiling is HOT/warm.

99% of kitchen and toilets have moisture = things starts to get ugly real soon unless appropriete measures are taken(ventilator).

30x-50x downlights - WOW, most pple wont switch all of them on after moving in - especially after receiving their first PUB bill. 50 pieces of lets say energy saving 5w bulbs = 250 watts, very energy saving indeed.

"salt onto the wounds" = Downlights with built in ballast

- another WOW, when you need to replace the ballast.

To top it up - 50k-60k are reno loans = super WOW!!! hopes everyone keep their job for the years to come.

If you are paying CASH 50-60k for it = geez , you must be rich!!!

All the above are my personal opinions - your money, not my money, how you spend your money none of my/our biz but everyone definitely have the right to laugh.

hmm Mace... took the words out of my mouth!

I think a lot of the so-called ID's in Singapore have a lot to answer for. They offer themes and cut and paste schemes for their customers to choose from, no creativity at all. Many of the ID firms I spoke to, and I spoke to a LOT kept asking me for a theme, rather than trying to understand our personality, lifestyle and needs... what will i do with a modern contemporary theme for example, if I have to spend the rest of the next few years caring for the black laminate kitchen cupboards??

Sometimes, people forget function over form, cove lighting may look nice, but are a **** to clean (can you imagine how much dust settles inside those??)

It's great to do up a house that's worthy of a magazine feature, but one must remember that the stylist comes once, maintaining the house is one's responsibility... and from the on-set, a easy to maintain house is 100X better than a fashionably stylish house!

Or is it coz I'm so much older that i know think this way?? notice i avoided calling you "kor" coz i think i'm a little (or a lot) older than you :D

Hello Patsy...maybe I fall under your age group! Maybe youngster go for the in-thing for their house renovation. For me and for my age, I prefer to keep it very simple (as you can see my blog), nothing special at all. No features wall, no L box, no false ceiling. Just a nice and spacious space to move around. At the end of the day, you wont feel 'sian' when you look at your house. Maybe I am those interest die easily. That is why 'theme' is out for me. I afraid I might feel 'sian' by looking at the same features wall year after year.