Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
"hello world". Does this add more dreadful years to u.. hehehe :D .. Hee.. I am out of the programming loop. Lucky me. :P

adding on to your disclaimer; it must fit my budget. haha. If I have no budget, I will make a solid gold toilet bowl and basins. :P

8| ya... hello world. "Pointer" here n "pointer" there somemore! I'm out of it too! :P

Got budget of cos gd!!! if i got budget, i'll engage someone to do and buy everything for me. just need to sit there shake leg wait for my house to be ready! That's a dream thou. :notti:

Edited by mrspiglet

red devil... u must be doing too much programming. U just reminded me of my dreadful 4yrs! :bleah:

It seems that's the way how the industry works? At the end of the day, i think wats impt for me (disclaimer: only me myself and I, not one else has to agree with me :)) is that (1) i get a valid permit - no issue with HDB, (2) i get my reno completed to my satisfaction

"hello world". Does this add more dreadful years to u.. hehehe :D .. Hee.. I am out of the programming loop. Lucky me. :P

adding on to your disclaimer; it must fit my budget. haha. If I have no budget, I will make a solid gold toilet bowl and basins. :P

Edited by red_devil

你们真的是很“lor sooooo"! :P 第九页了,还在说。

老妈常说“公说公有理,婆说婆有理。再说下去可以演 TVB:家好月圆 part II liao. :P

It depends utimately on your life experience you encountered....luck....how you define workmanship against your own yardstick...how u view risk.... your tolerance level and many others, before you conclude to an decision. If not, everyone would be engaging Ah Soon isn't it. which is not true....some of us choose IDs or other contractors like Mr Yeak. :rolleyes: There are always some threshold factors in every individual decision.

If "you like to diy design completely and participate in it" <- cause this is a fun process. :P

engage a contractor.

else

engage a ID.

End if

This is one of the fundamental you need to agree before engaging a contractor. And then u decide later which contractor to choose.

hmm....But my current flat which was done by an ID use another company which is a contractor to apply for permit. Likewise, my sister's who engage a contractor instead of a ID uses another contractor to apply for permit too. Hmm...so piggybacking for me seems fine...I think so long as the permit is paste on the reno flat is fine? :unsure:

red devil... u must be doing too much programming. U just reminded me of my dreadful 4yrs! :bleah:

It seems that's the way how the industry works? At the end of the day, i think wats impt for me (disclaimer: only me myself and I, no one else has to agree with me :)) is that (1) i get a valid permit - no issue with HDB, (2) i get my reno completed to my satisfaction

Edited by mrspiglet

It depends utimately on your life experience you encountered....luck....how you define workmanship against your own yardstick...how u view risk.... your tolerance level and many others, before you conclude to an decision. If not, everyone would be engaging Ah Soon isn't it. which is not true....some of us choose IDs or other contractors like Mr Yeak. :rolleyes: There are always some threshold factors in every individual decision.

If "you like to diy design completely and participate in it" <- cause this is a fun process. :P

engage a contractor.

else

engage a ID.

End if

This is one of the fundamental you need to agree before engaging a contractor. And then u decide later which contractor to choose.

Your mom very funny!!! :P haha but so true.

mm I think for Uncle to learn computer language it'll be super difficult.. My parents know English but they are still struggling with the computer... Uncle... worse. At least he has these two helpers now. I think I did hear him say that he sends someone else to do the permits... :)

uncle came to my place earlier so i brought up the issue of him and the HDB license. he said that he uses this company to apply for permits as this guy used to be his partner but they split cos he said the company was in a mess. however, he continued to use them to apply for permits since himself and the old partner have an understanding.

disclaimer: to this point i do not agree with piggybacking on another company over this permit issue...

so i asked why does he not get another license for himself. he replied that he didnt bcos in the past, he just had to go down to hdb to apply but now it is all online so him being computer illiterate, he did not do so. well not that i think it is an excuse but we all know uncle is the sort where he rather not do it and rather do it the old fashion way, ringing his ex partner and telling him to apply it for him.

i highlighted that there are some people who wants to go by the books and engage a hdb contractor for their renovation. he said that if they are not comfortable with him then so be it. and that having a license does not mean much.

so in case some are wondering why no "supporter" is addressing this issue, here it is, straight from the horse's mouth.

P.S: i think he is getting alan to do the permits for him.

hmm....But my current flat which was done by an ID use another company which is a contractor to apply for permit. Likewise, my sister's who engage a contractor instead of a ID uses another contractor to apply for permit too. Hmm...so piggybacking for me seems fine...I think so long as the permit is paste on the reno flat is fine? :unsure:

uncle came to my place earlier so i brought up the issue of him and the HDB license. he said that he uses this company to apply for permits as this guy used to be his partner but they split cos he said the company was in a mess. however, he continued to use them to apply for permits since himself and the old partner have an understanding.

disclaimer: to this point i do not agree with piggybacking on another company over this permit issue...

so i asked why does he not get another license for himself. he replied that he didnt bcos in the past, he just had to go down to hdb to apply but now it is all online so him being computer illiterate, he did not do so. well not that i think it is an excuse but we all know uncle is the sort where he rather not do it and rather do it the old fashion way, ringing his ex partner and telling him to apply it for him.

i highlighted that there are some people who wants to go by the books and engage a hdb contractor for their renovation. he said that if they are not comfortable with him then so be it. and that having a license does not mean much.

so in case some are wondering why no "supporter" is addressing this issue, here it is, straight from the horse's mouth.

just as I suspect... some language (computer language this case) reason :D

engage a contractor.

else

engage a ID.

End if

ha... My wife rachel also same patteren like you .

Sometime , she can get quite irritated when henry (my contractor) is only late for like 20min . I will always try to be the one who play the good guy saying thing like "ai ya .... pp also got other project mah. Got customer in his place mah ... 20min nia ... at least he got call us in advance mah ... etc etc

ha ... I believe every contractor got his pro and con . At the end of the day, it's to get the job done and everyone is happy.

Rachel sometime also angry that I too KPO . keep saying stuff like "Ai ya he will know how to do one lah. Y u so KPO" . But my style is better to be safe then sorry. I dun care how much experience henry had, but I just like to remind , remind and remind .... ha

Haha...my hubby can be quite "naggy" as well sometimes (he also admits it himself lolz!) and he has a very high standard in terms of design and workmanship. So if he finds some flaws in the design and workmanship, I think he will nag the contractor until he rectifies it haha...

For me, I care more about punctuality and realiability...as in, if you tell me you can complete this in two weeks, then better complete it by then, unless got some major hiccups which must be mentioned to me beforehand...not just wait until last minute only then tell me have to delay...

:) worldangel... I'm glad that you made a decision suitable for yourself and that's good cos it probably means you can choose someone who you will really be able to work with and have a happy reno. :)

Yup...I think every contractor has his/her own pros and cons ba. Just have to see which cons you can take/tolerate/accept...and doesn't mean that if a contractor is good for others, it will be suitable for you as well cos different people have different personality..

I called Ah Soon to ask whether he can renovate my house for me and he said he was in the middle of something and would get back to me...that was a week ago and he never called me back at all.

Also after I read all the comments on his working style, I understand I might not be able to take it as I can be quite an impatient person (as in I want things to be done efficiently) and don't like people to fly aeroplanes...so I guess I will be going to another contractor to help me with my renovation...

ha... My wife rachel also same patteren like you .

Sometime , she can get quite irritated when henry (my contractor) is only late for like 20min . I will always try to be the one who play the good guy saying thing like "ai ya .... pp also got other project mah. Got customer in his place mah ... 20min nia ... at least he got call us in advance mah ... etc etc

ha ... I believe every contractor got his pro and con . At the end of the day, it's to get the job done and everyone is happy.

Rachel sometime also angry that I too KPO . keep saying stuff like "Ai ya he will know how to do one lah. Y u so KPO" . But my style is better to be safe then sorry. I dun care how much experience henry had, but I just like to remind , remind and remind .... ha

:) worldangel... I'm glad that you made a decision suitable for yourself and that's good cos it probably means you can choose someone who you will really be able to work with and have a happy reno. :)

I called Ah Soon to ask whether he can renovate my house for me and he said he was in the middle of something and would get back to me...that was a week ago and he never called me back at all.

Also after I read all the comments on his working style, I understand I might not be able to take it as I can be quite an impatient person (as in I want things to be done efficiently) and don't like people to fly aeroplanes...so I guess I will be going to another contractor to help me with my renovation...

Aubrey...grr...F4? passe leh :( *opps...digressed* who started it huh?

uncle still owes me 2 things. my eye-peep hole on the door and the mosaics to rectify. he remembers...and I hope the guys come early on sat to finish the jobs so that I can go jalan ja;an...need to comb thru Taka sales!!! Time to buy clothes for my kids!!!

Not me not me not me... I saw it somewhere in your thread one.. really... not I start one...

ehhh F4 is not passe anymore. It's the new In actually. The korean version one! I can't believe I am so lame and watch the whole show through youtube liao :x The korean version really are eye candies man.

ok ok ... scram!! Pet will scold!! cos we talk irrelevant things again :x

Run Ivy Run!

Good quote from <GrandPapa from Fengshui thread>

In my world A is the correct concept.

In your world B is the correct concept.

I dont see a need to convert anyone to my world and my concept. Nor do i see a need to be converted to your concept.

For I dont see a need to win, its only a fight of ego which is unnecessary.

You are free to believe me or yourself. If you think you are right, you are right. If you think I am right, you are right too.

You have a choice. If you think i am a experience person, you are right, if you think i am not, you are right too if you view from your point of view, from your world.

Totally agree. We're all different in our own ways and are entitled to be different in the things we say. :)

I once vowed that I will no longer act like a mad woman when someone says something different. Looks like that needs a little more training... :P

After reading through this rather lively thread on Ah Soon, I gather that everytime there is a thread on him and his work/working style, what follows inevitably is a series of mudslinging between bouquets and brickbats for him.

No wrong or harm in either, as both provide a more realistic and balanced POV for everyone. But I feel somehow, tension is heightened due to the manner in which some points are sometimes communicated, and when people are overly assertive and/or defensive, and perhaps also a wrong choice of words or a lack of tact in conveying a point coupled with an online textual environment, end up creating misunderstandings.

Bearing in mind the Godpapa quote, I think sometimes we just need to take a step back and chill and perhaps view things in a more positive perspective.

My 2 Rupiah's worth of thoughts:

Whatever the case is, the big picture is a 360 degree circle and the purpose is to enjoy our Reno, which is proclaimed to be the 2nd most stressful event in one's life apart from the death or a loved one. Its your house, its your life to be lived there. Yes, there will be stressful moments and frustration with any ID or contractor. But hey, even if there are any of those moments, there's always comfort food like chocolate or fast food, thundering down the highway in your car or going to the top of your block and shouting it out. Or better yet, coming online to RT here and have a nice friendly chat and/or gripe with the many nice people here in a postive way. :)

What a nice objective post. ;)