Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sooch

Water Filters

It's nice to know that you can get it at a steep discount. However I believe the cost of the system should not even be 60% of the selling price after shipment to Singapore.

Recently i got to know a person who used to do hylux. The e filters they getodeon factory is a mere fraction of the selling price they were selling the systems here.

Thus I think it's still not really direct but merely a higher discount and cutting out the agent here.

However this system is still an alkaline water wannabe whose main role is the filter rather than to provide Health benefits. A check with the company show they are dealing with all kinds of water systems ( which is why it is based in Malaysia), so I dun think they are focused on health but rather to have a complete water solution for customers.

Just my personal opinion

I was told they were based in Malaysia as labor are cheaper and Malaysia is a bigger market compared to Singapore,almost 90% of the houses there needs water filters, so logical? no?

They are tested with PSB singapore and Sirim malaysia for the quality with certification, so no worries. a normal water alkaline water system is relatively cheap to manufacture. do you know the cost is for per set? I don think any company will fool around with things that goes into the mouth, other than china factories :0

no worries everyone is entitled to their opinion, i am sure u didnt know that wall paper in Malaysia is also almost 50-60% of what are selling here :o

some ppl like to pay extra and some like to pay near to value so different stroke for different ppl...

peace

Edited by tom_kkh

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Tom,

I am not saying that the system is not fit for drinking. Its a given when it comes to clean water from a filter system otherwise why install in the 1st place?

However when it comes to health benefits... thats a whole different ball game. So far C520 not approved nor endorsed by any health authority so far (correct me if I am wrong... but the website i visited last week could have new updates)So the money question is why say "alkaline nano water filter?" I hardly believe its for fun... but to draw customers that it for health.... so I leave it to consumers to think about it.

Anyone now "claims" to be alkaline... but how alkaline is the question. That it the burining question. The testing documents in Singapore does not state the pH of the water. furthermore pH is not the only factor claimed by C520 alkaline energy water system. However the benefits are not validated by any organization. If there is please provide it to us.

I dun know about wall papers... but if you talk about water filter systems prices.... I know the market relatively well based on my friends who are doing the business in the market with factories about the world.

We all know prices from our neighbour is much cheaper as there is more competition and more variety. There are market forces at play.... so comparing Singapore and Malaysia... its not that simple as it is....

I maybe the "wet blanket" however I believe consumers have the right to know the difference and make that informed decision.

Cheers

Edited by gkbt

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of you are using 3M Water Purifier?

Any feedback?

I didn't reckon this product being mentioned here.

Thanks!

Hi Grohe,

The discussion is in page 3.

do feel free to discuss anything here. I will try to be as helpful as possible.

Cheers!

Hi Grohe,

The discussion is in page 3.

do feel free to discuss anything here. I will try to be as helpful as possible.

Cheers!

Hi, do you have any idea on those water filter from Amway? A friend of mine claim that it is better than the market. previously I bought one from best denki by mitsubishi. Ends up got to engage plumber myself and also change the tap. Considering the cost, luckily can return for a voucher to buy something else. By the way, do you know what's the brownish substance that line up within the walls of the hotpot. Is it rust?

Filters from Amyway is generally a filter nothing more nothing less.

What is of concern would be the UV ability of the new Amway water filter. Coming from a laboratory background... I would need 20 - 30 mins to sterilize my working area using UV radiation. The older amway would do this as they have a chamber to UV the water.. However the newer filter system uses uv from the filter to kill bacteria... I am really concerned about this as so far there is no scientific proof that this is possible and weather if it can last the filter lifespan....

End of the day, if you are looking for filteration technology to get filtered water... go for the smallest micron size possible... its not the number of filters that matter but rather the size that matters... the smaller micron size the more you can trap. But please remember to change the filters regularly as bacteria trap in the filters will deposit their waste into the water which we would be taking to cook drink etc. Thats why I do not subscribe to just filtration but also ionizaton as well.

Brownish substance can be a few factors... one of them would be scales... aka lime / calcium. As our water has minerals.. constantly cooking water will cause minerals to be dried at the sides of the wall especially if they are metal surface. Its not rust but rather oxidizaton of the calcium at the side. To remove this use vinegar or citric acid. I used to do that until i realized that constant boiling of water causes it to become worse. Now I use a quick boiler and keep it in a vaccum flask with the inside made of glass to prevent scaling and keeping the quality of the water to be tip top for my kids to drink.

Hope the above helps...

Filters from Amyway is generally a filter nothing more nothing less.

What is of concern would be the UV ability of the new Amway water filter. Coming from a laboratory background... I would need 20 - 30 mins to sterilize my working area using UV radiation. The older amway would do this as they have a chamber to UV the water.. However the newer filter system uses uv from the filter to kill bacteria... I am really concerned about this as so far there is no scientific proof that this is possible and weather if it can last the filter lifespan....

End of the day, if you are looking for filteration technology to get filtered water... go for the smallest micron size possible... its not the number of filters that matter but rather the size that matters... the smaller micron size the more you can trap. But please remember to change the filters regularly as bacteria trap in the filters will deposit their waste into the water which we would be taking to cook drink etc. Thats why I do not subscribe to just filtration but also ionizaton as well.

Brownish substance can be a few factors... one of them would be scales... aka lime / calcium. As our water has minerals.. constantly cooking water will cause minerals to be dried at the sides of the wall especially if they are metal surface. Its not rust but rather oxidizaton of the calcium at the side. To remove this use vinegar or citric acid. I used to do that until i realized that constant boiling of water causes it to become worse. Now I use a quick boiler and keep it in a vaccum flask with the inside made of glass to prevent scaling and keeping the quality of the water to be tip top for my kids to drink.

Hope the above helps...

How long will the UV radiation remains in the water? Safe to drink immediately? What happen if filters not change on time? Will bacteria build up and cause sickness after drinking?

How long will the UV radiation remains in the water? Safe to drink immediately? What happen if filters not change on time? Will bacteria build up and cause sickness after drinking?

Not sure about that. Never measured UV radition in water before. Should be safe if not the ministry will be coming down hard on them.

As for bacteria... like what my professor told us many eons ago. Drinking bateria "poo" is not very nice isnt it?

Basically bacteria which are living creatures will deposit waste into the water you drink. This water will be acidic as it is similar to our waste.

Thus changing the filters regularly is very important. So rather than just filteration.. one should consider another technology called ionization which splits up the water source into alkalinity and acidity, this way baceria waste will not be present in our drinking water. Furthermore alkaline ionized water is beneficial to the body in many aspect which are documented and clinically proven in Japan and Korea to the point that its approved as a medical device by govermental bodies in these 2 countries.

Cheers!

Hi gkbt,

Reading through this thread, I can see that you are quite knowledgeable with regards to alkaline water system.

I am looking at getting an alkaline ionizer system - most likely from Kemp Trading.

I have no doubt in getting a water filter system - the doubt is on the alkaline ionizing part - should I spend much more to get one with ionizing capability to produce antioxidant alkaline water ?

After looking through the following website, I am thinking twice :

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html

Have you come across the above website before ?

Care to share your view on the info presented in the above website ?

The following main points (cut and paste from the above site) are the main ones making me think twice :

1. If you do drink alkaline water, its alkalinity is quickly removed by the highly acidic gastric fluid in the stomach.

2. Uptake of water occurs mainly in the intestine, not in the stomach. But when stomach contents enter the intestine, they are neutralized and made alkaline by the pancreatic secretions — so all the water you drink eventually becomes alkaline anyway.

3. "Ionized"/alkaline water is falsely claimed to be an anti-oxidant. It is actually an oxidizing agent, as can be seen by its ability to decolorize iodine

4. Claims that "ionized" waters are antioxidants are untrue; hypochlorites (present in most such waters) are in fact oxidizing agents.

5. Claims that "water ionizers are approved for use in Japanese hospitals" are misleading: these "approvals" merely attest to the machines' safety — that they will not electrocute you! My understanding is that the Japanese Health Ministry is highly critical of therapeutic claims made for alkaline water.

Thanks.

Edited by kst

Hi Kst,

Its nice to know that you are considering such a system. As a consumer, I would always tell friends to be empowered with information and thus making a better decision.

To answer your points, the website you have indicated is really nothing new. In fact I chance upon it a long while ago and caused me thinking as well. Life science by training, I am privileged to understand the terms and arguments by stephen lower http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html. I would loved to rebutt his comments but someone beat me to it.... haha. Below is the rebuttal on that website chem1.com rebuttal

However to directly answer your points of concern. See below links for simple answers

1. If you do drink alkaline water, its alkalinity is quickly removed by the highly acidic gastric fluid in the stomach.

This is a link to your query. By sang Wang on stomach juices

2. Uptake of water occurs mainly in the intestine, not in the stomach. But when stomach contents enter the intestine, they are neutralized and made alkaline by the pancreatic secretions — so all the water you drink eventually becomes alkaline anyway.

(In the digestive process, acid-alkaline balance is affected by the secretions of the stomach and the pancreas. These secretions are absorbed into the bloodstream and affect the rest of the body. When food is eaten, the stomach secretes hydrochloric acid. In response to this acid, the pancreas secretes bicarbonate which neutralizes the stomach acid so that pancreatic enzymes can work properly. Normally, after eating, there are transient changes in blood pH, known as the acid and alkaline tides, which correspond to the stomach and pancreatic secretions.

Usually the pH of the blood quickly returns to normal. However, if digestive secretions are out of balance, then the whole body can be affected. Some physicians, like Dr. William Philpott, feel that insufficient secretion of pancreatic bicarbonate is a major cause of over-acidity in the body. Other digestive problems that affect the body's pH are diarrhea, which results in a loss of bicarbonate, and vomiting, which results in a loss of acid.

Just as the pH of the bloodstream is kept under tight control, the acid-alkaline environment inside the cells is also regulated so that it remains within narrow bounds. One way that this regulation occurs is by pumps in the cell membrane that cause hydrogen to enter or exit from the cell. Many of these pumps require phosphorus and magnesium to function so that micronutrient nutrition is a factor affecting acid-alkaline balance. Another way that cells regulate the pH inside the cell is by changing the chemical reactions that occur so that more or less hydrogen is produced)

Top taken from www.waterworks4you.com. The gist of the matter is this.. our bodies are balanced naturally, however the diet & lifestyle decisions we make are not balanced. Thus the body can NEVER produce a balance result when you are not providing the necessary materials in the 1st place. Our bodies store alkaline reserves when we are in our younger days where our parents forced us to take a heathy diet. So with this reserve... we keep acidic waste as arms length... as reserves becomes lesser... higher acidity builds up in our bodies creating initial mild acidic conditions.. which will lead to moderate and followed by severe conditions...

3. "Ionized"/alkaline water is falsely claimed to be an anti-oxidant. It is actually an oxidizing agent, as can be seen by its ability to decolorize iodine

On the contrary, antioxidants can be measured under ORP (oxidative reduction potential) the more +ve it is... the more oxidative... and the reverse is true. So do go measure it. :) Iodine is oxidative in nature and will kill organisms it get in contact with.. thats the reason we apply such chemicals to our wounds to kill whatever bacteria that may be infection our cut and wounds...

4. Claims that "ionized" waters are antioxidants are untrue; hypochlorites (present in most such waters) are in fact oxidizing agents.

Hypochlorites are chemical compounds that cause the ionizer to produce extreme high alkalinity and acidity. this is used in hospital settings where high levels of acidity is needed to disinfect equipments or used as treatments on skin conditions. I recently came across a translational text from japan health ministry that they have approved the used of acidic water for the disinfection of endoscopy equipment in 2002.

5. Claims that "water ionizers are approved for use in Japanese hospitals" are misleading: these "approvals" merely attest to the machines' safety — that they will not electrocute you! My understanding is that the Japanese Health Ministry is highly critical of therapeutic claims made for alkaline water.

Again not true... sigh.. I had to search high and low to find this out..... if you are going to kemp trading.. they should have that certificate that indicates the approval for use as medical treatment for gastrointestional tract conditions since 8th Oct 1965

Do note there is always 2 sides of the coin to look at and I am glad you looked at 1 side.. now look at the other and make that informed decision.. I have

The folks at the company you mentioned will provide whatever information you need. That is the experience gained from years marketing this type of systems in Singapore, I would have taken a longer route if not for them.

Cheers!

Edited by gkbt

Hi gkbt , can you advise is Novita water ionizer a decent brand to go with ?

Novita is deemed as a lifestyle makers, they have a large range of products to choose from thus the name. However if you are looking at specific products then one should think about a specialized supplier. Below are a few reasons

1) water ionizers are not similar to everyday electronic items, they need filter change, servicing, maintenance etc thus a specialized supplier will be better to service u

2) novita if I am not wrong do not produce water ionizes themselves but outsource to a 3rd party, knowing where they get their systems will allow you to know the factory's track record. As brands in this industry are not that famously known as compared to the likes of sony, samsung etc. A more through research will be better. This goes for all other players in the industry as well.

3) track records are important. True.... new players have no track records but that does not mean they are not worth the time. However if there are olders players in the market and more established, it ls worth it to visit them to hear them out and compare the difference.

4) pricing of the water ionizers varies alot over here in Singapore. There are discrepancies in the pricing between Singapore and let's say US. It is mostly understood if a product produced in nearby regions such as japan or Korea should cost cheaper in Singapore compared to US by virtue of air miles. However this logic does not stand with some providers here. pls do a more thorough check on the web especially US websites as they are currently the largest market consumers by systems sold.

I hope the above helps.

Cheers

which brand of water filter to buy?

have anyone heard from any delphin's sale person giving free water filter if you bought their delphin vacuum and made payment thru uob credit card

Thanks gkbt. Which brand would be considered as a specialized then? I understand you're a neutral party so I would like to hear from your views. No harm for me to check what you recommended. Thks

Hi gkbt,

Thanks for the information - those did clear most of my doubts :)

Especially the link about our stomach juice.

But that link also bring up a concern - if I understand correctly, as we drink alkaline water, the stomach will produce

more acid in order to maintain the acid level in our stomach. The by product of producing those acid are alkalines which will

go into our blood stream.

The concern here is will that lead to overwork stomach as it need to produce more acid ? I mean we might not see the side effect

now but long term, will it has any side effect ?

I know you might not have the answer, but just a thought.

Thanks.