Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DKCH

2-bedroom Unit At Lorong Chuan

After months of voyeuring t-blogs, it is time to start my own t-blog.

But firstly, have to go upload some photos at some servers. Stay tuned!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Congrates on ur new home! Looking forward to the pics. :D

Hi hi thanks! Still trying to figure out how to upload pics and add links to them. Hehe. But the pictures will be coming up.

Ok, here is the floor plan of my place. It is a total of 915 square feet, 2 bedroom unit. Problem is no store room, so gotta have lots of storage space.

Used a digital camera to take the picture of the floor plan on a folded piece of paper, so some crooked lines...

floorplan.th.jpg

Looking forward for the pictures. Btw ur place is super near to my office, I am working at lorong chuan too.

New Tech Park? :P

Okay, here are some pictures of the place as we got it.

Living room, looking from the window inwards:

img3994j.th.jpg

img3993.th.jpg

The bar counter is going to be removed.

Common bedroom which is going to be left intact.

img3989.th.jpg

Kitchen cabinets and yard outside the window. Gonna redo the cabinets, put in new tiles, and rearrange the floorplan of the place. So, windows will be gone. A bit complicated and the fact that the DB is in the kitchen on the wall between the dining and kitchen doesn't help.

img3988p.th.jpg

img3987.th.jpg

Master bedroom, huge closet which is gonna go because it is a bit too dated. Table which was probably used for the computer and books by the tenant who was living here. Also going to be removed.

img3992.th.jpg

img3991r.th.jpg

Common bathroom. Gonna redo this as well as the master bedroom bathroom. Layout pretty much the same except that the master bedroom bathroom has a bath tub and it is broader.

img3990n.th.jpg

This place is a quite old, about 12 years old. That's why gonna be doing quite major works. I've already appointed someone to do this place up. Hacking work started this morning. Was there when everything was being knocked down. Will continue until tomorrow and, hopefully, small touch-ups on Monday.

Actually, we got the keys to the place first half of May but we're only starting the works now. Mainly because of procrastinating (gonna hurt my pocket, paying rent now and mortgage). But also, had a bit of run-in with the previous owner with regards to the actual size of the place and the size that they told us. So, we were barred from entering the place before getting the keys for measurement etc etc. Long long story.

But, good thing is that things are finally underway.

In a nutshell, going to be:

1. hacking living room tiles, all the built-in stuff.

2. laying homo tiles in living room, kitchen floor and walls, yard, both toilets floors and walls.

3. false ceiling and L-box in living room.

4. kitchen cabinets, changing position of the two doors in the kitchen to have more functional room.

5. tv console and feature wall.

6. study ledge in common room.

7. plaster wall in MBR to have a WIW.

8. redo the toilets.

Total cost, projecting to be about 40k. Ouch.

Have u shortlised any ID/contractor? wat theme do u have in mind???

Yeah, actually we spent a few months choosing an ID/contractor. In the end, we have chosen one. Can't really reveal the company now because of some complications, but once that is over, I will say. Then, if work is good, then good lah. If not good, then people will also know that it's not good ;)

With regards to theme, the missus and I are thinking of using mostly earth colours. Trying to stay away from pastel or bright colours. But, depending on what drawings the ID can produce, we may change our minds still...

More updates!

After the hacking on Thursday, nothing was done on Friday because I was overseas. Wonder why the ID didn't have anything done that day. Hmmm...

Anyway this morning (Monday), went to the new unit at 10AM. Met up with the aircond guy. Wife and I were deciding whether to get a System 3 or a System 2 for the place. The FCU in the common bedroom is still working fine, though it's about 5 years old. To do up a System 3 and replace all FCU, with changing of trunking (concealed), we were going to be charged SGD3650. 22000 BTU for living room, 12000 BTU for MBR and 9000 BTU for common bedroom.

In the end, we decided to ask the guy to fix up a System 3 compressor, but to only change the MBR and living room FCUs since those are in bad shape. Charged SGD3000 for that. I made a deal with the guy. He will give me a good price for a 9000BTU FCU should my common room FCU die in future. Hope he remembers me!

Then, tiler came along. ID and I told him where we wanted the tiles to be, and how they should be laid.

Next, electrician dropped by. Told him where we wanted our power points, lighting points, switches etc etc. He was going to supply MK switches. However, the wife and I wanted to get LeGrand switches. Electrician says that it will cost 20% more! Felt that it is kind of a rip off. So, we decided to get our own switches.

So, off to Choo Chiang we went. Got ourselves the grey LeGrand switches from there. Really a lot cheaper than what they sell outside. My Mandarin is quite lousy, but my wife speaks quite okay Mandarin, so she managed to get a cheaper electrician contact from the Choo Chiang staff should we decide to change electricians. Don't think we will change now, but at least we have options in future.

Tomorrow, the plumber will be coming to do the pipings.

More updates on the way!