Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
joper

Hob & Hood - Which Brand Should I Buy?

u noe ar, toking abt the ventilating ducts thingy....it's really strange tat brands do offer chimney hoods n all but then, for hdb flats if u use those, it would be useless or rather, same as slimline hoods since there's no place to 're-vent' the oil n heat?? is it true ar? i mean, if tat's the case, then wat's the point in getting a chimney hood wif 1000m3/h?? :bangwall:

tat's really strange leh....but understand tat if u get from poh joo....rennai shd have pkg which is reasonably priced? honestly, not too sure cos i didn't check out rinnai myself...

btw, anyone getting or alrd got franke hood + hob?? if so, any comments??

haha...as i learn more abt recycling and ducting...does invalid the need for a hood right?

the only pro i can of is its for a 'quick fix' to remove the grease and smoke etc...especially

for those with open kitchen and/or clothes being hung to dry within the kitchen.. :unsure:

YNWA,

El Nino

so means we can only get recycling models not ventaliting model right (not sure if i say before

alridi wah haha. :P btw, how often to ppl clean e hood ah?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
so means we can only get recycling models not ventaliting model right (not sure if i say before

alridi wah haha. :P btw, how often to ppl clean e hood ah?

that should be right...if you are an HDB owner from what the sales ppl told me

Err...this depends on your usage or characteristics la...

think depends on the type of filter your hood has, which im not sure how it works...

waiting for our kitchen experts to give the POV on this too..haha :unsure:

heavy usage = once a month clean out the filter?

occasional usage = once every 3 to 4 months

Clean freaks = every few days after cooking

Lazy bums = clean? that word dun exist in my vocab... :sport-smiley-004:

however, i must honestly attest to this personal experience....apparently my parents bought this Techno chimney hood at 700m3/h n since they always do daily chinese cooking, each time or rather every few days or sometimes even, each day, we realise tat drips of oil will occur n drop from the hood onto the stove....

seriously i tik this issue is not really abt cleaning cos they clean it so frequently....i tik it's also not abt the brand of chimney tat u get but of cos diff brands have diff kinds of technology for extraction blah blah....it could seriously be the issue with the power of extraction...esp if u r going to anticipate cooking rather frequently like say 3 or 4 times a wk....

however, i must honestly attest to this personal experience....apparently my parents bought this Techno chimney hood at 700m3/h n since they always do daily chinese cooking, each time or rather every few days or sometimes even, each day, we realise tat drips of oil will occur n drop from the hood onto the stove....

seriously i tik this issue is not really abt cleaning cos they clean it so frequently....i tik it's also not abt the brand of chimney tat u get but of cos diff brands have diff kinds of technology for extraction blah blah....it could seriously be the issue with the power of extraction...esp if u r going to anticipate cooking rather frequently like say 3 or 4 times a wk....

May be is the charcoal filter ? As most hood come with either 1 or 2 pcs of charcoal filter - it asssist to absorb oil and smell. have to change it 8 - 12 mths or 1 - 2 yrs

KM

May be is the charcoal filter ? As most hood come with either 1 or 2 pcs of charcoal filter - it asssist to absorb oil and smell. have to change it 8 - 12 mths or 1 - 2 yrs

KM

hi,

so there are 3 types of filter eh? charcoal, those metal grille type and small container type?

not sure the terms for the last two...

grille means u gotta clean by soaking and rinsing in water...

container just remove the collected oil...charcoal replace the pieces like once a year...?

does make charcoal filters less of a chore...but end up with this filters, as what graceakaclouds

mentioned, power of extraction is still critical so worth it to pay for the highest extraction capability?

YNWA,

El Nino

hi,

so there are 3 types of filter eh? charcoal, those metal grille type and small container type?

not sure the terms for the last two...

grille means u gotta clean by soaking and rinsing in water...

container just remove the collected oil...charcoal replace the pieces like once a year...?

does make charcoal filters less of a chore...but end up with this filters, as what graceakaclouds

mentioned, power of extraction is still critical so worth it to pay for the highest extraction capability?

YNWA,

El Nino

Hi El Nino ;

If i not wrong theres 2 type , Oil container and charcoal filter type. Those oil type need to remove it and charcoal filter type need to replace . And both comes with either metal or aluminium filter that need to wash or soak in warm water once a week ( depends on how heavy you cook )

As for suction ( Chimney hood is higher 650 - 1200 suction ) ( Slimline is around 500 suction power )

Actually what i feel a hood is just to assist to min. the oil or smoke from going towards the outer part :) Or to protect the upper cabinet as cleaning will be the hood not the cabinet :) Its not 100% that the oil will be extracted .

Cos my home kitchen i brought a chimney hood and sometimes the smell still venture to my living room :) heavy cooking lor hahahaha :)

But at least my upper cabinet is protected cos as time the cabinet may peer off due to moisture - cos i saw one of my client kitchen without a hood but cook often :(

KM

Hi El Nino ;

Cos my home kitchen i brought a chimney hood and sometimes the smell still venture to my living room :) heavy cooking lor hahahaha :)

But at least my upper cabinet is protected cos as time the cabinet may peer off due to moisture - cos i saw one of my client kitchen without a hood but cook often :(

KM

hi,

filter wise either or then...so just aim for hood with better extraction capability within one's budget i guess..

i think the venturing smell is inevitable, unless we go thru the trouble to segregate kitchen from rest of the house..i.e kitchen entrance door? although im not really bothered by lingering smell of belachans, rendangs,

roast chicken etc...yum yum, thats just a reminder that meal time is next! hehe :sport-smiley-018:

i had concerns too on having top cabinets above the hob and beside the hood...just like what u highlighted

rgdg moisture etc..its inevitable over the long run cabinets above could get affected...maybe i do without it or build one thats half height than normal...glass panels are an option but costly...hmmm... :unsure:

YNWA,

El Nino

Hi El Nino ;

If i not wrong theres 2 type , Oil container and charcoal filter type. Those oil type need to remove it and charcoal filter type need to replace . And both comes with either metal or aluminium filter that need to wash or soak in warm water once a week ( depends on how heavy you cook )

As for suction ( Chimney hood is higher 650 - 1200 suction ) ( Slimline is around 500 suction power )

Actually what i feel a hood is just to assist to min. the oil or smoke from going towards the outer part :) Or to protect the upper cabinet as cleaning will be the hood not the cabinet :) Its not 100% that the oil will be extracted .

KM

oh, didn't realise got so many kinds....faintz....then my parents' place definitely is the charcoal filter type where they have aluminium filter where it can be soaked in warm water to ease the oil stains...yucks

KM, can ask ar....is it true tat when u turn on the chimney for cooking, u mustn't turn it off immediately after cooking....until for a few mins where the smell from the cooking is gone?

one more qn, i intend to get a chimney hood but dun wish to put any cupboards or cabinets above the chimney hood or anything (if tat's possible)....would it b ok?

I'm thinking of getting a 2 burner tempered electrolux glass hob. The price is $279 from Harvey Norman, quite cheap compared to the other brands. Heard from the sales person that electrolux is more known for other electrical appliances... But still quite tempted by the price. Any review on electrolux hob? Don't think we will be doing heavy cooking. :)

oh, didn't realise got so many kinds....faintz....then my parents' place definitely is the charcoal filter type where they have aluminium filter where it can be soaked in warm water to ease the oil stains...yucks

KM, can ask ar....is it true tat when u turn on the chimney for cooking, u mustn't turn it off immediately after cooking....until for a few mins where the smell from the cooking is gone?

one more qn, i intend to get a chimney hood but dun wish to put any cupboards or cabinets above the chimney hood or anything (if tat's possible)....would it b ok?

Hi Graceakaclouds ;

Yes is true tat after your cooking , is best not to turn off the hood as not only it will clear the smell and cool down the arae as while cooking the area between the hood and hob is warm :)

+++ Always leave a gap of 650mm to 850mm from the hob to the hood. :)

No pro :) you may install a chimney hood without cabinet beside or on top at all ( Retro design ) as all Chimney hood comes with 2 funnels and the top part can be adjustable. The Funnel will go all the way up to the ceilin :)

Before purchase just tk note of the chimney hood height .

KM

I'm thinking of getting a 2 burner tempered electrolux glass hob. The price is $279 from Harvey Norman, quite cheap compared to the other brands. Heard from the sales person that electrolux is more known for other electrical appliances... But still quite tempted by the price. Any review on electrolux hob? Don't think we will be doing heavy cooking. :)

Hi Coldflamez ;

Electrolux is quite good brand , the model that you looking at is EGG7422S ? Design looks sleek and i just assist my client to purchase too. But the price my client get $250.00 !!!

Only heard some stuff regards customer service reply slow :( but is quite normal compares to others brands or agents :)

And is supplier by itself Electrolux :)

KM

hi,

filter wise either or then...so just aim for hood with better extraction capability within one's budget i guess..

i think the venturing smell is inevitable, unless we go thru the trouble to segregate kitchen from rest of the house..i.e kitchen entrance door? although im not really bothered by lingering smell of belachans, rendangs,

roast chicken etc...yum yum, thats just a reminder that meal time is next! hehe :sport-smiley-018:

i had concerns too on having top cabinets above the hob and beside the hood...just like what u highlighted

rgdg moisture etc..its inevitable over the long run cabinets above could get affected...maybe i do without it or build one thats half height than normal...glass panels are an option but costly...hmmm... :unsure:

YNWA,

El Nino

Hi El Nino ;

Can try to design a glass panel below your upper cabinet :) It may protect the laminted panels :) Your cabinet backsplash mat consider glass too than as its more easiler to clean :) Some ppl put stainless steel sheet but after some time , it tend to have scratches or water marks :(

As for the smell i totally agree on your advise and feedback :)

KM

Elo KM,

u share my thots on having glass panel below the upper cabinet! haha

actually i've mentioned somewhere that im thinking of doing glass on one wall and ss on the other...

glass as backing for sink and food prep area...ss for hob and hood area, beside built in oven...

reason being, worried glass may crack over time from heat if near cooking zone...

glass near sink area can just wipe down, no water marks...ss if near sink area concern with water marks..

oh yah...how do you forsee scratches if its on a wall? should hardly have contact with sharp utensils right?

and if i may share here since i mentioned the above...what are your thots on having granite top at cooking area and Corian/LG solid top on sink area...? and i think you'd have guess by now that i intend to do a galley kitchen yah...would a walkway of 5ft between the 2 sides be sufficient? Many many thanks! :D

YNWA,

El Nino

Hi Coldflamez ;

Electrolux is quite good brand , the model that you looking at is EGG7422S ? Design looks sleek and i just assist my client to purchase too. But the price my client get $250.00 !!!

Only heard some stuff regards customer service reply slow :( but is quite normal compares to others brands or agents :)

And is supplier by itself Electrolux :)

KM

Yup, think that was the model that i saw. Where did you get it at that price?

Do you guys know if there are any concerns about the tempered glass cracking due to the heat? Electrolux only has 1 year warrently as compared to some like Techno that offers lifetime warrently... If the glass cracked then very jialat right? Will have to hunt for a hob with the same size to replace the whole hob.

Yup, think that was the model that i saw. Where did you get it at that price?

Do you guys know if there are any concerns about the tempered glass cracking due to the heat? Electrolux only has 1 year warrently as compared to some like Techno that offers lifetime warrently... If the glass cracked then very jialat right? Will have to hunt for a hob with the same size to replace the whole hob.

Hi Coldflamez;

I got the contact from a friend who also deal with appliances and etc.

As for the tempered glass that crack . So far if it crack the agent will change the glass , dont need to change the whole stove / hob . As for life time warranty , i heard theres term and condition attach to it .

Tempered glass are easily to clean and maintain but just have to take note of a few stuff :)

KM