Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lin_stapler

Stapler's Abode

Thot I'd share some progress of my renovation here. Actually I'm already halfway through renovation, but I'll just start from the very beginning.

My block was chosen under the en bloc scheme, and so after 5years... jeng jeng jeng... on 12 March 2007, I'm officially a proud home owner of a new flat which is just across the street from my current place. I'll be moving with my parents and a niece (pri 2).

Once we got the house keys, its time to source for contractors to spruce up the place. I thought I'd just do a simple renovation since I'm on a tight budget and just do the basic like kitchen cabinet, simple cornice and floorings. That should be it... or so I thot :jawdrop:

It took about a week of sourcing around and few extensive and frustrating discussions with some reno companies before I finally settled on one. Its a small company which is highly recommended by my eldest bro's friendsssss (a few of them it seems). I'm quite comfortable with the "consultant" and feel that I can work with him on my needs.

And so this is how it all started.

The fate of my new abode is entrusted to Fifth Interior Concepts... jeng jeng jeng...

19th March, I had an onsite appointment with the consultant as he needed to get a "feel" of my new place kui kui kui :dunno: .

This is how my place looks like in its raw state... with compliments from HDB :sport-smiley-004:

A view to a kill (its a 40 storey flat... but bcos I've been living on ground floor all my lives... partly due to the fact that I hated lifts ehehehe... we chose the 2nd floor)

view.jpg

Living room

living.jpg

Common bathroom

combath.jpg

Masterbedroom bath

msbath.jpg

And posing by the masterbedroom window is my cowboy dad ekekekeke...

mswin-1.jpg

Hhhmmm... I think I missed out the kitchen and other pics. But ah well... I'll get it posted later hee :D .

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

A ha... here's a view of my front door. I love the design on the door and gates. I have to take a pic a bit further away to avoid stalkers :deal:

door-1.jpg

... and here's our front garden

garden.jpg

ok just kidding there ehehhee...

So to continue the journey...

I was given a comfortable quote by FIC and on the 24 March, is THE day. Jeng jeng jeng... the day my consultant brought me out SHOPPING!:jawdrop:! woohoo....

We choose homogenous tiles (forgot lah the name of the co), went to Sim Siang Choon to buy bathroom accessories bcos he can get discount for me :D check prices of light fans from IMM and later went to his friend's shop in Jalan Besar to get lights and the same fans that I saw from IMM... only so so so much cheaper.

I ended up buying a jacuzzi from SSC (so much for my tight budget)

Few days later, went down to FIC showroom in Tristar Building to choose materials for laminate floorings (Kronotex) for bedrooms, color for walls, material for kitchen cabinet and countertop and etc etc.

Renovation supposedly start on 2 April, but since I'm getting HDB to do cement screed for my bedrooms (HDB told me they will do it within 3-4 weeks :dunno: ), the contractor have to work slooooowly and start with simple renovation while waiting for the screed. They started with relaying some wiring, laying the homogenous tiles, setting up the jacuzzi :sport-smiley-004:

jacu%7a%7ai.jpg

and putting up base tiles for my L-shape kitchen cabinet.

sinkb4.jpg

Edited by lin_stapler

Welcome to renotalk.. nice to see another reno in progress.. post more picture for us..Where is your new place?

And now we move on to chapter three ehehehe...

Was sharing to my mom about the progress when she reminded me of the window grill. I like the window as it is (stubborn me) but eventually gave in to mom's demand because I don't want to rot in **** for being disobedient to my parent :dribble:

Told FIC that I wanted to add on window grill. He quoted aluminium but I insist on wrought iron. I WANT WROUGHT IRON!:jawdrop: I demanded hee :dribble: Its expensive says he... but if I wanted something, I must have it... says I :dunno::paint: So he added wrought iron window grills to my "simple" renovation list. I choose a design similar to my gate. I love leaves... says I heee :sport-smiley-004:

Wait a minute... I wanted to change something again. I told him I must have solid surface top for my kitchen cabinet. Thats more $$$ says he... I want I WANT ... I insist. My consultant... ah well lets name him Mr W A is getting worried. But he obliged anyway.

While discussing some stuff at Mr W A showroom, I fell in love with some stuff in his showroom. Ended up, ordering the following stuff from him too.

- Fisher & Paykel Fridge

- Fisher & Paykel Washer

- Fisher & Paykel Dryer

- Delizia cooker

- Delizia cooker hood

- Ariston oven

- Ariston sink & tap

Mr W A is also kind enough to bring me to Courts and some big superstore to check on the prices of the above to ensure that I get better deal if I purchese the items through him :D

But I still bought some stuff on my own (yeah so much for being resourceful). Bought a bench and stool set from Picket and Rail to put in my kitchen. It is way too small for dining set but I need an area where we can sit and eat in the kitchen hee :dribble:

Also got myself a Samsung 32" lcd from Alexandra Village. Its the latest model and its so much cheaper getting electronic stuff from there compared to big stores (do you know that :deal: ) I save more than S$300 *hint hint*

My place is at Tanglin Halt hee... so fast you reply to my post. I'm just getting the "high" of sharing my story....hee hee.

My bathroom not so big... but big enough to squeeze in my ego har har.

Jeng jeng jeng... so we finally come to the present day lah (cut story short).

My reno not simple anymore lah. I add this and that... last week just confirmed I wanted built-in wardrobe for my masterbedroom, a low shelf under the bay window that can also be used to relax... will custom-made a pretty cushion to put on the low shelf. Later once ready will post picture so that ppl can get better ideas. Hope it turns out well. Also need another built-in wardrobe for father's room because of the pillar that makes it impossible for me to get ready ones.

I also ended up with an additional custom built pull-out bed for my niece. I wanted a sturdy white ones but can't fit it anywhere. Its either the wrong color or looks so flimsy like my sexy night gown... hah! Just kidding...

Alamak... forgot to update lah. HDB managed to complete the screed in 2 weeks time (that's a week ago) because I keep harrassing them :jawdrop: I also get gas heater from PUB... but quite unsightly leh in my kitchen. Need to do some shelving from entrance side to hide it a bit lah.

heater.jpg

Since now we are sort of more updated with my renovation (phewwwww)... yesterday my window grill is up. Woooaahhhh love it man. They even do it up in both bathrooms woohoo.

This one in the masterbedroom (the bay window)

mswingrill.jpg

The cute one in the masterbathroom... mine mine mine....

msbathgrill.jpg

This is the fan with lights (and remote seeehhh) that I installed for all rooms

fan2.jpg

Progress on the kitchen cabinet

sink.jpg

So tadaaaa... next week, they'll work on the laminate floorings for bedrooms, start on the wardrobe if possible, put up timber skirting (ooops forgot to mention this earlier on :dunno: ), tampered glass to the masterbath shower area and also feature wall for my lcd (eeerrr... ok I added some more it seems :D

So my simple renovation dun go as simple already lor ehehehe. But I'm enjoying the progress so far. No hick ups yet and Mr W A is very helpful and patient with me. He is always ready to help me with my request.

I think he pity me lah because I have to handle all the reno by myself hee hee. Right now he is helping me to source for cushions for the bay window and curtain rods for all rooms :sport-smiley-004:

Hi Neighbor! My unit is 308 from Blk91. Great to see that you have already started reno! And after seeing your photos, you finally solve my problems!!

You see previously, in my own T-blog --> http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7781

I was asking if anyone here knows if its possible to level the bay area so that at least it is flat as some folks from the SGBrides forum said that it cannot be level with cement as it will add on unneccessary weight to the whole building if every unit with bay window is doing that due to some safety issue.

But contractor actually said can use plaster (the kind of material to make false ceiling which is much more lighter than cement in weight) to level up the slope instead.

Thus may I check with u, did u use plaster or cement to level up your bay window and how much did your ID quote u? And btw, which is your unit?

Hi Neighbor! My unit is 308 from Blk91. Great to see that you have already started reno! And after seeing your photos, you finally solve my problems!!

You see previously, in my own T-blog --> http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7781

I was asking if anyone here knows if its possible to level the bay area so that at least it is flat as some folks from the SGBrides forum said that it cannot be level with cement as it will add on unneccessary weight to the whole building if every unit with bay window is doing that due to some safety issue.

But contractor actually said can use plaster (the kind of material to make false ceiling which is much more lighter than cement in weight) to level up the slope instead.

Thus may I check with u, did u use plaster or cement to level up your bay window and how much did your ID quote u? And btw, which is your unit?

:sport-smiley-004: Helloooo neighbour.

Actually the best place to check on the bay window or hacking if required is your contractor. They should know better. Also if HDB won't allow you to do anything to your flat... early early they will already issue a warning right !! Anyway lots of people with move into their flats with lots and loads of stuff which already will add on to some weight or another. Get what I mean...

I think my ID uses cement... but will let you know if its otherwise. Quote wise... if you are referring to whole house renovation, I guess its really difficult to state because everybody does their place differently. Just a matter of taste. Mine started with basic then I keep adding more and more... but at the same time must keep track not to overflow my budget.

I'm a sucker for natural, woody thingy and is a big fan of Bali, my favorite holiday destination. So you can guess what's my "feel" of the new place will likely transform to be (hopefully lah).

Good luck with your renovation neighbour, maybe will peep by your place sometime eh... ker ker ker... :dancingqueen:

Edited by lin_stapler

Lucky you...noticed that your toilets and kitchen come with rather nice tiles. :)

Thanks :D Initially I was worried that I'd get a pink, blue or green tiles... but fortunately the tiles and design is something very simple, light and earthy. Suits the concept that I have in mind to a tee.

Honestly I love the tiles and fixtures that comes with the bathrooms the moment we got the keys cos its really something that I can live with :D

Maybe I'm just a really easy to please and contented person :notti:

cheers = =

On no, you got really nice stuff...some of the blogs I've seen had funny coloured W.Cs and basins and really queer colours for toilet tiles.

Yesterday I drop by my new place and my Kronotex laminate flooring for all 3 bedrooms are up :)

I'm getting one of my kitchen cabinet door changed because one white door between 2 brown doors look too odd to my liking.

Tomorrow my wall feature will be up and Saturday my tv will be delivered... woohoo. !!

Anyway, I had another upsetting experience ever since I started with my reno. Not with my current contractor but with some bad service encountered along the way.

The first one is with one big renovation company which I shall not mention their name. I went to their huge showroom with my brother. Service has been very cold to a point that when I went in alone initially (my bro went to the gents) a staff greet me but never looked up from his computer and just ignored me. Only later on when my bro came, he asked whether we would like to look around the showroom. Hhhmm maybe we look like we are looking for McDonalds. Later on he joined us and proposed a promotion reno package. The package started at 12K but after going through our floorplan, it shoots up to 17K har har :(

Ah well... the most disturbing part came when we are about to leave. I think this must be worst than haggling. This guy has the cheek to tell me that when I first walked in he thought I am Philippino :D Told him blankly whether he don't serve Philippino customer :notti: Shortly we just left... obviously we won't engage them.

Yesterday, I had another of such encounter. This time its with a curtain shop :notti: .

Such experience is very upsetting and disturbing. So I have at many times being mistaken as Philippino or 'not local', but what right have some people to judge that just because a person don't dress well, don't look like a 'typical' customer, that they are not financially stable. No wonder Singapore has such bad record for service.

Ah well... no love lost. I guess I'll just take my business elsewhere then... :)

Hey stapler, your house looks quite nice even though it's empty now...at least your toilet tiles are nice and you have a bathtub!:dancingqueen::dancingqueen:

Don't be bothered with this kind of ppl. Dog eyes see ppl low. Too bad they lost your biz. Serves them right. :notti:

:bow: Thanks... I guess I am lucky to get nice simple tiles from HDB.

Yesterday, the foundation for my built in wardrobes in master and 3rd bedroom is in :thumbs up: That's another last minute addition from me. Because I've never seen (or heard) about my contractor before, I purposely let him do other reno to other parts of my house first. Since I'm satisfied with the work and services so far... I let him do my wardrobe and feature wall for my tv. All these are expected to be completed by next week.

After see see look look at the men setting up the wardrobe, I went home to take a nap. Hot maaa yesterday... dun feel like doing anything.

Halfway through zz , my contractor called to ask me to come down to Picket&Rail warehouse in Mandai Road. He was there to make payment for an island unit for me. Apparently on Friday, I took half day to wait for delivery of my island unit from P&R but when its delivered... its the wrong color haiz...

But the delivery guy is very nice and just took it back without arguing and tell me that they will arrange for delivery another day :unsure: Since I can't take leave on this coming wednesday, my contractor is willing to wait at my place to accept the delivery of some appliances that will be delivered on the same day.

So back to yesterday, I went to P&R to look at some display furnitures that they are clearing. Ended up with some purchase... 3 seater sofa + 2 seater + oak coffee table all for a cool price of $879 :good:

3 seater original price is $1299... got it for $350, 2 seater from $999 got it for $250 and coffee table (not under clearance) got it for $279. Thanks to my ever resourceful contractor for helping me bargain and for the fact that his friend is working there hah.

But forgot to take pictures lah and I request that delivery to be in mid June only after I settled in :D

Great great... some bad services along the way... but also get excellent service from my contractor and Picket&Rail :bow::dribble:

Edited by lin_stapler