Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jopp

Digital Door Lock

Hi everyone,

am considering to get digital lock for home....any recommendations pls?

whats the best deal I can get for <$500, any online sales for it plus installation?

Thanks very much.

Samsung or Gateman were the two brands I looked at before choosing the former (SHS-5120) because it has a physical key (when all else fails) besides the pin, and RFID card access.

I would have preferred Gateman if fingerprint recognition were important.

If you need to budget, $150-$600 will be the range depending on installation and warranty requirement, and choice of models/features.

I guess you can start by choosing the brand (if looks and perceived quality are important to you) and then choose the access features ( fingerprint, pin, physical key), and then other features.

Hope that helps.

Edited by atlantis2267

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Fire Sensing Function

-When the atmosphere temperature rises up to some level by a fire, this will unlock the door automatically

Can understand the idea behind this feature. Noone wants to get stuck in a house on fire..where the lock wont open.

But is that safe against some intruder who just heats up the lock with some flame from outside ?

Hi everyone,

whats the best deal I can get for <$500, any online sales for it plus installation?

Thanks very much.

I gotta mine Gateman F10 recently (will upload pic) Loving it :P

It's within your budget ;) including installation

With 1 yr warranty :)

Samsung or Gateman were the two brands I looked at before choosing the former (SHS-5120) because it has a physical key (when all else fails) besides the pin, and RFID card access.

I would have preferred Gateman if fingerprint recognition were important.

If you need to budget, $150-$600 will be the range depending on installation and warranty requirement, and choosing the models.

I guess you can start by choosing the brand (if looks and perceived quality are important to you) and then choose the access features ( fingerprint, pin, physical key), and then other features.

Hope that helps.

Bro,

Thx for the previous lead, I jumped the boat :P:D:D

I gotta mine Gateman F10 recently (will upload pic) Loving it :P

It's within your budget ;) including installation

With 1 yr warranty :)

I think Gateman F10 and F100 has a more 'up market' look to it (compared to Samsung's) :good: .

Bro,

Thx for the previous lead, I jumped the boat :P:D:D

Towards better AND lower cost of living :yamseng: .

Edited by atlantis2267

Can understand the idea behind this feature. Noone wants to get stuck in a house on fire..where the lock wont open.

But is that safe against some intruder who just heats up the lock with some flame from outside ?

This is a good question - which made me go read up on my Samsung-5120 manual.

So, it detects the *internal* temperature and if it is above 55 deg Celsius, it will sound the door alarm for 15 secs before automatically opening the lock.

I won't be able to test for sure how fast an external fire source will raise the sensor (on the internal side) - and I hope the intruder won't get to try; I think it is easier and quieter to use a door wrench.

It runs on battery. Before battery runs out it will give a warning. If really run out, you can use the 9V battery to power the lock or use mechanical key. Thats what the salesman told me.

I confirm this is also how my Samsung-5120 door lock works.

To note: the physical key is not a common feature though, only in some of the models.

I have not used this model (not heard of it till now) - so this is just my feedback as an alternate digital door lock owner.

I use a Samsung-5120 (which also has a physical key but no fingerprint) - and I did look at Gateman's which has fingerprint but no physical key. The Virdi has pin and fingerprint but no RFID card access/

I noticed it is "water-proof" according to the marketing literature - which may be useful for doors exposed to rain showers.

I always wondered if the slider cover is a benefit or not. It is one-more moving-part which I am not very comfortable with (the less moving part, less trouble ? notion). It may help with the aesthetics - if the access mechanism is not glamorous). I was swayed with the sleek clean lines looks of Samsung and Gateman ..... :dunno:

I'm interested in getting a Virdi 430FP. I like it's features of access by fingerprint, passcode and key. Also, the auto sliding cover is cool. The LED backlight keypad helps you to see better at night.

Any one has use this product? :rolleyes:

Product features

1. More Convenient

-Auto Sensing Function

-Auto sliding cover

-Various Access Function

-Network system

-LED Backlight keypad

2. More Secure

-High performance optical fingerprint sensor

-Safe structure against the electric and ESD shock

-Auto unlocking function when it’s on fire

Auto Sensing

-User authentication by only punching a fingerprint without pressing any key

Auto Sliding Open & Close

-The sliding cover opens by one touch and closes automatically after authentication is completed

Various Access Function

-Fingerprint, Password and Emergency key

Fire Sensing Function

-When the atmosphere temperature rises up to some level by a fire, this will unlock the door automatically

Optical Sensor detecting a fake fingerprint

-Sensor can detect a fake fingerprint even precise fake fingerprints using silicon, rubber, etc.

Edited by atlantis2267

This rings a bell ..... I watched a MythBuster show some time back - they were showing how to break into a biometric lock using some simple mold of the finger print if I recall correctly.

I noticed the Gateman's fingerprint is the 'slide your finger over type' -- not sure how to explain - but those you see on laptops with biometric features (those cannot use mold to break in for sure).

Optical Sensor detecting a fake fingerprint

-Sensor can detect a fake fingerprint even precise fake fingerprints using silicon, rubber, etc.

I'm thinking of getting a SHS-5120 but need to install it on a wooden door. Has anyone has any experience installing the mortise part on a wooden door?

any guide or pictures would be great.

How sure these will help

2962604370070216121S425x425Q85.jpg

2834557580070216121S425x425Q85.jpg

2126811660070216121S425x425Q85.jpg

2529918100070216121S425x425Q85.jpg

2573345970070216121S425x425Q85.jpg

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much.

Check my pictures on Gateman F10 Here

I'm thinking of getting a SHS-5120 but need to install it on a wooden door. Has anyone has any experience installing the mortise part on a wooden door?

any guide or pictures would be great.

I have watched the locksmith installed my Samsung SHS-5120; I would say it would be a big challenge to do it yourself (DIY), unless you are a real handyman and with the right tools.

Note that SHS-5120 is a mortise lock - in layman's term the lock mechanism is inside the door (and it could/should replace the existing conventional lock). It wasn't' a simple unscrew-remove-old-unit, screw-in-new-unit -- well at least not in my case. This is as opposed to a rim lock (like NeMeSiS_T's F10), where the lock mechanism is on top of the door (not inside) - see 2nd last picture of his post above. In my opinion, the rim lock type should be easier to DIY than the mortise lock (like SHS-5120). Still, you still need to have some 'boring' tool to make a proper hole for the front/back panel connection.

PS. The above is my "not a handyman" perspective. Your mileage may vary - and I recalled seeing some installation video before (was for Samsung but not sure which model now). Try google.

Edited by atlantis2267

Hey guys, can help to recommend me where you purchase from? I'm looking at this Gateman F100 but the cheapest from Singapore I can find is via this

Gateman F100

I was wondering if this ebay seller reliable in terms of installation and also warranty?

Btw, anyone has other recommendations for something similar to F100 but under $500?