Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
miki

Species Home Furnishings

We like what we saw at Species. Our concerns are really about the cost of sofa and lighting. We had wanted to justify that we are paying the right prices for the package. So we spent the whole Sat checking out lighting prices and comparing sofa sets at different companies. We cant find similar/identical sofas and lighting lamp comparing to what we like at Species. Besides it is difficult to compare sofa quality. The lighting lamp we like at Species is also rather unique and nice.

In the end, we still prefer the leather sofa set & lighting lamp at Species. So we went back to Species at The Plaza FM and this time, we spoke with Sam again to understand/clarify the quality of each item we are getting. Sam gave us a thorough explaination and he also gave us a few good tips on our home decor. We are quite pleased with the overall service provided by Sam and actually ended up buying more items. Our items will be delivered end of July. Hopefully we get the quality as promise and which we had paid in FULL already.

Hi Klene,

I have actually selected the furniture at Species yesterday but I forget to bring my invoice so cant confirm the selection and arrange for delivery. I would say their Mavis Sofa seem the best buy in the showroom and I have actually post my furniture in the Reno T-Blog. In their Species showroom, they have around 5-7 different design for each type of furniture, not really alot but overall design is good. The only thing is their price is also good, I would say some of the furniture are worth that price but some are not, take a look of what i have chosen in the Reno T-Blog.

For me, I wouldnt choose to paid full as it is a very risky move if the quality of the delivered items are not up to expectation. Hope you will get good quality delivery. Today I will go down again to finalise the selection, hope what i have choose is available in the package.

Regards

Desmond

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I have a deposit with Species which I cannot get a refund as my girlfriend has changed her mind about the sofa we ordered and they do not allow us to buy something cheaper. Anyone who wants to buy furniture from Species can look for me I can off load the deposit to you at a discount can save you $400 further.

Hi guys,

My wife and myself signed up a furniture package with Species during an Expo fair sometime back in Apr(?) this year. It was for a L-shape sofa, dining table, 4x dining chairs and a coffee table. We were serviced by a lady named Candice. In my opinion, the price was a bit steep and we do not like how they added GST computation onto the invoice after we had negotiated the price. It had a taste of dishonesty in my mouth. However, we like the design and went ahead with the purchase, setting our delivery date sometime in July because we were unable to estimate when our renovation work will end then.

To my dismay, I chanced upon this thread (amongst others but this thread is still active) and heard of all the horror stories on mainly delivery and workmanship issue. I sympathise with all of the "victims" and I do not think any buyers will want to go through your horrible experiences.

I fixed the delivery date (20th Jun - today!) slightly more than a month before today and began calling them up 2 weeks before the delivery date. I even make a trip down to Species 1 week before the delivery date to make sure the delivery is on schedule. The delivery guys called me last Friday and delivered the furnitures within the promised delivery timing today.

2 guys came and they spent about 45 mins installing the furnitures in my living room. The furnitures were exactly how we envisaged and we had no issues with the condition of the furnitures. They even spent some time showing me how to extend my dining table properly. I am now typing out this on my laptop while sitting on my new sofa. Only time will tell if I will suffer any leather quality issue, so wish me luck.

All the best.

Regards,

S

And I agree with some of the forummers here:

1. Never pay the entire bill in full - they accept cash or cheque upon your acceptance of the furniture. Though the air miles were tempting if I were to pay the entire sum with my credit card, I felt more protected at the end of the day by just settling the remainder with a cheque.

2. The price of their furnitures is a bit steep for some of the items. If the quality matches up, I do not mind paying the premium though.

Happy hunting.

Actually, I personally find that their pricing is rather high. But I still end up buying a "L" shape fabric sofa and a dining table set from them for ard 3.7k where we could easily get a better deal at cellini or somewhere else :jawdrop:

But so far, I am quite satisfied with the purchases as we couldn't find any replica in the market after shopping for months. Only time will test the quality and durability of their products.

It is all on your personal opinion.

I belong to the category of people who are having disappointment after 1.5 years of usage with the sofa from Species. Leather is flaking and peeling off.

Bought it in late 2009 for $3.5k, it is an L shaped "Full Leather" sofa but based on my experience it most definitely is not. I have very young kids and elderly parents in the house but the sofa is only used at night as my parents are in their room most of the time. The sofa is maintained using leather cleaning kit about every 3-4 months but the threads are coming off and most importantly the leather are flaking and peeling.

Just called Species today and was told to send email with pics. Seems like this is an SOP and they've come across this issue many times before and I wasn't the first one(after reading this forum I definitely am not the first neither will I be the last). Realised they never stated in the invoice that it is full leather nor did it state the warranty period so we are screwed and looks like we have to fork out money for the upholstery based on comments in this forum. Someone tried the CASE route but with nothing in black and white it is a dead end. However would it be possible to document all the cases in this forum and use that as evidence that they are making fraudulent claims as to the quality and make of their sofa?

Will keep you guys posted on this saga.

For the record these are the pictures of the sofa => http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/7890485/1/Species%20Sofa?h=0aeb8f

Lastly, my advice for would be buyers of Species sofa is to make sure they put in writing that it is GENUINE FULL LEATHER SOFA and if they say Germany make sure they put the word Germany in the invoice. Also make sure they state clearly what the warranty terms are like if not just walk away from the deal. My best advice is DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM SPECIES!

I belong to the category of people who are having disappointment after 1.5 years of usage with the sofa from Species. Leather is flaking and peeling off.

Bought it in late 2009 for $3.5k, it is an L shaped "Full Leather" sofa but based on my experience it most definitely is not. I have very young kids and elderly parents in the house but the sofa is only used at night as my parents are in their room most of the time. The sofa is maintained using leather cleaning kit about every 3-4 months but the threads are coming off and most importantly the leather are flaking and peeling.

Just called Species today and was told to send email with pics. Seems like this is an SOP and they've come across this issue many times before and I wasn't the first one(after reading this forum I definitely am not the first neither will I be the last). Realised they never stated in the invoice that it is full leather nor did it state the warranty period so we are screwed and looks like we have to fork out money for the upholstery based on comments in this forum. Someone tried the CASE route but with nothing in black and white it is a dead end. However would it be possible to document all the cases in this forum and use that as evidence that they are making fraudulent claims as to the quality and make of their sofa?

Will keep you guys posted on this saga.

For the record these are the pictures of the sofa => http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/7890485/1/Species%20Sofa?h=0aeb8f

Lastly, my advice for would be buyers of Species sofa is to make sure they put in writing that it is GENUINE FULL LEATHER SOFA and if they say Germany make sure they put the word Germany in the invoice. Also make sure they state clearly what the warranty terms are like if not just walk away from the deal. My best advice is DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM SPECIES!

Why don't you scan your order and put it online, so that others can see what the order was for.

Why don't you scan your order and put it online, so that others can see what the order was for.

I wouldn't mind doing that if I know how it will help me in this case? The pictures are testament enough.

Anyway I am waiting for the guy to call, in the meantime I am asking a lawyer friend of mine for some legal advice as well. I might just do the stupid thing and sue this bugger even though the legal costs will be much more than what I will recoup. There are a few moe threads on this forum with regards to Species and I am documenting the cases. Seems like I might have a case here but we'll see.

Cheers!

I wouldn't mind doing that if I know how it will help me in this case? The pictures are testament enough.

Anyway I am waiting for the guy to call, in the meantime I am asking a lawyer friend of mine for some legal advice as well. I might just do the stupid thing and sue this bugger even though the legal costs will be much more than what I will recoup. There are a few moe threads on this forum with regards to Species and I am documenting the cases. Seems like I might have a case here but we'll see.

Cheers!

Based on the pictures you posted, it is very apparent that your sofa was made with PU leather, if your order says genuine leather then you have a case. If not, then very difficult because synthetic leather is still considered leather.

Spoke to Species and issue had been settled amicably. With regards to whether it is real leather or synthetic leather let's put it that we have agreed to disagree with each other. He has his point and view and so do I. We respect each others viewpoints and will leave it as such.

More importantly my issue has been quickly resolved(pending re-upholstery) and my rights as a customer has been professionally handled by the Species staff. There wasn't any unpleasant episode to talk about and I hope when I get my re-upholstered sofa back my confidence in Species will grow again.

I have decided to remove the photos as well because the reason I post them is not to embarrass Species but to prove that my case is genuine and my issue is real.

I won't do any more follow up postings unless there is something wrong with my re-upholstered sofa. ;)

arrgghh...we were in a rush to finalised our L-shape sofa for our id to work on the carpentry. had been to lorenzo, la cafa, marquis and species. like a sleek L-sofa at species and almost going down to may downpayment tonight. may pause and check out a few others after reading so much negative feedback. not rule them out yet, but may ask more questions. I guess in the end it is still a leap of faith as the product will only be available a month later, and some aspect of the quality will only show up 9 months to a year into it life...

Bros Sooks,

I also got their package inclusive of L-Shape Mavis Sofa, Coffee Table, Dinning Table with 4 chair and TV Console.

It will be delivered on 2 Sept 2011 except for the coffee table which one lady called me and informed me the Coffee Table shipment was delayed to 15 Sept 2011. It is still ok for me as coffee table not so critical but i dont quite like that they do not provided sat delivery, only monday to friday... which I have to take leave to collect those furniture.

Will updated you on the delivery and product quality.

Regards

Desmond Kok

thx desmond,didn't know delivery is only on weekday. we have not looked at other furnishings yet except sofa the dimensions are needed for other carpentry. the one that attracted our attention is leather 'itatian' looking l-sofa. will defer decision till tuesday, deadline. will check out a few more: mondi, mode studio & xzqt.

arrgghh...we were in a rush to finalised our L-shape sofa for our id to work on the carpentry. had been to lorenzo, la cafa, marquis and species. like a sleek L-sofa at species and almost going down to may downpayment tonight. may pause and check out a few others after reading so much negative feedback. not rule them out yet, but may ask more questions. I guess in the end it is still a leap of faith as the product will only be available a month later, and some aspect of the quality will only show up 9 months to a year into it life...

Hi Sooks,

I think you don’t need to be worry too much. Cos I’m also one of Species customer. I bought a sofa and a dining set form Kris. Already deliver up afew months back. They’re service not too bad and the sofa nicely done. Maybe you can look for her. As I mention above sometime forums can’t be trusted 100%. Cos I’m in car trade also got a lot of bad remark. As I say which trade got no bad remark? Even a 5 star hotel also got bad remark. Try not to listen too much from others. Just go from your heart which one you really like. Never try never know. Just like choosing your future love one. Ha! Happy Buying..:)

Hi Sooks,

I think you don’t need to be worry too much. Cos I’m also one of Species customer. I bought a sofa and a dining set form Kris. Already deliver up afew months back. They’re service not too bad and the sofa nicely done. Maybe you can look for her. As I mention above sometime forums can’t be trusted 100%. Cos I’m in car trade also got a lot of bad remark. As I say which trade got no bad remark? Even a 5 star hotel also got bad remark. Try not to listen too much from others. Just go from your heart which one you really like. Never try never know. Just like choosing your future love one. Ha! Happy Buying..:)

Not true... I buy from them and their product really cant make it... defects and 2 month waiting for replacement...

U will regret if u buy from them