Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

hmm...can someone tell me...Lehman bros bankrupt hor :P:o:rolleyes:

they have like 97years of history?

tell you if they are that old? i dunno leh, me only 30 :D

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

after lunch effect leh, still give me block of text to read... haha...

i think whatever are the good and bad of ah soon has already been repeated many times le.... whoever read through will know bah...

:D

aubrey

well ncy, your points have been made and have resonated very well throughout this thread. we are only humans and we do get emotional. it seem like if i were an ah soon customer and i get emotional in my posts, i am branded an ah soon supporter who gets emotional, what is up with that?

and if u said it is well known, why then, is there the start of round 2 of his same weakness and strengths? yes it invites comments due to his (over)exposure but i think what has been said should be made to pass. i cant help but feel like u are force-feeding your views on this issue when your views have been addressed. point taken! so if u go on and on and refuse to move on, can one not feeling like u are turning this thread into "your" platform?

Whats up with that aubrey is your statement on this is my thread statement. I think its equitable justice that you pull a fast one on me and I reciprocate the same. That makes us level at 1-1. So if you still cant let it slide, I dont mind continue this discussion with you.

You can choose to see it as force feeding, I choose to see it as reiterating. What does this bring us? A difference in opinions. And thats normal in a healthy discussion. Dont you think so? But never ever, accuse me of something I am not. I can choose to say what I like and when I like it as long as I am not degrading someone, got it?

blackcar

1) I will manage my contractor on the agreed deadline and not the other way round. Then again, how many home owners will go to the extend to sue the contractors in the event of missing the Handover deadlines? Till date i havent heard of any, most of the home owners will endure. Maybe i m wrong, anyone can comment on this area?

Have u met ah soon in person? If not, i guess it is difficult to explain in words how to deal with him. He is kinda of person whom believe in man of words, so going black and white with him will turn him off. He would prefer not to take yr business. I m not encouraging the home owners here to take all these risk, but this is how i felt about him.

2) Ah soon is not a licensed contractor could e a risk? What kinda of risk you may think it will occured? As i have mentioned previously, as long as the contractor obtain legal ways to get yr renovation approval from the authority is most matter rite? If not how can ah soon been doing renovation for so many HDB houses? No?

Blackcar, in my line of job, to safeguard co interest is my utmost priority. And thats the reason why we have remedial clauses that protects the interest of both parties when we hit a wall. I believe its not so much of suing but contractors must agree to a certain remedial actions if its up to his or her own negligence, not force majuere. If its a force majuere event, no one can be blamed for that.

Personally I have not met Ah Soon, but I only hear good things about him thus far...well mostly. So I go with the majority that he's an easy going guy. But then again being nice and doing biz is 2 different things. If someone feels that Ah Soon be turned off with signing a good piece of contract to address all the prevailing issues that might cropped up, then its up to the individual's preference and appetite for risk. I believe there is no right or wrong to that.

As for Ah Soon not being a licensed contractor, what risks will incur, I believe one forummer did spell out the risk somewhere here. But I could be wrong nor will I want to pretend to be an expert in deducing what kind of difficulties that we might get into. Maybe HDB knows best.

From a layman perspective and deduction, I am sure to piggy back on another's person's license is not really approriate. Again this is my layman point of view only. And how come he had been doing this for many yrs and nothing ever happened? I mean "touch wood", I guess if all happens smoothly, I reckoned there wont be any issues. Again its up to individuals appetite for risk and preference. Just to comment further that it doesnt mean if one is doing something wrong and he is scot free, it doesnt absolve him/her of the wrongs he/she had done.

We are now living in a downturn. China is expected to register only a single digit growth for the first time in decades, Spore economy is expected to contract even further. This are bad times. And banks had been quite stringent on loan approvals and cash flows might be a problem to some doing business out there. As a consumer, its always wise to know that handling a situation during the good times could be different when one is in turbulent times like now.

Just my 2 cents worth.

After reading through this rather lively thread on Ah Soon, I gather that everytime there is a thread on him and his work/working style, what follows inevitably is a series of mudslinging between bouquets and brickbats for him.

No wrong or harm in either, as both provide a more realistic and balanced POV for everyone. But I feel somehow, tension is heightened due to the manner in which some points are sometimes communicated, and when people are overly assertive and/or defensive, and perhaps also a wrong choice of words or a lack of tact in conveying a point coupled with an online textual environment, end up creating misunderstandings.

Bearing in mind the Godpapa quote, I think sometimes we just need to take a step back and chill and perhaps view things in a more positive perspective.

My 2 Rupiah's worth of thoughts:

- Ah Soon ain't God nor a Superhero.

He is neither underrated, nor overrated. From the many actual homes and T-blogs I've visited, personally, I'd rate the quality of his work as above average or good - Meaning 3.5 to 4.5 out of a 5 point scale. But hey, that's my opinion and I don't speak for everyone cos' its different strokes for different folks. But if one needs to personally assess the quality of his work and/or working style, its out in the open for all to see and derive their own judgements, with a little personal initiative of course. :)

- Ah Soon is Highly Elusive.

But that's not because he's a dodgy character or because he's escaping to Indonesia in a improvised flotation device. :)

When he's busy, it means he's running around from estate to estate and home to home to sort out the work issues of his customers and at the same time, try to meet as many of his future potential customers. With his 'so many things, so little time' choc-a-block schedule, I think one can and should manage one's own expectations and understand why sometimes he's not able to keep appointments or is late.

To give an example, I was set to meet him at 7pm one Wednesday evening, but in the end he turns up at 1040pm. But he did call me at 10pm and asked nicely if its alright if he could have his dinner first. So in the light of these circumstances, its up to an indivudual how they wish to react to such incidences and if they'd wish to implant some understanding and empathy that goes a long way in the whole reno process and in terms of living one's life. If one feels that its too much to take and give, and as long Ah Soon's on your payroll, he should be at your beck and call, then obviously Ah Soon's not the contractor for you.

- Ah Soon is not Licensed.

I think this is open for all to know as well. But perhaps its also good to note that many IDs out there do not hold the license as well and like Ah Soon, also rely on another Licensed contractor for the license to get the necessary HDB Approval. Yes, there are also bad and unscroupolous IDs and contractors out there, both with and without licenses. There are always risks in everything we undertake. Hence the purpose of this thread and other T-blogs detailing Ah Soon's work is to leave it to viewers to decide on what risks or adversities they'd have to bear by engaging Ah Soon. But from his track record, I'm sure he'll be a safer bet than minibonds. :)

Although, the risk of hiring Ah Soon has always been aired, has anyone ever thought about the risks Ah Soon takes when undertaking a job? As I posted in another thread, there are times where he has lost money through some financial arrangements brought about by his kind understanding of his customers' financial needs/issues?

In the bigger picture, I believe that why many customers develop personal affinity towards Ah Soon is because there must be something different about his personality/character that makes them feel comfortable or appreciative about him. Perhaps its his honest and sincere nature, perhaps its his fatherly touch or perhaps he just lives by his own simple mantra of trying to fulfil people's dream home as best as he can within their budget. Likewise, some might even view the negative extreme to assume all Ah Soon cares about is his retirement slush fund.

Whatever the case is, the big picture is a 360 degree circle and the purpose is to enjoy our Reno, which is proclaimed to be the 2nd most stressful event in one's life apart from the death or a loved one. Its your house, its your life to be lived there. Yes, there will be stressful moments and frustration with any ID or contractor. But hey, even if there are any of those moments, there's always comfort food like chocolate or fast food, thundering down the highway in your car or going to the top of your block and shouting it out. Or better yet, coming online to RT here and have a nice friendly chat and/or gripe with the many nice people here in a postive way. :)

Edited by adrian_john

merryman, give gongkia some face lah...he seldom appear de :P

at least the major things over liao i can breathe better already. still waiting for my dining chairs and bedframes for the kids...

i'm agreeing with him mah :P lucky you :D

merryman, give gongkia some face lah...he seldom appear de :P

at least the major things over liao i can breathe better already. still waiting for my dining chairs and bedframes for the kids...

I like this quote. How true. I believe, people here just share their personal views on things which are nothing wrong but maybe holding too strong on their personal views. Since all the points are brought across, we all know what we want, be it to continue using him or not, that's up to the individual. Let's all move on and have fun renovating! (i know it's nv fun but still try to be bah :P )

yalar, where got fun :P costly and tiring :D only fun when adding things to the new place :D

Good quote from <GrandPapa from Fengshui thread>

In my world A is the correct concept.

In your world B is the correct concept.

I dont see a need to convert anyone to my world and my concept. Nor do i see a need to be converted to your concept.

For I dont see a need to win, its only a fight of ego which is unnecessary.

You are free to believe me or yourself. If you think you are right, you are right. If you think I am right, you are right too.

You have a choice. If you think i am a experience person, you are right, if you think i am not, you are right too if you view from your point of view, from your world.

I like this quote. How true. I believe, people here just share their personal views on things which are nothing wrong but maybe holding too strong on their personal views. Since all the points are brought across, we all know what we want, be it to continue using him or not, that's up to the individual. Let's all move on and have fun renovating! (i know it's nv fun but still try to be bah :P )

Good quote from <GrandPapa from Fengshui thread>

In my world A is the correct concept.

In your world B is the correct concept.

I dont see a need to convert anyone to my world and my concept. Nor do i see a need to be converted to your concept.

For I dont see a need to win, its only a fight of ego which is unnecessary.

You are free to believe me or yourself. If you think you are right, you are right. If you think I am right, you are right too.

You have a choice. If you think i am a experience person, you are right, if you think i am not, you are right too if you view from your point of view, from your world.