Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

dots... you're meeting him tonight?? what time? I set up appointment with him for today at 5pm... i hope he's not gonna fly aeroplane with either of us =p

我是个台湾人,因为工作的关系住在新加坡快五年 ’刚买了房子装修完,发现新加坡设计公司(装修公司)给我们"假的"油漆,

我们真的投诉无门,希望大家评评理

我们选了一间不便宜的设计公司"Lourve,设计师Dennis在与我们讨论油漆时我们选择了ICI "light and space"

还有"all in one"二种油漆分别涂在厨房跟所有其它的地方,总共报价1700

大概只有1400平方尺的空间,因为我本身对於油漆味及一些化学原料过敏,全身会开始起红疹,心跳加快

所以我们愿意付高价选择ICI标榜低VOC的二个有环保标章的油漆,却没有想到房子在交屋的过程,我们发现他们

竟然给我们的是"Maxilite"油漆!!明明是Maxilite的油漆桶,却贴上"all in one"或者是"light and space"的油漆编号标签,

我们深感被骗!! 我与老公二个人直接找ICI总公司的人投诉,得到的回应竟然是"就算用的是maxilite的油漆,

油漆干掉后的一星期,就不会再有味道及化学原料散出"而打发了我们,

而Lourve公司又说如果我们真的在意,那可以请我们搬出去,他们会派人重新涂上一层我们要的油漆!

我们不知道到底是哪里出了问题,会让ICI明明知道这种油漆公司会拿"Maxilite"的油漆假装是"all in one"....

或其它有环保标章的产品来贩卖给消费者,却无能为力,无法可管!!!而我们也不是在新加坡第一件发生这样事情的消费者

在大律师不愿意接这种虽然是欺骗案子却是小案例,去case要等三个月之下 纵使我们握有证据及ICI的化验报告

我们只能放弃追诉,并接受此L公司的"小小赔偿",我们万万没有想到在法律甚严,人人守法的新加坡会发生这样的

欺骗消费者事件,这和之前中国不肖商人卖假奶粉毒死很多的婴儿有什么两样??只是用不好的油漆毒不死人,所以没有人

愿意在意~~而我们除了痛心也对新加坡愈来愈失去信心!!!

:curse:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Well, I think it's an excuse to say that "I have no budget, so I go for cheap and don't mind a non-registered contractor".

There're plenty of contractors who are registered and still cheap. (This is when you gotta do your homework to find a suitable one).

I also on very tight budget. Just graduated from school and just started working, where got $$$ to buy house and do renovation? Everything depends on loan now. So I'm still on my way to find a good and cheap contractor (not settle yet), but definitely I wont go for a non-registered one.

Being computer illiterate and don't apply for a proper licence, is just an excuse. He can pay a little of money or favor to get someone else to do it. That person can be his son/daughter, his brother/sister, his neighbor, his relatives, friends ...

Another thing I want to mention here (actually I've read it somewhere in this topic, from another member) that it is possible that there're some people who get referal fee from Ah Soon, and that makes Ah Soon become so popular and overrated... I don't want to point fingers, but it might be true...

Like we all know that if we bring contractor to see lights, he will get referral fees from the lightshop.. This is what I read from the lighting topics.

Thanks rock, just thought I copied whats on HDB website and share with all to dispell any misconceptions or doubts that some might have

Lifted from FAQ of HDB

Q: I want to renovate my flat. Can I engage an interior design company that is not a HDB-registered contractor?

[ Home Owners > Looking For A Renovation Contractor ]

A: Yes, as long as the renovations are carried out by a HDB-registered contractor. In other words, you or the interior design company must still engage a HDB-registered contractor to carry out the works.

HDB does not regulate interior design works in HDB flats.

Q: Can I engage a renovation contractor that is not on the list provided by HDB?

[ Home Owners > Looking For A Renovation Contractor ]

A: No. You must engage a renovation contractor that is registered with HDB.

Can I sign the renovation contracts with a contractor not registered

with HDB?

Contractors not registered with HDB are not allowed to carry out any renovation works in

HDB flats. Therefore, you must not sign any contract with any contractor not registered

with HDB to renovate your flat.

Who will be held responsible if the renovation work in my flat does

not comply with HDB's requirements or are unauthorised?

As the flat owner, you are responsible for the renovation work carried out in your flat.

Therefore you are to ensure that the works carried out by your renovation contractor is

according to HDB's requirement.

If you need any clarification, please contact the HDB Branch Office Service Line at Tel No.

1800-2255432.

Hi 12digit,

Here are the criteria from HDB

Applicant's company has to be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) for a minimum of ONE year without any blemished records;

Applicant must possess THREE years experience in the renovation works and must be actively involved in the renovation trade. For evaluation of the company's performance, applicant is required to submit FIVE invoices for renovation works with an accumulative sum of not less than $50,000/-; and

Applicant must satisfy the HDB that he has sufficient financial resources and with proper staff establishment.

For Private Limited company, the minimum paid up capital is $30,000/-.

Not sure but seems like from HDB info, the unblemished record requirement is actually 1yr instead of 3 yrs

Below is another info lifted out from HDB website

13. Use of Name or Permit

The Contractor shall

not lend or allow to be used its name /logo and/or its HDB renovation registration in any application for a renovation permit unless the Contractor is executing all the Works stipulated in the application.

not execute any Works for and on behalf of any contractors who are not registered under the HDB Registered Renovation Contractors' Scheme.

Edited by ncy

Hi rock, yes I do hope he gets his license eventually so that its legit. And by doing so, I believe he can garner more trust from more of his customers that will eventually reccomend others and his client base can snowball.

hi ncy, Ah Soon did share with wife and me some of his history in the industry.

the license used to renovate rock's place was actually a partnership between ah soon and his other partners but he decided to close it down after discovering frequent inconsistency in the accounts(dishonest partners).

i think he started on his own(Fu Hwa) last year.

As for the license, HDB only allow contractors to apply for a HDB license,

1. after 3 years in the renovation business with no blemishes in the company records

2. have at least 5 completed projects worth at least $50000

i think one of the reasons why he didn't or couldn't apply for the license is because he don't fulfill the requirement in point 1.

plus with very urgent jobs that involves masonry causes more hollow tiles problems too.

i gave them ample time for masonry works at least less than 5 hollow tiles were found.

Hi,

I just saw this thread. Wow.. 10pages and some 'heaty' exchanges.

I am also looking for a renovator to do up my place. So just want to share my thoughts.

Initially after reading all the raves in some T-blogs about Uncle Soon, I was pretty set to engage him though I have never meet him or get afew quotes. I am pretty sold with all the ravings about the cheap and good reno, with all the freebies. Of course, I also read about his aeroplane style and like the fews here, I also think its alright to be more proactive to balance off the 'goodies' from it.

However, recently.. i read quite a few t-blogs where the owners feel much anguish about the delays in HO, no works done in their houses for days as well as poor workmanship (hollow tiles, scratched laminated, dented console, wrong placement of tiles directions etc).. until a point where the house owners just give up on their retifications, though they have fully paid up. I really feel upset to read those t-blogs and I don't know why all these reminds me to Lawry's blog. It give me the feeling like there's nothing you can do except to stay with the 'defects', since they just cant be bother to do the things proper. The only difference is... at least Lawry still managed to keep the last 10% (or is it 5%) for the retifications.

Sorry, I don't mean to cause Uncle to lose his business. But I think he should really buck up and finish off all the defects for those owners. I think there are quite a few here who really know this Uncle well, it will be good that you guys help to push him for it. Otherwise, I don't think its good to recommend him on the forum (though there is some disclaimer that uncle is very busy man).

Not everyone read all the t-blog, I happen to be free during this period and quite constantly followup with some. I think for those who just read a few of those highly raved blog, they might just commited without knowing the full picture.

PS. this is not directed at anyone, hope you guys don't feel offended.

hi rasp,

that is 'brave' of u to bring up.. :P

anyway, no reno is perfect... his price is kind of 'attractive' so his business his good... so maybe due to that, he is really short handed and seems he can't manage...

like what all others had said, if u engage him, be prepared for these issues in return of a 'attractive' price... unless u have time and can wait...

I will so want to engage him if I can have time for proper project management, one reason why these defects come up. And probably too many are now*(typo) engaging him and spreading his time thin and those he let to take over the job/sub-contract out didnt do such a great job. That's one reason why I've yet to call him for quotation. Thanks Rasp for bringing that up as I've seen that in a few t-blog these few days too.

Edited by merryman

hi rasp,

that is 'brave' of u to bring up.. :P

anyway, no reno is perfect... his price is kind of 'attractive' so his business his good... so maybe due to that, he is really short handed and seems he can't manage...

like what all others had said, if u engage him, be prepared for these issues in return of a 'attractive' price... unless u have time and can wait...

Hi,

I just saw this thread. Wow.. 10pages and some 'heaty' exchanges.

I am also looking for a renovator to do up my place. So just want to share my thoughts.

Initially after reading all the raves in some T-blogs about Uncle Soon, I was pretty set to engage him though I have never meet him or get afew quotes. I am pretty sold with all the ravings about the cheap and good reno, with all the freebies. Of course, I also read about his aeroplane style and like the fews here, I also think its alright to be more proactive to balance off the 'goodies' from it.

However, recently.. i read quite a few t-blogs where the owners feel much anguish about the delays in HO, no works done in their houses for days as well as poor workmanship (hollow tiles, scratched laminated, dented console, wrong placement of tiles directions etc).. until a point where the house owners just give up on their retifications, though they have fully paid up. I really feel upset to read those t-blogs and I don't know why all these reminds me to Lawry's blog. It give me the feeling like there's nothing you can do except to stay with the 'defects', since they just cant be bother to do the things proper. The only difference is... at least Lawry still managed to keep the last 10% (or is it 5%) for the retifications.

Sorry, I don't mean to cause Uncle to lose his business. But I think he should really buck up and finish off all the defects for those owners. I think there are quite a few here who really know this Uncle well, it will be good that you guys help to push him for it. Otherwise, I don't think its good to recommend him on the forum (though there is some disclaimer that uncle is very busy man).

Not everyone read all the t-blog, I happen to be free during this period and quite constantly followup with some. I think for those who just read a few of those highly raved blog, they might just commited without knowing the full picture.

PS. this is not directed at anyone, hope you guys don't feel offended.

"Ta "Ta" is "Durian" season. :notti: sound familiar..

I think we are a bit out of topic. 8|

not a bit.. it is VERY VERY out of topic!!