Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hello Snowy89,

Sorry for the hiatus in replies...have been busy lately. Thanks so much for sharing the links to the french cabinets. I've gotten all my furniture settled, except my bed from a friend's contact who sells furniture of such themes. They were going on 50% discount over 2 tea parties this year and we have bought them and requested for the lady owner to store for us. They are my friend's contact so very nice of them to help keep our bulky furniture up to a year! The only thing is when I went into TB, I realise that the furniture are far too cheap. If we haven't gotten most of our furniture at 50% discount, I think I would really feel super cheated! :deal:

Aye....sorry, I tried to post pictures of my furniture to show u but I can't seems to upload them *sua-gu*. Can teach me how to post?? The other links sharing abt posting media makes me more confused. Haha...

Anyway, thanks for sharing your lights& fan-hunting journey into JB!! I'm excited and intending to travel there next month...Can't wait!!! Still waiting for HDB letter to collect keys...no news yet..almost a month since our HLE is approved. How long did you wait for HDB notification for key collection after HLE approval? :sport-smiley-018:

The Vento Fino version 2 fan looks cute! How much did u pay for it vs SG price? I'm thinking of getting fans and light together in one as we don't intend to make false ceilings...so such combi is the best...The design for such are quite limited. Esp I wanted KDK fans but they dun come with much variety of bright lightings... I have a few JB contacts from friends so still undecided which shop to go to. If the one you've recommended is good, I'll probably head there directly to buy! Oh ya, do you happen to have contacts for curtains at JB too? I know making curtains there can help save a bit more too esp ours would be heavy fabric sort for the countrystyle theme. :notti:

Hey! U know what? I happen to stay on the lower floors too...sadly. No more units given our Q no. Oh! We might be facing each other's unit!!! LOL. I wanted to do away with window grills but my hubb disagree with the same concern as yours - security reasons. But I'm thinking window grills (esp they're BLACK frames and grills) would ruin our theme....if they're white is best..but black.....and now with grills....Super headache :no: But I know I still I have to install grills no matter what...We managed to find a contact from Ubi industrial area...direct contact can save us quite a bit. Can share with u with if you keen :)

And for the craftstone design tiles - we almost got them from Hafary for our brickwall behind the sofa!! Haha...But we are scrapping away the idea...maybe 3D wallpaper will do the trick! Hee...I wish I cld start reno works soon, before CNY. But I guess impossible so gotta wait till March to start. We didn't opt for HDB titles and doors so I guess lesser rectification to be done *keeping fingers cross*

Did you check for pipe chockages and water sippages at the corner of your ceilings? My friends advise us to do so becoz sippages at ceiling corners could be becoz the HDB contractors did not do the waterproofing of the main walls properly. Do check since it has been raining often during this period.

Will start a T-blog once I can! Very useful for all to know...with exchanging of tips and contacts! :good:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi CountryGlow,

Regarding the posting of image, it requires you to have an account like e.g. in photobucket where you upload the image. It is free to sign up. After you have uploaded the picture, then you look for the direct link to the picture, usually on the side once you click on the image you have uploaded. You then copy the link and paste it onto the icon with a 'image of a tree' then you will see your picture being uploaded here. :lol:

I did not wait very long for the keys after my HLE got approved. I got a date to collect my keys within the week. This is because I suspect that my keys were already ready and it got delayed with the approval of HLE. Mainly because I just changed my job and they needed some verifications.

As for the defects, I think they no longer throw cement down the drain after numerous complaints. I did check if there were chokage and water seepage too. A consolation for you is that there are actually not much defects. I am just too anal and picky for my own good. Other people may have already thought that their house is perfect as it is. Hehe.

The vento fino 2 fan costs approximately S$500+ in Tampoi but it costs S$1388 in Singapore. Absolutely crazy because it is more than double!! I think Tampoi has a super wide range of fans and lightings. I did see fans with lights but generally reviews of KDK fans with lights are that the light alone is not bright enough. I guess Tampoi is a good choice because it is very near the Malaysia customs. I went there because I called down to enquire if they had my vento fino 2 fan there and they say have!! So it was my number one choice. The man had his reservations about going there because it might be troublesome to arrange for transport since we both don't own a car. But it has been a hassle free experience because I requested for transport back to my house doorstep from the shop. It can be arranged. :)

I also want white frame windows for my service yard but you know what.. HDB only allows the same type of window panel used for the living room and bedrooms. Meaning ours have to be black. The pang giap guy said that we can do it in white frames, but risk getting complained by neighbours to HDB lor. We stay so low so it will be very obvious if our windows are different. So I just move on and resigned to fate that we are fine with black window frames. We consoled ourselves by thinking that at least we gotten the slim version so it won't be so much of an eyesore. Haha! Pang giap is also a pte ltd company so I am actually going direct for my windows.. Already taken my window measurements as well. Below is the link to the slim grilles I am getting for more info.

http://www.panggiap88.com.sg/slimgrilles.html

Just got news from my ID that she will be purchasing tiles tomorrow and tiling works will start on Wednesday. Hope to see some progress this weekend. :P

• Like 1

Some before pictures:

livingroom_zpsbc157c62.jpg

Living room view, standing at the dining area to take this photo. Looks miserably small.

kitchen_zpsd923e84f.jpg

Kitchen. I am kinda glad that HDB came with dark grey tiles for the kitchen flooring. Looks more classy and can hide dirt really well.

commonbathroom_zpsce654505.jpg

Common toilet also has the same type of floor tiles.

MBRbathroom_zpsd774ff97.jpg

HDB is really generous to give such a big slab of mosiac tiles for the MBR, but let me wave goodbye to this because I opted for overlay for the MBR, Sometimes I wish that this big slab is in the common bathroom instead.

Next post will be on the tiling process !!!!

wow your place looks done up really nice!

My flat used to be in Punggol Topaz but had to give it up cos ugh… well.

So how's the progress now for your home? Wld love to see pics of it! : )

Hello,

I am back to update on my house again! Did not do up any blog post previously because I have been too busy juggling between work, the house and some other commitments. Sooo I will update a long one today!!

Work has commenced for the past week and the man seemed quite happy with the progress. Tiling for the MBR toilet overlay and also my bathroom kerbs and kitchen/service yard base has been done. Hollow brick wall has been fabricated, with my craftstone also tiled at the TV console area.

newkitchenentrance_zps5967e035.jpg

Kitchen wall hacked, new half wall erected. Actually by this time they have already smoothened the entire wall and made good but I didn't take a new photo. :D

kitchenkerb_zps05506b1f.jpg

Similarly, my fridge base and cabinet base has been tiled. All these in a couple of days.

tvconsole_zps60be810f.jpg

My craftstone at the TV console has also been tiled. **** happy with the workmanship. I would say the tilers are neat at their work. The placement of the craftstones are good as well, with minimal gaps. I think there will still be touch ups to be done so I am not being too anal to this point.

MBRwalltile_zps09f004e0.jpg

.. And my MBR bathroom feature wall overlay~ The other side is just grey matt tiles that I have shown in an earlier post as well. I don't feel that my MBR bathroom has become smaller because of the dark colours. In fact I love the look! Feels super happy looking at the tiles in here. The effect is good and we didn't even have to top up for it. *Easy on the pocket* :P

WIWentrance_zpsc5f23788.jpg

Last but not least, the hole in the wall has been created!! I can finally walk through to the WIW from my MBR directly :dancingqueen:

Today when we went down, the false ceiling guy has started their work!! They brought along the laser beam to make sure that the false ceiling is a straight line across throughout. Talk about professionalism. I know I am in good hands already. Will head down again tomorrow to see the progress and also, more importantly, check out my taobao items!!!!

Finally they have arrived, a total of 20 parcels~~ :sport-smiley-018:

tb_zps8905754b.jpg

I know right... I feel so happy when the delivery men came. Hopefully nothing breaks. *cross fingers really hard*

Shall sleep now and wake up early to go down and open all of these! :sport-smiley-003:

Today I am disclosing my taobao loots !! Mad happy, it is like christmas came early. Hahaha. :P

I have finally unwrapped my stuffs from taobao !!!! Took a good 2 to 3 hours to unwrap all of it and re-label it for my ID convenience. Here are some of the preview of the items that I have taken photos of.

taobaoloots_zpsd4f5b880.jpg

Top left: Diamond stand alone basin for common bathroom.

Delighted to have this !!!! Packaging is **** solid. The man had a hard time dismantling the crate with a possibility of injuries due to the amount of nails from the wood crate. This sink is really very heavy though. We have to slowly move inch by inch with 2 people. So far there doesn't seem to have any cracks. Hopefully there is no hairline cracks.

Top center: Rose basin for master bed room.

My attention grabbing basin. I love this so much, with a price tag of $90 (tap included), this is super cheap. I went to heritage to look look see see, one fountain tap like this already costs $200 !! !! My ID seems impressed with this sink, she says Singapore cannot find one. Came in one piece, extremely gorgeous. :wub::wub::wub:

Top right: LED downlight

Very slim, looks alright. Must see effect first after it is installed.

Middle left: WIW LED light

Was given crystals to fill in for the holes. Also KIV review first, cos must see effect after it is installed.

Middle center: Bedroom 1 light

Just a simple one, but with lines that looks like a geographical map of a mountain when mapped out. I know my imagination is killing it. Just hoping that the room will be brightly lit since this is the only light that I am going to install in the room, similar to the WIW room. Haha.

Middle right: Toilet light

Black with some floral details for my black toilet. I realised it is actually difficult to find black lights with some form of designs that ain't too complicated but complicated. I don't know if any of you know what I am talking about. Lol, but I just want to say it was hard sourcing for something like this and I must like it as well. :sport-smiley-004:

Bottom left: MBR light

Workmanship so-so, but I doubt it would be super bright. Need to source our own bulbs for this.

Bottom center: Common bathroom mirror

This is the only item that fell below expectations. Somehow, in the taobao picture, it appeared super blue. But when it arrived, it is more of like black, silver and bronze colour. However, when I tried to capture photos of it, under certain lighting it also looked blue. Also, this is the only item that we spotted some parts that are broken.

cracks2_zpsde647417.jpg

cracks_zps60618b99.jpg

Minor cracks, also well camouflaged due to the design of the mirror. So don't know I should be consoled that I chose this design. I think even though it is not very blue, I will still place it in the common bathroom. :unsure:

Lastly, the bottom right picture features my common bathroom lighting. Looks pretty. Hopefully functionality is good as well! Can't wait for all my lightings to be installed !!!!!!:paint:

I didn't take photos of ALL the purchases because we were so shagged opening up the parcels on the dusty floor. Already no mood, and sweaty. Polly will do another round of reviews after they have been fixed at their designated locations.

Carpentry details

Today I will talk about going through my carpentry details with my ID. So far I am extremely pleased with my ID because she has been very responsive and responsible, she is always a wadsapp/phone call away when we need her. Communication is the most important tool between your ID and you as this will reduce the need of miscommunication and the amount of rectifications required during your renovation!!

It was a such a long and tedious process, took about 7-8 hours to complete. But boy, we were so happy after everything because I can finally see our dream house slowly manifesting. I like how systematic R&R is because everything is printed in black and white, including laminate choices, and what paint for which rooms. This will greatly reduce any mistakes. Or if still got mistakes, then my ID will have to absorb it already cos the mistake is hers. Haa. Just kidding, my ID is one of the most meticulous ID I have ever seen, even warning us of what we may not foresee, some shortcomings before the reno starts so that we will not kick up a fuss for some of things that we may not foresee.

She is also very flexible for allowing us to make changes, until we are happy at no cost, with no grumbling at her side. She met up with us a second time yesterday to confirm the carpentry after much discussion with her carpenter and some can do, or cannot do before we proceed to send the carpentry to the factory to manufacture.

tvconsole_zps452a56e9.jpg

MBR carpentry: We did a vanity area for the MBR, which is a storage mirror. The mirror has since been changed, as it is supposed to stretch all the way to the WC. Also, the height of the vanity has been increased to 880mm instead of the 660mm. This is due to the man's and my height as we are quite tall and having such a low vanity would mean backache for us. Haha Thanks to a tip off from previous renotalkers' t-blog that some of their ID placed the vanity too low, like for a child's height. So remember: Cater your carpentry to you and your partners' height!

TV feature wall + console: Major changes to this!! We have shifted the left border of the TV feature wall to align with TV console but still maintaining the P shape. I find the P shape has more unqiueness to it, and also the fact that it coincides with the man's initials. We love it. Also, this would mean that the TV feature wall is smaller now, and the ID will have to build more craftstone bricks on the left, while demolishing some. But still she never showed any sign of unhappiness! Yay to more craftstone bricks!

foyer_zpsa7ac2327.jpg

Dining table settee: I would have a storage seattee for this, but slanted at an angle for more leg room space as this would be more comfy for me and my guests. A bronze tinted mirror will be placed on top of the leather cushioned backing. Hopefully this will make my living room seem bigger than it is. :thumbs up:

Shoe cabinet: My big shoe cabinet. A big shoe cabinet is a must for woman who loves shoes. The middle slot would be a place for us to wear our shoes and have a last check before we get out of the house. Build this in hopes that this can fit all my shoes in for the future. Bigger is always better. Hehe. :notti:

kitchenlayout_zps19323358.jpg

Kitchen layout: As usual, some layout of my kitchen! Some changes that I have made is that under the stove I will be getting two big drawers instead of encasement doors. Is it true that many have to top up for this? I guess a good point for my ID is that what she can give and throw in, she would and this makes us kind of happy.

Actually I have some more carpentry details but shall just talk about the next main one since this is churning into such a long post!!

WIW_zps391771e8.jpg

My WIW!!! I am going to have suspended sliding tracks for my sliding doors, although this one must top up but abit only, so we went ahead with it. Because I wanted to have top hung tracks for the sliding doors, but she says that top hung maybe more costly, so make like this also like suspended and quite streamless also. I asked my ID why she never suggested to us the first time, she says that cos only condos use it mostly. I guess less wear and tear for the tracks as compared to the tradtional ones. Traditional ones will tend to trap dust and won't be smooth after a while. Which is why we went for this despite the increase in cost.

painting_zps25db6d16.jpg

Paint selected for the whole house.

Easywash series for the living room and rooms.

Medifresh series for bathroom to reduce mould and bacteria.

I chose alot of colours that compliments the room, also at no additional cost. It seems that my ID did not limit the amount of colours I can use.. I seen invoices that limits to 5 colours? I already using 9 colours although it wouldn't be seen as alot. :bleah:

Now that the list has been sent for fabrication, I can't wait for them to be up~!!:wub:

Till next time..

Hi renotalkers,

I haven't been updating consistently because we have been so busy. I did not really have time to go down to see the progress but I would say it is at a healthy pace for now.

Works that were done:

Hacking

Tiling

Laying of aircon pipes

Boxing up works

Curtain plummet

L-box

Ceiling works

Plastering

Painting

Window grilles

There were some touch ups required, for the plastering but I guess I am generally a perfectionist and I am just nitpicking at certain faults - such as the wall is not exactly very smooth yet, so I asked my ID to rectify it. One thing I like is that she does not say things like, "It is like that one." or some other BS reason to make me accept it. She says she saw it already and agree to rectify it. Simple and straight. Actually maybe she knows even if she says all those things to me also not workable. I will not accept it regardless. :notti:

Anyways, I am abit upset with all the recess areas given by HDB. Maybe some people appreciate the extra space, but I find it extremely ugly to have a sunken in area, especially in the living room and kitchen. Anyone shares the same view?

So I have the excess areas all boxed up by partition board.

kitchen_zpsaf4e5d96.jpg

Actually never foresee this inside the floor plan.. So my ID decided to throw in this FOC for me. Maybe she also finds it very ugly. Save abit of my moolah so that I can be able to spend it on greater things. :rofl:

The un-tiled portion has also already been tiled. That is the portion where my sink will be.

Shall reveal the next exciting bit of my reno progress... Something that makes me real happy about.

bombshelterventilation_zpsae55f879.jpg

Tadah!! My pretty, non-protruding bomb shelter ventilation hole. I know this is illegal lah, I kept the bits of screws and plate and placed it aside for the next owner. That is, if they want to revert back to the original HDB bomb shelter ventilation. :yeah:

Purchasing Lights from TaoBao

Essentially, Taobao is a site where various vendors sell their goods. The catch is, everything is in Mandarin, and you need to find a agent to assist with the purchase and with the shipment.

Lights in Singapore are expensive, no doubt. A stroll along Balestier had me calculated that the lights would set me back by 3k plus. So I decided to take plunge and buy ALL my lightings from Taobao. I guess essentially the lightings have to be made somewhere, where else better than in China? Since everything is made in China nowadays. I reckoned I save more than 60% for buying from Taobao.

We were so excited on the day of the light installation. It was also my off day so I was there first before the man joined me shortly after he ended work. Finally, my house has lights. Major moment please, for all those who have done or are doing their reno, because this means we can visit the house at night without having to fiddle around in the dark.

The electrician came on time and promptly started work. So I shall do a review on the lights now. Not a full one because we have decided to change away the dining light and I also forgot to take photo of the track light along the corridor. But other than these two lightings, the rest of the lights in the house will be reviewed in this post! :D

downlight_zpse12c037b.jpg

Downlight link $18

I got them in white light, not the warm white one because that will be reserved for the cove lights. Very bright but not too intense to the point it is glaring. Overall very pleased with this buy.

kitchenlight_zps96d91146.jpg

Kitchen light link $33

I like how the light turn out to be and the picture is true to the light. Brightness level is also good.

bedroom3light_zps4ac65cc9.jpg

Small Bedroom light link $57

This light turned out better than expected! Very bright and able to laminate the whole room. Also comes with a remote control with 3 different lighting choices. A very good buy.

WIWlight_zps4548aa0a.jpg

WIW light link $34

The outlook of this light is quite nice but the only downside is that it is not very bright. A little disappointed with this purchase but my electrician says can remove the LED strips and replace it by T5s. Hopefully it will brighten up the room since this is the only source of lighting in the room.

commonbathroomlight_zpsd0f69ff5.jpg

Common bathroom light link $19

This light is alright when it is switched off but when it is switched on, I super duper love it!! Click on the link to see how it looks like when it is being switched on. It matches my mosaic tiles so much. Not exactly very bright, but with the LED strip that I installed, it is still doing pretty okay.

MBRbathroomlight_zps082f1d3a.jpg

MBR bathroom light link $34

This light gels well with the MBR theme. However, it is also not very bright. I am thinking of replacing it with a higher wattage T5 as well. Wish me luck!

MBRlight_zps78e30672.jpg

MBR light link $21

Good buy, comes in very intricate design. I guess I will be happy lying down on the bed and staring at this light. Not very bright but still alright since this is not the only light in the room. I have installed downlights and also my beloved chandelier that will be situated at the vanity area.

MBRchandelier_zps27af87f3.jpg

MBR Chandelier $41

Gorgeous, very gorgeous, extremely gorgeous!!!! Super happy with this plus it is so cheap. My electrician is very pro lor, I really don’t know how they are able to fix up all the lightings without looking at the manual. He helped me fixed up the main body, all except the hanging of the crystals. We were so grateful for this and spent the night hanging all the crystals. Now I know why chandelier costs so much, because the installation is so tedious! But I think the effort is very worth it plus it is so cheap so this is my best buy out of everything here.