Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DKCH

2-bedroom Unit At Lorong Chuan

Another big item that needs to be purchased soon would be a mattress. Lots of them over at Expo now. So many that I got totally confused!

I only had enough stamina to try out Simmons, MaxCoil and Dunlopillo. Simmons seems to be out of my budget. For about SGD2k, I am getting the 2nd lowest range matress. With MaxCoil, they're selling SGD1899 for mattress with latex top OR memory foam. Then, tried Dunlopillo. Their Duchess series (older version, top layer thinner, but who cares) is going for SGD1799, and their Royal Premier for SGD2099. Oh, prices don't include bedframes.

Ran out of stamina from lying down on mattresses and asking countless questions. Will be going back again with the missus. Her turn to lie down! :D

hahahah..for us, we decided on the brand first then went to try one by one. almost didn't feel like coming out of the showroom!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi DKCH,

We also shopping around for the washing machine. Was told if want to wash comforter, curtains etc.. need at least 8kg else cant stuff into the washing machine. Not sure if its true but this was told by different staff from different shops. :)

Yeah the insulation is drilled through the walls and through false ceiling and inside the walls. I think... As in, don't have those casings that will be running along the corners of walls and ceilings.

I just got back from Home Design and Deco at Expo. ClosetDesign is there. They have special prices for the fair. I only checked the pole system. They are selling at SGD200 per foot run instead of the regular SGD220 (without doors). So, save a bit more. Then, the whole system will come with 4 drawers. It is an additional SGD80 per drawer (with soft closing system). Other than that, no limits on the number of poles or shelves or hanger bars.

You should check out Alumix. Last I checked, they were cheaper than ClosetDesign. Will be going over to their place at Toa Payoh again for one last recce before deciding already.

Oh and I just checked Gain City at AMK. Their Samsung washer WF7650 is going for SGD549 only. About 200 dollars less than normal. But it can only handle 6.5kg load, maybe a bit low for my clothes and bedsheets and comforter etc etc...

Decisions, decisions...

The other time we visited CLoset Design, we were quoted the following:

$200 pfr comes with

- 4 drawers with soft closing

- 2 drawers full extension (erm..cant remember what is it le)

- one trouser hanger (foc)

- one panel mirror (foc)

and yeah, the poles, shelves, hang bars unlimited ;)

What a long day! Spent the morning at Ubin cycling, then headed over to Expo again since it was near. This time with the wife.

1. Put in the deposit for the clothes hanger. This model: http://www.tame.com.sg/images/p2.2.jpg. So, now just waiting for my place to be ready.

2. Bought Simmons mattress Premium series King size. Comes with two Deep Sleep pillows and Simmons mattress protector. Actually just put in a 100 dollar deposit, still not sure about it. But then, after looking at countless models, I am all ready to give up and just go with this. It's not too bad anyway for SGD2500.

More on mattresses, we were actually considering Simmons that is imported directly from the USA. There is this new place called Mattress Giant located along Balestier Road that is like a P.I. for Simmons. Their mattresses are REALLY comfy! And cheaper than the like-for-like model sold by Simmons. I was all ready to go for that, but there was just one problem: the size. For the US model, the size is 193cmx203cm, which is bigger than the standard 180cmx203cm. This will be quite problematic when you want to find a bedframe or bedsheets. However, I travel to the states once in a while for work so bedsheets not a big issue. Only thing is the bedframe... Also, the warranty for the PI model is 12 years. However, you can't go to Simmons Singapore (authorized dealer is Ackerby and something...). You can only go to Mattress Giant.

Anyway, for you guys who are going with tatami concept, then this is a pretty good deal. I just got back from Takashimaya and was asking the sales assistant at Sheridan. She says they don't sell 193cmx203cm, but their 180cmx203cm should be able to handle the US size provided the thickness does not go above 15inches. If you decide to go to Mattress Giant, go look for this 50+ year old guy, called Mr Kim. He provided me with a lot a lot of information. And he really slashed the price down for me.

Still feeling bad that I did not buy from him. But I did promise that I would recommend him to other people. So, here it is: recommendation. Just tell him that Daniel recommends. The guy who was all wishy-washy at the expo. :D

Yup!! I also found the-no-washing-of towels very strange when I see it online. mm...the electrolux that u shortlisted will be able to fit your washing needs :D

I still remember that time when my htb and I went to source for bed and washing machine. Almost fainted from the amount of choices available.

Good luck!

Thanks. I almost fainted deciding on Simmons. Washing machine next.... :P

The other time we visited CLoset Design, we were quoted the following:

$200 pfr comes with

- 4 drawers with soft closing

- 2 drawers full extension (erm..cant remember what is it le)

- one trouser hanger (foc)

- one panel mirror (foc)

and yeah, the poles, shelves, hang bars unlimited ;)

Oh chey, so no difference getting from expo... zz

Thanks. I almost fainted deciding on Simmons. Washing machine next.... :P

hahaha..washing machine ar...not that bad la..at least u have decided on the front load. how about brand? or any specific functions? maybe we can help u search?

hee....htb and i have a liking towards Simmons bed :D we think that the quality is worth the price. i'm not saying that other brands not good..just that simmons can just let us feel that we will a good night sleep if we sleep in it. hahahah...getting crazy over simmons bed le..

hahaha..washing machine ar...not that bad la..at least u have decided on the front load. how about brand? or any specific functions? maybe we can help u search?

hee....htb and i have a liking towards Simmons bed :D we think that the quality is worth the price. i'm not saying that other brands not good..just that simmons can just let us feel that we will a good night sleep if we sleep in it. hahahah...getting crazy over simmons bed le..

Haha, yeah I hope the Simmons will turn out fine. Gonna be a long term investment.

For washing machine, deciding between the Electrolux Time Manager and Samsung. Yeah front loading. Load about 7.5kg or so. So far, have seen Samsung models 8700 and 8702... both seem ok. Thinking of going to recce other brands, but then, again... headache. Hahah!

Haha, yeah I hope the Simmons will turn out fine. Gonna be a long term investment.

For washing machine, deciding between the Electrolux Time Manager and Samsung. Yeah front loading. Load about 7.5kg or so. So far, have seen Samsung models 8700 and 8702... both seem ok. Thinking of going to recce other brands, but then, again... headache. Hahah!

errr..actually ar...did u ask ur ID/contractor what is the max dimension of ur WM area? can those that u are considering fit in?

errr..actually ar...did u ask ur ID/contractor what is the max dimension of ur WM area? can those that u are considering fit in?

She has been asking me for ages for the dimensions of the washing machine and fridge. Haha! Just told her that I would be looking at the range of 600x600 for the WM, and maximum 900mm for the fridge. That should be a safe...

Actually it's only the WM that needs the kerb because it is in the yard. It is sort of end of the yard so the width doesn't really matter. It is more of the depth. And dimensions of washing machines don't really differ by that much.

As for fridge, no kerb because it is in the kitchen. Won't be doing heavy duty washing (read, flooding). Only will be having a table top counter next to it. So, width of 900mm should do. :)

Btw, anyone knows when is the ghost month starting? My scheduled completion of my reno looks to be right middle of August...

Aug 20th! i am trying to plan all wedding arrangements before the ghost mth too! quite rush...

YIKES! My wedding dinner is going to be on the 15th of August. Then, I managed to get matrimonial leave until the 19th of August. So, 19th August is last date! Going to be exciting! Good luck to you too! :good:

wah all ur planning jus right then! :)

hehe! 15th Aug 09 is our 10th yr pak toh anniversary! my wedding also Aug 15th but chinese one, 八月十五! :P

Ah, finally bought my fridge and washing machine!

For the fridge, I was actually planning to get the Samsung RT58EAMT, which was retailing at SGD999 at Gaincity. So, the wife and I went over to Everjoint to find out how much they were selling it. However, I was informed that this model is an outdated one and that it has problems of sweating. So, I was recommended the Hitachi RZ541AMS. Apparently, this is a new model which is of better technology than the Samsung. And, they were selling it at SGD799.

Then, for the washing machine, my eyes were already set for the Samsung WF8702. In Gaincity, they were selling it for SGD829. Then, at Everjoint, they were selling it at SGD739.

So, it is true: Everjoint is cheap! And their salesperson is very knowledgable and helpful. Really learnt a lot of things from him.

Anyway, we did not buy in Everjoint! We went to Gaincity and asked them for their best prices. In the end, they managed to match what Everjoint gave, and, they also threw in a free chordless steam iron to go with the Hitachi fridge. So, we went ahead with Gaincity. Will be arriving in August.

Tomorrow, renovation will continue. Time to monitor the workers again!