Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yokine9a

A Sad Incident In Toa Payoh Lor 1

When I was in my under-renovating flat last weekend, one of the antie neighbour told me an Indian construction worker fell from the roof of a 20-storey HDB flat not far away from our block.

It was a Saturday morning. Apparently that young guy was doing some work on the roof without putting any safety belt. The antie told me he died instantly with his head straight to the ground zz

I have been flapping yesterday and today's newspapers but cannot find any writeup on this incident. Why? Because this is a small case or that guy is a foreign worker? A life is still a life irregardless of his skin colour.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
When I was in my under-renovating flat last weekend, one of the antie neighbour told me an Indian construction worker fell from the roof of a 20-storey HDB flat not far away from our block.

It was a Saturday morning. Apparently that young guy was doing some work on the roof without putting any safety belt. The antie told me he died instantly with his head straight to the ground zz

I have been flapping yesterday and today's newspapers but cannot find any writeup on this incident. Why? Because this is a small case or that guy is a foreign worker? A life is still a life irregardless of his skin colour.

I can tell you that this has nothing to do with the nationality or race of the deceased.

Every week, there are bound to be a few death from such incidents (be it suicide or accidents) but newspaper don't always report on them.

Why? Because nobody reports to the newspaper or the relevant agencies don't want to broadcast such incidents or their family members don't wish to broadcast them in the media.

Respect the relevant agencies, deceased and most importantly their family members.

Been in the police force during my NS; there are deaths and accidents occurring everyday. If the media were to report everything, then your straits times or today would be hundreds of pages.

Definitely not a case of discrimination...

media only interested to publish NEWS that are of good advertising purpose, crowd drawing.

like some naked pics of politician/movie stars + all the super KAYPOH news apart from real world news.

sorry to say this, unless that certain dead is somebody or maybe died in some "NEW horrifying method", they just wont want to waste their column space.

and yes, every minutes somebody dies.

Hi, thanks for all the comments given.

Actually I was looking at this incident from a slightly diff angle. If it was a case of a guy crashed his BMW and died due to drink driving or speeding, I probably wouldn't raise my eyebrown.

Some of the construction companies here do not treat their foreign workers that well enough, and these workers most are not well educated enough to know their rights and safety precautions. Even if they know, they probably won't dare to demand from the supervisor. Such incident are avoidable.

Well, I was thinking that with media coverage for public awareness and knowledge, those irresponsible companies could be punished by the respective bodies.

That's all I have to say on this topic.

Working in a dangerous industry myself, I can only say one thing. Despite numerous attempts at educating the workers, there is only so much the company and supervisor can do. A lot of times, due to neglience of the person himself, thinking that safety belts are troublesome, they do not put it on. They know that the company safety regulations state otherwise but they still do it.

Of course, we can put the blame on the supervisor for lack of supervisory skills. Or lack of top management intervention in safety management.

We all have to look at it case by case basis.

One thing for sure, although the newspaper do not report it, the MOM are already hot on their heels finding out the root cause of the incident and taking actions against errant companies.

Hi, thanks for all the comments given.

Actually I was looking at this incident from a slightly diff angle. If it was a case of a guy crashed his BMW and died due to drink driving or speeding, I probably wouldn't raise my eyebrown.

Some of the construction companies here do not treat their foreign workers that well enough, and these workers most are not well educated enough to know their rights and safety precautions. Even if they know, they probably won't dare to demand from the supervisor. Such incident are avoidable.

Well, I was thinking that with media coverage for public awareness and knowledge, those irresponsible companies could be punished by the respective bodies.

That's all I have to say on this topic.

I think your intention is good, but perhaps abit wrongly placed here...? I duno... :unsure:

While it is useful if the media could highlight the plight of the foreign workers and wake up the idea of the employers, they should not leverage a particular case and shine a torchlight into it. Statistics should be gathered, safety policies should be torn apart for investigation, govt policies as well, etc - do a report on the industry as a whole, but not to highlight a particular case because that would be too micro and personal.

Imagine what would happen if the media publishes this case; the employer would scramble to protect its reputation, MOM would have to give a statement on its investigation, and the dead worker's every move would be reviewed and scrutinised. Thinking further, what happens, if its found to be the fault of the worker? How would the family feel, when their loved one is dead but people are digging up his actions, trying to see if he had done anything wrong? And what will happen to the other workers if the company become fearful of repercussions and start to micro-manage them? They would be unhappy too.

And the worst case scenerio: When a company goes down, the workers go down together as well, especially the blue-collared ones. It does not do the workers any good to wack the company, because the losses incurred by the company will come trickling down to them, affecting their salaries and careers eventually.

Indeed, the media is a powerful tool to use, but its a double-edged sword; use it in the wrong way and you will cut yourself too.

zirhk3355, well said!! :unsure:

while i sympathise with the construction worker, the cause of his death is unknown... hopefully the construction company will learn from this and emphasize to its workers on safety. and of coz, may the deceased R.I.P...

i remember when my home installed a new split aircon, the worker had to climb out of the window, stand outside, and then his colleague passed a very big and heavy compressor to him. he was standing outside the window on a small platform, holding on to a compressor and then fix it to the latch (or whatever you call that). I was so stressed and worried that what if he slip, or if the compressor drop and land on someone ? goodness, i felt so bad that he had to risk his life, to fix an aircon for me. haiz.

Dear Zirhk: Don't think it will even run into a hundred, much less hundreds of pages daily.. anyway your point is noted! :deal:

Been in the police force during my NS; there are deaths and accidents occurring everyday. If the media were to report everything, then your straits times or today would be hundreds of pages.

ya, you are correct. my ex-colleague's sis was a reporter and she said that unless someone called in, they will go and report. She said, "Reporter are humans leh.. not super power hero where they will know what happen at where and go to report". after a while of thinking, i think quite logic also.

media only interested to publish NEWS that are of good advertising purpose, crowd drawing.

like some naked pics of politician/movie stars + all the super KAYPOH news apart from real world news.

sorry to say this, unless that certain dead is somebody or maybe died in some "NEW horrifying method", they just wont want to waste their column space.

and yes, every minutes somebody dies.

ya, eg. adisen case was over blown. there are plenty of ppl who do this or even more kinky stuffs where its not reported just becoz there are not stars / politicians.

Working in a dangerous industry myself, I can only say one thing. Despite numerous attempts at educating the workers, there is only so much the company and supervisor can do. A lot of times, due to neglience of the person himself, thinking that safety belts are troublesome, they do not put it on. They know that the company safety regulations state otherwise but they still do it.

Of course, we can put the blame on the supervisor for lack of supervisory skills. Or lack of top management intervention in safety management.

We all have to look at it case by case basis.

One thing for sure, although the newspaper do not report it, the MOM are already hot on their heels finding out the root cause of the incident and taking actions against errant companies.

yes, the workers will think "wah lau, so troublesome, walk over the edge and fix that thing will do, why hook on safety belt, helmet and safety harness? can do within 5minutes but to do all these will take 30minutes to complete the job"

there are toolbox meetings, safety meetings, risk assessments, etc. and workers are constantly educated about safety and sent to courses but there are still accidents happening.

im from constrn industry and we have regulations to follow for employing of foreign workers. we cannot let accident happen as we have at least 350 foreign workers for 1 project alone. and the only accident we have was the indian guy go little india after work and kana knock by motorbike.

but its common to see accident happening at constrn sites, only major or minor type only.

yes, the workers will think "wah lau, so troublesome, walk over the edge and fix that thing will do, why hook on safety belt, helmet and safety harness? can do within 5minutes but to do all these will take 30minutes to complete the job"

there are toolbox meetings, safety meetings, risk assessments, etc. and workers are constantly educated about safety and sent to courses but there are still accidents happening.

im from constrn industry and we have regulations to follow for employing of foreign workers. we cannot let accident happen as we have at least 350 foreign workers for 1 project alone. and the only accident we have was the indian guy go little india after work and kana knock by motorbike.

but its common to see accident happening at constrn sites, only major or minor type only.

Yeah. My project employes more 600 workers and safety is a top priority. So far my projects have not met with any fatality but I witness one myself when I was inspecting my colleagues' project.

Like what you said, they are simply just not safety conscious. My stand to them is simple, even if the job is urgent, do not take safety shortcuts, do all necessary precautions and that everything is in place, if you think it is not safe, DO NOT DO IT!!! Tell your supervisor or escalate all the way up to me to solve the issue.

Daily toolbox meetings, safety meetings, RAs, JHAs, HAZOP, HAZID, SCE whatever are only useful if ppl follow up!! IF not, they are just talk talk or paper exercise.